Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

game play changes that should be added to persona 5?

• 71 results
    zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zaldar

So I don't think there is anyone anywhere who would not agree that persona 4 had massive gameplay improvements over persona 3 (if there is please don't say so so I don't have to hit you). The addition of player control over all party members alone was a beautiful addition (and was the only reason the game was any easier really). So what gameplay improvements would people like to see in five? For one I would like to have some sort of indication of how close you are to going up on things like courage and academics...more info there would be nice. One thing that doesn't need to change is the turnbased combat..leave that alone please!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mtcantor

@zaldar said:

So I don't think there is anyone anywhere who would not agree that persona 4 had massive gameplay improvements over persona 4 (if there is please don't say so so I don't have to hit you). The addition of player control over all party members alone was a beautiful addition (and was the only reason the game was any easier really). So what gameplay improvements would people like to see in five? For one I would like to have some sort of indication of how close you are to going up on things like courage and academics...more info there would be nice. One thing that doesn't need to change is the turnbased combat..leave that alone please!

No way man. Persona 4 was way too similar to Persona 4.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Person Shooter.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaldar

ok ok sorry I meant persona 3 geez...changed...and turning a great rpg into an fps..troll much do you?

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By punisherkaos

A fighting game?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam

take out the dungeons.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By evanbower

@killacam said:

take out the dungeons.

Haha Stop being provocative. Just once?

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadyPingu

A faster way to pick your skills while fusing.

Instead of having to reroll to get what I want, I'd rather just be able to choose my skills, probably with some kind of valuation system to keep it balanced (e.g., a fuse has a total of , say, 20 skill points, and different skills eat up different portions of that limit based on how good they are.) They could even implement such a system in addition to the current way, for people who don't mind rerolling for that perfect set.

Hell, I'd even take a more convenient variation on the current way, like a big button that says REROLL. Having to back out of the fuse and select it again is dumb.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By landon

Scanning the enemy should be automatic.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coakroach

Select skills when fusing, maybe a bit more spell variety like they had in Persona 2 (more elements, each element having a mudo equivalent etc.).

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Encephalon said:

Instead of having to reroll to get what I want, I'd rather just be able to choose my skills, probably with some kind of valuation system to keep it balanced (e.g., a fuse has a total of , say, 20 skill points, and different skills eat up different portions of that limit based on how good they are.) They could even implement such a system in addition to the current way, for people who don't mind rerolling for that perfect set.

Hell, I'd even take a more convenient variation on the current way, like a big button that says REROLL. Having to back out of the fuse and select it again is dumb.

I agree on the reroll button, but the choose your skill thing would let it be too similar to another SMT game, which i forgot the name. I think it was Devil Survivor... But i'm not sure.
    autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By autumn_thunder

@MikeGosot said:

@Encephalon said:

I agree on the reroll button, but the choose your skill thing would let it be too similar to another SMT game, which i forgot the name. I think it was Devil Survivor... But i'm not sure.

You're thinking of P4 the Golden, which they're totally bringing it into.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UncleClassy

Every social link should end with a rank 10 sexual encounter.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Hunter5024

Switching party members on the fly ala Final Fantasy X. Pretty lame being forced to use only 4 of them in a game that revolves so much around the characters and their relationships with one another, the gameplay should reflect that.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Landon said:

Scanning the enemy should be automatic.

Maybe not automatic, but definitely something a bit less tedios than it currently is. Maybe of some kind of interesting gameplay hook rather than just "don't forget to push this extra button."

@coakroach said:

Select skills when fusing, maybe a bit more spell variety like they had in Persona 2 (more elements, each element having a mudo equivalent etc.).

I wouldn't want more elements, but I like your idea about variety. Maybe make the elements more differentiated rather than just copies of each other my a different name. Maybe attacks would work different depending on what element you were using.

@UncleClassy said:

Every social link should end with a rank 10 sexual encounter.

... Agreed.

@Hunter5024 said:

Pretty lame being forced to use only 4 of them in a game that revolves so much around the characters and their relationships with one another, the gameplay should reflect that.

I like your point, but I'm not sure I would like having 8 (or whatever number) characters to juggle. It would be nice though if the other characters progressed along with your party though so that if you so desired you could change things up without having to go back and grind them up to the appropriate levels. Maybe some combat tie-ins for special attacks or the like that use the other characters too would be interesting

As for my own suggestion - Combat effects relationships.

If I'm a bastard and always let you die in battle, you get upset with me. If I, as the lead character, am always laying waste to everyone and not letting other party members get in on the action, then my party is irritated. If I steal someone else's place, as in use bufu when another party member is my bufu expert, they feel wronged because I'm not utilizing their talents. It would make battles way more complex as you'd have to balance survival and effectiveness against variety and team characteristics. That would be a lot to balance, but hell, Persona is nothing if not complex.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Garfield518

Non-shitty dungeons.

Bland corridor crawling should be a thing of the past.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Cross it over with the Saints Row universe.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmilingPig

They need to bring back the gun to the head for summon from 3.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Have what happens in the social links effect the way people react in the rest of the game. For example, me dating Chie was completely ignored outside the social link. Characters would act as if we weren't dating which I found very annoying.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By ChadMasterFlash
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
    First Person Shooter.
    Agreed. With a heavy emphasis on multiplayer run and gun shooting. Also quick scoping.
    projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By projectino

@Garfield518 said:

Non-shitty dungeons.

Bland corridor crawling should be a thing of the past.

This so much...

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By damswedon

@ChadMasterFlash said:

First Person Shooter.
    Agreed. With a heavy emphasis on multiplayer run and gun shooting. Also quick scoping.

If this means the return of the evoker then I'm sold.

Think about it a first person shooter where the only person you shoot is yourself.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dixavd

@zaldar said:

So I don't think there is anyone anywhere who would not agree that persona 4 had massive gameplay improvements over persona 3 (if there is please don't say so so I don't have to hit you). The addition of player control over all party members alone was a beautiful addition (and was the only reason the game was any easier really). So what gameplay improvements would people like to see in five? For one I would like to have some sort of indication of how close you are to going up on things like courage and academics...more info there would be nice. One thing that doesn't need to change is the turnbased combat..leave that alone please!

Wait Persona 4 allowed you to controll all the party members? Suddenly I don't want to play 4. I loved the hell out of Persona 3 and was planning on eventually playing 4 but the idea that I get to controll all of them really doesn't appeal to me (as absurd as that may seem). If I had it the way I wanted then the other party members would choose their own actions and what they did would be determined by the relationship to the player (if they really trust them then they may not heal themselves expecting the player to, or they might put protective spells on the player etc...). I really like the idea of the player actually just being a single person and the others do whatt they want but it isn't random so the player can slowly teach a play style into his teammates and make them cooporate more. I really feel that when you could only decide the choices of the main characters Persona then it really made the connection to that persona feel more significant and impactful, while I really like other battle systems which allow you control of every person (such as my favourite FFX), I really feel the lack of controll of other characters builds a stronger intimacy between the player, player character and the player's persona.

I'm probably in the minority on this one and maybe when I do get around to playing Persona 4 myself then my opinion will change, but right now it feels like on the the most appealing and unique parts of this series compared to lots of other JRPG combat.

I would also add to the game more bonuses for social links at certain levels (rather than the current ones of mostly the only real reward is when it is maxed out and tiny ones before that) such as discounting costs for buying already unlocked persona of that social link type, or adding varients of abilities to the plaers arsenal (or to specific persona such as possible the starting Persona being able to change as your social links grow where it will never be the strongest and each type but does learn mixes of abilities from each). That way I would hope it would take away a little from the grindiness of doing the sidequests just to max it out over time as there would be rewards for only getting it part way (and so it doesn't negatively affect players who want to experiment with different social links and side quest characters as much).

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By me3639

Eject button.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@Dixavd said:

@zaldar said:

Wait Persona 4 allowed you to controll all the party members? Suddenly I don't want to play 4. I loved the hell out of Persona 3 and was planning on eventually playing 4 but the idea that I get to controll all of them really doesn't appeal to me (as absurd as that may seem). If I had it the way I wanted then the other party members would choose their own actions and what they did would be determined by the relationship to the player (if they really trust them then they may not heal themselves expecting the player to, or they might put protective spells on the player etc...). I really like the idea of the player actually just being a single person and the others do whatt they want but it isn't random so the player can slowly teach a play style into his teammates and make them cooporate more. I really feel that when you could only decide the choices of the main characters Persona then it really made the connection to that persona feel more significant and impactful, while I really like other battle systems which allow you control of every person (such as my favourite FFX), I really feel the lack of controll of other characters builds a stronger intimacy between the player, player character and the player's persona.

I'm probably in the minority on this one and maybe when I do get around to playing Persona 4 myself then my opinion will change, but right now it feels like on the the most appealing and unique parts of this series compared to lots of other JRPG combat.

I would also add to the game more bonuses for social links at certain levels (rather than the current ones of mostly the only real reward is when it is maxed out and tiny ones before that) such as discounting costs for buying already unlocked persona of that social link type, or adding varients of abilities to the plaers arsenal (or to specific persona such as possible the starting Persona being able to change as your social links grow where it will never be the strongest and each type but does learn mixes of abilities from each). That way I would hope it would take away a little from the grindiness of doing the sidequests just to max it out over time as there would be rewards for only getting it part way (and so it doesn't negatively affect players who want to experiment with different social links and side quest characters as much).

You don't have to control the P4 party members. You can leave them under the control of the AI if you want.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dixavd

@Hailinel: Oh OK, cool thanks. I've been trying to stay away from most Persona 4 stuff (including the Endurance Run of it) until I finally get around to playing it so seeing that information there caught me off guard as I had no information against it. Thanks for clearing that up, I have nothing against it if I have the option to play it like the previous games (just like I don't mind JRPG's putting in active battle mechanics like when they put it into FF VI as long as I could if I wished played it like the normal system, unless they specifically built the game system for tht new gameplay). So I wouldn't mind that moving forward into 5 (heck, I wouldn't mind them bringing only that battle system forward and removing the old one if it fit a new system that they built around it solely for 5).

Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gringus

@damswedon said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

First Person Shooter.

If this means the return of the evoker then I'm sold.

Think about it a first person shooter where the only person you shoot is yourself.

That is totally a perfect indie game idea! LOL.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Tylea002
    • All voiced and animated
    • Cohesion between Social/Battle
    • Automatic Scanning, it should be a window that pops up every time.
    • Steak Challenge II.
    killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By killacam

@evanbower said:

@killacam said:

take out the dungeons.

Haha Stop being provocative. Just once?

you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mtcantor

Choice of player character at the start (Male/Female) with different social links, etc.

Faster load times.

Optional sidequets/secret characters.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Cathryn

P3 things I'd like back: Evoker head shooting, schedule (I preferred dungeon crawling late at night to during the after school time), not paying to heal SP. Advancements I'd like to see: Choice of Male or female MC with modified social links a la P3P, fully voiced S.links (including non-party members), better enemy scanning, better load times.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Make it real time, all Animal Crossing style.

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kear

I'd like more to do in town. Also, there are 2 things I would like to return from P3; the 3 different types of physical damage, and having some different costumes for the characters.

dogman795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dogman795

They should add gay romantic social links. I'd probably never pick them, but having the option would be good. Like if you had been able to be in a relationship with Kanji in P4, I bet a lot of people would have chosen that.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#35  Edited By DonutFever

S-Links with main characters should effect dialogue during the story, the endings, and gameplay (guy who hates you earns less XP than guy who likes you, etc.). That would be great.

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By yami4ct

I honestly don't want too much. Better dungeons and minor tweaks here and there for fusing would be great. Also, no whether based dungeons, please. Maybe a better way to know character schedules as well. I'd love to be able to pull up a calendar in the game that shows what social links and special events are available on certain days and maybe upcoming school functions. Anything to help me plan my social link schedule better. I'd also love for the game to have a less strict schedule for maxing links. I don't want to be forced to stick to a guide in order to see all the links. Having links actually be acknowledged as the story went on seems like a must add as well.

One social function I'd really want to see added would be the ability to do group link events. If I can get all the character's schedules synced, I should be able to go out together and improve all their links. They shouldn't all need to be one on one. Of course, you'd need a certain amount of one on one time for a romance link to trigger. I really feel this'd break up the linking nicely.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By zaldar

@ChadMasterFlash: man the trolling is really getting annoying....why are some people such bastards..?

Skiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skiiv

I'd like the social links to have a much bigger effect on the game.Like maybe the story could change depending on your S.links or how strong the S.links are has an effect on your character and not just for fusing

KawaiiInbou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KawaiiInbou

@dogman795: This would be great! It can only be a good thing to accommodate as many options as possible, and if they went on the same route as Dragon Age 2, it would mean they could allow the player to choose their character's gender without having to worry about changing too many of the S-Links.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By donchipotle

Take out Social Links and don't set it in high school.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

@Tylea002 said:

• All voiced and animated

Goodness, please yes. We are not cavemen anymore. I think we can handle the MC having a voice.

I'd also like to see the P3P idea continued and a choice between a male or female lead offered the player each with different storylines and social links.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@BrockNRolla said:

If I'm a bastard and always let you die in battle, you get upset with me. If I, as the lead character, am always laying waste to everyone and not letting other party members get in on the action, then my party is irritated. If I steal someone else's place, as in use bufu when another party member is my bufu expert, they feel wronged because I'm not utilizing their talents. It would make battles way more complex as you'd have to balance survival and effectiveness against variety and team characteristics. That would be a lot to balance, but hell, Persona is nothing if not complex.

This, but maybe not so extreme.

If you repeatedly let a party member die, or play stupidly risky like leaving them on practically zero HP to get the final blow on an enemy, it should slowly eat away at the S.link progress. At the same time, if the MC had features similar to party members in P4, I.E, once per battle you can block an attack against someone or wake them up, that should add to the progress.

Its just the little things outside of the big 'YO LETS GO TALKING ABOUT MY ISSUES' setups that'd really sell me on the persona series relationship side.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SlightConfuse

let me continue fighting if the Mc dies,, i hated that about thelast 2 games

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Zripwud

I'd like if not every character was a love interest. I was saddened that Naoto and Kanji didn't got together. I'd love to see other characters falling in love with each other and maybe that having an effect on combat.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sploder

Maxed and unfinished social links should carry over into new game plus.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Benny

Some of the choices made throughout the game should alter how a social link progresses rather than simply levelling it up. For example if you are aggressive towards the 'tower' social link it could grow in such a way that tower personae gain bonuses to attack power. I feel social links are mechanical and it's almost like you have no control or influence on it.
    I know this goes against the idea of a friendship bond that strengthens you but social links feel a little robotic to me and surely strong feelings of any kind could strengthen personae.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mcfart

@Dixavd said:

@zaldar said:

All your party members are injured, but only one in below 80%. You're fighting the final boss and you're worried that a critical hit or strong attack could wipe out your party.

Yukari casts Diarama instead of Mediarama

FUCK

Plus party members always used the shitty potions instead of the good ones (if they don't have healing spells)

Kankohii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kankohii

Persona 4 Golden's Shuffle Time and Velvet Room improvements are a must for P5.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By imsh_pl

-Select skills which pass after fusion. We ALL know that for every persona that mattered we would reroll again and again, just to have the few desired skills. It just adds 3 minutes to every new persona you want to fuse and is completely unnecessary.

-At least some kind of incentive to change party members. There are many ways it could be implemented. They could give the off party members like 70% of exp, but never allow them to have 10 levels less than your weakest party member, for example. Or give them even more exp, but increase the chance of crazy strong items drops for your party members. Leveling your party members could also lead to getting closer to them in their s links. I just wish I had an incentive to use the idle members and get their s links but I don't want to spend 2 hours grinding levels with them.

-A weekly timetable which displays who is available at what day, accessible from the s link menu. Also some note system with remainders.

-More voice acting!

-New personas and enemies! Leave the iconic ones in, but I don't really want to have the same guys fight against the same guys for 3 games straight! At least one new enemy per floor!

-New skills! Two new elements would be nice, that way you would have the incentive to change party members. Also some enemies should be vulnerable to status ailments because nobody really uses them, they just drain SP and bosses don't give a damn about them anyway.

-Moar graphics!

-Make the boss battles more interesting. Don't let every battle be attack>guard huge beam>heal>repeat. Maybe some kind of positioning mechanic? A party member can move and attack one turn to exploit an enemy's weakness? Surprise me!

-Better fetch quests. That means no 'bring me shit from the dungeon' 'cause I won't even bother to look through every dungeon just to bring you a motherfucking polished horn. Make them 'bring me this item from this guy in town who is only available then'. You'll have more incentive to explore the town.

-Maybe some use for your understanding/courage/diligence etc. in dungeons? Like, you can explore a hidden area/open special risky chests (which can have powerful enemies inside) if you have more courage? In-dungeon NPCs which react to your attributess, say, a demon which will speak to you and give you a cool item if you have enough etiquette? I feel like the attributes are underused.

-Bring back the 'split party' mechanic! Useful for grinding. They could make it so you have to defeat the mid boss to split your party at lower levels, and then the main boss to split them on higher levels because your members fear that they will get beaten if you just split them in an unexplored area.

modedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By modedude

Reduce the length of dungeons, they always feel like the parts that drag on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.