How does the save system work?

#1 Posted by TechHits (1366 posts) -

Just a quick question, I was wondering how the save system works. Having never played Persona 4 I don't know how it was handled previously, but I was wondering if it uses a save point system?

If so is there anyway to quick save and close P4 without losing any progress, say for example if I was mid boss fight and wanted to watch netflix instead?

#2 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

There are several save points in the game where you can save manually. As far as I know there is no auto-saving, so if you want to get a break during a boss fight, you can press the PS button and flick the screen aside without exiting the game.

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

There's no autosaving in P4, only fixed save points throughout the world where you can save manually. I don't know about P4G but considering that it's a Vita game you can put the game aside as Morrow pointed out. Other then that, no autosaving. I do know that P4G is a more generous with the checkpointing when you die though so redoing all of your progress is less of an issue.

#4 Edited by Soap_of_Death (94 posts) -

When your party gets wiped in a dungeon you get the option to restart from the beginning of the floor you are currently on. You only lose any progress made since entering that particular floor which is far better than losing everything since your last save.

#5 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

There are also points in the game where it'll ask you if you want to save, usually after a battle followed by a bunch of cut scenes.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (7991 posts) -

@Soap_of_Death said:

When your party gets wiped in a dungeon you get the option to restart from the beginning of the floor you are currently on. You only lose any progress made since entering that particular floor which is far better than losing everything since your last save.

I believe this is only available on Normal and lower.

#7 Posted by Darkstalker (703 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Soap_of_Death said:

I believe this is only available on Normal and lower.

this happens on hard too.

Technically there is one auto save. If you dont save the person from the tv in time you do have the option to go back one week in game time. Not sure if its in golden though

#8 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

Yo, this a JRPG not Doom.

#9 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

They removed the Save icon right before bosses. The only time you can save is in Shopping District/School Classroom (Yours!)/TV World,and it than sometimes asks you to save usually after major boss battles like Yosuke in stuff. It asks you once right before you make a huge decision to save too.

The game only restarts for Hard mode and below,but Very Hard you get no restarts like vanilla P4G. Very Easy is the only mode where you get to restart a battle,any mode higher is restart dungeon floor.

#10 Posted by TechHits (1366 posts) -

I see, well it's to bad they didn't implement any sort of memo or quick save considering it is on a handheld. This might be a deal breaker for me, the ability to stop playing when I feel like it(or have to for some reason) is the one thing I find most frustrating about playing jrpgs.

#11 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

: Just put the PS Vita on sleep and take a break or just use a Goho-M,but I kind of hear what you're saying,I was just hoping they at least add a return to the entrance icon for the boss floors since I always forget to buy Goho-M. I remembered to buy some when I finally got to Mitsuo dugeon,but forgot around Kanji's dungeon...

#12 Posted by animathias (1170 posts) -
@TechHits said:

I see, well it's to bad they didn't implement any sort of memo or quick save considering it is on a handheld. This might be a deal breaker for me, the ability to stop playing when I feel like it(or have to for some reason) is the one thing I find most frustrating about playing jrpgs.

Don't let that hold you back. My game's been paused during a school even with the Vita in sleep mode for a couple of days now, and I've minimized it to browse the store and such. You can't launch Netflix (or other games) and keep your position, though - it will warn you that it will close Persona 4, but that's a limitation of the Vita.  

If you have to stop playing, it's as simple as pressing the button and putting the Vita to sleep.
#13 Posted by MiniPato (2719 posts) -

@TechHits said:

If so is there anyway to quick save and close P4 without losing any progress, say for example if I was mid boss fight and wanted to watch netflix instead?

Well, I don't know any other game that does what you're asking to do (saving in the middle of a boss fight), like as an implemented system. You can easily just put your Vita to sleep and then turn it back on and pick up from where you left off.

#14 Posted by wchigo (539 posts) -

@Soap_of_Death said:

Really? Ugh, completely forgot this feature and closed P4G after a wipe last night... -_-;;

#15 Posted by TechHits (1366 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@TechHits said:

Well, I don't know any other game that does what you're asking to do (saving in the middle of a boss fight), like as an implemented system. You can easily just put your Vita to sleep and then turn it back on and pick up from where you left off.

FFT on GBA had that exact feature. Chrono trigger on snes had a save anywhere feature that could be loaded only once, so you could quit the game without a save point and not lose progress.

The problem is that I use my vita for other things such as watching netflix in bed with my gf. I would hate to have to stop doing that because I have persona4 running in the background.

#16 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@TechHits said:

@MiniPato said:

@TechHits said:

FFT on GBA had that exact feature. Chrono trigger on snes had a save anywhere feature that could be loaded only once, so you could quit the game without a save point and not lose progress.

The problem is that I use my vita for other things such as watching netflix in bed with my gf. I would hate to have to stop doing that because I have persona4 running in the background.

If the saving and dungeon structure is exactly the same as in the PS2 version, you should be fine. From what I remember, at any point in the game past the first few hours, as long as you aren't directly in the middle of a story moment, you are never more than like 30 seconds from a save point. As long as previously people have pointed out, you stock up on the item that lets you teleport back to the save point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.