So with the official announcement of P4UUSH, people have naturally begun speculating about where the plot my be taken and I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread and give a proper venue for people to talk about their ideas/theories about what might happen in the story based on everything that's happened in the series until now.
First step, listing the unanswered questions from Persona 4 Arena:
- Who is the mysterious girl the anti-Shadow weapons (Labrys and Aigis) are based on?
- Who is the “Eerie Voice” (the one who hacks into Labrys)?
- Who is the “Malevolent Entity” (the one who impersonates the cast’s Shadows)?
- Who are the remaining members of the Shadow Operatives (other than Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis)?
- What does Elizabeth gaining the Wild Card entail?
Second step, listing currently known story beats of the sequel:
- Takes place several days after Persona 4 Arena.
- Both SEES and the Investigation Team are trying to investigate who was behind the events of P4A when the Midnight Channel starts broadcasting again.
- Dictator Teddie returns and announces a new tournament: the "P-1 Climax."
- Along with the announcement, space-time starts to warp around Inaba. People start to vanish and a mysterious red fog starts to envelop the area.
- Inaba in the real world starts to resemble the world inside the television, which means the action takes place in the real world.
- Mitsuru and "others" are depicted as crucified on the Midnight Channel.
- The Investigation Team and the Shadow Operative Rescue Unit (Yukari being asked urgently to rescue Mitsuru on the set of her TV show, for example) resolve to save the crucified ones as well as resolve this whole mess, in which the fate of the world hangs in the balance.
- The "Shadow army" stands in the way of the good guys.
Third step, potential questions that could be asked knowing what we currently know:
The new character whom we know nothing of except for the fact that he has a Yasogami outfit around his waist. Why does he have the Yasogami outfit? Is he friend or foe? Could he be the one who kidnapped Labrys in Persona 4 Arena and threw her into the television? Is he cooperating with the "Malevolent Entity"? Is he the Malevolent Entity itself?
Two funny theories I've seen are the following and involve the space-time warp stuff:
That he is a younger Deidara, who was the weapon shop salesman in Persona 4.
And that he resembles Yu Narukami (he does a bit), so there might be a connection there.
What is the result of the fact that space-time is apparently breaking down in P4A2's scenario? Could it lead to crazy cameos from past games, like Persona 2 characters or Makoto Yuki (Persona 3 protagonist)? Tartarus has apparently appeared again and has taken the place of Yasogami. Is that related to whatever's happening to space-time?
- Why are Persona users, particularly Mitsuru, getting crucified?
- What's the relevance of having another tournament and why would someone disguise themselves as Teddie again?
- Are the fake Shadows a result of Nyarlathotep like they were in Persona 2 and maybe Persona 4 Arena?
- What is the red mist that is enveloping Inaba? Why are people disappearing?
- Who kidnapped Fuuka?
The space-time warping stuff makes me think of the scenario in the very first Persona game as well as the events of The Answer in Persona 3. In general, I like the initial setting of P4A2 for now more than that of P4A, which was essentially a generic tournament with friends being forced to fight each other.
Now, there will be actual foes with the Shadows and potential other characters (Sho might be one of them) and the structure of the story is more open than taking place within a school inside the Midnight Channel. The fact that this presumably takes place in the real world across Inaba, hopefully with no invisible walls, makes things more interesting.