Will Jeff like P4 arena?

• 58 results
#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

A comment from the recent Skullgirls quicklook made me realize something about Jeff dislike on some fighters

@AxleFGK said:

i think Jeff isn't enjoying the game because its very combo heavy. the combos are actually quite easy if you have the will to do it. Jeff doesn't seem like a 15 hit combo guy, but i was able to get a 20+ hit air combo into super down in pretty much the shortest time I've ever managed to.

From the video of P4 arena, it is clearly a fighter base on heavy combining. So how much will Jeff like the game? Will his dislike of these type of fighters get in the way of his enjoyment of Persona 4 and it cast?

#2 Posted by Sanj (2387 posts) -

I have a feeling he won't be too into the fighting. But he'll probably get a kick out of the story.

#3 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11734 posts) -

Jeff doesn't like Blazblue. Blazblue was developed by Arc System Works. Persona 4 Arena is being developed by Arc System Works.

I think that's basically the long and short. Oh, they'll still play it, maybe even for TNT, but they aren't going to like it.

#4 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -

No. He doesnt like arc Sys fighters at all. He probobly doesn't like anime fighters at all actually

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

My enjoyment of this game depends on his enjoyment of the game.

Seriously though, why not? Its P4 and a fighter?

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

@Sanj said:

I have a feeling he won't be too into the fighting. But he'll probably get a kick out of the story.

This most likely. It seems like he isn't of fan of the crazy fighting games like all Arc System Works games and the Marvel games (except MvC3, he liked that one.)

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24778 posts) -

Jeff doesn't seem too fond of fighting games that aren't either Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

#8 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@JJOR64: And even MvC3 wasn't really his style.

#9 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

No, because of reasons already mentioned and I don't think they gonna play it for TNT either.

#10 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -
@Dany That's not gonna be enough to make him change his mind and like the arc Sys style of fighting
#11 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Jeff doesn't like any video games.

#12 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Definitely not.

It'll probably get 3 stars when he reviews it and internet rage will ensue.

#13 Edited by BisonHero (6521 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Jeff doesn't seem too fond of fighting games that aren't either Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

He seems to also have a fondness for the various SNK games that haven't been made for years and some of the older King of Fighters. But yeah, that's about it.

Come of think of it, how did we not get a SFxT TNT? Jeff seemed to like the gameplay a lot, but just hated basically everything else around it. Have they patched the online yet to make it less terrible?

#14 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

He dosent like anything that has air dashes.

#15 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ Lol I was thinking a 2. Whatever tho won't stop me from enjoying it
#16 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

@punisherkaos: Same here, I will enjoy the game as well and Jeff's option wont get in the way. Same thing I did when Jeff didn't like Catherine but I did and that all I cared.

I just feel Jeff just isn't patient enough to look deeply into a game to understand how it works and why it plays that way. Basically, not giving a game a chance right from the beginning.

#17 Posted by drac96 (670 posts) -

Jeff and the entire GB crew seemed to dislike Blazblue to a pretty extreme degree. Seeing as to how this is made by AKSYS and is said to be like a combination of KOF and Blazblue I'm going to guess he's not going to like it at all.

#18 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

my gut answer is no because the guys from guilty gear and BlazBlue is working on the game and it seems Jeff has not been a fan of these fighting games.

#19 Edited by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Definitely 勿ot.

It'll probably get 3 stars when 彼e reviews it and internet rage will ensue.

I'm sure that this is exactly what'll happen.

#20 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

He's not going to like it because Chie has the wrong voice.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

Smart money says no, but who knows? Maybe he'll dig deeper in because it's Persona 4 and realize that it's pretty cool. or something.

#22 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

Not wrong voice but slightly different sounding.

#23 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

If this game somehow changes Jeff's opinions on airdash fighters, I'll be honestly shocked. If he ends up reviewing it, the score will be however good the story is minus a point for not being SF/MK.

#24 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11003 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

This is why no true fans of Persona 4 are going to like it.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordAndrew said:

She's not MY Chie!

#26 Posted by 71Ranchero (2765 posts) -

Im sure he will tell us how he feels about it when they get it in. Some people just dont care for much of this new wave of fighting games.

#27 Posted by BisonHero (6521 posts) -

@Devoid said:

If this game somehow changes Jeff's opinions on airdash fighters, I'll be honestly shocked. If he ends up reviewing it, the score will be however good the story is minus a point for not being SF/MK.

That's not entirely fair. He mainly likes SF and MK, but he seems to think fairly highly of older SNK stuff, and some of the older King of Fighters. At least enough that he genuinely enjoys playing as Terry Bogard, which is more than can be said for any other recent fighting game series.

#28 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

jeff does not like anime fighters so no, but the persona might get him to like some of it. He is more a capcom guy with a bit of mk thrown in

#29 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Devoid said:

That's not entirely fair. He mainly likes SF and MK, but he seems to think fairly highly of older SNK stuff, and some of the older King of Fighters. At least enough that he genuinely enjoys playing as Terry Bogard, which is more than can be said for any other recent fighting game series.

Fair enough, add 'Old SNK' to the end of my other statement. What did Jeff think of KOF XIII? If he talked about it at some stage I must have missed it.

#30 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Not really saying anything new here, but it isn't the style of fighting game he seems to enjoy. I don't expect him to like it too much, but that's fine because I'll enjoy it plenty.

#31 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: Probably not. P4A harkens back to the days of Guilty Gear with a little BlazBlue mixed in for flavor. That means heavy excution, lots of long combos, lots of ground to air transitions and a massive list of moves which can lead to some truly unpredictable possibilities. One of Jeff's major concerns about fighters with larger rosters is that you need to know what everyone else can do on top of the character you're using so you can know what strategies to use. That will be EXCEEDINGLY tough with this game as, as the videos from japan have shown, each character has a LOT of stuff they can do.

If he was having trouble with skullgirl's systems, P4A is going to be a REAL challenge.

@LordAndrew: Also that. Yes.

#32 Posted by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

He will dismiss the game because they will get the main character's name wrong.

It's Charlie Tunoku.

#33 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

Who cares! Maybe the visuals and the story will be enough to pull him over, but its no skin of my back if he doesn't like it. He's a crazy person anyway, dude hates Blazblue for reasons besides it visuals.CRAZY I TELL YOU

Well...I guess...I would like to see a TNT on P4A, but besides that, he's entitled to his opinion y'all!

@Mesoian said:

@metalsnakezero: One of Jeff's major concerns about fighters with larger rosters is that you need to know what everyone else can do on top of the character you're using so you can know what strategies to use. That will be EXCEEDINGLY tough with this game as, as the videos from japan have shown, each character has a LOT of stuff they can do.

There's not that many characters in P4U so far and at least its got extremely simple controls going for it.
#34 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@LordAndrew said:

Wrong. True P4 fans prefer the Japanese VAs. :P

But let's not get into that debate here.

I get the impression Jeff doesn't seem to really like anything. So I'm guessing that he will find it interesting but he will say that it isn't his kind of game.

#35 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I don't know guys. Chie's galactic punt may sway him to loving it! Honestly, I think he's over Persona 4 and over the series entirely. It's been 3 years since they last played Persona 4 and he seemed annoyed by people bugging him with Persona 4 stuff. I think the honeymoon is over. May just be me.

#36 Posted by MEATBALL (3238 posts) -

It's a fighting game that wasn't birthed in the 90s, he won't be too into it.

#37 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

To paraphrase Jeff on the bombcast when the game was first announced, he will "put up with the fighting system that he hates for the sake of the P4 characters that he loves."

#38 Posted by me3639 (1756 posts) -

The real question, anyone outside the persona click like this game? Answer is probably no.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Come again?

#40 Posted by SoyBob (161 posts) -

Clique, not "click"

#41 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

He never really "liked" persona, he liked the cast, and the story, but not the gameplay.

#42 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

My bet is: probably not.

#43 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@me3639 said:

The real question, anyone outside the persona click like this game? Answer is probably no.

plenty of people in Japan do so...

#44 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

Prove to me that Jeff genuinely likes video game mechanics first and then I will consider your question.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@GooieGreen said:

Prove to me that Jeff genuinely likes video game mechanics first and then I will consider your question.

trackmania

#46 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

Slightly better question: Why does it matter?

#47 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Will Jeff like me when I mail myself to him inside a Chie anime pillowcase...... [gently kisses a screengrab of the 8.8 review]

#48 Posted by TechHits (1378 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: you could always ask him. Send a msg to emails@Giantbomb.com

#49 Posted by Lazyaza (2181 posts) -

If the past is any indicator Jeff hates every fighting game ever that doesn't have the Street Fighter or MK style of fighting and art direction exactly.

#50 Posted by Orange_Pork (596 posts) -

@LordAndrew:

Aren't they using the same voice for Chie? They're using the original English cast for the dub of that Persona 4 anime as well as the additional content for Persona 4: The Golden. It'd make sense to just keep using them for this game as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.