New Screenshots, Ski Trip

• 72 results
#51 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah, I guess it's good if you play it that way. It's more my need to see ATLUS release a current gen Persona game, before the current gen is over.

Just imagine how good this game would look on PS3 or X360.

#52 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I can't wait for this game. As soon as it comes out in Japan a Vita will be ordered, along with the game obviously.

@SmasheControllers said:

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah, I guess it's good if you play it that way. It's more my need to see ATLUS release a current gen Persona game, before the current gen is over.

Just imagine how good this game would look on PS3 or X360.

But the Vita isn't even all that far behind a PS3 or 360, the only reason this game doesn't look better than it does is because it's still a PS2 port at its core.

Uncharted looks better than a lot of 360 games! (and PS3 games in fact)

#53 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

@Sooty: It's the damn screen size, I personally hate handheld games that try to do what consoles can already do. Handheld games are always, and I mean ALWAYS, better when it's designed with the device limitations in mind.

Maybe I'm not the market they're going for anymore, but I don't like sitting for hours on end staring at a small screen when I have a perfectly fine TV in the same room.

I also know that this is marketed towards the Japanese market, I mean the still isn't even confirmed for a US release, and handhelds do insanely well over there. So I completely understand why they do what they do.

You know what would really make me happy, a PC version!

#54 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

@Sooty: It's the damn screen size, I personally hate handheld games that try to do what consoles can already do. Handheld games are always, and I mean ALWAYS, better when it's designed with the device limitations in mind.

Maybe I'm not the market they're going for anymore, but I don't like sitting for hours on end staring at a small screen when I have a perfectly fine TV in the same room.

I also know that this is marketed towards the Japanese market, I mean the still isn't even confirmed for a US release, and handhelds do insanely well over there. So I completely understand why they do what they do.

You know what would really make me happy, a PC version!

It's more a testament to how far mobile hardware has came than them just trying to do everything a console can, it's not trying to copy a console, it's just them doing what the machine is capable of, the PS3 and 360 are so outdated now and mobile hardware has made insane leaps in the last 2 years. PSV is running some sort of quad core ARM chip. That is CRAZY. I'd really rather have a mini console than a handheld that just plays games like Cut the Rope.

Well it is Atlus, I mean they didn't announce Catherine was coming to the US until like 5 months before the game actually came out, by that time the game was already out in Japan for around a month or two I think. P4:G is meant to be out Q2 2012 so I guess you are looking at a fall release in the US. I really don't want to wait that long and since I quite like the Japanese voice actors I'm just going to import it.

#55 Posted by Pepsiman (2472 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@Pepsiman: Could you translate these, pretty please?

Two translations coming on up!

First screenshot: "Priestess: Change any card in your hand into an Arcana Card." And as for the descriptions hovering over the other two cards: "Level Up Persona" and "Change into Persona." The rest of the text is obviously just interface stuff that I'm sure you can correctly guess.

The actual meaning behind the Priestess description in Japanese is a little iffy without being able to see some additional context. My first instinct is that it refers to the other cards on the screen (and not, as I initially thought, your stock of existing Persona cards) and given how the description that hovers over the Hierophant card implies you can change an Arcana card into a Persona one, I suspect that the Priestess card is therefore able to change a Persona card into an Arcana one or alter the Arcana of an existing Arcana card. That's my best guess, but again, without being able to see the game in action, it's hard to be completely certain.

Anyway, second screenshot: "Select a difficulty level." Safety description: "This is for players who just want to enjoy the story. The difficulty level is even lower than 'EASY' and there's no need to worry about game overs." Pretty straightforward stuff. I'm sure I don't really need to elucidate on that.

#56 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

I might be in the minority here, but I always felt that this game was easy enough as it was. I'd imagine anything below normal to be a chore, particularly in a game as long as this. I recently played through P3P on Hard and it was essentially the same, the only real difference was the enforced grinding, mainly because the price to summon Persona's skyrockets.

#57 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@Pepsiman: Awesome. Thanks a billion!

The actual meaning behind the Priestess description in Japanese is a little iffy without being able to see some additional context. My first instinct is that it refers to the other cards on the screen (and not, as I initially thought, your stock of existing Persona cards) and given how the description that hovers over the Hierophant card implies you can change an Arcana card into a Persona one, I suspect that the Priestess card is therefore able to change a Persona card into an Arcana one or alter the Arcana of an existing Arcana card. That's my best guess, but again, without being able to see the game in action, it's hard to be completely certain.

Interesting. The interface makes it seem like another variation of the Arcana chance mini-game, and it probably is, but it seems like there's more than memorization involved this time.

Anyway, second screenshot: "Select a difficulty level." Safety description: "This is for players who just want to enjoy the story. The difficulty level is even lower than 'EASY' and there's no need to worry about game overs." Pretty straightforward stuff. I'm sure I don't really need to elucidate on that.

Heh, should have known.

I hoped that little blurb would have given us some insight in what the different difficulties actually entail, but this comes from the same guys who gave us "On normal mode a certain degree of challenge is present" :P

#58 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

I might be in the minority here, but I always felt that this game was easy enough as it was. I'd imagine anything below normal to be a chore, particularly in a game as long as this. I recently played through P3P on Hard and it was essentially the same, the only real difference was the enforced grinding, mainly because the price to summon Persona's skyrockets.

Oh yeah, that was Persona 3 Portable's idea of a "hard mode"

Inflate the Velvet Room prices tenfold, forcing my hand into fusing super Personas, thus, discouraging experimentation and making the game easier as an end result :/ That was dumb. P3P was way too easy across the board. P3 was not made with P4 mechanics in mind!

#59 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

I am getting a vita mainly because of this game :( I just hope they fix the UMD thing so I dont have to worry about keeping both psp's charged :(

#60 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

Oh yeah, that was Persona 3 Portable's idea of a "hard mode"

Inflate the Velvet Room prices tenfold, forcing my hand into fusing super Personas, thus, discouraging experimentation and making the game easier as an end result :/ That was dumb. P3P was way too easy across the board. P3 was not made with P4 mechanics in mind!

You'd never have finished it if you were attempting to max out every S-Link in the process, like I did...

#61 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

And the award for BEST AFRO THAT IS ALSO THE GODDAMN SUN goes to...
#62 Posted by adamfedoruk (219 posts) -

Its Super Saiyan Yosuke-Man

#63 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

Don't really need a vita and don't especially want one but goddamn do I want to play this.

#64 Posted by Dizzyhippos (1433 posts) -

@DonutFever said:

And the award for BEST AFRO THAT IS ALSO THE GODDAMN SUN goes to...

You can take funky student into battle? sold!

#65 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Pretty hard to believe that a JRPG could be a system seller in 2012. This makes me very happy.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this!

#66 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -
#67 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@RockinKemosabe said:

I want to see Teddie on skis.

Give me this game now

#68 Posted by kerse (2113 posts) -

God dammit now I have to buy a vita, thanks guys...

#69 Posted by solidwolf52 (300 posts) -

This is the game that's pushing me over the buying a Vita tipping point.

#70 Posted by JimiPeppr (301 posts) -

Was the ski trip only in the Japanese version? I just finished the game but never saw it.

#71 Posted by Flappy (2236 posts) -

@jimipeppr: It's in both versions, but you have to max Marie's SL before a certain point in the story.

#72 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

I miss the hype.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.