Persona 4: Golden Opening

• 76 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Aside from the "Persona 4 The Golden" at the beginning, I'd expect this opening to be the exact same one we get here.

The style's definitely different compared to the original opening and I'd say I prefer the original one, but this is cool too. Especially the dancing. I find it interesting how, when Atlus requires it, they adopt the name of "Yu Narukami" for the protagonist, but when it's not necessary, they will just use "Hero".

Original for comparison:

#2 Edited by Karmosin (222 posts) -

Hah, what a trip :P

I think the song and style of the original opening suits the game more, don't know exactly how the golden will be but I guess it will be very similiar since it's a remake, but I really liked the imagery in this one. Makes me very happy in some way.

Persona 4 still has an awesome amount of style ^^

#3 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2058 posts) -

I dig it.

#4 Posted by AlisterCat (5705 posts) -

Much prefer the original.

#5 Posted by Master_Funk (740 posts) -

Hmm its okay, but like P3P, I vastly prefer that original. Though thats probably because I've heard it countless times.

#6 Posted by Karmosin (222 posts) -

The more I look at it the more I like it. :P

#7 Posted by Kscorps (55 posts) -

I like the original more.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm of the majority opinion that while the original is better, the new one's still pretty good. It's got enough style and rhythm to keep it going.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

the original's probably better, but it doesn't have sick dancing

I am conflicted

#10 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I'm all for any new content they cram in there, it's not like I specifically want to listen to the first second of the original opening every time I boot up Golden. It's nice.

#11 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

I greatly prefer the original, both in music and visuals. I like my openers to have some 'kick' in them to get me pumped for what's coming and I feel that lacking in the Golden's opener. Also seeing the characters dance and goof off seemed somewhat out of character for all others than Rise, for her the dancing fit well.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

As much as I prefer the original, I still think the new opening is super cool.

#13 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (356 posts) -

J-pop meets Blues Travler. I'm into it.

#14 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

Girl, I love your Golden Opening.

Still spoils all the characters you get for your party though - which makes it awful for an attract screen.

#15 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5074 posts) -

Okay, them dancing sold me on this intro.

#16 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

@alternate said:

Still spoils all the characters you get for your party though - which makes it awful for an attract screen.

So does the original opener, and the cover art. I don't think that who you are gonna get in your team is even tried to keep secret. Game is full of twists and surprises anyways.

#17 Posted by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

This new one strikes me more as a TV show opening. In fact this is what the anime opening sound have been.

#18 Posted by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

I liked the original stuff with the silhouettes more, but this is still very cool. I want this game very badly.

#19 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

The opening bars reminded me of Cowboy Bebop, not a bad thing at all, but it isn't what I want from this game. I didn't really think the dancing or the music was fitting, it felt more like fan service than a actual remake. That being said the animation was very well done, but it is still not nearly as good as the original.

#20 Edited by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

What do you have to smoke to produce that kind of stuff? Chie's got the moves.

I like it. Of course, I'm not as partial to the original. It's no Burn My Dread.

I want to hear the title screen music though. I suppose it's probably just the one from Persona 4 proper though.

Crap, they changed the battle music???

#21 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

At first I wasn't in love with it, but I've watched it a few times and it has grown on me. I could not be any more excited for the game at this point, it sounds like they've added enough new stuff to really flesh out the game, but even if they didn't I'd still be sold.

#22 Edited by MEATBALL (3392 posts) -

Disappointed, I really liked P3P's opening (I probably preferred it to P3's original opening) and was hoping P4G's opening would be similarly awesome. It's not nearly as good as the original. That said, I want this game on my Vita right now!

#23 Posted by eroticfishcake (7787 posts) -

I preferred the original as do a lot of people here but I can really dig it. I like how it's dancing first then...BODIES HANGING OFF HIGH PLACES.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@alternate said:

The original opening does the same.

#25 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

Even the box art does. I guess compromises have to be made in the name of trying to get people to buy the game, like showing a gigantic walking, talking teddie bear.

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

The original still plays if you gain a Battle Advantage on an enemy.

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@AndrewB said:

The original still plays if you gain a Battle Advantage on an enemy.

Ah. At least it's still in there. Gives you even more incentive to get the advantage.

#28 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

I know, hence "still" :D

#29 Posted by Melanon (58 posts) -

Fucking love the new opening. Especially the dancing bits. It's just so upbeat and happy!

#30 Posted by SilvarusLupus (310 posts) -

Oh my god, a Harmonica. It's been so long since I've heard one of those used well in a song.

I like it. It's trippy and I think it sets the feel of Persona 4. Dancing still makes me 'lol'.

#31 Posted by Nux (2405 posts) -

It's not bad but I like the original better.

#32 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1194 posts) -

@Apsup said:

I greatly prefer the original, both in music and visuals. I like my openers to have some 'kick' in them to get me pumped for what's coming and I feel that lacking in the Golden's opener. Also seeing the characters dance and goof off seemed somewhat out of character for all others than Rise, for her the dancing fit well.

Good point. Really, Chie, Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto all seem like they would be too embarrassed to be dancing like that. Not that I am complaining, those dance moves are fresh.

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I always want my Persona 4 crew to dance and this intro does that. LOVE IT!

#34 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

My Persona 4 Golden machine is ready to take Persona 4 Golden's seed. Five more months until my Persona 4 Golden Machine can be of any use to me...

#35 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

Dat Harmonica

#36 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@alternate

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

It's also still an incredibly silly thing to get annoyed about.
#37 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

The original is better, yeah. The harmonica was an interesting touch, though.

#38 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@alternate

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

Who is annoyed? I don't think they should spoil the characters in a movie that loops during the titles. Seems bad practice for their own game. Some people will get bent out of shape over that stuff, especially RPG fans. Depends on what you consider a spoiler. At least in the original they are Silhouettes.

Personally I don't care one way or the other.

#39 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
@alternate They're all still on the cover art of the original version.
#40 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@alternate

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

Actually, its something that has always bothered me about P4 as well.  The question of "who's going to show up next on the Midnight Channel?" isn't nearly as interesting after you have seen the intro. Don't you think you would have been surprised that Naoto joined the investigation team, if her mug wasn't plastered over the cover?

I imagine those who experienced P4 through the ER first can relate, 'cause they went in fresh.
#41 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Yup. Not a decision I would have made either. Again, not personally fussed, but why annoy your potential fans if you don't have to? Not as if the cover is great or anything anyway. Something more stylized like with P3 would be a better fit.

#42 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@Hailinel said:

@alternate

@FluxWaveZ said:

@alternate said:

Actually, its something that has always bothered me about P4 as well. The question of "who's going to show up next on the Midnight Channel?" isn't nearly as interesting after you have seen the intro. Don't you think you would have been surprised that Naoto joined the investigation team, if her mug wasn't plastered over the cover? I imagine those who experienced P4 through the ER first can relate, 'cause they went in fresh.

It was a bit of a running gag in ER wasn't it.

Jeff : "Do you think it is doing to that Rise chick inside the TV?"

Vinny: "You mean the one on the box cover? he he"

#43 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

i like it! original is in my heart though.

#44 Posted by SupernormalStep (208 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

What do you have to smoke to produce that kind of stuff? Chie's got the moves.

I like it. Of course, I'm not as partial to the original. It's no Burn My Dread.

I want to hear the title screen music though. I suppose it's probably just the one from Persona 4 proper though.

I actually really like the new battle music.

#45 Posted by Nottle (1918 posts) -

I like the Blues Traveler first few seconds and the Peanuts Dance Chie does is pretty great. Not as cool as the original ending, this seems a little more... silly with the scooters. Also that new girl sure is prevalent.

#46 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@alternate said:

@Hailinel said:

Yup. Not a decision I would have made either. Again, not personally fussed, but why annoy your potential fans if you don't have to? Not as if the cover is great or anything anyway. Something more stylized like with P3 would be a better fit.

I just find it an incredibly silly thing to get annoyed about. I have never, ever felt hat such an opening or cover art spoiled a game for me. The opening doesn't do anything to introduce the characters other than match names to faces. If anyone gets upset by that, they need a priority check and nothing more.

#47 Posted by SonGoten (12 posts) -

Well, I played the game without ever seeing the original box art and without watching the intro and I'm honestly glad I didn't know who any of the characters were at all.

#48 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Man... those Japanese people sure do love sining in English....

#49 Posted by PolygonSlayer (432 posts) -

Will get a Vita, even if this is the only thing I'll ever play on it :D Persona 4 is one of my all time fav RPGs :)

#50 Posted by AngelN7 (2972 posts) -

Ehh is alright the original is still better , acutally I like "remake" P2 intro theme better... just F'ing cool

more than spoiling the characters someone who hasn't played 4 before and watches that intro too many times can figure out who's the third dead character hanging upside down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.