Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Should I buy a Vita for P4G?

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PonchoPowerPhD

First off, let me preface this by saying that I've gone through Persona 4 100% on the PS2, I believe I have something in the realm ~100-150 hours in that game. I love the series, I've played many of the games in the series and I've thoroughly enjoyed nearly all of them. However, as I was going back to listen to the TGS Podcast and heard TotalBiscuit talking about P4G; it peeked my interest when I looked at all the shiny, new things added, however, I don't have a PS Vita and I was wondering, are the new things added in P4G worth getting that system for? Honestly, nothing else on the system really interests me much, so before I drop like $200-300 to play one game, I wanted to find out what you guys(and gals) think.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PonchoPowerPhD

Also, sorry about the font in my previous post, it was accidental. I didn't really notice as I typed it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Edited your thread title and moved out of General.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PonchoPowerPhD

Oh, okay, I'm sort of new to this

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mb said:

Edited your thread title and moved out of General.

Which caused it to eat my post!

Anyway, yes, you should definitely spend an obscene amount of money to replay a game you've already completed 100% with a few extra bells and whistles.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes!

Also there are other games on the Vita.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not for that price. In fact, I kind of hold the position that the PS2 version is still the better overall game. If you want a Vita anyway it's worth playing, but not for that alone.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey

sure

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eskimo

There's really not much available on Vita, and doesnt seem to be much coming up in the future either. Maybe if you have a PS4 the remote play stuff might be good, but that stuff is fairly niche.

Doesn't sound like a good investment for a single game.

Also, it's "piqued my interest", not "peeked"

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Golden, but I can't imagine that game alone warrants the purchase of the system if you've already played so much of the original version and have no interest in anything else on the system. I guess I don't know how much they added to Golden, but I can't believe it's $200+ worth of content, personally speaking of course.

I'd take a second look at the Vita's other offerings though. You might be able to justify the purchase better if you see some other interesting things. Consider getting in on Playstation Plus, they add Vita games to that library all the time.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if I made that spelling error. Also, what else is there on the Vita that will appeal to someone who likes JRPGs an awful lot?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TruthTellah

@ponchopowerphd: The new Ys: Memories of Celceta is apparently quite good.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not buy a Vita if you intend to play only one game, even if it is a great game like Persona 4.

Now, if you DO intend to buy the Vita regardless, I'll give my thoughts on it. Having 100% Persona 4 on the PS2, I was also a bit uncertain about playing it. I'm just getting to August in the game, and so far there has been a nice handful of new changes that are interesting. The BIGGEST changes so far are the two new social links - Marie and Adachi, and going through those is a lot of fun and it is pretty interesting. I know that there is a :LOT of new content covering the months of January and February, and a new dungeon, but I haven't gotten to those quite yet, so I can't say anything about that. Of things I have tried out, you get a Scooter relatively early on in the game, and you can travel to new locations like Okina city, which also has some brand new shops and quests in them. You can also change your characters outfits in the dungeon, which is a very nice touch and allows you to add a certain bit of customization to your party that wasn't in the PS2 version. There's also a lot of new voice acting, the rank 9 and 10 parts of the social links (I think all of them, but I can't say for sure) are now voiced, and ALL of the new scenes added to the game (I've encountered about six or so new scenes from April-August, so it's not a whole lot on that front) are voiced as well. Additionally, Chie's new voice takes a bit to get used to, but it's a lot better than the old one. Teddie's new voice actor is unnoticeable, he sounds exactly the same.

Speaking of exactly the same, combat is EXACTLY the same, there is nothing new in the combat. Though when you win a battle, and you have a chance to get cards, it works differently now. There's no penalty cards, and the minor arcana cards from Persona 3 are back as well. Additionally, I've noticed that there is almost ALWAYS a golden hand on every floor, and if you want to level quickly, you want to find and kill them. Going back to a different floor also resets it now, whereas it didn't in the PS2 version, which is a very appreciated change, since it resets all the opened chests and the golden hands as well. It DOES make it a bit easy, but it's fun nonetheless. Fusing is also SLIGHTLY different, now instead of the abilities going over to the new Persona being random, you get to choose them, and let me tell you, this will save you a LOT of time. Definitely the best change to the dungeon crawling experience I've found. There is also skill cards, but honestly they're not very significant, and I haven't bothered to use them at all. With the cards, you can make your persona learn different abilities, and I imagine the higher level cards are quite useful, but right now, the lower level ones are just ok.

There are a lot of other minor things - the Fox's Ema requests have been changed around from what I can remember, and you can now tend to a garden at home and catch bugs to go fishing with, and you can now go outside at night, but all of those have been relatively minor changes. Though going out at night allows you to trade gems and other trinkets at the item shop for some pretty damn good weapons, but they cost a LOT of gems and would require a lot of grinding, which I just don't find to be worth it.

That's everything I can think of. So far I'd say that if you haven't played Persona 4 in a while go for it, but if you're fresh off of the experience of Persona 4, don't bother. Too much is still the same to justify playing it again so soon.

I hope this helps.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

"Teddie's new voice actor is unnoticeable, he sounds exactly the same."

I can't agree with that. I noticed immediately and it's actually one of the biggest bummers about P4G for me. I know not everyone has an ear for voice acting like me, so I can understand wht it doesn't bother everyone as much as me, but if you liked the orignal Teddie as much as I did it's just not the same.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By PandaBear

Yes because there's a heap of good to great PS Vita games and the sales of the console have picked up in recent months, so more should be on the way.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got 100% on Persona 4 like 3 months ago, so I'm not sure If I want to now, considering what you said Random. Also, I don't like Chie's new voice, it makes her sound like a little kid, albeit, she is a teenager, but it makes her sound way too young. I really liked Chie, I picked her as my romance option, and the new voice makes her seem like less of a badass, which was precisely why I chose her in the first place.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: Also, how much new content is there?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sorry if I made that spelling error. Also, what else is there on the Vita that will appeal to someone who likes JRPGs an awful lot?

FFX/X-2 HD Remaster, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars, Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God, Ragnarok Odyssey, Rainbow Moon, Dragon's Crown.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Probably...probably. Right?

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: So, I didn't like FFX/X-2 the first time I played them, so I doubt that will change, Ys doesn't seem to have the story I want out a game, same with Ragnarok. Rainbow Moon looks cool, Dragon's Crown also looks interesting as well. However, none of these games are as remotely enticing as something like P4G.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Sterling

@ponchopowerphd: Well, there is nothing else like Persona. Its very unique.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

"Teddie's new voice actor is unnoticeable, he sounds exactly the same."

I can't agree with that. I noticed immediately and it's actually one of the biggest bummers about P4G for me. I know not everyone has an ear for voice acting like me, so I can understand wht it doesn't bother everyone as much as me, but if you liked the orignal Teddie as much as I did it's just not the same.

I can't stand Teddie's voice, so I guess I just don't care enough to notice, haha. The new one sounds just as annoying to me as the old one, so I just tune it all out.

@random45: Also, how much new content is there?

If I had to put it in a percentage, I'd say that maybe out of the four months I've played so far that there's like 10-15% new stuff, if even that. I'm sure that'll change once I hit January and February, but at the moment it's mostly the same. The story is EXACTLY the same, so even with the new additions, you're still going through the same things you've seen before.

ReCkLeSs_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By ReCkLeSs_X

My first time going through P4G was a few days ago (75 total hours). As far as I know, the game brings a bunch of new content. The vita is a very capable machine and if you have PS+ it's an amazing device.

Also, P3P is playable on the vita too! Portable consoles are perfect for this game.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: So, honestly, it seems like it's not worth it. Maybe I'll pick up the Vita and P4G when P5 comes out, but as of now, there's not many great games out or coming down the pipeline that interest me enough to justify buying the Vita. Might as well take that money and buy another R9 280x.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story/setting/social link stuff is amazing. The turn based jrpg stuff is serviceable, but not the best part of the game. From what I've played of it it's great. If JRPG's are something you are really fond of then I would say it's worth buying a vita for it. To me it wouldn't have been enough because Im not the biggest fan of turn based RPG's, but there were a lot of other games on the platform that interested me.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reckless_x: I've already played and beat P3P 100% as well.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Just got a vita and waiting for P4G to come in now, I love it and if you got PS+ you get free games too so not a bad deal. But really to spend that much money for just one game don't do it, seriously. Once you're done you'll regret it. Unless there are other games that look interesting to you that is coming out soon or if you want to play some indie games that you haven't played (Hotline Miami, Spelunky, etc).

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: What do you mean by that? The new stuff or just in general?

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzie: I've played just about every PC indie game that is coming to Vita or already on Vita.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzie: I've played just about every PC indie game that is coming to Vita or already on Vita.

Then I wouldn't do it till later till more games come out. I did it cause I already have PS+ and PS4 now so I figured why not go knee deep with this Sony thing.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: What do you mean by that? The new stuff or just in general?

I said a bunch of things in my comment, you have to clarify what you're referring to.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. You should buy it for Chie who is in P4G. The rest of the game is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzie: Yeah, that's probably what I would do if I had the Vita or PS4 (I got the Xbone cause Halo 5 and Killer Instinct).

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: I mean, are you saying all the new story and such is great, or the story of Persona 4 in general is great?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RonGalaxy

@ponchopowerphd said:

@naru_joe93: I mean, are you saying all the new story and such is great, or the story of Persona 4 in general is great?

Im saying the story in general is great. The setting naturally lends itself to some great stories, the dialogue is top notch and there are a lot of memorable characters.

PonchoPowerPhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PonchoPowerPhD

@naru_joe93: Oh, yes, I know, I played through Persona 4 on the PS2 and got 100% completion.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: At face value Teddie is pretty much an annoying mascot character, but I found Wittenburg's Teddie to bring just enough endearing qualities and mannerisms to his character that he came off as more lovable than annoying. (Although the writing was part of it too.) Riegel's Teddie doesn't quite accomplish that for me and falls more on the annoying side of the spectrum.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By rorie

I'd vote no. I played around five-six hours and didn't find anything compelling me to keep playing. Didn't really like the writing, characters, mechanics, or systems. I dunno, I heard so many amazing things about this game, but nothing about it really clicked for me.

I'm sure it blossoms if you spend fifty hours in it, but I just don't have that kind of time to invest anymore.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zeik

@rorie: He already played and loved the original. He's really just asking whether the upgrades are worth it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TruthTellah

You're breaking my heart, Rorie...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/karepics17/IIIS14.jpg

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@zeik said:

@rorie: He already played and loved the original. He's really just asking whether the upgrades are worth it.

Haha, apparently Rorie doesn't even have enough time to invest in reading the OP of threads. :P

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NegativeCero

It's already been sufficiently discussed, but I'll just throw in my two cents that almost no game is worth buying a piece of hardware for. Personally I got my Vita to play Golden, but I was excited to play other things like Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Crown, but also including the backlog of PSP and PS1 games which made it a way better value.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@yummylee said:
    @zeik said:

Haha, apparently Rorie doesn't even have enough time to invest in reading the OP of threads. :P

Obviously enough! Sorry, didn't mean to threadshit in that case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's all this talk about other games on the PersonaStation? I...I just don't understand

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

@random45 said:

two new social links - Marie and Adachi

Having recently bought a Vita, hearing about this Adachi social link nonsense + trophies might actually sway me to buy it. I did like 3 runs of P4; think I saw as much of that game as I could.

Don't know if I'd want to play it normally again though. Think it would be more interesting to jump in while using a day-by-day walk-through to almost clinically/academically 100% the game (get all items, do all quests, max all social links, max all stats, see all the new content).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.