Just bought the game.

#1 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

I found a copy today that was imported from Canada, I have always wanted to play this game and didn't want to wait for the UK release in February. I'm too scared to play the game until I have more information about it because I have heard if you don't play the game with a guide you can screw yourself by not doing the right thing, is that true?. I have never played a Persona game before and I don't play too many rpg's, I kept up with the final fantasy series for a while but that's about it. So as a new player going in what should I know?, and tips would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by punisherkaos (273 posts) -

Absolutely not, play your first playthrough without a guide and it will be alot more fun. Use it for a 2nd playthrough if u really want to

#3 Edited by Tomkang (251 posts) -

The game is a good length 70ish hours, so not everyone is up for playing it twice. You only need a guide if you are going for the true ending, which is a result of a few dialogue chooses at the very end as the game has 4 endings. Having watched the Endurance Run, they used FAQS for certain dialogue to increase traits, but there are many ways to do that.

#4 Posted by Roland_D11 (189 posts) -

I am fresh to the Persona series as well. I started P4G a few weeks ago and have only used a faq for the school questions and exams. I think you could screw yourself, but it gives you a pretty good sense of how much time you have to achieve the next goal. I am now 50 hours in and I am enjoying it very much. I set the combat difficulty to easy because I am rubbish at turn-based JRPGs. So, just go for it and enjoy the experience.

#5 Edited by mwng (931 posts) -

Save the guide for new game+. Just make a few different saves and come back to one if you're fretting you missed something.

As for tips;
Game is pretty easy on normal, you'll probably only struggle on the first optional boss.
Try to spend just a day rescuing dudes if possible, and while you don't have to clear EVERY shadow on EVERY floor, I advise killing a everything you can.
Spend your days leveling slinks rather than fishing etc.  Teammate slinks make the game easier.
Fuse EVERYTHING.
Make sure to spend time creating a stupid sounding rescue message.

#6 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I just started playing too. I use a guide for the questions at school, so I always get the skills up but other than that I'm just playing the way I like. Play it how you want the first time. Don't read a guide cause it will ruin the experience.

#7 Posted by Nightriff (5014 posts) -

Golden is a lot easier, you really don't need a guide, just enjoy the ride duder

#8 Posted by Asky314159 (59 posts) -

What they all said. Don't worry about a guide the first time through. The only thing you might screw up is the normal ending/bad ending branch, but the game prompts you to save right before that event, so it's easy enough to go back and try it again.

#9 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

Thanks a lot guys, I feel much better about jumping in now.

#10 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@Asky314159: Does the game have a good tutorial or does it just throw you in?

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (8156 posts) -

@pompouspizza: The game takes ~3 hours to get started. It definitely does not throw you in. That being said, it does an ok job of explaining key mechanics but a lot of the finer details are left for you to discover.

#12 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@mwng: Should i start on easy or normal?

#13 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (619 posts) -

@pompouspizza: start on normal. normal is easier than easy was for vanilla, only difference is that if you die you don't have any items to instantly revive you in the same battle, but it isn't as punishing as it used to be.

#14 Posted by mwng (931 posts) -
@MyNiceIceLife said:

@pompouspizza: start on normal. normal is easier than easy was for vanilla, only difference is that if you die you don't have any items to instantly revive you in the same battle, but it isn't as punishing as it used to be.

This!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.