Persona 4 Arena easter eggs! (Possible spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheChadster789 (28 posts) -

Just thought I'd get a thread going, I've noticed a few this already in the story mode.

In Charlie's (damnit! that's his name!) room that he has a Catherine calender.

In Yosuke's room his bike has "ATLUS" on it, also on the left side of the screen above his desk I've noticed 2 of the album covers on the CD rack; Nickelback and Linkin Park next to each other.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -

The true end of Chie's story mode has her writing a letter with the word "TESTED" prominently displayed on a box. Doesn't mean anything, really, but I found it funny.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I also noticed the catherine poster in Charlie's room.

#4 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

When I saw Yu's room, I immediately look at the calender because in P4 it was a Persona 3 calender and now, it's a Catherine calender.

#5 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1072 posts) -

@TheChadster789 said:

Just thought I'd get a thread going, I've noticed a few this already in the story mode.

In Yosuke's room his bike has "ATLUS" on it, also on the left side of the screen above his desk I've noticed 2 of the album covers on the CD rack; Nickelback and Linkin Park next to each other.

Nickelback? I don't think I like Yosuke anymore :P

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

The true end of Chie's story mode has her writing a letter with the word "TESTED" prominently displayed on a box. Doesn't mean anything, really, but I found it funny.

She also has a Tested sticker in her bedroom in the beginning of her story. What does it all mean?!?!

#7 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Surprised there aren't any Giantbomb nods in it. That Endurance Run was super popular and made the game even more popular. Maybe it just wasn't found yet but yeh.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -
@LethalKi11ler

Surprised there aren't any Giantbomb nods in it. That Endurance Run was super popular and made the game even more popular. Maybe it just wasn't found yet but yeh.

Please tell me you're joking. Giant Bomb references were never going to be in this game. To think otherwise is giving the ER far more credit than it deserves.

But speaking of references, Rise's Guilty Gear reference in the start of a match made me lose it the first time I heard it.
#9 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Akihiko's arcade mode got a good GG reference.

"Heaven or Hell...which is it?"

@IrrelevantJohn

said:

@TheChadster789 said:

Dude. Out of all the characters in the Persona series, Yosuke is THE guy I'd expect to listen to Nickelback. This is so fitting.
#10 Posted by TheChadster789 (28 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn said:

@TheChadster789 said:

Those were my thoughts exactly, here's the album in question. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/AllTheRightReasons.jpg

I'm positive the one next to it is "Minutes to Midnight" http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7a/Minutes_to_Midnight_cover.jpg

#11 Posted by Dawglet (312 posts) -

Now when you go back to play Persona 4 you can look at Yosuke in battle and know that he's probably listening to Linkin Park or Nickelback.

...Great.

#12 Edited by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

Please tell me you're joking. Giant Bomb references were never going to be in this game. To think otherwise is giving the ER far more credit than it deserves. But speaking of references, Rise's Guilty Gear reference in the start of a match made me lose it the first time I heard it.

god you sure get really angry whenever someone mentions that

#13 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

Please tell me you're joking. Giant Bomb references were never going to be in this game. To think otherwise is giving the ER far more credit than it deserves. But speaking of references, Rise's Guilty Gear reference in the start of a match made me lose it the first time I heard it.

Now I'm no Persona scientist but, I'm pretty sure the only reason Persona 4 sold any copies at all was because of the ER.

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9952 posts) -

I heard that Atlus was inspired to make Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

If by anger you mean annoyance, then sure. It's just amazing how insular the community is when it comes to the ER and the awareness of others outside Giant Bomb regarding the game's existence.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (8251 posts) -

@Brodehouse: :D:D:D:D:D

#17 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

@TechHits: Not true, they had an established fan base from Persona 3 beforehand.

@LethalKi11ler said:

It might not be because of the ER but their is a funky student reference in the achievements.

#18 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

If by anger you mean annoyance, then sure. It's just amazing how insular the community is when it comes to the ER and the awareness of others outside Giant Bomb regarding the game's existence.

You can be a bit nicer though. P4 is how found GB though, not the other way around.

The Atlus localization team knew about the ER though so there could have been some weird reference to it. People probably would be pissy though since it wouldn't follow the original Japanese close enough.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

Everyone knows that the ER is the reason that Persona 4 exists. Everything is before the ER, because it is the best thing in the history of space and time.

#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5266 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@TechHits: Not true, they had an established fan base from Persona 3 beforehand.

I think he was joking.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

You can be a bit nicer though. P4 is how found GB though, not the other way around.

The Atlus localization team knew about the ER though so there could have been some weird reference to it. People probably would be pissy though since it wouldn't follow the original Japanese close enough.

It already diverges from the Japanese, though. I've never once encountered anyone pissy that they renamed Kuma to Teddie or anything like that.

#22 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

@Hailinel: During the Quick Look EX of Persona 4 Arena, Ryan and Aram from Atlus specifically say that they get a lot of questions regarding Yu's name and that specific awareness is directly tied to the ER. Might not have been seen by millions but easily tens of thousands of people no? Oh and Kuma is Bear in Japanese or Teddie even so that's just a translation.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -

@LethalKi11ler said:

@Hailinel: During the Quick Look EX of Persona 4 Arena, Ryan and Aram from Atlus specifically say that they get a lot of questions regarding Yu's name and that specific awareness is directly tied to the ER. Might not have been seen by millions but easily tens of thousands of people no? Oh and Kuma is Bear in Japanese or Teddie even so that's just a translation.

That's not reason enough to throw a Giant Bomb reference into the game. Persona 4 already had a dedicated following prior to the ER, which in turn is no different than any number of Let's Plays you'd find on Youtube. The only difference being that it was Jeff and Vinny at the mic.

And of course Kuma is "bear" in Japanese, but if accuracy were of the utmost importance, they would have left his name as Kuma because that's what his name is in the Japanese version. Teddie just resonates better with an English-speaking audience.

#24 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Hailinel going all nerd rage mode up in here.

#25 Posted by Baillie (4179 posts) -

I hadn't heard of Persona 4, let alone Shin Megami Tensei before. The P4 boards would be wastelands if it wasn't for the ER. Wastelands.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

You call this nerd rage? Dude, I'm perfectly calm. And judging by your response in another thread, you could do better than post a lame image macro as a comeback. If you want to see true nerd rage, maybe you should visit someplace like 4chan, or something and get some perspective.

#27 Posted by Milkman (16805 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@LethalKi11ler

I don't think there should be a Giant Bomb reference in the game but to completely disregard any effect that the Endurance Run may have had on the game's popularity seems dumb. Persona has a very niche crowd in the US and while that crowd is still very niche, the ER did expand that audience. I know I, for one, would have never thought twice about Persona 4 if not for the ER. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

#28 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@Baillie said:

I hadn't heard of Persona 4, let alone Shin Megami Tensei before. The P4 boards would be wastelands if it wasn't for the ER. Wastelands.

Even when the Endurance Run was ongoing, most of my Persona 4 discussion occurred outside of Giant Bomb. Giant Bomb's Persona 4 boards were still a relative wasteland.

#29 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

You call this nerd rage? Dude, I'm perfectly calm. And judging by your response in another thread, you could do better than post a lame image macro as a comeback. If you want to see true nerd rage, maybe you should visit someplace like 4chan, or something and get some perspective.

I apologize as I meant that comment in jest. I'm also sorry for using such an image that you did not deem worthy enough to be used as a comeback.
#30 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

@Baillie said:

Even when the Endurance Run was ongoing, most of my Persona 4 discussion occurred outside of Giant Bomb. Giant Bomb's Persona 4 boards were still a relative wasteland.

It was by far the most active board on GB at the time. Hell, it didn't start leaving the top 10 until a year and a half after the ER ended or something crazy like that.
#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19346 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

@Baillie said:

You're insane if you think the Persona 4 boards were anything close to a wasteland when the ER was going.

#32 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

The ER is what made me give a fuck about P4. Same for Deadly Premonition

#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

And even more active discussion was ocurring elsewhere during those same periods. My point was, the Giant Bomb forums are not representative of the Persona 4 fandom. Especially before the ER. People here tend to play and discuss the same games the staff do. There are outliers though, and that's always nice to see.

One of the reasons P4 discussions managed to occur with such frequency is that the ER actually managed to pull in existing fans from other sites. I know this because I was on an external forum promoting the Endurance Run. I saw discussion of this feature from people who hadn't even heard of Giant Bomb before. It worked both ways.

Yeah, it wasn't really a wasteland. But it wasn't really one before either. I just checked. For a game the staff weren't talking about, it had an above-average amount of discussion. I should have said that, instead of the hyperbolic thing I actually said.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (24854 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@LordAndrew said:

@Baillie said:

It was by far the most active board on GB at the time. Hell, it didn't start leaving the top 10 until a year and a half after the ER ended or something crazy like that.

I think it's more accurate to say that while the Persona 4 forums were incredibly active compared to the other forums on Giant Bomb, outside of Giant Bomb, there were communities that were far more active.

#35 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3102 posts) -

@Bocam said:

The ER is what made me give a fuck about P4. Same for Deadly Premonition

Funnily enough, the ER is what made me give a fuck about Giant Bomb. I loved Persona 4 way before I knew who the fuck Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella were, and if it weren't for my obsessive love of watching Let's Plays at the time I probably wouldn't have even ended up here.

#36 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1248 posts) -

The ER sold me a copy of P4 so I do have to credit Giant Bomb for exposing me to P4 and am thankful that they did that!

#37 Posted by ZombiePie (5673 posts) -

This thread is being locked, but not because the topic in and of itself is in violation of any rules. Instead it is being locked because the thread has become horribly derailed from the original discussion topic. Let it be know to all users who posted here that participating in the derailing of a thread is prohibited and clearly defined as being so on our Forum Rules. When posting please have the foresight to either comment on what the subject of the thread is about or do not comment at all.

Now if any person would like to discuss Easter Eggs in Persona 4 Arena they are more than welcomed to do so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.