The new fanservice is gross.

#151 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@david3cm said:

I am surprised by how ok the people on this message board are with the sexualization of underage girls. Personally i find this pretty gross.

Video games dude.

#152 Posted by Hunter5024 (5180 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

All this hub bub reminds me I bought P3FES on PSN and have never touched it. I should get to that....then again I have about a dozen JRPG's on PS3 that I have yet to touch.

Touch that one first.

#153 Posted by golguin (3672 posts) -

@david3cm said:

I am surprised by how ok the people on this message board are with the sexualization of underage girls. Personally i find this pretty gross.

So you're pretty grossed out by media in general then? That's essentially everything that features high school girls 17 and under.

#154 Posted by Bocam (3563 posts) -

Has anyone pointed out that the male characters have maid outfits as well?

@Term: I don't have a problem with it. I just think Naoto saying lines like "It is possible that, I want you decide everything for me. To dye these feelings of mine with your color. It's not fair, stealing my heart alone... you might as well take my everything." is weird

@mutha3: I aim to please

#155 Posted by Interfect (965 posts) -

Let these ladies grow up a bit and I might be a little more comfortable with this.

#156 Posted by Hilikus (279 posts) -

Not enough Nanako

#157 Posted by Karmosin (199 posts) -

@Term said:

@Bocam: So were the lover's route Rank 10's and the Christmas event. It's nothing new. (Actually, I don't remember how sexual the Rank 10's were in P4, but they were for sure in P3)

Only done Chies, but it was pretty much just a hug (if you decided to hug her), nothing much more implied from what I understand. The christmas event implied that she stayed the night though, but yeah, it's pretty much up to the player to interpret what happened. Don't know what they've added in P4G and if it brings something good to the romance or not. Guess I'll have to look it up.

#158 Edited by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@golguin said:

@david3cm said:

I am surprised by how ok the people on this message board are with the sexualization of underage girls. Personally i find this pretty gross.

So you're pretty grossed out by media in general then? That's essentially everything that features high school girls 17 and under.

Can't say I've ever seen a 16 year old wearing a thong with her asscrack bulging out in media, outside of anime and jrpgs.  Movies, cartoons, comics, tv-shows etc. about teens generally tend to lack the obligatory bathhouse episodes with a leery camera making sure we catch bits of sideboob as well.
 
@Bocam said:

Has anyone pointed out that the male characters have maid outfits as well?


Hahaha, what? Do you mean maid-maid(if y'know what I'm saying) or butler outfits?
#159 Posted by Term (83 posts) -

@Bocam: Right, I'm just saying that I don't find it particularly out of place considering what was in the game already? I don't know, everyone has their own interpretations of the characters, so whenever you add more to a finished work you're bound to offend someone.

#160 Edited by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

And the huge increase in waifu scenes and creepy scenes where the girls are naked for no reason.

Well, they ARE in a bathhouse, so there actually is a reason for them to be naked. I'd rather argue there's no reason for the scenes themselves /semantics police :P

@Hunter5024 said:

Touch that one first.

That's what she said. (Chie said?)

#161 Edited by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
edit: eh, I'm bored of this discussion.
 

Have some sweet Soejima art
#162 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

God damn it video games.

#163 Posted by Hunter5024 (5180 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I've exposed myself

Gross.

#164 Posted by TooWalrus (12985 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@TooWalrus said:

I've exposed myself

Gross.

Don't judge me.

#165 Posted by Bocam (3563 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

Hahaha, what? Do you mean maid-maid(if y'know what I'm saying) or butler outfits?

Never mind what I said. Turns out those were fake. They do have butler outfits though.

#166 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

I could have swore these were video game characters and not actual girls. Judging by the comments in this thread I guess I was wrong.

#167 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I could have swore these were video game characters and not actual girls. Judging by the comments in this thread I guess I was wrong.
#168 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

@JasonR86: Yeah, just because it is a video game doesn't make it ok. This is the reason why people who don't play video games believe they are for sexually frustrated teenage boys.

#169 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@Laurentech said:

If there isn't Dojima bending Adachi over a desk and letting him have it, then I'm not interested.

Pfffffttttft. Adachi would totally be on top.

surely there has to be a doujin of this right

YO HOOK US UP

Google "[OSOVA] With [ENG] [Yaoi]" It's the only English Dojima/Adachi doujin I could find

I came, I saw, I came.

You guys rock. <3

#170 Posted by themangalist (1678 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

This is made more frustrating when I realize that most of the original P4 team supposedly have practically nothing to do with this stuff since they're busy with Persona 5, so this is contrary to the team's original vision.

You should be glad that the Persona 4 team had nothing to do with all this bs.

#171 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19171 posts) -

@themangalist said:

You should be glad that the Persona 4 team had nothing to do with all this bs.

Haha, actually, that's a great way to see things.

#172 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@david3cm said:

@JasonR86: Yeah, just because it is a video game doesn't make it ok. This is the reason why people who don't play video games believe they are for sexually frustrated teenage boys.

Is it?

#173 Posted by ervonymous (1231 posts) -

: Couldn't help but notice you forgot someone.

#174 Posted by TooWalrus (12985 posts) -

@ervonymous: ...thank you.

#175 Posted by Term (83 posts) -

@david3cm: You can make the same argument against violence in video games.

#176 Edited by believer258 (11058 posts) -

This has quickly become the longest thread of people utterly apathetic (yet still strangely on topic) towards something potentially controversial I've seen. It's like every single person is expecting to see a riot but because everyone is expecting a riot, no one is actually starting it and everyone's just standing around. Thinking about playing Persona 4 again.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@themangalist said:

You should be glad that the Persona 4 team had nothing to do with all this bs.

Haha, actually, that's a great way to see things.

It's not High School of the Dead or (worse) Elfen Lied. That might be an even better way of seeing things.

#177 Edited by mutha3 (4980 posts) -
@Laurentech said:

@Bocam said:

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

@mutha3 said:

@Laurentech said:

If there isn't Dojima bending Adachi over a desk and letting him have it, then I'm not interested.

Pfffffttttft. Adachi would totally be on top.

surely there has to be a doujin of this right

YO @Bocam HOOK US UP

Google "[OSOVA] With [ENG] [Yaoi]" It's the only English Dojima/Adachi doujin I could find

I came, I saw, I came.

You guys rock. <3

So.......
 
who was on top? I'm too lazy to look up it for myself!
#178 Posted by golguin (3672 posts) -

@believer258 said:

This has quickly become the longest thread of people utterly apathetic (yet still strangely on topic) towards something potentially controversial I've seen. It's like every single person is expecting to see a riot but because everyone is expecting a riot, no one is actually starting it and everyone's just standing around. Thinking about playing Persona 4 again.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@themangalist said:

You should be glad that the Persona 4 team had nothing to do with all this bs.

Haha, actually, that's a great way to see things.

It's not High School of the Dead or (worse) Elfen Lied. That might be an even better way of seeing things.

You mean the rape stuff?

#179 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -

I've never played P3 FES or vanilla P3, there're skimpy outfits in P3P. So it's not that big of a deal.

Online
#180 Edited by golguin (3672 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@golguin said:

@david3cm said:

I am surprised by how ok the people on this message board are with the sexualization of underage girls. Personally i find this pretty gross.

So you're pretty grossed out by media in general then? That's essentially everything that features high school girls 17 and under.

Can't say I've ever seen a 16 year old wearing a thong with her asscrack bulging out in media, outside of anime and jrpgs. Movies, cartoons, comics, tv-shows etc. about teens generally tend to lack the obligatory bathhouse episodes with a leery camera making sure we catch bits of sideboob as well.

So you've never seen or heard of R rated high school/teenage/horror/slasher movies before?

EDIT: I'm not even throwing in the garbage tv like the Teenage Mom stuff.

#181 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I always think things like that are an issue, so it's not new to me, and I'm not surprised. Those skimpy outfits incredibly depressing...though, it makes me a little happier that I don't have a Vita so I can't play the game anyway...but man, those suits are BOSS.

#182 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -

As opposed to the old fan service?

#183 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19171 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

As opposed to the old fan service?

Explained in the OP. Everyone knows that Persona 4 also had fanservice.

#184 Posted by believer258 (11058 posts) -

@golguin said:

@believer258 said:

This has quickly become the longest thread of people utterly apathetic (yet still strangely on topic) towards something potentially controversial I've seen. It's like every single person is expecting to see a riot but because everyone is expecting a riot, no one is actually starting it and everyone's just standing around. Thinking about playing Persona 4 again.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@themangalist said:

You should be glad that the Persona 4 team had nothing to do with all this bs.

Haha, actually, that's a great way to see things.

It's not High School of the Dead or (worse) Elfen Lied. That might be an even better way of seeing things.

You mean the rape stuff?

No, I mean the constant horrible fanservice all over both shows. I guess you could make an argument for most of Elfen Lied's being just naked girls and not fanservice, but I couldn't buy that at all.

@golguin said:

@mutha3 said:

@golguin said:

@david3cm said:

I am surprised by how ok the people on this message board are with the sexualization of underage girls. Personally i find this pretty gross.

So you're pretty grossed out by media in general then? That's essentially everything that features high school girls 17 and under.

Can't say I've ever seen a 16 year old wearing a thong with her asscrack bulging out in media, outside of anime and jrpgs. Movies, cartoons, comics, tv-shows etc. about teens generally tend to lack the obligatory bathhouse episodes with a leery camera making sure we catch bits of sideboob as well.

So you've never seen or heard of R rated high school/teenage/horror/slasher movies before?

EDIT: I'm not even throwing in the garbage tv like the Teenage Mom stuff.

Those actors have to be over 18 in order to do that stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Still, I'm going to give more leeway to an animated depiction of naked 16 year olds covered up (well, in a sense) by steam as opposed to real ones. I just don't find myself bothered much by this when something like Boku no Pico exists and worse. Yeah, it's bad taste, but whatever. It's anime. This is somewhat tame.

#185 Edited by mlarrabee (2761 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

If you think this is gross, you're a hilarious prude. I'd also be surprised if the original P4 creative staff didn't have some sort of sign-off on the new content.

Besides that, not all of the additional costumes are that skimpy.

I don't think disliking the sexualization of pre-adolescent/vaguely post-adolescent girls should label one a "hilarious prude." I think it quite normal and proper.

Yes, the girls in Persona are supposed to be in high school (still "jail-bait" for a good many of Persona's player base). The girls in those SHMUPS are also supposed to be of legal age. "This one's nineteen." *cough* Anything goes if you draw or render it.

A few weeks ago Patrick linked to an excellent article detailing how and why Americans view youthful appearance as sexually appealing while the Japanese find youthful personalities more attractive. For the East, those girls are acting much younger than their supposed age; for the West, they appear to actually be very young. Censors in Australia recently attempted to ban pornography involving women with a bosom size of "A" or smaller for the same reason: the (actual or perceived) sexualization of pre-pubescent girls.

EDIT: http://www.1up.com/features/reality-check-truth-perverted-japanese

#186 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

@mutha3: Dojima. But it was intimate!

#187 Posted by DarthOrange (3498 posts) -
@mlarrabee said:

@Hailinel said:

If you think this is gross, you're a hilarious prude. I'd also be surprised if the original P4 creative staff didn't have some sort of sign-off on the new content.

Besides that, not all of the additional costumes are that skimpy.

I don't think disliking the sexualization of pre-adolescent/vaguely post-adolescent girls should label one a "hilarious prude." I think it quite normal and proper.

Yes, the girls in Persona are supposed to be in high school (still "jail-bait" for a good many of Persona's player base). The girls in those SHMUPS are also supposed to be of legal age. "This one's nineteen." *cough* Anything goes if you draw or render it.

A few weeks ago Patrick linked to an excellent article detailing how and why Americans view youthful appearance as sexually appealing while the Japanese find youthful personalities more attractive. For the East, those girls are acting much younger than their supposed age; for the West, they appear to actually be very young. Censors in Australia recently attempted to ban pornography involving women with a bosom size of "A" or smaller for the same reason: the (actual or perceived) sexualization of pre-pubescent girls.

Really? When? Can you get me that link?  
 
The reason some people like seeing semi-nude kids is because they are pedophiles, plain and simple. If games like this keep them from being full on child molesters then I guess they are a good thing? 
 
LA Times had a pretty interesting article on this topic, here is the link if anyone wants to check it out: 
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-sapolsky-brain-and-behavior-20120715,0,5186378.story
#188 Posted by mlarrabee (2761 posts) -
#189 Posted by Animasta (14463 posts) -

@Laurentech said:

@mutha3: Dojima. But it was intimate!

yeah it was pretty good

#190 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

The older I get the less I can put up with this crap. This serves no one and degrades the characters. Who was looking for this? Who really thought the most interesting part of Chie was her T&A? It's not really that hard to get a girlfriend come on.

I know it's common in video games but for a game that put so much emphasis on developing characters why would they have costumes the character would never wear.

#191 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

The whole reason I put the maid/high-cut armors on the girls in P3 was to laugh at their reactions and then switch out to something better. Because I'm the protagonist and if I say put on a french maid costume you'll put on the costume.

"I had to scrub a disgusting public bathroom and water some guy's plants and it's actually fairly decent armor so yeah I want you to wear it. Don't give me that look, I don't even like maids. No, I did not plan to dress as a sword-wielding butler and wade into the thick of shadows backed up by three magic maids. Junpei's camera isn't even on."

Joking aside, I don't see what to get all up in arms about. They're just stupid costumes I'll try out to laugh about then ditch. They're not even real armors, just skins, so I wouldn't even keep them for their armor rating like I did the maid armors in P3. Those suits look stylin' though.

Regarding the bathhouse scene, I don't even care. It's a scene, there's steam. Whatever. If you're outraged by an inconsequential two minute scene out of a hundred hour game then nothing I could say would really help I expect.

#192 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

With all this new fan service, I would've at least expected a Dojima romance option. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for this game.

#193 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

@UncleClassy said:

With all this new fan service, I would've at least expected a Dojima romance option. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for this game.

Choose "surprise me" when he asks how you like your hot coffee after convincing him to ditch the kid.

#194 Posted by envane (1156 posts) -

wake up , this "fanservice" is tame and reserved for japan , at least atlus still has SOME taste , if this was being released by NIS nobody would be complaining because the franchise would have been filled with fanservice and "loli" characters from the beginning , and the people who would even consider playing it would have been a different demographic altogether.

the alarmist attitude that this fanservice is somehow peadophilia is pretty offensive too , sure its creepy , but youre implying much darker things than the blatant surface level titillation is trying to achieve .. again look at other games coming from japan and its easy to see that this bonus fanservice hardly crosses the line into the majority of underage girl themed panty shot "moe" characters .. hyper dimension neputina features revealing swimsuit dlc even for their PRETEEN characters , not to mention the overall "school swimsuit" fetish that seems to prevail it ..

PLUS , those swimsuits are fucking stupid looking , who the fuck is going to seriously use that shit.

also spellcheck wants to change neptunia into Rasputin , Hyper Dimension Rasputin would be so SWEET

#195 Posted by Animasta (14463 posts) -

@UncleClassy said:

With all this new fan service, I would've at least expected a Dojima romance option. Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for this game.

oh come on they didn't even include a kanji romance

I am still disappointed by this

#196 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

It's clearly inappropriate.

#197 Posted by JJOR64 (18787 posts) -

Seems fine to me.

#Kappa

#198 Posted by kindgineer (2486 posts) -

Fanservice is always gross. This stuff is hardly the horrible crap Japan sees on a daily basis, though. I could go into a rant about it, but [insert bullshit about different culture non-sense excuses].

#199 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: You should read this article if you havent. http://www.1up.com/features/reality-check-truth-perverted-japanese

#200 Posted by Sorasha (87 posts) -

More steam than a censored Queen's Blade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.