Would we like to see a Persona 3 Golden?

• 61 results
Posted by Rays_Gaming_Rants (71 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Would we like to see a Persona 3 Golden? (158 votes)

Yes 56%
No 44%

With how great Persona 4 Golden is, especially in how it enhanced the previous version; I really think it would be great if Atlus went back and gave the Vita treatment to Persona 3. While P3P was a good title, they had to hack out quite a bit, especially in the field exploration department that could be put back into, and made better on the Vita. Plus they could add the FES content, and all the better touches from 4.

#51 Edited by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

No because isn't that just P3P? And I would argue P4G is worse than P4. Now that isn't saying much as P4 is the greatest game of all time but of all the things they added to Golden, most of them missed than hit.

#52 Edited by Flappy (2241 posts) -

@nightriff: Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever heard that argument before. I might see it coming from a disgruntled P4 fan that didn't want to buy a VITA for a game that they already played, but for everyone else? I don't see it.

Now that I think about it, people are pretty passionate when it comes to Chie, so Chie's voice change might be all it takes for them to take a dump on P4G. In all seriousness, I'd be interested to see you elaborate on this train o' thought.

Skill cards? Easier "SHUFFLE TIME!" shenanigans? Marie?

#53 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@flappy said:

@living4theday258: Around GB? Perhaps (you can thank the ER for that). However, there are a lot of people that preferred P3's darker atmosphere over P4's happier one. I put in 200~ hours (fuuuuuuuuuuuuck) into P4/P4G, but I can't deny the appeal of a Mitsuru or some of the other social links in P3.

If Atlus manages to take the best parts of FES, mash them with the best parts P4 and incorporate some fresh stuff of their own into P5, we'll be looking at a beautiful JRPG.

Or it could be completely ass and fall short of everyone's ridiculous expectations. I can see it going both ways, really.

it wasn't the atmosphere of persona 4 i disliked. it was repetitiveness of it:

1. person goes missing.
  2. go rescue person.
  3. Still no idea who's doing it.

and it does that about 7 or 8 times. Unless the game changes after Naoto's dungeon I dont think ill finish persona 4

If you're going to boil it down to that, then Persona 3 was just as repetitive, if not more so.

1. Social Link and grind at Tartarus
  2. Wait for full moon
  3. Fight boss

I don't see how a person going missing was repetitive to you. I always thought it was really exciting to see who could be next and slowly piecing together what all these characters had in common.

And I always thought It was the "in-between" of Persona 4 that made me like it more than Persona 3. In Persona 4 there are a lot more school trips and holidays where character development happen. There's not a ton of that in Persona 3. And level grinding in Persona 4 was a lot less repetitive thanks to the dungeons actually looking different, in stead of Persona 3's dungeons being a color swap every 100 or so levels.

#54 Posted by Flappy (2241 posts) -

@landon: Your post just totally mindfucked me in the worst way. I was tagged in it and it looked pretty similar to my original post, so it threw me for a loop. The fact that it's like 2AM doesn't help, either. In any case, I totally agree. It has been some time since I last played Persona 3, but I had a feeling that the characters in P4 were more of a focus than the ones in P3.

At the risk of sounding like a P3-hating fanboy, thank you for backing me up on this. Feels good to have my original feelings confirmed.

#55 Edited by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

No. And if you were going to make a remake, remake SMT I, II, if..., Persona 1, 2: IS, and 2: EP.

Or better yet just make a new game. Worked out pretty well for SMT IV.

#56 Posted by Tajasaurus (862 posts) -

Just port FES to Vita

and add direct control like P3P

#57 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (5021 posts) -

Just port FES to Vita

and add direct control like P3P

This, just fit FES down to the VITA screen, add some high res art, actual cutscenes. BOUGHT.

Also solid Platinum Edition? get some stickers. So it can sit next to my gold ed.

#58 Posted by Landon (4143 posts) -

@flappy said:

@landon: Your post just totally mindfucked me in the worst way. I was tagged in it and it looked pretty similar to my original post, so it threw me for a loop. The fact that it's like 2AM doesn't help, either. In any case, I totally agree. It has been some time since I last played Persona 3, but I had a feeling that the characters in P4 were more of a focus than the ones in P3.

At the risk of sounding like a P3-hating fanboy, thank you for backing me up on this. Feels good to have my original feelings confirmed.

I think both games do things well that the other doesn't, and I love P3, it's one my favorite games ever, but I think P4 is just a better designed game.

#59 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

I might pick it up, but the team porting it better not be resources otherwise allocated towards persona 5. That shit matters more.

Plus you can get P3P on current-gen systems anyway, so it doesn't necessarily need an update.

#60 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@flappy said:

@cameron said:

I'd enjoy it. I tried playing P3P on my Vita and it's hard to go back to after playing P4G.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but P3P is lacking many of the things that made P3 so charming in the first place. The visual novel style/updates are nice and everything, but FES is really good. It's also like $9.99 on PSN if you have a PS3 and wanna go that route.

the problem with P3 is going back to it is painful after having been able to control all party members in 4. Those guys are DUMB.

#61 Posted by Flappy (2241 posts) -

@sooty said:
@flappy said:

@cameron said:

I'd enjoy it. I tried playing P3P on my Vita and it's hard to go back to after playing P4G.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but P3P is lacking many of the things that made P3 so charming in the first place. The visual novel style/updates are nice and everything, but FES is really good. It's also like $9.99 on PSN if you have a PS3 and wanna go that route.

the problem with P3 is going back to it is painful after having been able to control all party members in 4. Those guys are DUMB.

It's not that bad. I mean, Mind Charge -> Marin Karin must be a viable tactic if Mitsuru is performing it. The AI isn't the greatest, but once they know what the enemy's strengths and weaknesses are, they're pretty good at not fucking up.

#62 Posted by Nightriff (5079 posts) -

@flappy: I can try to elaborate, haven't thought about it really since I beat P4G but let me state that P4G is a fantastic game still and I'll probably always play it over the original because it is on the Vita and I can take it on vacation, to work, in bed, etc.

BUT a good majority of the additions just felt like filler and didn't have original feel at all. I don't particularly remember everything but most of the events I didn't enjoy, I would've rather used that time on more social linking. The one that bothered me the most was Halloween, you waste your day dressing up and setting decorations in Junes only to find out they cancelled the event and Yosuke didn't know....really? We can't have a little Halloween event where we see the Investigation Team dressed up in costumes? I don't know Japanese culture or even if they celebrate Halloween but it was an addition that didn't add anything, not even much humor. Now an event they added I liked was the black out early in the year, I don't remember much about it except it was short, sweet, a little humor and also gave you the opportunity to get close to Chie or Yukiko (don't really remember which or even if that actually happened). I thought the band part was dumb where the Snow trip was cool (though extremely long).

Now the combat, I liked the changes but they felt more to make the combat sections go quicker and serviceable for veterans who just want to see the new social links, events, endings, etc. I do actually prefer the randomness of the original over the skill cards, I had more fun trying to time the button press with the card I want than doing a math problem to get all of the skill cards (where most of them I didn't want, the bonuses to money and exp were not as beneficial as P3P and kinda of a waste). Same with the fusion, it is way way more convenient in Golden but there is something special and charming (and annoying obviously) about rolling the same 2 or 3 personas for 30 minutes until you got the ultimate combo of skills. Not player friendly at all but also made you appreciate the stronger personas you had. My logic isn't the best in this section, obviously Golden is built to be player friendly but the original's quirks and inconveniences helped make it a new and special experience for me as a player, I never played a JRPG until P4 and it was completely different from anything else I ever played previously.

I did really enjoy the two new social links, still mad I messed up the Adachi one and didn't complete it but I enjoyed what I saw until I play the game again and go for max social links all around. My biggest problem with them is the Marie social link had very few moments where it was just you and her, there was also a third party there to, really, bug you. Now this plays into the bonus dungeon as they all know her and want to save her because of those moments but I would've liked a few more Yu and her bits. And the new voices didn't bother me, Chie's new voice grew on me after a few hours and Teddie I couldn't really tell a difference (we shall see if that is the case when I watch the ER again in the next few weeks). Chie's older VA was fantastic and had a charm that made everyone on GB fall in love with her, but I was always partial to Yukiko so I wasn't up and arms about the change. And it wasn't a Snake problem where they changed the voice for really no reason, the original one retired so they had to get a new one and went in a different direction, didn't really bother me and the reasons seem justifiable.

So those are the thoughts that come to mind about why I prefer the original over Golden. Hope my ramblings make some sense as I was trying to type this and take care of a crying baby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.