Sound Test

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

So messing around with the game's Sound Test, I discovered a bit of voice acting that could hint at certain things. Given that the English localization work would have had to have been done pretty much at the same time as P4A's actual Japanese development because of the game's North American release date being so close to the Japanese one, these lines of dialogue could indicate cancelled game features, things that were changed or something similar.

Shadow Labrys

• Type A #74: "Reverse Persona!"
  • Type B #74: "PERSONA!"

Nanako

• Type A #62: "I put up a barrier for you!"
  • Type B #132: "Did you get carsick? You don't look good." (Nothing crazy here, but it's funny and it's something I haven't heard her say yet.)

Elizabeth

• Type A #114: "This is quite different from scolding my foolish brother."
  • Type A #115: "This is nothing compared to my sister."
  • Type A #116: "This is for him."
  • Type B #8: "Here is my barrier." (Does she ever say this in battle?)

Yu Narukami

• Type A #78 and #79: "Izanagi-no-Okami" (Same for Type B)

Yosuke

• Type A #78 and #79: "Susano-o" (Same for Type B)

Naoto

• Type A #78 and #79 "Yamato-Takeru" (Same for Type B)

Akihiko

• Type A #76 and #77: "Polydeuces" (Same for Type B)

Mitsuru

• Type A #76 and #77: "Penthesilea" (Same for Type B)

Aigis

• Type A #76 and #77: "Palladion" (Same for Type B)

Kanji, Yukiko, Teddie and Chie also call out their evolved Personae in their respective sound tests at the same number 77 and 78 point, even though I didn't write them down. The Elizabeth ones might actually be said in-game, but I've never heard them. Anyone else find anything interesting in there?

#2 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

I've heard Elizabeth's Type As in Japanese as taunts.

#3 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

Very interesting. Wonder why they never used the Persona 4 character's ultimate Personas? Aigis shouting "Palladion" is super weird because that would be her Persona going backwards. Now that I think about it, should Aigis' Persona be Orpheus?

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Does Chie utter her famous phrase in this game, if not I'm sorely disappointed.

#5 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Are you thinking of "Aha! Is this our chance?" She does not.

#6 Posted by Bartman3010 (443 posts) -

I'd assume their other Persona types would be for DLC. Much like how BlazBlue has "Super" versions of their characters.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@Hizang said:

That is a horrible crime.

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Elizabeth

• Type A #116: "This is for him."

:(

#9 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Bocam said:

@Hizang said:

It is a different voice actor so even if she did say it, it wouldn't be the same.

#10 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Bocam: Your right, so so right.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

I guess Elizabeth's dialogue must mean that Theodore is in fact canon.

Though I still don't quite get the Type A/Type B business.

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

But if Theodore is canon, then the female MC is canon, and that means time paradox.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Hailinel said:

But if Theodore is canon, then the female MC is canon, and that means time paradox.

Not necessarily. Persona 2 had a whole alternate universe/timeline angle going on. And it's possible for Theodore to exist in the non-female P3 Protagonist-side of Persona; we just haven't seen him, just like we never saw Margaret in Persona 3.

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

So I guess "Reverse Persona" was a thing in Persona 2.

#15 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -
#16 Posted by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Nanako

• Type A #62: "I put up a barrier for you!"
  • Type B #132: "Did you get carsick? You don't look good." (Nothing crazy here, but it's funny and it's something I haven't heard her say yet.

Nanako says her Type B phrase when either you or the opponent's been Poisoned. I didn't hear the first one, however, but it sounds like a BlazBlue reference since BB characters have Barriers.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Bigheart711 said:

Nanako says her Type B phrase when either you or the opponent's been Poisoned. I didn't hear the first one, however, but it sounds like a BlazBlue reference since BB characters have Barriers.

Yeah, I was pretty sure she said her Type A in-game, but I'm not quite certain she ever says her Type B.

#18 Posted by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

They could have done this so the actors wouldn't need to come back and do DLC? Is my idea for the Ultimate Persona option true?

#19 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

They could have done this so the actors wouldn't need to come back and do DLC? Is my idea for the Ultimate Persona option true?

Heavily doubt it.

#20 Edited by SmasheControllers (2544 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Heavily doubt it.

Shhh... I'll keep thinking it is.

#21 Edited by TheFakePsychic (188 posts) -

For the record, I'm surprised you never heard Nanako's carsick line about getting poisoned, because she says it all the time when I'm playing and get poisoned.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@TheFakePsychic said:

For the record, I'm surprised you never heard Nanako's carsick line about getting poisoned, because she says it all the time when I'm playing and get poisoned.

It's because I've never had her as a navigator.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TheFakePsychic said:

That would explain why you've never heard her say it.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TheFakePsychic said:

...Isn't that what I just said?

#25 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@SmasheControllers said:

Heavily doubt it.

It shows that the idea was still at least being considered after they started doing the voices.
#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

It shows that the idea was still at least being considered after they started doing the voices.

That's true, but how far in the dev process does VA start coming in? My guess is it would be pretty far in... Hm, that's interesting.

#27 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3 said:

That's true, but how far in the dev process does VA start coming in? My guess is it would be pretty far in... Hm, that's interesting.

Yeah, that's always how I've imagined it. I know I heard Aram say that the English version started recording in January or something so I imagine the JP version can't have started recoding that much earlier, right?

I can totally see an ultimate Persona pack DLC, which gives characters access to slightly different movesets. I mean outside of Thanathos, most of the Personas don't even animate that much, right? They're mostly there to finish combos and have special uses. From what I've seen Caesar has, like, 2 animations or something like that.
#28 Posted by Irvandus (2824 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Bocam said:

@Hizang said:

You also won't here it in the remake (Persona 4 The Golden), well not in the same awful yet endearing way because all of her dialogue is being redone for that as well.

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@mutha3: According to the sprite rips, Personae have around 160 sprites while characters have around 600. I'm really not sure that an "Ultimate Personae" pack would be a feasible thing to do, especially given that it's a competitive fighting game and it could mess with a bunch of stuff in terms of balance.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TheFakePsychic said:

...Isn't that what I just said?

It was a joking comment about how you hadn't made that clear to begin with.

#31 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3: According to the sprite rips, Personae have around 160 sprites while characters have around 600. I'm really not sure that an "Ultimate Personae" pack would be a feasible thing to do, especially given that it's a competitive fighting game and it could mess with a bunch of stuff in terms of balance.

It could be purely cosmetic. They wouldn't have to change the moves.

#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

It was a joking comment about how you hadn't made that clear to begin with.

Hmph, fine! Gotta remember to be all precise and stuff on the internet.

@JeanLuc said:

It could be purely cosmetic. They wouldn't have to change the moves.

Alright, but they'd still need to redo all of those sprites for each character's Persona. Plus, all of the alt colors would need to be compatible with them. If it were to happen, I imagine something like $10 per evolved Persona.

#33 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

Alright, but they'd still need to redo all of those sprites for each character's Persona. Plus, all of the alt colors would need to be compatible with them. If it were to happen, I imagine something like $10 per evolved Persona.

Dude, new character DLC  cost us 7$ in Blazblue games and those have way more animations than these Personae. Persona packs of 2-3 for 7 bucks seems reasonable to me...I think.
#34 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

I don't think you should be reading too much into this, guys. Voice clips go unused all the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.