Who do you want to compose the music for P4U?

#1 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

Atlus and Arc System Works both have have talented composers. Shoji Meguro has been composing music for Atlus games since the original Persona, while Daisuke Ishiwatari's talents have played a heavy role in the mood and feel of the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue series. Both of them have also demonstrated a lot of range over their various projects.

So that being said, which would you rather serve as the composer for TUIMA? Meguro, of course, is a part of the Persona team and composed the music for Persona 4, while Ishiwatari has more experience in composing for fighting games, and if asked to create covers, could probably do justice to Meguro's original works.

For comparison, some of Meguro's works:

Persona 3 - The Battle for Everyone's Souls:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - Reason Battle:

And here are some tracks that Ishiwatari has composed:

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift - Sword of Doom

Guilty Gear X - Awe of She

Personally, I'd be fine either way, but I'd be interested to hear what sort of Persona-themed tracks Ishiwatari could produce. How about you guys?

#2 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -

Didn't they already explicitly say it was gonna be Shouji Meguro? I thought I saw that somewhere. 

Well, either way, I'd pick him. Most of my top-played songs on iTunes are from the Persona 3 soundtrack; his stuff is great. 

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

Both together. I don't know how composition works, but they should work together to provide the greatest music that has ever graced a fighting game. 

@supermike6 said: 
Didn't they already explicitly say it was gonna be Shouji Meguro? I thought I saw that somewhere.
I've not seen that anywhere.
#4 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

@supermike6 said:

Didn't they already explicitly say it was gonna be Shouji Meguro? I thought I saw that somewhere. Well, either way, I'd pick him. Most of my top-played songs on iTunes are from the Persona 3 soundtrack; his stuff is great.

They might very well have, but if that's the case, I hadn't seen or heard it anywhere.

#5 Posted by supermike6 (3530 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ@Hailinel: Oh, I just re-read the article, and it turns out I got mixed up because they talk about Persona 5 in the same article, and he's doing the music for that. Carry on, carry on.
#6 Edited by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

I like Meguro, but I think I'd rather see what Ishiwatari would do with the soundtrack.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

Yeah, if it realistically has to be only one person, I think I'd really enjoy Ishiwatari's interpretations of recognizable Persona 3/4 songs as well as some appropriately evocative original music.

#8 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Both. While it is a fighting game that needs a certain kind of music I still want the Persona to be in there too.

#9 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I'll die if they actually co-op the soundtrack, my two favorite VGM composers. Electric remix of Endless Despair and I'm set for life.

#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

John Williams.

#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Meguro. I mean, don't get me wrong, I dig Ishiwatari and think he could do great, but Meguro would be my choice.

#12 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

that blazblue track almost sounds like in flames, the guitar sound anyway

Meguro is my fav. composer so I obviously want him to do it, but co-composing would be fine I guess.

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

Ideally they would both contribute. Only one of them is a hard choice but my answer is Meguro. I love the way his battle music sounds and am curious what he could do for a fighting game. Perhaps he could do some sweet remixes as well.

#14 Posted by Creamypies (4044 posts) -

Daft Punk.

#15 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

Shouji Meguro. But I want to hear what those two do together. Or ... Capcom Sound Team, how about that?

#16 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Shouji Meguro. But I want to hear what those two do together. Or ... Capcom Sound Team, how about that?

for that we have to wait for Persona x Street Fighter.

#17 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Shoji Meguro or die

#18 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Creamypies said:

Daft Punk.

Oh man

oh man

sorry meguro
#19 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Have never heard Ishiwatari's music before, but I have to say, it sounds pretty good.

From what I've heard before, I really like Meguro's music, and is there really that big of a difference between fighting game music and fight music in RPG's? I mean, Meguro could probably produce some great fighting game music.

Still, Ishiwatari was a pleasant surprise and I would love it if both of them worked on the soundtrack, as it seems like that could result in some great tracks.

#20 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

I want to see what happens if they work together, but if I had to choose one, I guess Ishawatari, just to see what his take on the Persona music would be.

#21 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

@MaFoLu said:

Have never heard Ishiwatari's music before, but I have to say, it sounds pretty good.

From what I've heard before, I really like Meguro's music, and is there really that big of a difference between fighting game music and fight music in RPG's? I mean, Meguro could probably produce some great fighting game music.

Still, Ishiwatari was a pleasant surprise and I would love it if both of them worked on the soundtrack, as it seems like that could result in some great tracks.

In an RPG, you commonly hear three or four battle tunes over the course of the entire game, with the main battle theme, a boss theme or two, and then the final boss. In a fighting game, battle music is generally either set to a location (as is the case in a game like SSFIV) or character-based (Guilty Gear/BlazBlue), wherein each character has their own individual music. Ishiwatari's work generally takes it a step further by also including special music tracks for specific rival match-ups, like Sol vs. Ky in Guilty Gear or Ragna vs. Jin in BlazBlue.

#22 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

for that we have to wait for Persona x Street Fighter.

Yeah! Ok, let's do this! If this would happen, then we would have much more characters, a better fighting game (I like BlazeBlue, no offense) and more awesome music.
#23 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Justice

#24 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

@Hailinel: Yea, I meant more like the fact that both are "fighting music", so the general theme of people fighting is there in both.

I agree that they aren't exactly the same, though, I just meant that Meguro could probably make some good fighting music for the game if he is the one doing it.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@MaFoLu said:

In an RPG, you commonly hear three or four battle tunes over the course of the entire game, with the main battle theme, a boss theme or two, and then the final boss.

I wish games would do what Resonance of Fate did; had tracks for every single area, plus for unique bosses. that OST was quite large, but most of it was good and different

#26 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -
@Creamypies said:

Daft Punk.

Well played.
#27 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

Meguro is one of my favorite JRPG composers, so I think they should stay true to Persona and use his work.

#28 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

I just want the music to be "Reach Out to the Truth" on loop.

#29 Edited by JackSukeru (5897 posts) -

I really like Meguro's work, but I'm not sure if it will be a fit to a high speed fighting game.

I guess I could see Daisuke Ishiwatari do some high tempo remixes of the Persona battle themes, with maybe some originals thrown in that reminds you of Meguro's style.

Also this is my favorite Ishiwatari track:

Edit: Actually, now that I've thought about it, just let Simon Viklund have a go at it. Edit2:Oops "the".

#30 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

I really like the Meguro's work, but I'm not sure if it will be a fit to a high speed fighting game.

This is really my one concern with Meguro's general musical style in regards to fighting games; particularly an ASW fighting game. His music generally doesn't have the sort of fast-paced tempo that Ishiwatari's tracks have. That's not to say that he can't compose quality music of a suitable tempo, but I think Ishiwatari would be better suited as composer for P4U.

#31 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3001 posts) -

I want Ishiwatari to put his own spin on the music.  And come on, you know you want a special background music track for Protagonist vs. Yosuke fights.

#32 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

If Ishiwatari could put in some kind of Mass Destruction fighting game remix, I would buy this game three times.

I'm not even joking

#33 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@Creamypies said:

Daft Punk.

I had that same thought too before entering the thread! (Really just as an excuse to get more tracks from them)
#34 Posted by BeserkGamer (59 posts) -

Don't really care as long as I hear good remixes of tracks from P4. scratch that I do care, I  feel  Shoji Meguro has to do the music. Reach for the truth remix!

#35 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

Shoji Meguro I think, one of my favourite game composers.

#36 Posted by Turambar (6637 posts) -

@Devoid said:

If Ishiwatari could put in some kind of Mass Destruction fighting game remix, I would buy this game three times.

I'm not even joking

Baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby

#37 Posted by Giantstalker (1511 posts) -

Daisuke Ishiwatari, Guilty Gear and BlazBlue have the best soundtracks in the genre as far as I'm concerned

#38 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

I think it has to be Meguro, I think he does excellent work

#39 Posted by Chet_Rippo (231 posts) -

Meguro, duh! It's still a persona game :D

#40 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

Not sure if it's relevant or whatever, but the song on the official website definitely gives off Meguro vibes and is not reminiscent of Ishiwatari's work.

#41 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2050 posts) -

Meguro. Not really much of a choice to me.

#42 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Thats a really good question ,sure the music of Blazblue/Gulty Gear is quite good and fit their respective franchises , something I don´t quite like is that the tracks at least in Blazblue do not do a great job in loops in Blazblue specially where battles tend to last longer than your average fighting game fight , and also dude is Shoji Meguro I don´t I need to say if his work fits with a fighting game it just does ...

I think he can make kickass fast tracks that fit what a fighting game soundtrack should be like , but I would like to hear covers of  the soundtrack of P4 and P3 made by the guy who does the Arc System soundtracks could be a pretty cool mash-up , but if there´s only one to choose Meguro hands down. 

#43 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10339 posts) -

I think they should just license "Life is Beautiful" from SWERY and use that.  

It has been FAR TOO LONG since I have had a reason to post that AMAZING SONG!  

And for the retro dungeon: 

#44 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

@AngelN7: Though the BlazBlue tracks aren't designed to loop, they are full-length songs. So Sword of Doom may last five minutes, but it's a full piece with lyrics that fit the tone of the final battle with Mu-12 (if you want a translation, check the full-length description on the Youtube page for the version I posted in the OP). Meguro's songs do a fine job of looping, but that by itself doesn't really make or break a fighting game track.

#45 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1914 posts) -

I'm a bigger fan of Meguro, but Ishiwatari would make better fighting game music. However, by now his style is stagnating a little. Meguro is still enjoying relatively diverse styles in his comps, but Ishiwatari's track are generally a Queen or an Iron Maiden song. The music he makes is incredible and I love it, but he's got to spread out more for me to really pin it on him. 

#46 Posted by Dragon4234 (128 posts) -

Both so I can die a happy man.

#47 Posted by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

Shoji meguro is my favourite video game composer, so I hope its him

#48 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

Here is the track from the game's official website. Assuming this is from the game itself I'm pumped for the music!! 

#49 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Oh man, I hadn't thought about this. An Ishiwatari/Meguro team-up would be amazing, especially if its Guilty Gear Ishiwatari. BlazBlue music is cool but GG's soundtrack is just so much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.