Should Persona 4 Arena be part of the MLG scene?

#1 Posted by Bloo561 (105 posts) -

If you guys have not heard yet a lot of persona and gaming fans said that P4U could have a chance to be part of MLG. There is also a petition to show Atlus and MLG that P4U will have a lot of support. So I want to know your guys option. Should P4U be part of MLG fighting game scene. I personally think that it should because it has that potential to be a fan giver and the gameplay is not to basic to the point of just the combos in the combo videos of all the characters. It also be the first anime fighter since blazeblue to be in the company.

#2 Posted by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

Arc System Works lol.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Yes.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9578 posts) -

Those guys hate Arc games wicked bad. They actually take glee in shitting on anyone who enjoys them. Man, fuck those guys, what a bunch of fucking assholes.

#5 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

If it's a video game, it should be part of MLG. Persona 4 Arena is a video game. So I vote yes.

#6 Posted by Carryboy (630 posts) -

I dont think MLG will want it frankly they have already given up with KOF.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

@Carryboy said:

they have already given up with KOF.

Really? I'm not too knowledgeable about the competitive scene yet, but what's MLG's deal? Why would games like KoF or ASW games be rejected from a venue for competitive play?

#8 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ low turn out, last mlg event had 18 ppl in kof. Not worth putting effort if no one shows up to play
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

@SlightConfuse: Oh, then that totally makes sense. Then I think that MLG should at least try P4A out and if it gets popular enough they should keep it. No harm in an attempt.

#10 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

Looking to the future, I think the likely scenario is that MLG stick with NetherRealm and Namco games (until such a time comes when a deal with Capcom can be worked out).

  • They've got games that are well-known with the average gamer in the USA and had decent numbers of entrants at the previous 2 events in Mortal Kombat and Soulcalibur V
  • They've got 2 obvious replacements in Injustice: Gods Among Us and Tekken Tag Tournament 2

It would make more sense to split the fighting game prize money evenly between those 2 rather than risk having an unknown like P4A. MLG isn't going to get large amounts of Eastern players like EVO did, they're better off catering to games that more Americans play.

I'm sure Persona 4 Arena will be a main EVO 2013 tournament, which means you'll be seeing plenty of it from January through to July in the Road to EVO season.

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (7987 posts) -

Not big enough, no way jose.

Arc games are niche within niche unfortunately. Making a game with the Persona license won't do anything to change that and might even make it collapse upon itself.

#12 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Is a fighting game so why not

#13 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Is a fighting game so why not

Because it would be bad for business.

#14 Edited by Bloo561 (105 posts) -

@FLStyle: Because it would be bad for business.

Thats why they should try it out and see what happens like FluxWaveZ said. It wouldn't hurt to try and find out the appeal level of the game.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23861 posts) -

I think MLG is bad for the scene in general.

#16 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

MLG and FGC don't mix. Get that shit outta here

#17 Posted by JeanLuc (3571 posts) -

As long as its at EVO then I'm happy.

#18 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

@Bloo561 said:

@FLStyle: Because it would be bad for business.

Thats why they should try it out and see what happens like FluxWaveZ said. It wouldn't hurt to try and find out the appeal level of the game.

That's exactly why they shouldn't try it out because they'll waste time, money and resources on an unknown game that isn't a sequel on something with a proven track record (with an unpredictable sales performance, no-one can guess how many sales P4A will make) that has no evidence to suggest that it would surpass the entrance numbers of MK and ScV to begin with.

MLG is a business, the people in charge don't care about finding out the appeal of anything, they're in it to cash in on what's already popular. That's the cold hard reality.

#19 Posted by Seroth (711 posts) -

Yeah, they should have Persona 4 at MLG. Also, the FGC should stop this stupid feud they have with "e-sports" and MLG.

#20 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

@Seroth: Why?

#21 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

No cause fuck mlg.

#22 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Sure. Why not? They take Mortal Kombat seriously. That's not as bad as taking Street Fighter X Tekken seriously though.

#23 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I think no, because there are too many other fighting games MLG is missing. As for EVO and other tournaments I would like to see it there because there is no current Arc System game there.

#24 Posted by EXTomar (4494 posts) -

Fighting games are being dwarfed by Starcraft 2 and LoL. I would think a game like P4A would be fun in an "Omegathon" style contest but making a whole season out of this game...I'm not sure that could work.

#25 Posted by Seroth (711 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@Seroth: Why?

Why what? Why should they have Persona 4 Arena at MLG? 'cause I think it'd be cool to watch. If you're gonna go about how they shouldn't do it because it doesn't make business sense. Okay. Whatever. I still think they should do it because I'm not running MLG. I'm a spectator that wants to see cool stuff.

Or why should the FGC stop their stupid feud with e-sports? Because it's stupid.

#26 Edited by Bloo561 (105 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

That's exactly why they shouldn't try it out because they'll waste time, money and resources on an unknown game that isn't a sequel on something with a proven track record (with an unpredictable sales performance, no-one can guess how many sales P4A will make) that has no evidence to suggest that it would surpass the entrance numbers of MK and ScV to begin with.

MLG is a business, the people in charge don't care about finding out the appeal of anything, they're in it to cash in on what's already popular. That's the cold hard reality.

I can see where you coming from about them of caring about the fan and more about cashing in on a popular median. But I got two questions for you

1. May I remind you that P4 is one of the top selling games on the ps2 AND the team at Atlus said this will be a SEQUEL to that game. So you saying that a game that is popular AROUND THE WORLD and mostly in Japan can't be a game seller?

2. How you think they pick those games in the first place? They check the conversions of the game and the appeal of the game of the fans and by the forums of this game this game will have a lot of support

#27 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

It probably won't work out well.

#28 Posted by Carryboy (630 posts) -

@Bloo561: Persona 4 is not one of the best selling ps2 titles nor is it close. There's a better chance of MLG dropping fighting games all together rather then them picking this up.

#29 Edited by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

@Seroth said:

@FLStyle said:

@Seroth: Why?

Why what? Why should they have Persona 4 Arena at MLG? 'cause I think it'd be cool to watch. If you're gonna go about how they shouldn't do it because it doesn't make business sense. Okay. Whatever. I still think they should do it because I'm not running MLG. I'm a spectator that wants to see cool stuff.

Or why should the FGC stop their stupid feud with e-sports? Because it's stupid.

Both. To which the second point you still don't have a valid reason for other than that you think it's stupid. I say that's ignorant.

@Bloo561 said:

@FLStyle said:

That's exactly why they shouldn't try it out because they'll waste time, money and resources on an unknown game that isn't a sequel on something with a proven track record (with an unpredictable sales performance, no-one can guess how many sales P4A will make) that has no evidence to suggest that it would surpass the entrance numbers of MK and ScV to begin with.

MLG is a business, the people in charge don't care about finding out the appeal of anything, they're in it to cash in on what's already popular. That's the cold hard reality.

I can see where you coming from about them of caring about the fan and more about cashing in on a popular median. But I got two questions for you

1. May I remind you that P4 is one of the top selling games on the ps2 AND the team at Atlus said this will be a SEQUEL to that game. So you saying that a game that is popular AROUND THE WORLD and mostly in Japan can't be a game seller?

2. How you think they pick those games in the first place? They check the conversions of the game and the appeal of the game of the fans and by the forums of this game this game will have a lot of support

1. It's not a fighting game sequel though is it? It's track record as a RPG is by no means an indication of how P4A will sell. And as pointed out, it's nowhere near a best selling PS2 game.

2. MK, ScV and KOF were chosen because they're the biggest names in the USA that didn't belong to Capcom.

#30 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@AngelN7 said:

Is a fighting game so why not

Because it would be bad for business.

It's not even that it'd be bad for business, it's that they don't know how to support it. Remember when MLG was doing DOA because, "hey, that's a fighting game right?!" They didn't have people who knew the game, so their commentating came off as pandering and condescending, their match ups were pretty awful and their events were always outdone by the other more popular (consumer wise) games. It doesn't make sense for them to start going back to that at this point, right when people are really beginning to take them seriously with the game lineups they have. It makes a lot more sense for it to tumble around the FGC scene for a while since even there, it may not have a great hold.

#31 Posted by JJOR64 (18905 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

Arc System Works lol.

Was thinking this as well. It's not going to be.

Online
#32 Posted by FLStyle (4567 posts) -

@Mesoian: Well that wraps this debate up, I didn't need more points as to why it would be a bad idea but you've just thought of some great ones.

#33 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Those guys hate Arc games wicked bad. They actually take glee in shitting on anyone who enjoys them. Man, fuck those guys, what a bunch of fucking assholes.

Linx plz. I need to see this stupid bullshit for myself.

#34 Posted by Seroth (711 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

@Seroth said:

@FLStyle said:

@Seroth: Why?

Why what? Why should they have Persona 4 Arena at MLG? 'cause I think it'd be cool to watch. If you're gonna go about how they shouldn't do it because it doesn't make business sense. Okay. Whatever. I still think they should do it because I'm not running MLG. I'm a spectator that wants to see cool stuff.

Or why should the FGC stop their stupid feud with e-sports? Because it's stupid.

Both. To which the second point you still don't have a valid reason for other than that you think it's stupid. I say that's ignorant.

Dude, do I really need a valid reason? I didn't realize we needed to have some "serious" discussion on this. Fine. Many FGC members just hate MLG because of how official and corporate it is. They hate all the sponsors, the fact that they have to pay for registration, and probably a whole other list of reasons, but I can almost guarantee that if MLG got Capcom games, tons of people would suddenly be on board.

I like MLG because it gave Mortal Kombat a chance when so many other tournaments and players would treat MK like trash (and I understand why tournaments do that: Capcom games are more popular). And it's not like MLG is impossible to work with. Arturo Sanchez worked really hard to get KOF back after MLG Columbus for Anaheim, and he was actually able to do so. Unfortunately, most of the KOF community did not come out to the event to support their game. Sure, scheduling problems could be attributed to that, but I heard a lot of excuses like "I don't wanna pay 50 dollars to lose to Bala", and I think that does a disservice to the game if you only care about winning in the MLG environment. Yeah, winning is a big deal with all that money on the line, but coming from a Mortal Kombat fan, I say do what you can to support your game and community.

Yes, there are legitimate reasons to dislike MLG, but most of the FGC, or at least the jerks who post on message boards, act like little whiney babies about it just because it's different than their community-run events. We live in a world where both type of events can and do exist: community run events for the more laid-back experience, and e-sports for the big money. I still think MLG is still figuring out how fighting games should be organized and streamed. There's stuff like the continuation rule and when to air commercials that they're slowly figuring out, and I feel like eventually they will have it all down.

They should also have Persona 4 Arena there to help them out, too.

#36 Edited by bretthancock (778 posts) -

I don't think MLG will pick it up but I do think it will be at Evo 2013 along with Tekken Tag 2. They didn't have an Arc game this year but have in the past. There's room for it on the roster:

Street Fighter 4 AE

Marvel

Mortal Kombat

Tekken Tag 2

KOF 13

Persona 4

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.