Do you think there will be a ode to the Endurance Run in Persona?

• 103 results
#1 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Yes, there will be a reference to the Endurance Run in P5. There is no way in HELL that Giantbomb didn't catch Atlus attention sometime during that whole thing.

#2 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -
@Belonpopo said:
" Yes, there will be a reference to the Endurance Run in P5. There is no way in HELL that Giantbomb didn't catch Atlus attention sometime during that whole thing. "
Atlus had the ER linked somewhere, I can't remember if it was on there website or not, so yes they did know about it and like it.
#3 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

yeah....no

#4 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2103 posts) -

Im pretty sure Ryan or Jeff mention during PAX 09 that they talked to ATLUS and they knew about the Endurance Run and were totally fin with it. i doubt P5 will have anything on it though.

#5 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

Jeff has a cameo in Persona 5. Confirmed.

#6 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

No, their primary audience is in Japan, and as I know, there isn't a Japanese version of this site, so the reference would fly over a majority of the audience.

#7 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

There will probably be two characters on a couch named Jeff and Vinny somewhere :P

Localization team...DO IT!

#8 Posted by Dr_Feelgood38 (1550 posts) -

I don't think they'll do anything. Atlus knew about the ER but I don't think it's enough to warrant a reference to it in the game.

#9 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

"You had a dream where you and a man named Jeff wrestled in luchador masks. Vinny was also casting Bufu."

#10 Posted by KommanderCevin (241 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" There will probably be two characters on a couch named Jeff and Vinny somewhere :P "
That would be pretty great. Just sitting in front of a TV and offering riddles when you talk to them.
#11 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

I kind of doubt it. Maybe some guy yelling "BUFU!" or similar.

#12 Posted by raidingkvatch (1153 posts) -

It would be great if they did, but yeah... That's not going to happen way to few people have seen ER to get the reference

#13 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Atlus U.S.A. knew about it, but they're just the publishing arm of Atlus in North America.  The team that makes the games in Japan probably has no idea what the Endurance Run is/was.  So, no, not a direct reference in the game.  There might be a little nod to it in the localization if it makes sense to do it, though.

#14 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2503 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" There will probably be two characters on a couch named Jeff and Vinny somewhere :P  Localization team...DO IT! "
This is probobly the most likely scenario... but only if there's already two un-named NPCs sitting on a couch somewhere in the Japanese version.

I could totally see Atlus USA throwing in a little in-joke like that.
#15 Posted by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

Jeff will replace Tanaka as the new TV salesman. Yes.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16801 posts) -

I really, really doubt it. But if it did, I would absolutely freak at how unbelievably awesome that would be. 

Though it would be tough to distinguish an Endurance Run reference from a Persona 4 reference? For example, is "get bent" an Endurance Run thing or just a Kanji thing?

#17 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (232 posts) -

I guess something like this is too much to hope for, huh?

#18 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Nah, it won't be referenced.  I doubt the developers even know what it is.

#19 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" "You had a dream where you and a man named Jeff wrestled in luchador masks. Vinny was also casting Bufu." "
#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11997 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" "You had a dream where you and a man named Jeff wrestled in luchador masks. Vinny was also casting Bufu." "
Man, lol'd hard.
#21 Posted by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

The japanese developers probably don't care about the ER, but that doesn't stop the localization team to include some kind of reference to Giant Bomb. Did you guys pick the Twilight jab in P4? I seriously doubt that was in the original japanese script. When localizing a game you have to do much more than simply translating what's on paper; you sometimes have to "convert" stuff in order to keep intact the author's intentions. Anyways, what I'm saying is the localization team has a certain amount of freedom while working and there is absolutely nothing stopping the US branch of Atlus from inserting a slight nod to Jeff and Vinny. They can do it if they want to.

#22 Posted by ChrisTaran (1612 posts) -

I think I would loose my shit if I was playing through P5 and saw a GB reference.

I'd also be grinning for a good 2 days straight.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

Not in the japanese version, but people think about Atlus' localization. They're prone to putting in little jokes and shit, so why not.

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19344 posts) -

I'm sure there'll be one.  Nothing significant though, just a little nod.

#25 Posted by jkz (4028 posts) -

I could see something minor being added in by localisation; hell, they linked the ER in their fan letter, why not?

#26 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

I think that would be a great way to get a large part of GB community interested in the game, if they weren't already.

#27 Posted by RedRoach (1191 posts) -
@Kombat said:
" Nah, it won't be referenced.  I doubt the developers even know what it is. "
Atlus USA does, it was linked on their website and they also talked about it on a pax interview. He said a lot of people around the office watched it.
#28 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
@Jason_Bourne: Yeah, but Atlus USA aren't the developers.
#29 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Kombat:  

Yeah, but they localize the game. C'mon, you don't actually think the original developers made Funky Student say ''Ye-yeah''?

Despite the stupid inclusion of the honorifics, Atlus does a great job at localization.
#30 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -
@Thrillhouse87 said:

" I guess something like this is too much to hope for, huh?

"
 If you combine 6 Black Frost's you get a Luchadeer.
#31 Posted by MauveForest (588 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Kombat:    Yeah, but they localize the game. C'mon, you don't actually think the original developers made Funky Student say ''Ye-yeah''?  Despite the stupid inclusion of the honorifics, Atlus does a great job at localization. "
Ye-yeah. Jeff and Vinny are the new funky student duo. Confirmed. 

Not going to happen, but how that would be awesome.
#32 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

The Couch Riddle Duo.

It'd be neat.

#33 Posted by Jazz (2277 posts) -

'Yo son, lay the skinny on me, Which of these does not belong?'

#34 Posted by thebatmobile (981 posts) -

Someone need to mail Atlus about this.

#35 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

There will be a minigame in Persona 5 were you can play the "Giant Bomb P4 Endurance Run".

#36 Posted by thebatmobile (981 posts) -

There will actually be an enemy called "Floating Upside-Down Pyramid People"

#37 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

No. Not enough people would catch on to the reference.

#38 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

As highly unlikely to nearly impossible as it may be....

I would giggle like a school girl for weeks on end. I would also frame the game and hang it on my wall upon completion.

#39 Posted by FieryAntlers (15 posts) -

I think the most you could hope for is a special thinks in the credits.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -
@BraveFart:  It raises Diligence
#41 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -

They could just name a secondary character Charlie Tunoku.

#42 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

" @Kombat:    Yeah, but they localize the game. C'mon, you don't actually think the original developers made Funky Student say ''Ye-yeah''?  Despite the stupid inclusion of the honorifics, Atlus does a great job at localization. "

Have to disagree here.  I think the honorifics helped convey the Japanese setting pretty well, whereas too many other translations try to pass off a Japanese locale as some Asian-American town.
#43 Posted by Wes899 (2115 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" They could just name a secondary character Charlie Tunoku. "
#44 Posted by NeoNaoNeo (50 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
Bingo.

This is exactly how they would do it.
#45 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

Easy.  Giant Bomb Beef Bowl Bufu Attack.

#46 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -
@NeoNaoNeo said:
" @Ghostiet said:
Bingo.  This is exactly how they would do it. "
I would buy the game 5 times.
#47 Edited by YetiAntics (1490 posts) -

The way i see it, the MC has a computer in his room. 

"You sat on your computer" 
"..."  
"You visited a website... about videogames!"
"You watched a series of videos of two guys playing a game in its entirity" 
"..." 
"It was very entertaining!"   
♪   

"Your Endurance has been raised"
#48 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

I think they should, I'm going to get Persona 5 at any cost because of the Endurance Run.  I'll even buy a PS3 if it's an exclusive.  

You heard it here first, Persona 5 will move PS3s!

#49 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
"I think they should, I'm going to get Persona 5 at any cost because of the Endurance Run.  I'll even buy a PS3 if it's an exclusive.    You heard it here first, Persona 5 will move PS3s! "

Everybody knows it's gonna be on the DS... 
The one console I don't have. 
Persona 5 limited edition PS3 bundle? THAT, would be awesome. 

It's perfectly reasonable to expect that there will be some reference to the ER, because of the localization team. Somebody on the development team in japan might know about it too, but that doesn't really matter in the long run. I'm sure they'll find some way to integrate it.
#50 Edited by slyspider (1233 posts) -
@Lydian_Sel said:

" @Thrillhouse87 said:

" I guess something like this is too much to hope for, huh?

"
 If you combine 6 Black Frost's you get a Luchadeer. "
or 10 Satans

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.