Possibly coming to PS3?

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

So.... I just saw this on IGN.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/01/persona-4-coming-to-ps3-as-ps2-classic?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Apparently the article states that Atlus may be bringing over the PS2 version as a direct emulation via PS2 classics. Persona 3 FES is already up on PSN so this doesn't seem like an entirely out there idea. So hey, if you want to play some persona 4 on your PS3 and don't have a backwards compatible system I guess now you probably can do that soon.

#2 Edited by Steadying (1342 posts) -

Definitely not interested in buying 4 again unless it's the Golden version.

#3 Posted by SomberOwl (696 posts) -

Yeah why wouldn't they just port the Vita version to the PS3? They have already ported many Vita games over.

#4 Posted by flasaltine (1682 posts) -

Why do the Persona games always have to be an entire generation behind?

#5 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5801 posts) -

I always did think it strange it never showed up as a Ps2 classic seeing as Persona 3 did.

#6 Posted by Steadying (1342 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: I always just assumed it was because they didn't want it to interfere with the Golden's sales, maybe?

#7 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

@somberowl said:

Yeah why wouldn't they just port the Vita version to the PS3? They have already ported many Vita games over.

Save more buzz for the PS4 Golden port?

#8 Edited by SomberOwl (696 posts) -

@somberowl said:

This would be amazing.

#9 Posted by Skyfire543 (712 posts) -

I would get it if it was P4G.

#10 Edited by BigJeffrey (5076 posts) -

p4 sucks.

#11 Edited by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

Because they are literally taking the PS2 ISO and just making it compatible with PS3 porting the Vita version would require and actual proper team and assets to do. Dumping this on the marketplace as a PS2 classic is something that can be done for almost no cost to them whatsoever with minimal work to get it up and running.

#12 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1146 posts) -

@professoress said:

@somberowl said:

This would be amazing.

That would be Persona 5 Golden.

#13 Edited by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

I'd probably play through Golden again if it was playable on my TV. It's too bad that the Vita TV never came out in the US (and it probably won't). I liked that concept quite a bit.

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

I would totally buy Persona 4 Golden for Ps3. In a heartbeat. Not so much for the normal version though

#15 Edited by Turambar (6810 posts) -

Why do the Persona games always have to be an entire generation behind?

Lower development cost, which is fairly important for a developer without a giant budget.

#16 Edited by Zeik (2538 posts) -

I'd honestly rather replay the PS2 version than Golden, so I'll probably pick it up at some point like I did FES, for easier access and the slightly better resolution.

#17 Posted by BradBrains (1065 posts) -

porting golden would actual take time and effort so i wouldnt expect it. persona 4 on ps3 classic is good idea but i also dont like the idea of having another excuse to play it again.

#18 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1170 posts) -

It would seem ridiculous for it NOT to be Golden.

#19 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@somberowl said:

Because they are literally taking the PS2 ISO and just making it compatible with PS3 porting the Vita version would require and actual proper team and assets to do. Dumping this on the marketplace as a PS2 classic is something that can be done for almost no cost to them whatsoever with minimal work to get it up and running.

I think they're probably just customizing an emulator specifically for Persona 4 on the PS3. There's a part in Persona 3 FES where you're in a hot springs and you have to run around, and the framerate is agonizingly bad on the PS3 version.

@zeik said:

I'd honestly rather replay the PS2 version than Golden, so I'll probably pick it up at some point like I did FES, for easier access and the slightly better resolution.

Are you saying that you just don't want to play on a portable screen or that you just think the PS2 version is the better version? If the latter, why?

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@believer258: Well yeah all the emulation is software driven.

#21 Edited by Aegon (5702 posts) -
#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@aegon said:

@bigjeffrey said:

p4 sucks.

You all like

I'm all like

Persona fanboy fight. GO!

#23 Edited by Slag (4615 posts) -

Well I'd buy it. Again

#24 Edited by Fuzzy_Dunlop (214 posts) -

Fuck that noise, where's all the PS2 SMT games like Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne? I think Raidou Kuzunoha just came out today as a matter of fact, so at least that's a good start.

#25 Posted by Mcfart (1659 posts) -

Fuck that noise, where's all the PS2 SMT games like Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne? I think Raidou Kuzunoha just came out today as a matter of fact, so at least that's a good start.

Nocturne was amazing.

DDS was okay. Dat twist at the end of DDS/beginning of DDS 2 though.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

Man speaking of Nocturne I was going through my random magazines and books that I have and found the strategy guide for Nocturne which is apparently have yet I never remember owning the game. O_o

#27 Posted by Korwin (2890 posts) -

I'd buy it... though it would be better to buy on PS4.

#28 Posted by Zeik (2538 posts) -

@believer258: I don't like some of the things that were changed (Teddie and Chie's voices for example), and some of the new additions, while cool on the surface, kind of wreck the balance. (They needed to scale back some of the OP elements, not introduce 20 more.) Most of the rest is fine, but is largely superfluous. There's nothing in there that feels like it really elevates the game. I still like P4 better, but as far as updated versions go I think they did a better job with FES.

#29 Posted by Jay_Ray (1110 posts) -

Knowing me I'll buy it knowing I will never play it...

#30 Posted by Bones8677 (3263 posts) -

I would be psyched if I didn't already buy and play the PS2 version last year. Wish they had been faster. Unless it's the Golden version, I won't be buying it again.

#31 Posted by LiquidPrince (16009 posts) -

Eh, I'm cool. P4 is one of my favorite games ever but I already own the PS2 version as well as the JP and NA versions of Golden.

#32 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@zeik: I guess I can see that. P4G is definitely easier, even with the difficulty turned up. Chie's voice just stopped bugging me at some point and I can't even hear a difference with the Teddie's. They did add a new dungeon, though, which I haven't quite made it to yet.

#33 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

I don't really mind if it's not on PS4, but if it isn't Golden, then why the fuck should they bother? I know that there are some people who'd sell a kidney to play P4 but don't have a Vita (like myself), but it's really just money down the drain when you think about it

#34 Edited by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

@steamrickroller: Because people will buy it and it cost them almost nothing to build an emulator for the PS2 game?

#35 Posted by Zeik (2538 posts) -

I don't really mind if it's not on PS4, but if it isn't Golden, then why the fuck should they bother? I know that there are some people who'd sell a kidney to play P4 but don't have a Vita (like myself), but it's really just money down the drain when you think about it

Money down the drain for who? It's certainly not for Atlus, since porting the PS2 version is way way way easier and more cost effective than porting the Vita version. If you mean for the consumer, then I don't agree with that either, as it's still easily worth $10. And like I said before, I don't think Golden is even that much of an improvement. Anybody without a Vita is way better off buying this version.

#36 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

@zeik: I guess I can see that. P4G is definitely easier, even with the difficulty turned up. Chie's voice just stopped bugging me at some point and I can't even hear a difference with the Teddie's. They did add a new dungeon, though, which I haven't quite made it to yet.

The new dungeon is probably the best thing to come out of Persona 4 design wise

#37 Posted by jiggajoe14 (746 posts) -

Since I never played P4 I wouldn't mind this.

#38 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

I just realized I would probably be able to use my PS2 save files since I have that dumb memory card adapter. Suddenly the prospect of being able to jump straight into NG+ makes this a way more appealing purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.