Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Do you think there will be a ode to the Endurance Run in Persona?

• 102 results
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By FlipperDesert

Unlikely, but a Meat Dimension reference slipped-into the game's translation would be hysterical.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @FlipperDesert said:
    " Unlikely, but a Meat Dimension reference slipped-into the game's translation would be hysterical. "
    They already made a reference to a Meat Dimension in P4.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Jeffsekai

Never.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @FlipperDesert said:
    " Unlikely, but a Meat Dimension reference slipped-into the game's translation would be hysterical. "
    They already made a reference to a Meat Dimension in P4. "
    How can it be a reference if that's where it originated from?
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @FluxWaveZ: Sorry, my phrasing was incorrect. I meant to say "referred to". I knew it originated from there.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By jakob187
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Belonpopo said:
    " Yes, there will be a reference to the Endurance Run in P5. There is no way in HELL that Giantbomb didn't catch Atlus attention sometime during that whole thing. "
    Atlus had the ER linked somewhere, I can't remember if it was on there website or not, so yes they did know about it and like it. "
    It was linked on both their website as well as in e-mail newsletters that Atlus sent out. 

I would think that Atlus would put a little nod to what seems to have been the reason they sold twice as many copies of the game in the U.S. as they had expected.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @jakob187 said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" @Belonpopo said:
    " Yes, there will be a reference to the Endurance Run in P5. There is no way in HELL that Giantbomb didn't catch Atlus attention sometime during that whole thing. "
    Atlus had the ER linked somewhere, I can't remember if it was on there website or not, so yes they did know about it and like it. "
    It was linked on both their website as well as in e-mail newsletters that Atlus sent out.  I would think that Atlus would put a little nod to what seems to have been the reason they sold twice as many copies of the game in the U.S. as they had expected. "
    An Atlus employee also told Ryan during an interview for Persona for PSP that they knew about the ER. He also jokingly said that they won't be taking any legal action.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " An Atlus employee also told Ryan during an interview for Persona for PSP that they knew about the ER. He also jokingly said that they won't be taking any legal action. "
    Makes me wonder why, though...  I mean, they have the whole damn game available for people to watch on an official video game website, and the ER started only a couple of months after the release of the game.  It could be said that it increased the sales but, come on.  I doubt it increased the sales any more than a very positive review does from a single website: not a lot.

I wonder if they could pull that sort of thing off again with Persona 5 and if Atlus USA would just turn a blind eye to it again.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @FluxWaveZ: I'm not quite sure who you are talking about, Giant Bomb or Atlus? I was referring to the Atlus employee in the highlighted sentence. Have you by any chance seen the video yet?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" An Atlus employee also told Ryan during an interview for Persona for PSP that they knew about the ER. He also jokingly said that they won't be taking any legal action. "
    Makes me wonder why, though...  I mean, they have the whole damn game available for people to watch on an official video game website, and the ER started only a couple of months after the release of the game.  It could be said that it increased the sales but, come on.  I doubt it increased the sales any more than a very positive review does from a single website: not a lot.  I wonder if they could pull that sort of thing off again with Persona 5 and if Atlus USA would just turn a blind eye to it again. "

I don't know about that. I've seen so much people all over the Internet saying they bought P4 because of the ER. A lot of people on this site never heard about SMT and a lot were introduced through P4. I'd reckon the Endurance Run sold Atlus approximately...... a 1000 copies give or take.

Besides atlus has always been cool about this stuff: They knew about the Innocent sin Translation and didn't stopit.
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Belonpopo said:
    It was linked on both their website as well as in e-mail newsletters that Atlus sent out.  I would think that Atlus would put a little nod to what seems to have been the reason they sold twice as many copies of the game in the U.S. as they had expected. "

WAT 

you don't actually think Giantbomb has any sort of infleunce do you?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#61  Edited By natetodamax
    @Ghostiet said:
    " They could just name a secondary character Charlie Tunoku. "
    I don't think Charlie is a popular Japanese name.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#62  Edited By sjschmidt93

Doubt it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mutha3
    @natetodamax:" @Ghostiet said:
    " They could just name a secondary character Charlie Tunoku. "
    I don't think Charlie is a popular Japanese name. "

Localizing.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By the8bitNacho

I hope there isn't.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FrankCanada97 said:

" @FluxWaveZ: I'm not quite sure who you are talking about, Giant Bomb or Atlus? I was referring to the Atlus employee in the highlighted sentence. Have you by any chance seen the video yet? "

I was talking specifically about the legal action part, there.  By "they", I meant the Giant Bomb staff.

@mutha3: Yeah, but the ER could also have damaged the sales instead of increased them.  When people can just see the whole game on a website, a linear JRPG more specifically, some might just not bother buying it.  But really, we have no information to go with with any of this, so we can only assume.

@Kombat said:

" I hope there isn't. "

Why not?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ: 
    I don't think anyone that was interested in P4 in the first place held off on buying it 'till  some dudes on the internet decide to record it

Though, yeah its hard to make a call about this either way, but, I'd like to think the ER helped push some copies for Atlus. I know I bought mine because of the ER. Even though I have been a SMT fan for years , I had always written of the Persona series as a shitty sub-anime dating sim.

How wrong I was! now a year later its one of my favorite games.
    Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@PantyshotMQN said:
    " The way i see it, the MC has a computer in his room.  "You sat on your computer" "..."  "You visited a website... about videogames!""You watched a series of videos of two guys playing a game in its entirity" "..." "It was very entertaining!"   ♪     "Your Endurance has been raised" "
    YES!!  However, it can't be done in one sitting of course much like many other things in the Persona world, such as origami or homework.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @mutha3 said:
    " Even though I have been a SMT fan for years , I had always written of the Persona series as a shitty sub-anime dating sim. "

I doubt it, the first two had nothing to with dating sims as 3 and 4 did. 

Unless you only found out about Persona until 3. In that case you being an SMT fan would've only happened until PS2 because Persona was the flagship SMT series in North America (unless you're European or something). :D
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jambones
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Not in the japanese version, but people think about Atlus' localization. They're prone to putting in little jokes and shit, so why not. "
    I was going to say no, but after you mentioned this, I am not so sure. Perhaps we'll see a little something in the localized version.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#70  Edited By Brackynews

Back of the box: Get Bent... AGAIN!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mutha3
    @Snapstacle said:

" @mutha3 said:

" Even though I have been a SMT fan for years , I had always written of the Persona series as a shitty sub-anime dating sim. "

I doubt it nothing to with dating sims as 3 and 4 did.  Unless you only found out about Persona until 3. In that case you being an SMT fan would've only happened until PS2 because Persona was the flagship SMT series in North America (unless you're European or something). :D "
    dingding

, the first two

were never released in Yuroland. Besides, those are niche even by SMT standards. All I saw from the reviews when P3  came out was dialogue that had honorifics and people describing it as dating sim.

My SMT obsession started with Lucifers call(also known as Nocturne by US people)

EDIT:

wait, flagship title?as if that means anythingL no knew or cared about Persona ''till 3.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HypoXenophobia

What if Jeff and Vinny replaced the equivalent of Kou and Daisuke, who would you choose?

Zawdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zawdy

Battle Tutorial:

Someone says "Cast Bufu!" on an ice resistant shadow.

Then the person giving the tutorial says "Silly ___, that wouldn't do as much damage as another element attack because that shadow is resistant to ice attack moves."

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It might be feasible to have a random character called Charlie Tunoku. But it would only be in the English language versions. I doubt the developers know much about the Endurance Run. They might know of it's existence, but that'll be about it. Atlus USA probably know a lot about it though, so they could probably add in a nod to the ER in the localization process.

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By destruktive
    @Tuggah said:
    " No, their primary audience is in Japan, and as I know, there isn't a Japanese version of this site, so the reference would fly over a majority of the audience. "
    yes.. of course.. Just like I'm only here because of the Norwegian version.
    You know that there are people from all over the world on this site, right?
    Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#76  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Rainy day energy drink challenge.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Tuggah
    @destruktive: I am aware of the big non-US membership here on GB. But, I don't think there is a large base of Japanese members (I could be wrong).
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By destruktive
    @Tuggah:  the internet is international in my humble opinion. If a very popular gaming related website is doing something, anyone might notice. since we all ready know that at least Atlus USA knows about the ER (and apparently liked it), why wouldn't there be a little nod somewhere? It's the perfect place to put it.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying anything is possible.
    izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By izzygraze

Lets say it's in there so they have to do another endurance run.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mutha3
    @Tuggah:  

" No, their primary audience is in Japan, and as I know, there isn't a Japanese version of this site, so the reference would fly over a majority of the audience. " 

*facepalm*
    Uh....no, Atlus USA doesn't translate the game in English for Japan.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#81  Edited By donutfever

Chie Gerstmann is actually an announced character in Persona 5, if you guys wanted to know. 

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#82  Edited By donutfever
    @natetodamax: Or Tunoku.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#83  Edited By JJWeatherman

They should just throw Brad's photobomb in there in the background of a scene.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#84  Edited By LordAndrew
    @mutha3 said:
    " @Tuggah:  

*facepalm*Uh....no, Atlus USA doesn't translate the game in English for Japan. "
    Who said anything about Atlus USA or the English language? At the time of Tuggah's post, no one. There were references to Atlus USA, but they were referred to as "Atlus", so how would Tuggah have known? The first mention of localization came after Tuggah's post.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Venatio

Probably not but it would be awesome as hell

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By Pkshields

Nah, doubt it. It's already been done for a year and it would make no sense to anyone outside of GB.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By rjpelonia

Would I like there to be a Giant Bomb reference in Persona 5? Yes, even if it's a small one hidden somewhere. Do I think there will be one? Not at all.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By zero_

I think there'll end up being some minor reference to it - but nothing huge. I doubt it'd be character models, but a simple text exchange or something like "You saw two guys sitting on a couch playing video games" when you check out the TV or something. I'm more curious as to whether or not a lot of the jokes in P4 English were intended like that in the Japanese version or if Atlus USA had to change it up a bit to fit the audience. I have this feeling that the Luchador Mask dream was never originally intended...

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Zero_ said:
    " I doubt it'd be character models, but a simple text exchange or something like "You saw two guys sitting on a couch playing video games" when you check out the TV or something. "
    So you're saying Giant Bomb will have their own TV show!?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By mutha3
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @mutha3 said:
    " @Tuggah:  

*facepalm*Uh....no, Atlus USA doesn't translate the game in English for Japan. "
    Who said anything about Atlus USA or the English language? At the time of Tuggah's post, no one. There were references to Atlus USA, but they were referred to as "Atlus", so how would Tuggah have known? The first mention of localization came after Tuggah's post. "
    Common sense.
    Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#91  Edited By Seroth

I don't know why I'm posting in this super month-old post, but I'd say there's an okay chance that there's an Endurance Run reference in the English localization of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5. 

I'm sure the Twilight reference and stuff like "Epic Fail" weren't in the Japanese version of Persona 4. If I run into an NPC named "Charlie Tunoku" in Persona 5, I will be quite pleased. 

allhailthetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By allhailthetv
    @Seroth said:
    I'm sure the Twilight reference and stuff like "Epic Fail" weren't in the Japanese version of Persona 4."
    Don't forget how Ai asks you if you're "butthurt." Damn, I love Atlus USA's localizations!
    dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By dantey
    @Computerplayer1 said:
    " As highly unlikely to nearly impossible as it may be....  I would giggle like a school girl for weeks on end. 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#94  Edited By WickedCestus

Just if there's a nightclub with a couch and two dudes on it, name them Jeff and Vinny. That's all they have to do, and I will cry tears of joy. 

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#95  Edited By takua108
    @Seroth said:

" I don't know why I'm posting in this super month-old post, but I'd say there's an okay chance that there's an Endurance Run reference in the English localization of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.  I'm sure the Twilight reference and stuff like "Epic Fail" weren't in the Japanese version of Persona 4. If I run into an NPC named "Charlie Tunoku" in Persona 5, I will be quite pleased.  "

Uh... what was the Twilight reference in Persona 4? Did I miss that? 

EDIT: Never mind, found it:  

"When you become close enough friends with Daisuke, he will invite you on a Sunday outing to hang out. On one of these outings, you will be given a book "Witch Detective" Which you can read at home on your couch. When reading, a reference to the book series "Twilight" Appears. It reads as follows."

A ploddingly written romantic novel about a girl in her first day of school in her now town; vampires are involved. The content of this book was almost physically painful for you to read.    

Was this encountered in the Endurance Run? If so, which episode? :V 
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Sarumarine
    @takua108 said:

" @Seroth said:

" I don't know why I'm posting in this super month-old post, but I'd say there's an okay chance that there's an Endurance Run reference in the English localization of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.  I'm sure the Twilight reference and stuff like "Epic Fail" weren't in the Japanese version of Persona 4. If I run into an NPC named "Charlie Tunoku" in Persona 5, I will be quite pleased.  "

Uh... what was the Twilight reference in Persona 4? Did I miss that? "
    It shows up in one of the books you can buy from the book store. When you sit down to read it, the game gives you a prompt like... 

"A ploddingly written romantic novel about a girl in her first day of school in her now town; vampires are involved. The content of this book was almost physically painful for you to read."
    Leevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Leevz

They might refrence the ER by naming a character who joins your party Charlie Tunoku

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98  Edited By wrighteous86

Jeff and Vinny will be in an alley, getting some "leaves" from their friend, The Fox.

monkeyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By monkeyninja
    He could be on the track team.  That way he could be Endurance Running Student. 

@MattyFTM said:
    " It might be feasible to have a random character called Charlie Tunoku. But it would only be in the English language versions. I doubt the developers know much about the Endurance Run. They might know of it's existence, but that'll be about it. Atlus USA probably know a lot about it though, so they could probably add in a nod to the ER in the localization process. "
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By imsh_pl

Vinny's amazing commodities

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.