Was planed for the PSP

#1 Posted by metalsnakezero (2309 posts) -

It was the main reason why they wasn't planning to do a Portable version in the first place but with the power of the vita they now can do a 3D world. Also No female protagonist.
 
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/persona-4-the-golden-was-originally-planned-for-psp/

#2 Posted by PenguinDust (12551 posts) -

Aw, no fem-Charlie?  Ah well, it still might be interesting to see the changes made and I'll be buying a Vita for JRPGs anyway. 

#3 Posted by Beforet (2927 posts) -

No lady no sale!

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

@PenguinDust: You're welcome.

#5 Edited by PenguinDust (12551 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton:  Yeah, fan art like that has been around for a while.  It's similar to the teenage Nanako stuff circulating.   Someone once gender swapped the entire P3 group.
#6 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

Not really sure I want to buy this without a female protagonist path. Need more details on exactly what they're adding :/

#7 Edited by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@Cathryn: Aye, no FeMC is disappointing but I guess it was a little too much to ask after they spoiled us with fan-service from P3P. But in case you missed it, here's some copy-pasta of what's new in P4: The Golden; 
 

The game will have:

  • 3G, Wi-Fi support.
  • A new character named Marie, voiced by Kana Hanazawa. She’s a “mysterious girl” who appears before the main characters.
  • If you’re about to die in a dungeon, you can send an SOS to other players. Famitsu did not entirely detail this feature.
  • New event scenes.
  • New anime movie scenes.
  • 1.5 times the voice-overs of the PS2 version.
  • New Personas.
  • New character outfits.
  • An element highly requested by fans.
Not so sure what that last one will be since P4 felt pretty complete to me...also, here's some juicy screenshots. Furthermore, the presentation will be the same as the original instead of the point and click interface of P3P.
#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Buying this as soon as it comes out. Glad they are using the Vita's power to make everything Persona 4 was and more.

#9 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

@eroticfishcake: Yeah, saw the list. It looks interesting enough, but unless that element highly requested by fans is a New Game + that allows me to keep the protagonist's level, I'm not all that interested. I liked Persona 4, but I'm not as into it as I am into P3, so the bonus content would have to be pretty substantial (ie a female protagonist) or give me something I really wanted from P4 in the first place (ie make it easier for me to max out all the S.links and see everything by keeping my player level on a second playthrough) for me to want to buy it all over again.

I'm just not sure that some outfits and a few new cutscenes are what's going to make me want to buy and play this game again.

#10 Edited by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@Cathryn: Yeah I feel you. I really like P3P since FeMC was a real big draw for me. I'd like to get this too but no FeMC and shelling out more cash to get a Vita is really unappealing. Then again, it won't be out in Japan until 2012 so there might be better games to get a Vita for. Still, bummer. 
 
Edit: I just noticed this in one of the screenshots. 
GOD DAMMIT HOW MANY HOOKS DO YOU HAVE?! 
#11 Posted by lord_canti (1517 posts) -

dam no official rule 63 i am disappoint

#12 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Sold me on the Vita just like P3P sold me on the PSP. Happy that they're able to keep the 3D worlds and stuff.

#13 Posted by metalsnakezero (2309 posts) -
 You all know what comes next
Chinese outfit + Chie = awesome
 Liking the new girl
 Will Rise take part in battle?
#14 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

So they've pretty much confirmed you can change character outfits. That's kind nifty. I'd love if the new girl was a full party member, but another social link would be fine. I don't know if Rise will be a full party member either but I'd be down with that.

#15 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: She doesn't have an icon still. Most likely will have the same role.

#16 Posted by FateOfNever (1848 posts) -

It's looking good, and interesting, but I can't help but still say no due to it being on the Vita. Heck, even if it was on the PSP I'd still say no. I don't know if Atlus signed some kind of deal with Sony to put all of the Persona games out on the Sony handhelds again and only on the Sony handhelds, but I really dislike it. It seems like so much work to put into new versions of the games that so few people will see as a result. At least P4 will have the benefit of coming out early in the life of the Vita, unlike 1-3 which have pretty much just arrived for the death of the PSP, but still. Maybe some day I'll break down and buy it, but, I've never really enjoyed playing games like these on handhelds. Oh well.

#17 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

@eroticfishcake: Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, though you never know, that much-requested element they're not revealing may be something that sells it for you. Hell, it may even sell me. At present, though, I'm going to remain just slightly skeptical. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Vita anyway, even though I'm not going to be super excited to spend the money :/

#18 Posted by metalsnakezero (2309 posts) -
@Dany said:

@metalsnakezero: She doesn't have an icon still. Most likely will have the same role.

Could be some new support abilities besides just telling the weakness of enemies. 
#19 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I want to see some Naoto being touched.

Online
#20 Edited by dagas (2864 posts) -

The female perspective is pretty much the only thing that makes P3P a fresh experience. I don't see playing through P4 again as the same dude if they just add a couple of new things. Also, the Vita is pretty much a portable PS3, how will they take advantage of all that power with a port of a PS2 game? And that excuse that the PSP isn't capable of a true port of a Persona game seems rubbish. Look at how many games there are on the PSP that should be more demanding than Persona 3/4.

It's still nice for new players to get into the series, but it's not a big enough reason for me to get a Vita.

#21 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:

It's looking good, and interesting, but I can't help but still say no due to it being on the Vita. Heck, even if it was on the PSP I'd still say no. I don't know if Atlus signed some kind of deal with Sony to put all of the Persona games out on the Sony handhelds again and only on the Sony handhelds, but I really dislike it. It seems like so much work to put into new versions of the games that so few people will see as a result. At least P4 will have the benefit of coming out early in the life of the Vita, unlike 1-3 which have pretty much just arrived for the death of the PSP, but still. Maybe some day I'll break down and buy it, but, I've never really enjoyed playing games like these on handhelds. Oh well.


What's not to like i can't see why you would have a problem with this because i find it helps atlus builds it fan-base without risking a make or break  game. I think persona has a cult following that has been growing more and more heck even now thanks to giantbomb i'm sure it got some more fans. In saying that i'm sure there are some people who still have not played a persona game yet and this is a great jumping on point. I'm sure this will set them up for whenever they are ready to get persona 5 on track  and to have a fan-base to cover their budget to make that game and be a success. 
 
Also i think they are being vey tasteful and not making  more then one port or remake. because they could have made a crappy port for the psp and then make a brand new awesome port for the vita too.
#22 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

I hope the new element highly requested by friends is not just having the characters reflect the items equipped but also being able to re-roll goddamn fusions.

#23 Posted by FateOfNever (1848 posts) -

@phantomzxro said:

@FateOfNever said:

It's looking good, and interesting, but I can't help but still say no due to it being on the Vita. Heck, even if it was on the PSP I'd still say no. I don't know if Atlus signed some kind of deal with Sony to put all of the Persona games out on the Sony handhelds again and only on the Sony handhelds, but I really dislike it. It seems like so much work to put into new versions of the games that so few people will see as a result. At least P4 will have the benefit of coming out early in the life of the Vita, unlike 1-3 which have pretty much just arrived for the death of the PSP, but still. Maybe some day I'll break down and buy it, but, I've never really enjoyed playing games like these on handhelds. Oh well.

What's not to like i can't see why you would have a problem with this because i find it helps atlus builds it fan-base without risking a make or break game. I think persona has a cult following that has been growing more and more heck even now thanks to giantbomb i'm sure it got some more fans. In saying that i'm sure there are some people who still have not played a persona game yet and this is a great jumping on point. I'm sure this will set them up for whenever they are ready to get persona 5 on track and to have a fan-base to cover their budget to make that game and be a success. Also i think they are being vey tasteful and not making more then one port or remake. because they could have made a crappy port for the psp and then make a brand new awesome port for the vita too.

Or, they could have made the ports the exact same way they did, and then also made them available, say, on the PSN PS3 store, so that one could then also play the game in the comfort of their living room on a normal television OR on their handheld. It would be the same enhanced version of the game, it would still only be available to Sony, but you increase not only who can play the game (PS3 owners as well as PSP owners, or in the coming case of P4, Vita owners), but you also increase the portion of people that might want to play it, because there are a lot of people that don't enjoy playing full blown, time consuming games on handhelds because it's an inferior experience in the set up.

Would I rather a) be sitting in a comfy spot in my house, head up, looking at my nice big t.v. getting to enjoy all of the sounds of the game as they are, OR, would I rather b) be sitting in a comfy spot in my house, head cranked downwards, looking at a tiny screen, with the sound barely audible because it might be distracting to other people that are trying to watch things on the big t.v. and I don't want to wear headphones because then I can't hear people trying to talk to me? You could try to say "yeah, but you can take it on the go instead!" which may work fine for some place like, say, Japan, but honestly there is no time when I am traveling in my daily life where I have the time to start up and play a 100 hour long RPG and make any meaningful progress in it, and for an RPG, no meaningful progress means a lack of connection to the game and a lack of investment in the game, and those things mean I don't finish the game, regardless of how good it might be.

To be clear, in case it got lost somewhere in there, I am NOT saying that the Persona enhanced versions shouldn't be on the PSP/Vita at all. What I am saying, is why limit them to ONLY the PSP/Vita? The only reason to do it would be because Sony paid them for such in an attempt to enhance ONLY their PSP/Vita sales/demographic, but then you fall into the pit of - there's a lot of people that live in places outside of Japan where they don't want full blown games like this on handhelds because handhelds are more of an inconvenience in play style than what they're worth, regardless of how good the game might be, especially when those games aren't ones you can just pick up, play for a few minutes, and set it back down.

#24 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:

@phantomzxro said:

@FateOfNever said:

It's looking good, and interesting, but I can't help but still say no due to it being on the Vita. Heck, even if it was on the PSP I'd still say no. I don't know if Atlus signed some kind of deal with Sony to put all of the Persona games out on the Sony handhelds again and only on the Sony handhelds, but I really dislike it. It seems like so much work to put into new versions of the games that so few people will see as a result. At least P4 will have the benefit of coming out early in the life of the Vita, unlike 1-3 which have pretty much just arrived for the death of the PSP, but still. Maybe some day I'll break down and buy it, but, I've never really enjoyed playing games like these on handhelds. Oh well.

What's not to like i can't see why you would have a problem with this because i find it helps atlus builds it fan-base without risking a make or break game. I think persona has a cult following that has been growing more and more heck even now thanks to giantbomb i'm sure it got some more fans. In saying that i'm sure there are some people who still have not played a persona game yet and this is a great jumping on point. I'm sure this will set them up for whenever they are ready to get persona 5 on track and to have a fan-base to cover their budget to make that game and be a success. Also i think they are being vey tasteful and not making more then one port or remake. because they could have made a crappy port for the psp and then make a brand new awesome port for the vita too.

Or, they could have made the ports the exact same way they did, and then also made them available, say, on the PSN PS3 store, so that one could then also play the game in the comfort of their living room on a normal television OR on their handheld. It would be the same enhanced version of the game, it would still only be available to Sony, but you increase not only who can play the game (PS3 owners as well as PSP owners, or in the coming case of P4, Vita owners), but you also increase the portion of people that might want to play it, because there are a lot of people that don't enjoy playing full blown, time consuming games on handhelds because it's an inferior experience in the set up.

Would I rather a) be sitting in a comfy spot in my house, head up, looking at my nice big t.v. getting to enjoy all of the sounds of the game as they are, OR, would I rather b) be sitting in a comfy spot in my house, head cranked downwards, looking at a tiny screen, with the sound barely audible because it might be distracting to other people that are trying to watch things on the big t.v. and I don't want to wear headphones because then I can't hear people trying to talk to me? You could try to say "yeah, but you can take it on the go instead!" which may work fine for some place like, say, Japan, but honestly there is no time when I am traveling in my daily life where I have the time to start up and play a 100 hour long RPG and make any meaningful progress in it, and for an RPG, no meaningful progress means a lack of connection to the game and a lack of investment in the game, and those things mean I don't finish the game, regardless of how good it might be.

To be clear, in case it got lost somewhere in there, I am NOT saying that the Persona enhanced versions shouldn't be on the PSP/Vita at all. What I am saying, is why limit them to ONLY the PSP/Vita? The only reason to do it would be because Sony paid them for such in an attempt to enhance ONLY their PSP/Vita sales/demographic, but then you fall into the pit of - there's a lot of people that live in places outside of Japan where they don't want full blown games like this on handhelds because handhelds are more of an inconvenience in play style than what they're worth, regardless of how good the game might be, especially when those games aren't ones you can just pick up, play for a few minutes, and set it back down.


Oh i get it your just not a fan of it being on the  handheld that make sense and i understand your point .  I don't know why it not a psn release but it maybe to drive psp sales. The only other thing i can think of is that they are waiting until persona 5 is closer to release to release a persona 3 & 4 bundle disk release. Besides that i know some people are little upset they can't play it on the ps3 but i feel that there are ways you can still play it if you really want to on a tv.
#25 Posted by FoxMulder (1706 posts) -

Wish this was PSP, I have one of those and don't want to spend money on a Vita.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@eroticfishcake said:

  • An element highly requested by fans.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it's something related to the pageants.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.