P4U Arcade release date is in March

#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

Originally, the game was stated to hit arcades in Spring 2012, but now Atlus has narrowed things down a bit and have confirmed that Persona 4: TUiMA will be released in arcades in early March. Console releases are still planned for the vague timeframe of "Summer 2012", though... 

New pics: 

Nothing really new about those pics, but one change from older builds of the game is the new Persona gauge that was first seen at the most recent Loketest. It went from this: 

To four tarot cards. 

Source
#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

Really curious how the competitive scene for this game will be in the US.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

Is fat Mega Man a PS3 only character? Wait, wrong fighting game.

Neat, I guess. I dunno, I don't really have much interest in it beyond the Persona 4 name.

#4 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

The same as all other Arc System games likely; very small and very dedicated.

#5 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said: 

This has the Persona name and Atlus name associated with it. Two popular brands.
#6 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

They'll need it. The game needs more balance tweeks and a few months in arcade rotation will make it perfect when it comes home.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

This has the Persona name and Atlus name associated with it. Two mildly popular brands.

and they're really the same brand

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@Animasta said: 

Well, that's not really true, Your avatar proves it.
#9 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said: 

But you can't deny that the SMT brand is such a big part of Atlus that pratically every fan of Atlus is also an SMT fan. 

EDIT: I noticed i really sounded like an ass in this comment. So, sorry for that.
#10 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

if I didn't have the erica picture I would probably have Kanji, so nope! but Catherine didn't sell that much more, and even if they did, the people who played Catherine* might not be interested in a fighting game.

*besides the people who played competitive Catherine

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

@SoldierG654342 said:

@JJOR64 said:

Yeah, you are probably right. Anime fighters aren't super huge in the US.

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@MikeGosot: Yeah, there's no doubt about that. But... 

@Animasta: That's not what I'm saying. Not all Atlus fans are Persona fans. Not everyone who played and enjoyed Catherine has interest in the Persona series, either. But I know of some who have played Catherine and because of that are interested in what comes from Atlus next, P4U being one of these things.
#13 Posted by Sanj (2391 posts) -

Damn it, it seems like it'll be at least Q1 2013 before we see this game hit the west.

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@Sanj: Not necessarily since this is a fighting game. The amount of fighting games that have a significant gap between North American and Japanese releases is extremely small nowadays. And this isn't an RPG and probably won't need a large amount of localizing.
#15 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

This has the Persona name and Atlus name associated with it. Two popular brands.

But as far as the competitive scene goes (which is where my statement was directed) Arc System games don't draw a big scene. BlazBlu was dropped form EVO this year.

And Persona isn't that popular in the US. It does good numbers because Atlus knows it's audience and releases accordingly. Most Atlus games would be tremendous failures if they printed Final Fantasy numbers. But since they don't they're able to turn a profit and continue releasing other niche games.

#16 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@SoldierG654342: Yeah, but don't you think basing a (capable) fighting game on a popular brand would make for an initial popularity boost compared to other titles which would in turn increase its popularity in the competitive scene? 

Well, Persona 4 is popular enough for it to get its own fighting game, and magazine, and stage show, and spin-off novel, and remake/re-release... I think it would help it compared to a new IP like BlazBlue was when it first released.
#17 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

That's some gorgeous lookin' 2D right there.

#18 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SoldierG654342: Yeah, but don't you think basing a (capable) fighting game on a popular brand would make for an initial popularity boost compared to other titles which would in turn increase its popularity in the competitive scene?

It certainly won't hurt, but Arc System games just don't have a lot of traction in the US. Once the novelty of watching Yukiko beat up Kanji wares off, it'll fade in popularity. And besides, I'm willing to bet that the cross-section of people into Persona and the people who are into Arc System games is pretty wide, so attaching the Persona name to it isn't going to draw in a ton of people who weren't already on board with another Arc System game to begin with.

#19 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

The only fighting game I've ever wanted

Sooo North American/European release dates on console? Anything about that? Wondering the same thing about Golden

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@Venatio said: 

Sooo North American/European release dates on console? Anything about that? Wondering the same thing about Golden

No NA release dates for P4U or P4G.
#21 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@SoldierG654342 said: 

Both of which are still small compared to most other fighting games people can think of.  We're not going to see Capcom fighting game level of popularity or anything close to that.
#22 Edited by Venatio (4491 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Venatio said:

Is it really that hard for them to put an english language option in those two games in the version released in Japan? I love the english voice but after watching the anime for 15 episodes I really appreciate the japanese voices too

#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -
@Turambar said: 
Both of which are still small compared to most other fighting games people can think of.  We're not going to see Capcom fighting game level of popularity or anything close to that.
Yeah...? I've got no objections there.
#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Venatio said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Venatio said:

Is it really that hard for them to put an english language option in those two games in the version released in Japan? I love the english voice but after watching the anime for 15 episodes I really appreciate the japanese voices too

I so wish they would, the majority of the Japanese cast is soooooooooo much better in my opinion.

I can live with the English cast though.

#25 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

Golden will be dubbed. Arena? Even dubbed they could easily do a worldwide (as long as you ignore Europe) release but that doesn't look like its going to happen.

#26 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

But as far as the competitive scene goes (which is where my statement was directed) Arc System games don't draw a big scene. BlazBlu was dropped form EVO this year.

And Persona isn't that popular in the US. It does good numbers because Atlus knows it's audience and releases accordingly. Most Atlus games would be tremendous failures if they printed Final Fantasy numbers. But since they don't they're able to turn a profit and continue releasing other niche games.

Final Fantasy is huge though. Only a handful of titles wouldn't be tremendous failures if they reached FF numbers. Persona, at least, is a significantly bigger license than ArcSys usually deals with. 

@endaround said:

that doesn't look like its going to happen.

Why not? Atlus doesn't usually announces it stuff until close to the JP release date anyway. We could totally still get a day and date release of P4U.

@Venatio
I wouldn't count on it. Atlus US has been pretty stubbornly 1 language only. I'm 100% okay with it, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.