Where's the guy for the last Fox quest?

#1 Posted by Hunkulese (2538 posts) -

I've tried to find it in a guide and it says to give a huge fish to the fish trader but I can't figure out who that is. I assumed it was the old man on the riverbank but the only options I have with him are the questions about fishing. He has the quest marker above his head but wont talk to me about any quests. Is there something I need to do to get him to want the fish? I don't know if it matters but I've only fished once for the red goldfish and I got the huge fish from the shopping channel and I've never traded anything with him.

#2 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

That's an old guide. Once you accept the quest,talk to the Old Man at Riverbank on Non-rainy days and he'll ask you for a Fish Hook. Get the Fish Hook by talking to a boy at shrine,he'll ask for something,give it to him and he'll give you a ladybug,at night go to Shiroku Pub and give the Shiroku Hostess the bug,in return you get a Fish hook. The next day give the man the Fish hook and he'll give you a fishing rod.

Than read the Fishing books for Beginners and Experts for the next week until you read it all. On Rainy Days you have access to catching the River Guardian. Once you catch him give it to the Old Man and he'll give you a Special Rod. Than go to the beach and catch the Sea Guardian on any weather.

Here's some tips. You can only catch River Guardian with Inaba Jewel Bettle and Sea Guardian with Genji Beetle. You can only catch the Sea Guardian once you accept Ema request. You can catch is easily be seeing the ripples of the water.

I can't help you with catching the bugs since I got it in New Years when you practically get bugs easy as hell.

#3 Posted by Hunkulese (2538 posts) -

@TohruAdachi: Thanks.

Um where do you catch bugs?

#4 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

Apparently it's obtained from the same boy who gives you the Ladybug,the problem is I've never done it. As I stated,I just did my other social links early on,and finished off my Hermit on New Years since the bugs shelter under the snow in the farming area,and it usually gives you one Inaba Jewel Bettle and Genji Beetle if you just do it once a night,and doesn't watch the whole night.

Bugs can be captured at the Shrine,the chances of Inaba Jewel/Genji Beetles catch rate is higher at night too I believe,but I suggest you do the same thing I did above.

#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

What sucks is that what beetles you get seem to be predetermined, at least in my experience. I've been following a Max Social Links guide and the bugs it's suggesting I capture seems to be impossible to get since I've loaded, no kidding, at least 30 times and I've failed to get even one each time (Inaba Jewel Beetle, or whatever). I've read all the books that help me get better at catching them bugs, but it don't matter, son.

#6 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

: Take my suggestion and wait until December,because the bugs burrow under the ground at night you get both those bugs for sure and it doesn't even waste the Evening for the day,it's so worth it,and it nearly snows everyday so you can practically catch it any day.

#7 Edited by MyNiceIceLife (601 posts) -

hopefully you have better luck than i did trying to catch the beach guardian. caught the samegawa guardian on my first try at night, then spent three hours with no success catching the beach guardian. as for the bugs, i think it's possible to purchase them during one of the tv sales sometime in august. can't remember the exact date, but the Genji Beetle is purchasable if you aren't already later in the game. also you will see splashes when you have one of the guardians on the line so if you just see normal ripples just hit O and cast again instead of wasting your bait.

#8 Posted by StarvingGamer (7584 posts) -

@Hunkulese: @rjayb89: The bugs you need to get are flagged. Until you reach a certain point in the quest you cannot catch the proper bugs. Here are the steps you need to do.

1. Once you have the scooter, go on 3 long rides to unlock the beach
  2. Go to the beach and try fishing, you will get a message about needing a better fishing rod. This does not Spend Time
  3. Talk to the old man by the riverbed and he will offer you an ocean fishing rod if you can catch him the River Guardian. This does not Spend Time
  4. Talk to him again and exhaust all the conversation options. The text of the questions you can ask should have changed to indicate that you are asking specifically about the Guardian. This does not spend time
  5. Go to the shrine and catch bugs. There should be about a 20-25% chance for each bug you catch to be a Jewel Beetle so if you're getting perfect swings of 4-6 bugs (depending on books read), it shouldn't take more than two tries. This does not spend time so there is no reason not to do this every day and build up a stockpile
  6. Once you have a few Jewel Beetles, go to the river any time it is raining. After your cast, you will see ripples around the bobber. The Guardian has a telltale ripple pattern of one regular ripple followed by a larger splashing ripple. If you do not see this pattern reel in your bobber and you won't have wasted your bait or one of your attempts for the day.
  7. After catching the Guardian, show it to the old man and he will then tell you about the Ocean Guardian. Do the same song and dance of exhausting all the conversation options.
  8. Go back to the shrine and keep catching bugs. You should no be catching Genji Beetles fairly often.
  9. Once you have a few Genji Beetles, go to the beach any time it is raining. The Ocean Guardian has the same ripple pattern so just keep your eye out for it
  10. After catching the Ocean Guardian, show it to the old man to complete the quest for turn-in to the Fox

While all the fishing/bug-catching books will help, the Expert Fishing book is going to be a necessity if you want to stand a chance of catching the Ocean Guardian. Let me know if any of this is unclear.

#9 Edited by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

: Why do I see so many people with difficulties catching the Sea and River Guardian? I caught at least four River Guardians in like 20mins to trade in for Mondo stones in stuff and than Sea Guardian took me like 10 minutes. I think even less,like five minutes,just read fishing book perhaps?

#10 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: God damn it Max Social Link guide. God damn it.

#11 Posted by StarvingGamer (7584 posts) -

@rjayb89: I hope you're using staggered saves

#12 Posted by endaround (2129 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

@StarvingGamer: God damn it Max Social Link guide. God damn it.

Every guide I glanced at seems to be from P4 and not really well updated with new events.

#13 Posted by StarvingGamer (7584 posts) -
#14 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@rjayb89: I hope you're using staggered saves

Nah, I'm good. I'm where I should be in regards to what rank I should be at on Social Links. I know I should have multiple saves, but I have just the one. Since my last post, I caught the river guardian on the assigned date. S'all good.

#15 Posted by envane (1157 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: wait what the fuck lol ... its like a whole new game

#16 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (601 posts) -

@TohruAdachi: I don't know, maybe the game just didn't like that i caught the River Guardian on my first attempt so it decided to punish me by not letting me catch the Sea Guardian. Also, it may depend on when you caught it, but all the times I tried it was just cloudy (December/January). Gave up on it for my first playthough which i just completed about 20 minutes ago. Next time maybe I'll have better luck, or try and get that far when I can still go to the beach when it's raining.

#17 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

: I caught River Guardian when it was Snowing. I kept waiting for a Rainy day and than I thought to myself... Doesn't snow melt and higher the water level? Than I had one more day to catch the Beach Guardian so I had to catch it on a Cloudy day,and it still didn't take long.

#18 Posted by Hunkulese (2538 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: I still don't know where to get the net to catch the bugs. I talked to the kid saying he lost his net at the shrine but I haven't been able to find it.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (7584 posts) -

@Hunkulese: If you go to the shrine at night, sometimes there will be a ghost lady there near the fortune drawing. Talk to her to get the net.

#20 Posted by Hunkulese (2538 posts) -
@StarvingGamer

@Hunkulese: @rjayb89: The bugs you need to get are flagged. Until you reach a certain point in the quest you cannot catch the proper bugs. Here are the steps you need to do.

1. Once you have the scooter, go on 3 long rides to unlock the beach
  2. Go to the beach and try fishing, you will get a message about needing a better fishing rod. This does not Spend Time
  3. Talk to the old man by the riverbed and he will offer you an ocean fishing rod if you can catch him the River Guardian. This does not Spend Time
  4. Talk to him again and exhaust all the conversation options. The text of the questions you can ask should have changed to indicate that you are asking specifically about the Guardian. This does not spend time
  5. Go to the shrine and catch bugs. There should be about a 20-25% chance for each bug you catch to be a Jewel Beetle so if you're getting perfect swings of 4-6 bugs (depending on books read), it shouldn't take more than two tries. This does not spend time so there is no reason not to do this every day and build up a stockpile
  6. Once you have a few Jewel Beetles, go to the river any time it is raining. After your cast, you will see ripples around the bobber. The Guardian has a telltale ripple pattern of one regular ripple followed by a larger splashing ripple. If you do not see this pattern reel in your bobber and you won't have wasted your bait or one of your attempts for the day.
  7. After catching the Guardian, show it to the old man and he will then tell you about the Ocean Guardian. Do the same song and dance of exhausting all the conversation options.
  8. Go back to the shrine and keep catching bugs. You should no be catching Genji Beetles fairly often.
  9. Once you have a few Genji Beetles, go to the beach any time it is raining. The Ocean Guardian has the same ripple pattern so just keep your eye out for it
  10. After catching the Ocean Guardian, show it to the old man to complete the quest for turn-in to the Fox

While all the fishing/bug-catching books will help, the Expert Fishing book is going to be a necessity if you want to stand a chance of catching the Ocean Guardian. Let me know if any of this is unclear.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something or just unlucky. I've spent the last two weeks trying to catch bugs and still no Jewel beetle. Was I supposed to do something else for the old man? He's talking to me about the guardian but can't remember what the bug is called for the bait.
#21 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

@Hunkulese: What I did in my situation was talk to that old man near the riverbed, and during the next time I caught some bugs (at night), I was showered with Inaba Jewel Beetles. I think it has to be nighttime as well when you're going for Genji Beetles. Also don't fret when you finally get dem bugs and use them as bait when you're fishing, I reeled in my fishhook what has to be over 50 times until I got the correct ripple pattern (a few ripples and a splash/splashes).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.