Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Atlus team to focus on persona 5

• 141 results
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Barrock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Brendan said:

Derp-derpity-derp-derp??

Endurance Run!?!

Hush! Don't say that! They'll get angry!

Vinny was just fucking teasing it on the Bombcast with 3.

No spoilers, man! I haven't listened to this week's Bombcast yet!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Aegon

Didn't it take them 1 or 2 years to crank out the first 2 PS2 persona games? They've already done Catherine so they have modern console experience. It might not be that long before this thing is out.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Aegon

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Barrock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Brendan said:

Derp-derpity-derp-derp??

Endurance Run!?!

Wait, you think that's what it was? That didn't even come to mind. I would be satisfied with Vinny and Dave giving updates of their journey in P3, but a secret ER would be cool.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Barrock

@Aegon said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Barrock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Brendan said:

Derp-derpity-derp-derp??

Endurance Run!?!

Wait, you think that's what it was? That didn't even come to mind. I would be satisfied with Vinny and Dave giving updates of their journey in P3, but a secret ER would be cool.

I don't think he was meaning to. But I was just thinking "Well you should totally ER that...".

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Zripwud

Remembering an Adriasang update from last August:

In an interview discussing Persona 4 The Golden and Persona 4 The Ultimate in Mayonaka, producer Katsura Hashino said that preliminary development for Persona 5 (which he referred to as "the next numbered title") is nearly complete. From here, the staff will advance into the actual development process.
    The key players are returning for Persona 5. Hashino is director. Shigenori Soejima is character designer, and Shouji Meguro is main composer.
    They've solidified the themes they'd like to cover in the game. The staff wants to challenge more new things compared to even Persona 3.
    Hashino shared one technical bit about P5. For Catherine, Team Persona made use of a third party engine. They've since completed work on their own engine. With this new internal engine, Hashino believes that converting their ideas into game form will go considerably smooth. However, he warned that he expects a lengthy wait until release.

Source: Adriasang
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By buzz_killington

Jesus, 3 to 4 took them a year and a half, and that time included an upgraded version of 3. Now it's been almost four fucking years since 4. I hope I haven't lost interest in videogames by the time it's out.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By supamon

@Barrock said:

@Aegon said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Barrock said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Brendan said:

Derp-derpity-derp-derp??

Endurance Run!?!

I don't think he was meaning to. But I was just thinking "Well you should totally ER that...".

I don't think that's what he meant but it was clear he feels like going back and attempt to finish it. Dave just bought P3 for his PSP too! Feels like the stars are aligning but who am I kidding? It would never happen even if the entire community asked for it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By Hunter5024

@buzz_killington said:

Jesus, 3 to 4 took them a year and a half, and that time included an upgraded version of 3. Now it's been almost four fucking years since 4. I hope I haven't lost interest in videogames by the time it's out.

4 reused a ton of assets from 3 like all of the persona artwork, some of the generic character models, most of the enemies, most of the spell animations. This is presumably a generational leap and certainly an engine change for them, so they cant reuse that stuff and it's more time intensive to create assets for this generation than it was for the ps2. Personally I'm glad they're taking their time. Let this game be beautiful.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm still waiting for P5 to not actually come out for the PS3 until the PS4 is out. Because I feel like that seems like a total possibility by this point.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By Video_Game_King

What? They can't work on Persona 5, yet. They still have one more Persona 4 game to make!

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By Nux

@Soap said:

FINALLY!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By penguindust

I remember reading articles in 2011 and 2010 concerning its development.

I do hope there is a teaser-trailer at this years TGS.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Elazul

@Brendan: Wow. I... uhh... was kinda joking, dude. I'm sure they don't actually discount certain games just because they see someone suggesting it, it's just that they were being asked about it so frequently that it became a running gag, and by the time Ryan was getting multiple emails per week about it to the friggin' Bombcast email address, things had kinda gotten out of control.

I will say though, it's a huge shame that it's gotten to the point where they actually have paying subscribers that feel like this. They either need to pull off some seriously crazy shit with their premium content and bonuses or have the decency to stop taking people's money and pretending like they have the manpower to adequately support it when they clearly just don't. Maybe things will improve when they finish the new site and can (hopefully) hire some more staff, but as it stands I've got nothing but sympathy for you loyal, upstanding duders. I wouldn't want to pay to be treated like that either.

jmr1415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64  Edited By jmr1415

Wow it really looks as if my willingness to check the net every couple of months for news about P5 has paid off. Or not. It's not as if this tells us anything more than was already out in the public domain.   

Sigh, I guess it's the price of being an Atlus junky and a Persona fanboy (Or should those two descriptions be reversed?) we get great, I mean really great games, ones we can chat about at huge length with other true believers and recommend smugly to those other gamers who have had the poor taste to be addicted to lesser titles, genres, what-have-you, but... we have to put up with insane time-lags between title releases, sparse info about said titles. having to buy the games on multiple different platforms and even more than once on the same platform because various release actually offer enough high quality new content for them to come close to qualifying as different games. Hell the main reason I bought my PSP was because P3 portable. I've not yet got a vita and the only game which makes me think that I will is P4 golden. It's like being in a relationship with an increadibly self-absorbed partner. You feel ignored, even abused, you sometimes want to kick them out of your life, but you don't because... well the good times are simply magic and better than those offered by anyone else you know.  

Okay end of rant. I'm guessing that we'll be lucky if P5 is in the shops for 2013 and if P4Golden makes it to Europe before the middle of next year, but I'll still be looking for anything remotely connected to the SMT universe. It's the price the series exacts. 

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Zripwud

@jmr1415 said:

It's like being in a relationship with an increadibly self-absorbed partner. You feel ignored, even abused, you sometimes want to kick them out of your life, but you don't because... well the good times are simply magic and better than those offered by anyone else you know.

Love me Atlus... WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME?!?!?!

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By casper_

@Brendan: i dont know man do you really want 2 or 4 dudes playing a game they dont want to play, doing a segment they dont want to do, distracting them from stuff they do want to do just because you demand that content? it would be boring and humorless and i think you would be seriously disappointed with that type of ER. good content (any kind) doesn't just appear out of nowhere when it is demanded there has to be inspiration and enthusiasm or some kind of conviction behind it.

and also (absolutely no offense intended) just because you are a subscriber doesnt make you a share holder who has a say in the way they run their business. if you don't like what they do and want to show them that vote with your wallet and stop paying them for it like some kind of chump.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Zripwud

[offtopic] I don't really think they don't want to do ERs, it's just that it's a really long and extenuating thing and they don't want people asking every time for a new ER, so when people ask, they shoot them down. They'll keep doing 'em, but when they feel like it and the game they want to do. Which is fine, that's the way it should be done. [/offtopic]

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By Brendan

@Elazul said:

@Brendan: Wow. I... uhh... was kinda joking, dude. I'm sure they don't actually discount certain games just because they see someone suggesting it, it's just that they were being asked about it so frequently that it became a running gag, and by the time Ryan was getting multiple emails per week about it to the friggin' Bombcast email address, things had kinda gotten out of control.

I will say though, it's a huge shame that it's gotten to the point where they actually have paying subscribers that feel like this. They either need to pull off some seriously crazy shit with their premium content and bonuses or have the decency to stop taking people's money and pretending like they have the manpower to adequately support it when they clearly just don't. Maybe things will improve when they finish the new site and can (hopefully) hire some more staff, but as it stands I've got nothing but sympathy for you loyal, upstanding duders. I wouldn't want to pay to be treated like that either.

Oh c'mon, if you couldn't tell that I was completely sarcastic then that's just sad. I started it off with "derp" for cryin out loud.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By Brendan

@casperhertzog said:

@Brendan: i dont know man do you really want 2 or 4 dudes playing a game they dont want to play, doing a segment they dont want to do, distracting them from stuff they do want to do just because you demand that content? it would be boring and humorless and i think you would be seriously disappointed with that type of ER. good content (any kind) doesn't just appear out of nowhere when it is demanded there has to be inspiration and enthusiasm or some kind of conviction behind it.

and also (absolutely no offense intended) just because you are a subscriber doesnt make you a share holder who has a say in the way they run their business. if you don't like what they do and want to show them that vote with your wallet and stop paying them for it like some kind of chump.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. You morons. I was pretending to translate the word "derp". How fucking dumb do you have to be to not see sarcasm that clear? Two responses thinking I was serious...Jesus....

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#70  Edited By donutfever

Man, Atlus has made announcements like these (which don't really say anything) for the past 3 years at this point. 

Remember when they said they'd be showing stuff after Catherine was released? Though I guess they did change engines. 

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Elazul

@Brendan said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. You morons. I was pretending to translate the word "derp". How fucking dumb do you have to be to not see sarcasm that clear? Two responses thinking I was serious...Jesus....

Wow, really? Someone tried to be nice because you looked like you were having some sort of mental breakdown and you reply by calling them a "moron" and "fucking dumb"? Nice.

Well then, DERP;

That was absolutely hilarious, witty, well written and not ambiguous at all, especially as sarcasm in text form and bizarre, random literary devices are always completely clear and require no prior setup whatsoever. Furthermore, you're a really nice guy whose face bears absolutely no resemblance to a Grizzly Bear's infected nutsack and I totally hope you don't get flattened by a fucking bus.

END OF DERP.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FreakAche

This thread has gotten weird. That being said, they should do a Persona 5 Endurance Run.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By Phatmac

After beating P4A's story it seems pretty clear that the next persona game will have both the P3 and P4 cast. Yay! :D

Melanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Melanon

@PenguinDust said:

I do hope there is a teaser-trailer at this years TGS.

That's what I'm thinking. It doesn't have to be much, maybe just a logo and a hint regarding what the plot's gonna be about.

If we're lucky, we may see a late 2013/early 2014 release.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Zripwud

@Phatmac said:

After beating P4A's story it seems pretty clear that the next persona game will have both the P3 and P4 cast. Yay! :D

I hope you're right, that'd be awesome. That and a new cast fighting with shadows and being contacted by the old cast.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@DonutFever said:

Man, Atlus has made announcements like these (which don't really say anything) for the past 3 years at this point. Remember when they said they'd be showing stuff after Catherine was released? Though I guess they did change engines.

I don't know what you're referring to. They said they'd be ready to talk about Atlus' next RPG after Catherine was released in 2012, which turned out to be Shin Megami Tensei IV. They never talked about focusing on Persona 5 in a development capacity and Meguro's even feigned ignorance towards the topic of its existence before. Now they're finally saying that it's a priority.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By donutfever
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@DonutFever said:

Man, Atlus has made announcements like these (which don't really say anything) for the past 3 years at this point. Remember when they said they'd be showing stuff after Catherine was released? Though I guess they did change engines.

I don't know what you're referring to. They said they'd be ready to talk about Atlus' next RPG after Catherine was released in 2012, which turned out to be Shin Megami Tensei IV. They never talked about focusing on Persona 5 in a development capacity and Meguro's even feigned ignorance towards the topic of its existence before. Now they're finally saying that it's a priority.

Oh, I thought they meant talking about Persona Team's RPG, not Atlus as a whole. My bad. 

And I thought when they announced that Hashino, Meguro, and Soejima were working on P5, I thought they meant, like, working on P5.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By donutfever
    @Brendan said:

@casperhertzog said:

I was pretty sure you were joking, but still, it's not that ridiculous to think that you weren't, seeing as how this is the internet.
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Brendan said:

@casperhertzog said:

What an asshole.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By plaintomato

@Phatmac said:

As with Persona tradition, looks like we'll be playing Persona 5 long after the new consoles come out.

Yeah, but it will be a PS2 exclusive...or maybe Vita or 3DS.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#81  Edited By Phatmac

@plaintomato: Hope you're joking. If Catherine was on current gen then I'd expect P5 to be on it as well.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#82  Edited By Marz

if they can make it so it feels like i'm playing an Anime... that would be great.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Phatmac said:

Catherine is proof enough that having a fully voiced protagonist can work well.

Disputable, considering how Catherine botched the idea of a non-linear plot with a character with a very specific set of traits.

Although in Persona it could actually work out, considering that the protagonists of 3 and 4 were given enough character through artwork and body language to guess how these guys would act.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Vexxan

Fuck it, take the existing Persona 3 and 4 characters, put them in college/university and I'll be happy.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zripwud

Make Persona 5 on PS2, I don't care! I just want a world made by Atlus where I can spend another 100 hours in.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By pyrodactyl

Soooo 2014 at the earlyess........................FUCK

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Terramagi

One day we'll get SMT4.

That will be a great day.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#88  Edited By Video_Game_King
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#89  Edited By D_W

I just hope Persona 5 is set in college or later. Playing characters in their early 20s would be much more interesting than high school kids. I also hope they have some wonderful characterization like in P4 and Catherine without the terrible plot twist and pats on the back like they did in the end of Catherine.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Azteck

I am super excited for this.

That is until they say that it's a PS3 exclusive and I can't play it until PS3 emulators are viable, which by the time they are, I will probably have forgotten about the game. I do hope I get to play it though

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nottle

@AuthenticM said:

@FLStyle said:

I'm very curious as to what Persona 5 is going to be, I hope they don't simply abandon the current P3 and P4 characters for a new set of characters.

If we have to go back the high school route then I'd hope for a maximum of 4 new high school characters who would then integrate with the P3 and P4 characters in an overarching story.

What? Why? Of course the story and characters will be brand-new. The most you can expect for existing characters is cameos. Persona 4 was not a sequel to Persona 3; I'm sure P5 will not be any different.

Well Persona 1 had some playable characters carry over to Persona 2, and some characters from Devil Summoner and SMT If... showed up in Persona games as well. This is kind of what I'd like to see with some of the characters.

Mitsuru, and Akihito make sense sticking around, Aigis too. As the Persona 4 characters are concerned I'm kind of happy with some of them moving on, I like the idea of Chie just becoming a police officer, of Yukiko taking over the inn or doing whatever. I'd like to know that the cast lead normal lives afterwards and stayed friends. I just can't imagine them leaving inaba to be shadow hunters or whatever.

However I do think Naoto would be a good fit, she's a detective and was the party member we had the least amount of time with. But besides maybe a handful of people that could serve as the older mentor types I'd like to see some fresh faces unless they can evolve all of the P4 characters, though I think they've had their character arcs, let someone else shine because what else is there for Yosuke to learn about himself? Another 80 hour game of steak and kung fu antics I'm not up for right now.

I need to Play Arena to see how things go.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92  Edited By Animasta

@Nottle: yeah, not spoiling anything but you can definitely see where Persona 5 might go from P4A.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Nottle

@Animasta: Yeah, I've heard, I don't know what happens, but the entire Persona 4 cast returning seems kind of lame (maybe it wouldn't be) but it seems like a new take on things would be nice. I don't want to S.Link with Kanji again because what would that be about I already have a bond that can't be broken with him and everyone else.

I've never played Persona 2, but didn't it's sequel just take a few characters from the main party in the first game? Kei, Maya, Tatsuya and maybe 1 or 2 others, all the other characters were moved to minor support roles.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Animasta

@Nottle: Well it's not like Persona 5 is going to automatically have social links anyway. It probably will, but who knows? The game they're setting up with P4A (whether that be P4A2 or P5) would be quite different than what P3 and P4 were, plot wise, which would make sense if we look at the chronological order of the games (P1 and both P2's, P3 and P4).

and P1 and P2 is different because that game only ties into P1 because they take place in the same city. P3 didn't really take anything and it's not entirely sure if it's the same universe as P2, but P4 definitely is in the same as P3, and the ps2 persona games have been their most popular so it's likely P5 will be in the same universe. Also Persona 2 only took 3 main characters from P1 (Maya and Tatsuya were both only in P2), which were Yukino, Kei and the model girl, which made sense in that game; some of the others weren't ready to go back on the front lines and what not, same as why there are only 3 persona 3 characters in P4A.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Nottle

@Animasta: You are right they could ditch the whole s link and school year thing. I'm just used to that at this point.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone in the Kirijo group mentions Kei's company in P3. Yeah I haven't played Persona 1 or 2, I would If I had a psp, I meant to say that Maya and Tatsuya carried over from Innocent Sin to Eternal punishment, but all those other guys like Lisa are no longer playable. Kind of hope that happens in P5, (or whatever it is) do we need 3 people that specialize in ice abilities?

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Zripwud

Nah, the whole S-Link is the "datesim" half that's awesome, and also affects combat. It's to perfect ditch it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Animasta

@Zripwud said:

Nah, the whole S-Link is the "datesim" half that's awesome, and also affects combat. It's to perfect ditch it.

Persona 2 didn't have it and it had the best story in the series. I like em too but it's not necessarily the best part about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vexxan said:

Fuck it, take the existing Persona 3 and 4 characters, put them in college/university and I'll be happy.

If the characters start boning I'm out though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#99  Edited By Hailinel

@Irvandus said:

@Vexxan said:

Er...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@Irvandus said:

@Vexxan said:

Er...

She was just showing him where his different muscles were.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.