P4G To Have New VA For Teddie and Chie

• 106 results
#1 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/06/persona-4-golden-will-have-new-english-voices-for-teddie-and-chie-too/

While it shouldn't be a surprise given their new VAs in Arena, the entirety of Persona 4 Golden will also feature new VAs for these two characters.  All their lines were rerecorded to maintain consistency given there will be about 40% additional lines in Golden over the vanilla version.

Atlus USA did mention that: “That said, it’s important fans don’t base their impressions on the [Persona 4: Arena] tutorial video.”

This does seem to mean "Aha is this our chance?" will be a thing of the past.
#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -
#3 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#4 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

Jabbari right, the actors probably improve after we first heard them so I'm willing to accept the new voices for Teddie and Chie.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HHHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!!!

In all seriousness it's not a big deal though I would prefer if Chie's original VA returned even though a lot of people thought it sounded a little older then it should have. I didn't get that impression but that's beside the point.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

Teddie is the biggest loss. I suspect Erin will do a fine job as Chie, but Teddie's new VA sounds generically anime bullshit

#7 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@Animasta said:

Teddie is the biggest loss. I suspect Erin will do a fine job as Chie, but Teddie's new VA sounds generically anime bullshit

He sounds like a VA from the 90s more than anything else.  Those were dark times.
#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Well, that kills just about any hype I had for the game. The Teddie in the arena video sounded like a cheap imitation without any of the charm.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

according to someone on youtube (great source I know) Wittenberg didn't come back because he only does union jobs now? or something? I dunno.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

If they said dont judge based on the tutorial video then im going to wait till i hear them in game.

#11 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Well there goes that.

#12 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@Animasta said:

according to someone on youtube (great source I know) Wittenberg didn't come back because he only does union jobs now? or something? I dunno.

Does that pretty much dash my hopes of another Valkyria Chronicles starring Welkin?
#13 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Good thing I don't give a shit about Chie. As long as Yukiko has the same voice then all is right in the world.

#14 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

mannnn.....I share the same sentiment with the rest, its a bummer, but I can live without Chie. Teddie, though? This makes me less willing to get the game. The new guy sounds insufferable in the videos they've shown so far.

#15 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1553 posts) -

Well fuck.

#16 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Getting the JP version anyway!

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

No one should be surprised by this. After P4 Arena and the lack of Teddie and Chie this should have been expected. It's still disappointing.

#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Somewhat unrelated but what's the word on the soundtrack? I know that they're adding some new tracks but getting some of the remixed versions of the original tracks would be pretty fucking dapper if I say so myself.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -

Wait, why is Teddie getting a different voice? Is Dave Wittenberg too busy with Naruto or whatever to record some new lines?

#20 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2140 posts) -

Now I'm extra not going to buy it.

#21 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Has it been revealed why Chie's VA didn't come back?

#22 Posted by Gnorbooth (282 posts) -

This sucks. Even though Chie sounded like a middle aged woman at times, she grew on me as one of my favorite characters, and her "voice" reminds me of that fact. Yeah kind of bummed at this news. It always sucks to go back and re-record main characters that have a lot of lines and have special performances that you remember from the original game. But here is hoping that the new peeps bring their thunder stick to the performance and don't ruin a good thing. Though if anyone can recreate the magic, it's probably Atlus.

Have they said at all if they are going to do any voice-over stuff for the social links as part of this revamped and new dialog that they are adding to Golden?

#23 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

Somewhat unrelated but what's the word on the soundtrack? I know that they're adding some new tracks but getting some of the remixed versions of the original tracks would be pretty fucking dapper if I say so myself.

they should just put those remixes in the game.

That heaven remix is so good

#24 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@Maystack said:

Has it been revealed why Chie's VA didn't come back?

IIRC, her VA usually doesn't usually do video games or anime, so her role in P4 was a right time right place kind of thing in the first place.
#25 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Oh wow, how disappointing. I won't pass judgement 'till I play the game because the new VAs might be great, but this does dampen my hype a bit.

#26 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I'm okay with any and all changes as long as they're not astonishingly bad, I want to hear their take on the characters in length.

#27 Posted by CornBREDX (4855 posts) -

Wow. That's a weird choice, but I understand why they did it.

I still don't get why the guy who played Teddie isn't on board. Maybe he's to big now or something.

#28 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah a simple ability to switch between the original and remix in the options would be really nice. I doubt it would happen but a man can dream. The soundtrack for that game is one of my favourites ever.

#29 Posted by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

Of all the voice actors to not come back, Chie.... :(

Teddie... well, you can just go ahead and make him silent. Just cut out the sound files and let the error message appear whenever he has a line.

#30 Posted by Ghostiet (5229 posts) -

Teddie is fucking atrocious. Jesus.

#31 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

not happy about the change in Chie's VA, and only a little sad about Teddie's VA being different. I'll have hope that they will be better then what they were in the P4A tutorial video, but something tells me that I'll probably be moving on to Kanji or Naoto for my party members.

#32 Posted by Karmosin (210 posts) -

Well, yeah, I've probably said this before. Chies voice kinda grew on me, her VA wasn't spotless, but there was a personality in the voice and delivery that I kinda connect the character with now. I'm sure that the new VA will do a good job, it's just too bad that the old VA is kinda etched into my mind as the real Chie.

And about Teddie... Damn... From what I've heard I feel like I'm gonna mute everytime he says a line. Hopefully... It'll be ok. Atleast not making your ears bleed that is.

#33 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:

@Animasta: Yeah a simple ability to switch between the original and remix in the options would be really nice. I doubt it would happen but a man can dream. The soundtrack for that game is one of my favourites ever.

Remember how you could switch up dungeon music in The Answer for P3 FES?  So there is some precedent out there.
#34 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@eroticfishcake said:

Remember how you could switch up dungeon music in The Answer for P3 FES? So there is some precedent out there.

Well in P3P if you played the male protagonist it'll play the original soundtrack whereas playing a female character played the new tracks so it's not a surprise if they do give the option this time around. I don't want to be too optimistic though. No real biggie really since I'm happy enough the soundtracks I've got...not to mention the art books and drama CDs that I don't even understand without a script. BUT WHATEVER MORE PERSONA THE BETTER.

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Atlus USA did mention that: “That said, it’s important fans don’t base their impressions on the [Persona 4: Arena] tutorial video.”

Hahaha

#36 Posted by AlisterCat (5488 posts) -

Doing it wrong. Boooooo.

#37 Edited by drac96 (668 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Turambar said:

Hahaha

That was my reaction to that quote too. Are they fully admitting that their voice acting is bad in that tutorial video?

#38 Posted by Joker369 (870 posts) -

And there goes my interest in not only this game, but also the Vita.

#39 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

@isnipeyoudie said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You call me?

#40 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

NO

NO

NO

WHY?!

NO

Not Chie, why couldn't it be Yukiko?

#41 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I willing to accept Nolan North instead of Troy Baker...BUT NO ONE ELSE

#42 Posted by isbecome (82 posts) -

I am actually kind of interested in hearing a new take on Chie. I didn't dislike her voice but I wasn't super happy with it either.

I'll never own a Vita though so WOOPS.

#43 Edited by MrAristocrates (194 posts) -

Teddie's gone? Well, that just fucking sucks.

That said, it'll probably be fine as long as the new guy doesn't try too hard to copy him exactly.

#44 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

This makes me a little sad. But I've accepted the fact that I won't play it anyhow. T.T

Damn you Vita for costing money.

#45 Edited by AndrewB (7512 posts) -

@Gerhabio said:

NO

NO

NO

WHY?!

NO

Anger and bargaining will soon lead to acceptance. The stages of grief will pass.

#46 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

Now I'm extra not going to buy it.

Exactly how I feel. I became too attatched to the voices of my 2 favorite characters. I'll just play my ps2 version again.

#47 Posted by JeanLuc (3574 posts) -

I expected this. Of course I'm bummed but I'm willing to give it a chance.

#48 Posted by obcdexter (580 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Gerhabio said:

NO

NO

NO

WHY?!

NO

Anger and bargaining will soon lead to acceptance. The stages of grief will pass.

I was already there ... I can live with Chie's fate - and the new VA is pretty good, too. But ... now Teddie will be replaced as well?

Oh, the anger! :/

On the other hand: Jesus! 40% more voiced content? Yay!

#49 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

If new Teddie sounds anything like in the Arena video, I will continue judging. Don't try to tell me to be calm. I'll kill you!

#50 Posted by DonChipotle (2697 posts) -

Why couldn't they just get rid of Yuri Lowenthal while they were at it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.