Retain Original Voice Cast

• 54 results
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -
#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

They're "trying their best". Next thing you know, everyone's voiced by someone different except for Kanji.

Only thing really of note out of Jabbari's post was the fact that the game is definitely coming out in August.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5404 posts) -

Well Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal seem to have a great relationship with atlus. I can't imagine Johnny Yong Bosch and Liam O'Brien turning it down. Actually I can't imagine anyone turning it down.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

What if they got Keith David to voice Teddie.

Tell me you'd be completely upset with that decision.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The only way I can see this not working out is if any of the voice actors couldn't participate due to scheduling conflicts.

#6 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1743 posts) -

Doesn't Persona 4: The Golden have new voice work? Oh God, imagine if they can't get the original cast for that.

#7 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I sure hope it's the original cast. Would not feel right otherwise.

#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Nah, I'm pretty sure that all of the original voice actors, even the Persona 3 ones, will be back. Still, this isn't a confirmation.

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Doesn't Persona 4: The Golden have new voice work? Oh God, imagine if they can't get the original cast for that.

Ha, that'd be hilarious. One line of dialogue would be Yuri Lowenthal and the next from the same character would be Nolan North.

#9 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: All the new lines are done by Nolan North :D

#11 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

Nolan North as EVERYONE

I don't know how I would feel about that. But god it would be hilarious.

#12 Posted by Pepsiman (2491 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure that all of the original voice actors, even the Persona 3 ones, will be back. Still, this isn't a confirmation.

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Ha, that'd be hilarious. One line of dialogue would be Yuri Lowenthal and the next from the same character would be Nolan North.

That scenario actually happens at one point during Devil Survivor Overclock where a random police NPC initially voiced by somebody I don't know starts blabbering about how freaked out he is only to switch mid-monologue into Johnny Yong Bosch. Still very obviously the same character that's supposed to be talking; just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

#13 Posted by SomeJerk (3396 posts) -

As long as they dump the goddamn honorifics I'm okay

#14 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

just have nolan north do them all

#15 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

Eh, it hasn't been that long since Persona 4 and a lot of the voice actors they usually use don't seem to be that hard to get a hold of, if you play a game it's a good chance one of those dudes is voicing something in it. They're more prominent than Nolan North.

#16 Edited by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

Not necessarily - it's quite possible that there was an issue with the recording of the original, could be technical, the performance itself, or a last minute script tweak, and they didn't have the time or money to get that actor back for just those lines. It's not unheard of in anime dubs, or other video games - I seem to recall there were a couple of mid-conversation actor switches in Fallout 3.

Oh, and yeah, really hope they get everyone back - especially Jeff and Vinny. :D

#17 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

@Landon said:

English cast was better than the Japanese cast. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

BRING IT! In August apparantly...

#18 Posted by Pepsiman (2491 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: True. I've thought of those things, too. I'm just not accustomed to those sorts of things with Atlus dubs in particular, so that's why it stood out so much for me. I know that in an ideal world they probably wouldn't have let things stay like that, but yeah.

#19 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

I don't think there will be any issue at all getting most of the English VAs. They're all pretty prominent, with the exception of Naoto who I haven't heard do anything else but I could be mistaken.

@Landon said:

I thought some were better in English and some better in Japanese.

#20 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

Isn't Yukiko's VA done with voice work? I remember hearing something like that.

#21 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

I hope and believe they will get the old cast together for this, would be so weird if they went with other voice actors...

#22 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1602 posts) -

This is definitely encouraging news. And if they can pull this off, and reassemble the Investigation Team America Edition, then it's safe to assume they'd have less difficulty bringing them back for P4 The Golden as well. Fingers crossed it all works out! That voice cast was so central to my enjoyment of P4 that I really hope that they can pull this off and get the team back together.

#23 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Isn't Yukiko's VA done with voice work? I remember hearing something like that.

According to Wikipedia, her son had cancer so she stopped doing work for a while but he recovered like 4 years ago, and Persona 4 came out around then so I think she's still hanging around. She did a few extra voices in Saint's Row: The Third apparently.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Landon said:

Japanese Chie was a lot better, English Chie sounds like she's in her thirties.

#25 Edited by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

They got the original voice cast for Persona 3 back for Persona 3 Portable. That at least gives me a little faith. I mean, they'd *better* be getting the cast back together. They have 3 different Persona 4 things to localize (the fighting game, The Golden, and the Anime). Might as well do it all at once, aye?

Personally, I hope they have Cam Clarke do all the voices.

#26 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

I think its possible that they can get all of the voice actress/actors back on since looking at their profiles show that they are open and are still doing work on video games. I think its a matter of when they're available to come to the recording studio (PCB Production) for a recording session. BTW the studio they use looks pretty nice: http://www.atlus.com/pd9.php

#27 Posted by Hector (3380 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

haha. That would be really awkward but it would be so grand at the same time.

#28 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

I think this is your first post that i don't agree with. Seriously, i can't stand Japanese Chie. It's downright annoying and horrible. Ugh.
#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I have no interest in actually buying this game, but I would buy it if they did that.

#30 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Starring Jeremy Irons as Kanji. Yeah!

#31 Posted by Zeik (2770 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

I think this is your first post that i don't agree with. Seriously, i can't stand Japanese Chie. It's downright annoying and horrible. Ugh.

I don't know if I'd call it "horrible", but it is fairly annoying and so not the Chie I know and love. Japanese Chie is probably the biggest reason I'll never be able to enjoy the Japanese dub.

#32 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Zeik said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Sooty said:

@Landon said:

I don't know if I'd call it "horrible", but it is fairly annoying and so not the Chie I know and love. Japanese Chie is probably the biggest reason I'll never be able to enjoy the Japanese dub.

Yeah, maybe i was being harsh... But, i seriously can't stand that voice. Ugh.
#33 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

Chie's Japanese VA is fine you all are crazy.

I like both the English and Japanese voice actors, like the the Japanese ones slightly more though.

#34 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Man I'd die inside if they didn't get the whole voice cast back. Especially since I'd imagine they'd be working on P4G and the anime too. It just wouldn't be the same.

#35 Posted by Zeik (2770 posts) -

@SilvarusLupus said:

Chie's Japanese VA is fine you all are crazy.

I like both the English and Japanese voice actors, like the the Japanese ones slightly more though.

It's not bad, but high pitched Japanese voices tend to get annoying before long. Just watching matches with Chie in them is a little annoying, I don't think I could handle hours and hours of it in a fighter.

Mostly though it's simply that I'm used to her English voice, so her Japanese voice just doesn't sound like Chie anymore.

#36 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

They are all journeyman voice actors. Other than an unlikely schedule clash I can't see anyone turning it down. The "trying" bit just means they don't have everyone under contract to do it as yet.

#37 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

That would be unbearlievable!

#38 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

@alternate said:

They are all journeyman voice actors. Other than an unlikely schedule clash I can't see anyone turning it down. The "trying" bit just means they don't have everyone under contract to do it as yet.

It also Atlus's policy to not be 100% sure that things will work out and let all of their customers know in the beginning until they got what they need to be sure. The same thing applies to licensing games, their not sure if they can bring a game over until they get thing in place to make the announcement.

#39 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I have no interest in actually buying this game, but I would buy it if they did that.

They'll have my money when Teddie says "YOU CAN GO FUCK YOUR SELF, I'M NOT PUTTING ON THE DAMN GLASSES" and then gets into a 7 minute fist fight.

#40 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (771 posts) -

If they can't get everyone back, just reuse voice clips from Persona 4.

Actually, that's what I was expecting in the first place.

#41 Posted by Bigheart711 (1240 posts) -

I think they will retain the original cast, but I'm really neutral about this matter. It wouldn't bother me if some of the voice actors weren't from the original roster for P4 or P3 (Except Charlie. I'm a bit territorial about his even though he doesn't have much of one). They would also have to end up adding another VA for Labyrs' role anyway.

#42 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

@PerfidiousSinn said:

If they can't get everyone back, just reuse voice clips from Persona 4.

Actually, that's what I was expecting in the first place.

Most likely not. Everything is completely new dialog and lines.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Djratchet said:

@RockmanBionics said:

Nolan North as EVERYONE

I don't know how I would feel about that. But god it would be hilarious.

I'd pay good money to hear him say "Aha--is this our chance?" in bored monotone.

#44 Posted by Oni (2114 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Pepsiman said:

just somebody at Atlus USA slipped up when coordinating that line of dialog. Very surreal to witness.

Not necessarily - it's quite possible that there was an issue with the recording of the original, could be technical, the performance itself, or a last minute script tweak, and they didn't have the time or money to get that actor back for just those lines. It's not unheard of in anime dubs, or other video games - I seem to recall there were a couple of mid-conversation actor switches in Fallout 3.

Oh, and yeah, really hope they get everyone back - especially Jeff and Vinny. :D

This happens very noticeably in Skyrim as well, with the Greybeard duder.

#45 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -
@Nottle said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

They'll have my money when Teddie says "YOU CAN GO FUCK YOUR SELF, I'M NOT PUTTING ON THE DAMN GLASSES" and then gets into a 7 minute fist fight.

HAHAHA Nice reference, sir!
#46 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
#47 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
#49 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -
#50 Posted by punisherkaos (278 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I hope she can at least sound somewhat similar i mean sure she sounds like 40 but man hearing another noticeably different voice coming outta chie is gonna be really weird

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.