Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Should I play this?

asantosbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey, I never really played a JRPG until recently. But this year I decided to give it a try and played Ni No Kuni and really loved it. I also got Valkyria Chronicles, but havent finished it yet, but I am enjoying the strategic elements of it.

I own a Vita and I wonder if I should get Persona 4. I know next to nothing about the game, and I haven't played any of the previous game in the series, so would I be completely lost story wise, is this more a Story driven or Combat Driven game? So the question is, what should I expect, or not from it?

Thanks

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Persona 4 is one of my favorite games, I played it last summer without playing any of the other Persona games and loved it. You don't need to play any of the other ones since they each are their own story like a Final fantasy game. And I think it is more story driven, you will spend a lot of time in dungeons but most of it is story (which is good cause the story is good and it is a long game, took me 90 hours). You should absolutely play it!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

You don't need to have played any previous Persona games to get into any of them. I'd say that the game is roughly 50% story & character development while the other 50% is combat related activities. If you have a Vita then this is probably the only game you'll need for a long time. Persona 4 is in my top 5 of all time and I'm hoping to get a Vita soon so I can try out The Golden.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My foolproof check list on if you should play Persona 4: Godlen

Do you own a Vita? If yes, go get the game NOW.

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By PK_Koopa

P4G is the best game to get into the Persona series.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

If you have a Vita then Persona 4 Golden is pretty much the only must-have game at this point.

I also just played it this year and it took right around 80 hours for the first time through and then another 50 for NG+.
    Basically what @oscar__explosionsaid.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you don't have a Vita get one for it now or if you can't then play the ps2-version. Just find some way to play it, that's what I did.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I was under the impression that this game is pretty much the only reason anybody has purchased a Vita.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yes

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @pk_koopa said:

P4G is the best game to get into the Persona series.

Pretty much. After that, Persona 3 go!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MezZa

Yes. It's easily one of my favorite jrpgs (tied for first place with Persona 3, go figure). You don't need to know anything about the previous games. The stories of Persona 3 and Persona 4 don't connect with each other until Persona 4 Arena. The game is fairly half and half as far as the combat and story goes. It actually noticeably splits the two up. Some days you'll be doing mostly dungeon related stuff to complete an objective before a specific deadline, and others you'll be social linking and hanging out with the main characters buddies to progress the story. While the combat and persona fusing related stuff can be addictively fun for some people, the story is the main shining point imo. The characters are amazing and are easy to get attached to by the end of the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yes. Bear in mind that Persona 4 is heavy on story and characters. As in, literally half the game involves your interactions with others.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, it is the best JRPG I've ever played and I used to play a ton of them back in the SNES-PS1-PS2 days. The combat actually stays interesting, which is more than I can say for most games in the genre. I burned out on Ni No Kuni's combat after about 15 hours, for example. Persona is really good about breaking up the combat with story sections and you can do the dungeons over a fairly long period of time if you want. The story is also really engaging; you really connect with the characters.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Morrow

Great story and unique characters. I'd say give it a try :)

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, this game is awesome, I beat it a couple weeks ago.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Nictel

Persona 4: YES.

Hey, I never really played a JRPG until recently. But this year I decided to give it a try and played Ni No Kuni and really loved it. I also got Valkyria Chronicles, but havent finished it yet, but I am enjoying the strategic elements of it.

I own a Vita and I wonder if I should get Persona 4. I know next to nothing about the game, and I haven't played any of the previous game in the series, so would I be completely lost story wise, is this more a Story driven or Combat Driven game? So the question is, what should I expect, or not from it?

Thanks

Persona 4 is completely separate from other Persona games, so not having played those doesn't matter.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah go for it!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh people in the GB forums asking if they should play Persona 4. It's like you don't know where you are. It's like you don't know that the most amazing thing ever created in the face of this planet is sitting right here on Giant Bomb and it involves Persona 4. Go forth my child and experience the Nirvana.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you like good games? If so, then yes.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

NO....

Yes...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yes.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Red

Yes. Absolutely. Just know going in that it's a time investment, and a rather steep learning curve. But if you've got the time and can put in the effort, you will find a lifelong friend. For life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.