Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Marie's Voice actor.

blueman360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blueman360

Could someone do me a solid and tell me the person who voices Marie? I keep looking it up but I can only find the answer of the Japanese version. Thanks!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I just watched the credits again, no luck - it's completely useless.

I find it sad that one of the core reasons people love this game (the excellent acting) isn't given its rightful place.

Still, that remix of Never More rocks.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@selfconfessedcynic said:

I find it sad that one of the core reasons people love this game (the excellent acting) isn't given its rightful place.

That sucks. The actors should be given their due. Persona 4 would not be the same without such quality acting.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Persona 4 without the voice acting is like Chie without steak.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ImmortalSaiyan: @MariachiMacabre:

Yeah, exactly.

I mean, I loved the old FF / Tactics games - many of those characters are still freaking awesome (Vincent comes to mind) . They didn't have voice acting - and to some extent, I don't know how P4 would be if it were to just go by the quality of its writing.

Thankfully we don't have to experience that - but I was expecting the voice actors to be right at the top, just below the director/etc like in films. Sadly, no - just a mention of the company that does the VO editing/etc near the end under US Localisation.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By wchigo

@selfconfessedcynic: There's a remix for Never More? OooOOoOOOooooo..... loved the original, worked so well with the ending to original P4. Can't wait to hear what the new one sounds like.

Now that you say that, I wonder if there were credits for the voice actors in the original Japanese release or the Asia localized releases...

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@wchigo: Japan definitely credits their original voice actors/actresses since they're actually held to higher esteem over there (since video game voice actors/actresses also voice anime which of course has a pretty large following overseas and people over there can actually drop names of more prolific voice actors and actresses)

For example, Japanese Marie is definitely Kana Hanazawa, and she's among the more prolific, popular voice actresses over there.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bocam

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

That sucks. The actors should be given their due. Persona 4 would not be the same without such quality acting.

They can't be given their due as the job was non-union.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wchigo

@EquitasInvictus said:

@wchigo: Japan definitely credits their original voice actors/actresses since they're actually held to higher esteem over there (since video game voice actors/actresses also voice anime which of course has a pretty large following overseas and people over there can actually drop names of more prolific voice actors and actresses)

For example, Japanese Marie is definitely Kana Hanazawa, and she's among the more prolific, popular voice actresses over there.

Yes, I'm well aware of how highly regarded seiyuus are compared to voice actors... a crude comparison of their popularity and status would be that in the west, their equivalent would be Hollywood stars.

Like for myself, I really enjoy the talents of seiyuus such as Hirano Aya, Ono Daisuke, Sakurai Takahiro, Fukuyama Jun, Paku Romi (to link to P4, plays Naoto) and Sakamoto Maaya just to name a few.

However, as I do not understand much more than a few words of Japanese, generally I am unable to enjoy Japanese games with their original audio tracks intact, barring certain special cases such as the Asia releases of Final Fantasy XIII which retains the Japanese audio while using English subtitles.

Edit add-on: (Forgot to put something I meant to.) This is why I questioned whether the seiyuus are credited in the Japanese releases. I would assume so, but I have no first-hand experience on the subject.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bocamsaid:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Oh really?

That kind of makes me really mad. But let's not get into opinions on unionisation. Good work should be recognised.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Bocam said:

Of course they could credit the actors if they wanted. Some would presumably be under fake names, but it would be perfectly doable. Non-union anime dubs do this all the time. It's just that the particular studio Atlus tends to use, PCB Productions, typically chooses not to provide any credits at all.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ said:

Well, we still don't know who Naoto's voice actress is. Perhaps Marie's will remain a mystery as well.

Hmm - when it comes to Naoto's, I'm happy it remains a mystery. It almost adds to the character.

*shrug* I don't mind it if specific actors/actresses themselves don't want to be revealed for whatever reason - but credit is still due to all of the others. But then, this topic has just become a place to say "I'm mad about the lack of credits for the actors in P4".

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Jedted

Part of me was hoping she was voiced by Courtenay Taylor(Jack in ME2).  Marie sounds perfect for her. 

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

Thankfully we don't have to experience that - but I was expecting the voice actors to be right at the top, just below the director/etc like in films. Sadly, no - just a mention of the company that does the VO editing/etc near the end under US Localisation.

Why do you think voice actors deserve to be higher than the artists and programmers who actually made the game? They spend a few hours in a booth reading off a piece of paper whereas people on the team spend years actually building the game, if you ask me they do deserve to be near the bottom of the credits.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jedted
    @Hunter5024:  The voice actors bring the game to life and make you care about the characters on a deeper level. 
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alternate

@Jedted said:

@Hunter5024: The voice actors bring the game to life and make you care about the characters on a deeper level.

but artists and programmers don't? Should be equal standing really, costs nothing to make a credit, even a fake one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

@Jedted said:

@Hunter5024: The voice actors bring the game to life and make you care about the characters on a deeper level.

The voice actors do less to bring the game to life than the writers, artists, and programmers. I mean sure the voices are part of the reason I care about the characters, and the characters are a large part of the games appeal, but the actor isn't the only person responsible for creating that character, in fact their role is relatively small. If Chie didn't have a voice I would still like her, if I never saw the way she looked I would like her less, if she didn't act the way she did than I wouldn't give a crap about her; there are much more important elements at work than the voice acting. I definitely think voice actors should get credit for what they do, but it's important to put into perspective their involvement, which in the grand scheme of any game is very little.

year199X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By year199X

@alternate said:

@Jedted said:

but artists and programmers don't? Should be equal standing really, costs nothing to make a credit, even a fake one.

We should start giving out awards to code monkeys for excellence in programming.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@year199X said:

@alternate said:

@Jedted said:

We should start giving out awards to code monkeys for excellence in programming.

The hollywood guys do that - best special effects in many cases is essentially an engine competition.

We have best visuals / graphics or whatnot and that almost boils down to the same thing. I mean, what else COULD you do to judge quality of programming - "Best executed game mechanic"? "Most rock-solid framerate"?

Aside from VO, best sound design is also definitely a category that usually goes unrewarded (and I'm not talking about best soundtrack >_>).

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shaunk

Kanji and Rise are voiced by the best male and female voice actors, that's all you need to know.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TohruAdachi

: When you say sound quality do you mean beats?

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By neurotic

It's a bummer that we don't know who she is cos she does an excellent job. I'd probably go so far as to say that Marie has the best voice acting in the series.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TohruAdachi said:

: When you say sound quality do you mean beats?

Sound design - that encompasses special effects, quality, timing, and a mess of other things. It's the under-appreciated fraternal twin to best sound track.

@Neurotic said:

It's a bummer that we don't know who she is cos she does an excellent job. I'd probably go so far as to say that Marie has the best voice acting in the series.

Man, that's a tough one to choose. I'd personally put my vote behind Kanji, Dojima or Naoto as best VO, with Kanji in the lead by a nose (his comedic timing is impeccable and the man definitely has range).

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TohruAdachi

: Mine is a tie between Adachi and Shadow Kanji since I believe there's a different voice actor for his shadow right? I read that somewhere,on the other hand I think they did a great voice acting on those,other than that I would have to say normal Kanji -> Yosuke -> Teddie (STAIRWAY TO MATURITY BROTHA)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Well, we still don't know who Naoto's voice actress is. Perhaps Marie's will remain a mystery as well.

I thought it was this woman.

Everything's in the link I posted. Again, we don't know who Naoto's voice actress is.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@TohruAdachi said:

: Mine is a tie between Adachi and Shadow Kanji since I believe there's a different voice actor for his shadow right? I read that somewhere,on the other hand I think they did a great voice acting on those,other than that I would have to say normal Kanji -> Yosuke -> Teddie (STAIRWAY TO MATURITY BROTHA)

Troy Baker has done the Shadow Kanji voice in real life and it sounds a lot like Troy Baker so I'm going to make the assumption that Troy did shadow Kanji.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TohruAdachi

: Well whoever the hell it is,props to them for doing such a great voice!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SethPhotopoulos: @TohruAdachi: Oh really? *reads into Troy Baker*

So he did Vincent (from Catherine), Kanji and shadow Kanji? Man, that guy rocks. (not to mention Yuri from Tales of Vesperia, Snow from FFXIII and a grip of others)

That said, the most emotionally effecting moment in P4 - when nanako dies - made me forever respectful of Dojima's actor (apprently a gentleman named JB Blanc). If it had turned out Shadow Kanji was someone else, I'd have had to revise my number 1 spot.

But, atm, with moments like the reenactment of the Birth of Venus (and preceding scenes), Kanji remains king.

ED: How do you make a poll on these forums anyway? I assumed it'd unlock after I reached some threshold of posts or level, but that hasn't happened yet - and what searching I have done revealed nothing (just that there's an option somewhere for it that I can't seem to find).

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By neurotic

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah, Troy Baker's pretty damn good but he is everywhere these days. Same with Laura Bailey (Rise). I also really like Liam O'Brien as Akihiko but, again, that dude is everywhere. I thought Dojima's VA was David Lodge? Or am I making that up?

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neurotic said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah, Troy Baker's pretty damn good but he is everywhere these days. Same with Laura Bailey (Rise). I also really like Liam O'Brien as Akihiko but, again, that dude is everywhere. I thought Dojima's VA was David Lodge? Or am I making that up?

I really really don't like Rise. Not that she's acted poorly or anything - but goddamn.

I just needed to say that.

But yeah, google tells me that apparently everyone thought it was David Lodge but it turns out it was JB Blanc - Marie and Naoto are still big unknowns though.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By neurotic

@selfconfessedcynic: Is that just cos she's the navigator though? I could understand that. If you think English Rise is bad, just listen to Japanese Rise. Like nails on a chalkboard.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neurotic: Nah, I just don't like the character's personality. The actress does an amazing job of portraying someone I don't like, I guess.

I should listen to samples of the JP version to hear what you're talking about.

dogman795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dogman795

By doing some research, it appears that Nanako, Marie, and Aigis are all voiced by one Karen Strassman.

I had to look at the credits for a ton of different anime and games, plus listen to the VO in even more, but I'm pretty sure it's her. We'll never know 100% though unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I heard her deliver one line and thought it was Michelle Ruff (Yukari), because all white women voices sound like Michelle Ruff. Or I guess the opposite.

Also yeah, it's non-union. Wittenberg went union and that's why they needed a new Teddie.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jedted

Off topic but does anyone else think the new Teddie voice actor sounds exactly like the old one?  Maybe it's just been a while since i watched the ER but i can hardly tell the difference.  Of course Teddie's character isn't the most sophisticated but i thought he did a good job. 

Anyone know how many more "bear" puns are added in this over the original game?  Has anyone ever bothered to count em all? 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

@Jedted: He is a lot more flat. Once he gets out the suit the difference is incredibly noticeable. His tone is a lot flatter and the pitch is lower. The old teddie was more excitable and had a higher pitch. I finished the endurance run again while in new game plus and there is a profound difference at times, but in general he roughly replicates the old teddie.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackLagoon

@PistolPackinPoet said:

Karen Strassman

According to http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Marie

All that means is that some random person edited that wiki to add her. It's no more reliable than the speculation in this thread. Case in point - it's since been changed to Eden Riegel, which, without actually having compared the voices myself, is actually one of the first plausible suggestions I've seen. She's known to do non-union dubs every now and then, and she's not prolific enough for people to immediately identify her.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

@BlackLagoon said:

@PistolPackinPoet said:

Karen Strassman

According to http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Marie

All that means is that some random person edited that wiki to add her. It's no more reliable than the speculation in this thread. Case in point - it's since been changed to Eden Riegel, which, without actually having compared the voices myself, is actually one of the first plausible suggestions I've seen. She known to do non-union dubs every now and then, and she's not prolific enough for people to immediately identify her.

My mistake

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.