To be or not to be.... a guy that follow a guide.

#1 Edited by Darklight (207 posts) -

Hey Persona 4 duder, I started playing the game yesterday and so far I'm loving it. I did play the ps2 one (about 40 hours of it) and watched some of the endurance run but stopped middle way because I did not want to ruin the story if I decided to start playing it again (even tho now I know the killer because there's a lot of picture of him running on the world wide web which made me guess who it was... oh well :/).

Anyway, to the point of this post. I find myself struggling or hesitating with some choice I make (like do I do X or Y Activity, do I fuse X and Y Persona, what should be my priority right now, etc) and I was wondering how many of you guys are doing / did a blind playthrough? There's an online help now with the top 5 activity for the day but I'm wondering if it's enough.

Even tho I played a good part of Persona 4 I realize that I'm still pretty much clueless of what I should do to progress with less trouble or how to prepare myself for the next boss without using a guide. To give an example, the Yukiko boss fight: I had in my persona Orobas because I thought that Dekaja could help againts elemental protection (like Ice resistance) but found out pretty quickly that it does not work againts it. Also did not have a way to cure silence which was a problem at some point. I had 2 persona with Bufu because I did remember that it was her weakness. I won the fight but I feel that it could have been easier.

So in this example, how do you know how to prepare for the fight without looking for guide? Or maybe I have the wrong approach and should go with a trial and error style?

So in short: Do you guys think a guide is a must to play this game (and if so, any suggestion on some good guide?) or is the best way to enjoy it is to play in trial/error?

#2 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

Uh no, you absolutely don't need a guide for this game at all. I only ever got like 3 Social Links to max affinity on my first playthrough because I focused on the traits (courage etc), only had like one or two of the "bad ass" personas, and had absolutely no problem beating it. Unless you are trying to do some perfect max all social links in one go sort of thing (which you don't need to) there is no need for a guide.

#3 Posted by soul101 (104 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

Uh no, you absolutely don't need a guide for this game at all. I only ever got like 3 Social Links to max affinity on my first playthrough because I focused on the traits (courage etc), only had like one or two of the "bad ass" personas, and had absolutely no problem beating it. Unless you are trying to do some perfect max all social links in one go sort of thing (which you don't need to) there is no need for a guide.

What he said..... however, I did use a guide for the daily questions/exams... I went to school to go to school, I play video games to hit on Chie!

#4 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

Doing it without a guide your first time through is definitely a lot more fun. That was the main difference between my P3FES and P4 playthroughs. I liked P3 but using a max social link guide from the very beginning was sorta stressful when I needed to make sure I did everything exactly right or else I was screwed. My first time through P4 I managed to max out the romance and investigation S links and nothing else but I was definitely calmer in regards to how I spent my time.

In regards to bosses and such, I feel like struggling through and barely making it to the end is definitely the best way to do it. I remember fighting the final boss of P3 underleveled and gambling the hour long fight on one final normal attack when my party was entirely charmed and the exhilaration of beating it with that was well worth it. The best way to prepare for a boss for me is to just have a good assortment of personas that can cover a spread of opponents.

#5 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

@soul101: Oh you pansy! If you would just stop napping and pay attention in class you would know all the answers! Kid's these days I swear, only interested in karate, video games, and eating steak!

#6 Posted by soul101 (104 posts) -

@Karkarov: Hey man, that meat dimension ain't gonna find itself. Not to mention, Yosuke is all like "dude, help me out I'm an idiot" I can't deal with that....too much stress.

#7 Posted by MiniPato (2657 posts) -

You don't need a guide because it is impossible to get everything on your first run through. Going through the game once is enough to let you know how the game's schedule works and then you'll be able to work on trying to max out as much stuff as possible in new game plus.

#8 Posted by Heltom92 (694 posts) -

I feel like using a guide should be something you do on a second play through. Using a guide to decide every little thing you do seems like it would ruin the fun of the game.

#9 Edited by Darklight (207 posts) -

: Yeah, those quiz, those damn quiz! It went pretty fast from "Oh my god I'm a genius!" to "... ok I'm stupid what's the the answer google.". Did not eat enough rainy day beef bowls at school I guess.

I'll keep playing without guide and see where it goes. I was kinda afrait that the game would play me a: "Hey, remember the choice you made like... 20 hrs ago...? No? Well that was a bad move and now you're stuck here since you don't have the right skill set...sucka!" kind of bad joke.

... Man do I love quotation mark or what.

#10 Posted by TehPickle (386 posts) -

The Yukiko boss is actually one of the hardest in the game, certainly considering how early on in the game it appears. I wouldn't let that tempt you into potentially stripping a great deal of the games fun for something you've already beaten.

Just play the game and dont worry about the details. You'll have a better experience I'm sure.

#11 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2157 posts) -

School answer and persona fusion guides are the only two you should use.

#12 Posted by wchigo (524 posts) -

I'd like to think I did fairly well on my initial playthrough of P4 back on the PS2. As with others who have posted, I used a guide for all the school answers and to be sure I didn't screw up getting the True Ending; I didn't even use a Persona Fusion guide and just fused whatever I could that looked like it could be useful.

In terms of S. Links, I managed to get most of the Investigation Team (Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Rise) and maybe two or three others. Now that I think about it I probably only got like half of the total S. Links done but I still felt pretty good about what I was able to do based on the fact I had to balance it with raising my social attributes. I am a bit sad about not getting max rank with the Hierophant and Justice S. Links the first time around though... *sad face*

@MiniPato said:

You don't need a guide because it is impossible to get everything on your first run through. Going through the game once is enough to let you know how the game's schedule works and then you'll be able to work on trying to max out as much stuff as possible in new game plus.

That's incorrect. It is possible to max everything on the first playthrough, but that will restrict one's daily options to a large degree. I did this in P3P with the help of a guide after I had already played through P3FES once the regular way, just doing whatever I wanted. From what I've heard, there's more leeway for you to max everything in one run in P4 compared to P3 but I would not recommend anyone do that UNLESS you don't want to play the game multiple times and you HAVE TO see all the S. Links in the game to their completion.

If you're referring to dialogue options as well, then that's a different story. Since there are some early game dialogue options that you cannot choose based on your Courage (or lack thereof) stat, of course you wouldn't be able to see everything your first time through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.