Do you think we'll see Persona 5 anytime soon?

#1 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

I mean Persona 3 and 4 were released a little over a year apart, but its been over 2 years since the last persona game and we don't even have an announcement.

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (16020 posts) -

I dunno, but hopefully.

#3 Posted by strikeAG (14 posts) -

Quote from SankakuComplex.com - May 26, 2010

The mysterious appearance of a “Shin Megami Tensei: Persona” entry in an official Australian classification database, with the platform specified as PS3, has caused a great deal of consternation amongst Persona fans hoping for a belated Persona PS3 debut.

The page in question

Speculation ranges from some kind of mistake with a PSP title (although the database stands unamended), to a remastered release of an earlier title (though only 3 and 4 carry the “Shin Megami Tensei” label), or the long sought release of Persona 5, itself previously rumoured. The lack of numbering only adds to the confusion.

Clarification can probably be expected at E3.

Seems like there could be good news coming. I had better work on finally finishing P4  ...and getting a PS3.
#4 Posted by Pox22 (343 posts) -

It's been essentially announced.  What system(s) it'll be on has not.

#5 Posted by hai2u (322 posts) -

i predict a Japan release in 2011 and NA in 2012

#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

#7 Posted by Blair (2513 posts) -

I could see (and would love) a Holiday 2010 release in Japan and a Q2 2011 NA release.

#8 Posted by thekingoftoilets (194 posts) -

Yea, Most def. Prolly in the next year or so, is my guess.

#9 Posted by DystopiaX (5335 posts) -
@Pox22 said:
" It's been essentially announced.  What system(s) it'll be on has not. "
It has been announced. Release Dates/US release at all have not been announced, although I'm willing to bet we'll get the game, it's popular enough.
#10 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -

One can dream....one can dream.

#11 Posted by Pox22 (343 posts) -

I hope I won't have to buy a PS3 to play it, but a 360 release is probably a bit too much to ask for.

#12 Edited by Rapid (1380 posts) -

I sort of have mixed feelings about Persona 5 in that I want it to come out as soon as possible, BUT part of me wants to give the give the developers time to further innovate and 'improve' the game. For one flush out aspects of the game like the Social Links, like right now it's really just reading text and selecting an option... RANK UP. I like to see them doing some more with game-play. It's probably going to be a great game either way.  I just hope it's not just like "hey Persona 5 is just persona 4 but with a different cast and story on the PS3 and 360".  

#13 Posted by PenguinDust (12558 posts) -
@strikeAG:   There is a lot of confusion about that listing as it has said PS3 and PSP, so I'm not convinced anything it suggests is correct.  Either way, I hope we'll learn more this fall at TGS.   

The last report I heard earlier this year was that they were getting underway with the game.  Taking earlier rumors into account, I guess that meant they were done with pre-production and were now onto the programming, animation, sound, etc...part of the development.  Either way, I don't think anyone will have it in their hands before late 2011 with an international version out in 2012. 
#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@strikeAG said:
"

Quote from SankakuComplex.com - May 26, 2010

The mysterious appearance of a “Shin Megami Tensei: Persona” entry in an official Australian classification database, with the platform specified as PS3, has caused a great deal of consternation amongst Persona fans hoping for a belated Persona PS3 debut.

The page in question

Speculation ranges from some kind of mistake with a PSP title (although the database stands unamended), to a remastered release of an earlier title (though only 3 and 4 carry the “Shin Megami Tensei” label), or the long sought release of Persona 5, itself previously rumoured. The lack of numbering only adds to the confusion.

Clarification can probably be expected at E3.

Seems like there could be good news coming. I had better work on finally finishing P4  ...and getting a PS3. "
That's not related to P5.

I doubt we'll learn much from it until late 2010, early 2011.
#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

The last announcement about it was that they were preparing to start work on it. So, it basically depends on how ambitious they're going to be with it. If they are bringing it to PS3 and/or Xbox 360, chances are we won't see it for a long while yet. If they're doing it on PS2 or PSP, we might see it sooner.

#16 Posted by strikeAG (14 posts) -

On one hand, it's a shame that the Aus. Classification entry isn't  SMT:P5 news, but on the other, it means I get more time to get a decent price for a PS3 ...and y'know, Australians finally get a PS1 PSN release. Goddamn lack of Australian digital media.

Yet another title swaying me into trading in the 360...

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@strikeAG: We don't know what console(s) Persona 5 is going to be released on.  Wait up before doing something like selling your 360 for a PS3 and finding out later on that Persona 5 is coming out on the Wii or the PSP.
#18 Posted by subrandom (117 posts) -

If anything is happening with P5 atlus will let everyone know many many months before it comes out. They have become really good about getting the word out and pushing press releases super early. We can only hope that they start pushing some info about it but considering it's got to be the best selling SMT series i can't imagine they are done.

#19 Posted by strikeAG (14 posts) -

Not meaning to derail the thread or anything but yeah, 360 => PS3 isn't a light decision. A good 400-500$ decision some might say. However, aside from Mass Effect/Geometry Wars/Megaman X, the 360 just doesn't have the exclusives that pique my interest. P5 being on the Wii, however unlikely, would be the cherry on the Metroid/SH:Shattered Memories sundae. 

Besides, slightly more on topic, despite the recent SMT DS games, Atlus seems pretty keen on publishing it's bigger titles on the PS. 

#20 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

I'm thinking a 2011 release date. 

#21 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@Pox22: I read somewhere that it was gunna be on the PS3
#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @Pox22: I read somewhere that it was gunna be on the PS3 "
Rumors.  Speculations.  Lies.  Whatever your source is, it's not been officially announced by the company making the game.
#23 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'd rather they took a quick break and made some Digital Devil Saga type spinoffs for a bit.

#24 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Yeah but isn't it kind of obvious it will be released on the PS3 and that the speculation comes from rather or not it'll be released on the XBOX as well?
#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @FluxWaveZ: Yeah but isn't it kind of obvious it will be released on the PS3 and that the speculation comes from rather or not it'll be released on the XBOX as well? "
No, it's not obvious.  That's why there's so much discussion on the subject. 

Atlus has never developed a game for the PS3 yet.  They released Persona 4 on the PS2, even when it had been 2 years since the current generation had started.  Persona 4 still sold a lot on a console from last gen.  They have a tendency in being conservative in some aspects like their resources and they've recently made 2 Persona games, ports, for the PSP and have done 2 games for the Nintendo DS.   

At this point, Persona 5 turning out to be a 3DS game wouldn't surprise me.  We can't assume that it will be on the PS3 quite yet.
#26 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: They have been kind of a sony publisher though for awhile now, just saying itd make sense that it would get released on the PS3
#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @FluxWaveZ: They have been kind of a sony publisher though for awhile now, just saying itd make sense that it would get released on the PS3 "
The game was also announced in the magazine "Dengeki Playstation", so it definitely will release on a Sony platform (that doesn't exclude other platforms).  Which one that is remains to be seen.
#28 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: You basically just said exactly what I was saying
#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @FluxWaveZ: You basically just said exactly what I was saying "  

1. PSP
  2. PS2
  3. PSP2 (if the rumors hold true)

Possibilities that do not include the PS3.
#30 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Doubt its only getting released on the PSP or PS2 considering its a major release in that series
#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" @FluxWaveZ: Doubt its only getting released on the PSP or PS2 considering its a major release in that series "
Like I said, Atlus is conservative in many ways.  You doubt it, but that doesn't exclude the possibility.  Their resources have been reused in countless ways throughout all of their titles and they've never been truly stunning.  We'll see.
#32 Posted by sagesebas (2004 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Gunna say this now itll only get released on the PS3 initially
#33 Posted by Ketch (32 posts) -

I think the psp is a big contender to get the game considering P3P sold well.

#34 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

I really hope it's announced at this years Tokyo Game Show. It would also be nice if it was for both the PS3 and Xbox 360.

#35 Posted by DonutFever (3554 posts) -

TGS Announcement?

#36 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

2011 probably... but how cool would 2010 Christmas be?!

#37 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

I hope so and i would think we will but my only problem is I could see it being a psp or a ds game and i really want a current gen(ps3 &xbox360) game but most rpgs are staying away from that and making games on psp and ds.
#38 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

Persona 5 PS3 exclusive.  Male and Female main characters.  Japan release date Spring 2011.  Everywhere else Fall/Winter 2011.  Done.

#39 Posted by TwoLines (2819 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
" Persona 5 PS3 exclusive.  Male and Female main characters.  Japan release date Spring 2011.  Everywhere else Fall/Winter 2011.  Done. "
That's pretty much spot-on.
#40 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
  • Persona 5 PS3 Exclusive
  • Male character only
  • Japan release date: Fall 2011
  • North America: Winter 2011/2012

That is my prediction guided solely by intuition.  Eager to see how it all turns out.
#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

i sure hope not :P tired of the pointless endurance runs taking time and space

#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i sure hope not :P tired of the pointless endurance runs taking time and space "
Who says they would do an Endurance Run of it?  I'm certain they wouldn't do an Endurance Run of a Deadly Premonition 2, so it could be the same for the sequel of Persona 4.
#43 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

TGS starts in 3 days, I'm sure we will be hearing about it! 

2011 seems spot on, you have to remember Persona 4 came out 3 years ago in Japan so they've had quite a lot of time. A PS3 release is definitely plausible as they obviously have an engine that runs on it. (Catherine)

Edit: I think Persona 3 came out just a year before 4 too.

• PS3 and 360 release
  • 2011 in Japan, possibly soon after in the west (definitely if it's on 360)
  • Choice of genders

My speculations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.