Free Exploration?

#1 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -
#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Oh fuck. Well, there wasn't much point to running around in the Midnight Channel hub area so maybe they streamlined only that specific part (among a few others). Or maybe it's just concept art. Whatever it is, I heavily doubt they'll pursue the P3P route with P4 Golden. At least, I hope they don't.

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I've never been more intrigued of a screencap of guys sitting on scooters. Anyway, it's hard to say but I've a feeling the Vita should be able to render all the scenes in real time since it's more powerful then the PSP. Hell, if Naughty Dog can put Uncharted on the Vita then why not P4P?

#4 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

That's just fan art. I've seen it around the web for awhile now in wallpaper form.

#5 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -
@benjaebe:  

That's a relief. I was thinking that might be the case after realizing that it wouldn't make much sense for the MC to be standing in the middle. Weird that they'd make that the biggest "screenshot".
#6 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ@Starclopsofish
: fanart
#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -
@benjaebe@mutha3: Good. There'd be really no excuse for still sprites like P3P for P4 The Golden. Glad it's not happening.
#8 Posted by kerse (2114 posts) -

God dammit, now I have to save up some money for a Vita.

#9 Edited by MEATBALL (3241 posts) -

I'll be honest with you, I didn't mind Persona 3 Portable's navigation at all, it cut out any hint of tedium and it didn't really bother me in a portable format. Navigating that way via touch-screen would probably be even better.

#10 Posted by DeeGee (2125 posts) -

Giant picture of Aegis from Persona 3.

wat.

#11 Posted by MEATBALL (3241 posts) -

@DeeGee said:

Giant picture of Aegis from Persona 3.

wat.

I'm guessing for the fighting game.

#12 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

If you look at the other screenshots, it shows some 3d character models seemingly animating unlike in Persona 3 Portable. P3P didn't even show the character modes outside of Tartarus, so it's looking like the exploration will remain.

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Dude Yosuke finally bought his bike?! what´s this, and aparently you can ride on your  scooter in some sort of new area good thing they delayed that Vita

#14 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

@Siliconera said:

The team wasn’t a fan of the simplified map they had to make for Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable and wanted to keep Persona 4 as close to the PlayStation 2 version as possible. This wouldn’t be possible on the PSP, Hashino said. Development moved to PlayStation Vita where the team believed they could make a game with even more features than the original.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/persona-4-the-golden-was-originally-planned-for-psp/

Hooray

#15 Edited by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Here's some new screenshots from Andriasang (love those guys). While we already know that the presentation will be the same as the original P4 it's still nice to see how it looks.  

AND IT LOOKS GREAT.

Edit: Images are watermarked by the way so please don't add them to our database.

#16 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

Here's some new screenshots from Andriasang (love those guys). While we already know that the presentation will be the same as the original P4 it's still nice to see how it looks. AND IT LOOKS GREAT.

Wow. Playing that on a sleek , sexy Vita with that OLED screen

I jizzed in my pants.

#17 Posted by Starclopsofish (88 posts) -

I'd REALLY like to see some AA on it, so I hope that'll be in place before the release, but if not, I figure the pixel density is high enough on the Vita for it to be tolerable.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm confused:

1. Why is this a bad thing?
  2. Why can't the Vita handle more?
#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -
@Video_Game_King:  that picture is a fan made so you can actually explore the town like you could in the PS2 (aparently you can use a scooter now whoo!), it kinda suck in the P3P version that you couldn´t explore but it was no biggie you just  didn´t have that much immersion
#20 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

I liked P3P's system better.

#21 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Maybe you can touch the characters you want to talk to in hubs, it's faster than walking up to them. I gotta admit I'd rather have free control than that P3P stuff though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.