Buying a vita just for this?

#1 Edited by Spectrea (35 posts) -

From what i have seen most of the vita games dont interest me, but i absolutely loved persona 4. Does it add enough to make the purchase of £180 + persona 4 a worthy one?

Like if it was coming out on ps3 in the future then of course it would not make sense, but then i dont think it will - afterall it needs unique games to sell the platform.

#2 Posted by Mistzero (306 posts) -

There are some other games besides persona 4 that are awesome.

Such as super stardust delta, little big planet, sound shapes, tales from space mutant blob, zero escape, wipeout, sine mora.

In the end you have to convince yourself why you need one.

#3 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

It was for me, but there are a bunch of psp games I never got to play as well.

#4 Posted by punisherkaos (276 posts) -

If u have the Money then yes. It was the only reason I got my vita

#5 Posted by RioStarwind (544 posts) -

If you really think you'll never play anything but P4: golden I don't think it's worth it. Sure you'll most likely get quite a few hours out of that one game but I don't think that makes it worth the price of admission.

#6 Edited by Kidavenger (3546 posts) -

I've been surprised at how much I've played my Vita, it's good for 30 minute stints before I fall asleep which used to be book/tablet time. I haven't had a handheld since my Atari Lynx, so it may just be a novelty, but I've really happy with it so far.

#7 Posted by OmegaChosen (645 posts) -

I did it. I have no regrets.

Besides, I plan to eventually get some PSP games and I needed a portable music player anyway.

#8 Posted by mr187uk (131 posts) -

Get a Vita, this game alone is worth the cost! I would also recommend getting PS+ (if you haven't already) for the free and discounted games.

#9 Edited by Spectrea (35 posts) -

Ill have a wait until new year, see how early the price drop is. I can spend the money now however i would feel bettter getting it for less after ive played persona 4 and it may be collecting dust.

Anyone from the uk or even EU let us know where they bought one and how much? Too many price fluctuations that i have seen.

Edit: Dayum i may just buy in the US and import, so much cheaper, we still get shafted on electronics :P

Have a question for those that are in the know about this, is the vita region locked? i can buy a vita on amazon us for almost half my price...damn you guys are lucky.

#10 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (622 posts) -

i bought the Vita on launch day with P4G as the main reason. I've played a few other games (FIFA, UMvC, Dynasty Warriors Next) and some older games (P3P and Harvest Moon BtN) but having played P4G it has made it worth it regardless if I had played those other games or not.

#11 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

I'm rather happy with my Vita cause I never owned a PS1 or PSP. So there is a huge backlog of games I can play. Funnily enough, P4 will be the first "proper" Vita game I'll buy (well, this and the MGS Collection).

#12 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -
@Kidavenger said:

I've been surprised at how much I've played my Vita, it's good for 30 minute stints before I fall asleep which used to be book/tablet time.

I use it use it for that too, it replaced the podcasts I would listen to.
#13 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

considering you played persona 4 already, i'm gonna say no.

#14 Posted by PistolPackinPoet (210 posts) -

Yes. Surprisingly, the Vita is a great piece of hardware. Though, it lacks games. But Persona 4 Golden is a good "timewaster" before newer games get announced for the Vita.

#15 Posted by Killercombo (225 posts) -

I bought a brand new 500 gig PS3 and a Vita for £250: I have a stack of games including VLR (thanks to Patrick) and I am waiting for my copy of Persona 4 to show up!

#16 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -

If you don't like any of the other games on the platform (Sound Shapes, Zero's Escape, LBP Vita), and just want it for P4G, then I suggest you pass.

#17 Edited by MEATBALL (3238 posts) -

People always talk about a system needing a singular, killer app, and while I understand there's more hesitance in this instance because it's a PS2 game, THIS IS YOUR KILLER APP. This is the game you buy a Vita for, the game that makes buying a Vita worthwhile. Persona 4 was already something of a classic, and Golden makes it even goddamn better. Take the plunge, P4G is totally worth it and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the system and the variety of software available for it outside of that one game.

#18 Posted by FTomato (234 posts) -

@Spectrea said:

Ill have a wait until new year, see how early the price drop is. I can spend the money now however i would feel bettter getting it for less after ive played persona 4 and it may be collecting dust.

Anyone from the uk or even EU let us know where they bought one and how much? Too many price fluctuations that i have seen.

Edit: Dayum i may just buy in the US and import, so much cheaper, we still get shafted on electronics :P

Have a question for those that are in the know about this, is the vita region locked? i can buy a vita on amazon us for almost half my price...damn you guys are lucky.

Every Vita from every region is the same. You can import it without a problem. Regarding region locking:

The Vita isn't actually region locked per se. However, you can only use 1 PSN account at a time on a Vita. This means that you're limited to digital titles from the store you chose - you can't get games from both the European and US stores. In addition, if you get a physical copy of a game from a different region, you may not be able to download DLC for it (I believe compatibility varies between games). It's technically possible to use 2 PSN accounts, but it requires multiple SD cards and resetting the Vita settings between each swap.

tl;dr Every Vita is the same, digital titles limited to a single country based on PSN account, physical copies work on every Vita.

#19 Posted by BlackLagoon (1429 posts) -

@Spectrea said:

You will probably need to by new power adapter/cable unless you're happy charging over USB, but the Vita itself should be exactly the same. But there's also a significant chance the package will get hit with VAT and a customs processing fee, so you'll want to factor that into the cost.

#20 Posted by Jedted (2359 posts) -
@kerse said:

It was for me, but there are a bunch of psp games I never got to play as well.

Same here.  I mainly got it for P4 but there were a lot of PSP games(like Patapon) i wanted to try. 
#21 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

I like owning all consoles/handhelds but P4G was sort of my excuse to jump in and take the leap of faith. I'm hoping to, at the very least, get some JRPG goodness out of this thing.

#22 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

I would say wait until the inevitable 2013 price drop.

#23 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I did but hadn't played P4 vanilla myself. If you had I'd recommend you play it, but perhaps wait for a price drop. That being said I got into it expecting only a P4G machine but there are plenty of games out there worth checking out, even if they don't get coverage by the site. If you didn't have a PS1/PSP there are a ton of games worth checking out as well.

#24 Posted by Korolev (1706 posts) -

If you can spare the money, get one. It's a nice bit of hardware. Granted, there's not that many great games for it, but if you've got the money, P4G is worth it.

#25 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

I did the math on it, and after taxes, buying on black friday and finding good deals, My Vita+Persona4 came out to $235.56. I've played something like 34 hours so far and have enjoyed every single moment (actually, probably longer than that, there was a lot of reloading when I did something dumb). I still have my notepad up, and the math worked out to $7.14 per hour at the time I did it, cheaper than most movie-going experiences. Even if JUST for Persona 4: Golden and I stopped playing today, my Vita has been quite literally worth the price of admission.

I have no idea how much longer the game is (it looks like I'm about to meet my 5th new party member), but that value proposition is only going to get better and better from here. That's not even counting the dozens of PS1 games I had purchased for my PS3 that now work on this system that I never would have touched on the PSP due to the control limitations, or the super cheap PSP games I'm picking up left and right (Just picked up Hexyz Force today on PSN for $4.99), or the "free" games I get with PS Plus. (I've put in about 3 hours on Gravity Rush.)

It's also a sweet piece of kit. The only downside is the propriety flash memory that's both overpriced and incredibly limited at a 32gb max. If sony was going to insist on putting out their own flash format, they should have at least made it on par with SD cards, which already have 64gb cards of the micro variety. Or make it a non-micro card so they're cheaper to manufacture and can fit larger sizes! Honestly, anything would be better. I hear Sony severely underestimated how popular the 32gb cards would be because they wrongly assumed people would prefer the little cartridges over digital distribution. Now they're scrambling. That's the one thing I'd fix. Really, if they did nothing but put out revamped PS2 classics on this thing, I'd be completely sold. I'd like to go back and play some of them now, but they're just so hideous on the big HD screen, so playing them on the go is ideal.

#26 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Im personally waiting for FFX HD before I make the jump.

#27 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

As some who did buy a vita just for this game I will say there are a ton of great games on the vita.

#28 Posted by Hrothdane (12 posts) -

Persona 4 is my absolute favorite game, so I think I could justify buying a Vita just for P4G. Luckily, the Vita holds plenty of other games I'm interested in, so I don't even have to go that far :D

#29 Posted by MysteriousFawx (383 posts) -

Today I purchased the Wifi Vita, the Travel Pack (wanted the car charger and a soft case), a 32 gig card (go big or go home) and imported P4G with the limited edition skin/wallpaper.

When people ask how I justify buying all of this for 1 game I will remind them that Soul Sacrifice is also going to be Vita only...then they look confused as they have never heard of this game either....and tend to walk away shaking their head.

#30 Posted by Evan223 (90 posts) -

I picked up a 3G model from Argos which comes with a free 4gb memory card for £229.99, just so I could play Persona 4. I'm using it to play Persona 3 portable to get my Persona fix as I wait for it to be released. HMV is doing a deal, the black ops vita bundle plus FIFA and an 8gb memory card for £229

#31 Edited by Mike_Tha_Hero (6 posts) -

All it took was P4G for me to go ahead and buy a Vita, otherwise I would have waited. I wasn't as naive as others though, as I knew outside of Persona there were other great games to play on Vita, not to mention the PSP collection at your disposal.

#32 Posted by Mike_Tha_Hero (6 posts) -

@Korolev said:

If you can spare the money, get one. It's a nice bit of hardware. Granted, there's not that many great games for it, but if you've got the money, P4G is worth it.

I'd like to know how many games it is people are playing at once. When I hear people say the Vita doesn't have "that many" games I get confused because there are quite a bit above average titles readily available for the platform.

It's like people just like the idea of having an abundance of titles available for a console, whether they play them or not. It's strange.

#33 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

I still don't get why people complain about the Vita's library. Sure it may not have any absolutely amazing games but it has a bunch of pretty good to great games. It's been out for less than a year and even the actual consoles don't get more than a couple amazing games a year.

#34 Posted by The_Drizzle (624 posts) -

I really want to pick up a vita, but i can't in good conscious knowing there will be a price drop. Do we know when this might happen, or is it wishful thinking?

#35 Posted by BlackLagoon (1429 posts) -

@The_Drizzle said:

I really want to pick up a vita, but i can't in good conscious knowing there will be a price drop. Do we know when this might happen, or is it wishful thinking?

Sony are bringing back Invizimals (PSP kids franchise that did well in Europe) as a cartoon in the fall. I expect a Vita game will accompany it, and a price cut to make the system more affordable for kids. That said, there's been plenty of good bundles around, which include a memory card and a game. A price cut probably won't give you that much greater value.

#36 Posted by Dark (379 posts) -

One of the main reasons for getting a vita on launch was for this game, I finally finished Persona 4 with it and managed to never get anything spoiled so the ending was quite a surprise.

If you had already finished the game and are in no way really wanting to replay the game again then no, the stuff added isn't huge (I got around half way through the game on ps2) and doesn't really seem to start until right at the end. There are a few things here or there but most of it is endgame stuff. It not worth getting a console for if you have already finished the game.

#37 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

question: why doesn't the vita support ps2 games?

#38 Posted by MysteriousFawx (383 posts) -

@killacam: Its got support for PS+ so you can download some titles onto your Vita...or get them on your PS3 and then play them through your Vita in another room. (Think Tokyo Jungle on the toilet and realise how worried roommates would be about your digestive system)

#39 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@MysteriousFawx said:

@killacam: Its got support for PS+ so you can download some titles onto your Vita...or get them on your PS3 and then play them through your Vita in another room. (Think Tokyo Jungle on the toilet and realise how worried roommates would be about your digestive system)

yeah.. but what i mean is.. it plays ps1 classics. why not ps2 as well?

#40 Posted by MysteriousFawx (383 posts) -

@killacam: I'm sure theres a lot of classic games I'm missing but the majority of things I'd want to have on a handheld have been remade with HD editions by now, SotC and MGS3 being the main ones. Theres a few I'd love to see, especially something like the Fatal Frame series. Any specifics you had in mind?

#41 Posted by BlackLagoon (1429 posts) -

@killacam said:

why not ps2 as well?

The PS2 was a much more powerful and complex machine, emulating it is much harder and may simply not be possible on the Vita. The PS3 seems to barely manage it as is, and only a select number of titles are supported.

#42 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

Fuck, this thread makes me want to go out and get a vita and P4G.

#43 Edited by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -

I just bought a Vita to make it my dedicated Persona machine basically. Gonna get P4G once it comes out and when I get hands on my Vita I'll immediately buy P3P and P2 and that's about it games vise.

I'll also drop 50€ for a year of PSN+ and I'll get a bunch of games for free with that. After those three Persona games my top games to get are Gravity Rush and Mortal Kombat for the Vita and guess what, both of those games are free for PSN+ members in Europe right now, I hope they still are once I get my Vita in the following week or so.

@BlackLagoon said:

@killacam said:

why not ps2 as well?

The PS2 was a much more powerful and complex machine, emulating it is much harder and may simply not be possible on the Vita. The PS3 seems to barely manage it as is, and only a select number of titles are supported.

Once PS4 (or w/e the next big Sony console is) comes out and it'll have the whole Gaikai game streaming system available (that's why they bought Gaikai right?) I wouldn't be too surprised to see Sony put some sort of PS2 classics stream thing for PSN+ members on the Vita or something. At least that'd be hella cool. Don't know if that's even would be technically possible but still...

#44 Posted by Dredlockz (346 posts) -

just bought a vita for this game, it came out in europe today :|

#45 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2294 posts) -

The only reason I want a Vita is for this game. Which is really bad because I already own and played the original ps2 version.

#46 Edited by shivermetimbers (772 posts) -

Hotline Miami is also coming out for Vita, so there's that...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.