Is it too late for Persona 5?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by Photomic (42 posts) -

With the general consensus being that the new console generation is starting this November, and Persona 5 already being announced for this generation, is it too late? I can't see P5 being a launch title and they took so long to release Catherine, have the Persona team left it too late to properly show the next Persona game and release it wile everyone cares about this generation? I know P4 was released quite late into the hardware cycle, but this may be too late, in my eyes.

#2 Edited by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

I don't think so, Persona 4 was really late for PS2 (like I think we were sometime into PS3 at that point) and that turned out pretty good.

#3 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11423 posts) -

Persona 4 came out for the PS2 no less than a full 2 years after the PS3 had launched. Just saying.

#4 Edited by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

There are a lot of Xbox 360s and Playstation 3s out there. Just sayin'.

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

No because the new consoles will not sell anywhere near the amount of current gen consoles out there for a long time. There's still a huge install base.

I'm pretty sure I read some analysts are predicting doom for the next consoles so we'll see how that plays out. Can't say I'd be shocked if they didn't sell well.

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

Noooooope

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

Yeah P3 and P4 came out on PS2 2 and 3 years after the current gen started. I don't think this is an issue for Atlus.

#8 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1018 posts) -

It's never too late for any Persona games.

#9 Posted by Flappy (2114 posts) -

Atlus knows what they're doing. Unless all of our current machines burst into flames upon the arrival of the Next-Gen consoles, there will be a much larger audience of 360/PS3 users.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

No.

#11 Posted by Dynablade (166 posts) -

@Photomic: No it's not too late. As you were saying Persona 4 released near the end of the PS2's relevance, which was after the two year anniversary of the PS3. Bottom-line it could still come out on the PS3 well after its successor launches, barring some crazy announcements Persona 5 will happen sooner or later.

#12 Posted by golguin (3833 posts) -

No. People are not going to throw away their older consoles. Most people will not have a new console a year after they launch.

#13 Posted by probablytuna (3525 posts) -

I'll still play it. Unless it's crap which I doubt.

#14 Posted by LordAndrew (14419 posts) -

Atlus released three Persona games on the PS2, and every one of them was released while the PS3 was available. I don't see this being a problem.

#15 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Some of the best games ever made for the PS2 came out long after the 360 and the other consoles hit shelves.

Didn't Godhand, Okami, God of War 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Persona 3/ 4 come out after 2006?

Granted, the PS3 is not the PS2 in terms of popularity, but I can see games still being released 3 years from now.

I mean, didn't the NES, SNES, and PS1 all have games that came out years after they were obsolete? There was a fire Emblem game for the Super Famicom that came out in 1999. Thats crazy. The original Playstation had a FIFA game from 2004.

I'd give every console at least 10 years before they are completely forgotten. 3 years until 2016.

Also the art style of the game will more than likely help it not feel aged.

#16 Posted by ch3burashka (4993 posts) -

It's never too late for Persona 5.

People gave Sony shit for their "10 year console", but that's what's going to happen, as it did with the PS2 - the PS4 will come out and co-exist with the PS3.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Noooooope

#18 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yeah, no.

#19 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

I still it is naive that you people think that the next consoles are coming out this year. Even if they do like the rest of the folks here that does not stop them from selling the game on the PS3 whatsoever.

#20 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

P4 came out in december of 2009

#21 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

I still it is naive that you people think that the next consoles are coming out this year. Even if they do like the rest of the folks here that does not stop them from selling the game on the PS3 whatsoever.

So you really think that the next consoles from both Sony and Microsoft will miss this year's holiday season?

#22 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

@Snail: Honestly? Yeah

They are still having lots of console sales at the moment no? i think they will try to push those units the as much as possible also I guess they will try to convince the more "casual people" little by little until they , and not us enthusiast , are the ones who seek out and crave the new consoles.

#23 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

@Snail: Honestly? Yeah

They are still having lots of console sales at the moment no? i think they will try to push those units the as much as possible also I guess they will try to convince the more "casual people" little by little until they , and not us enthusiast , are the ones who seek out and crave the new consoles.

I don't agree. These next consoles will probably be marketed as entertainment hubs, suitable for reading blu-rays, streaming Netflix, etc., effectively acting as home-cinema, a gaming console and a set-top box. That appeals to a broader audience than just people who want to play games. I think the next consoles might sound a whole lot more appealing to "casuals".

The holiday release-windows is a much coveted one, and if only one of these companies makes it there with their next hardware then that company will have a huge boost in sales, and a significant head start. That's why they'll both want to have their next console released by then. Also, the current generation consoles are selling less and less each year.

#24 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

If a Persona game is made, people will look for it.

#25 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

There is no Persona 5 and never will be.

#26 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

If a Persona game is made, people will look for it.

If you build it...

#27 Posted by Efesell (482 posts) -

It's been in development a while, and the engine work was completed...last yearish?

It'll definitely release in Japan if nothing else, and being Atlus USAs most popular thing they'll do everything in their power to see it localized.

#28 Edited by fRAWRst (236 posts) -

No, the team is very comfortable in releasing games for pre gen consoles, where the player/install base is v high

#29 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Yes. They'll probably have to rename it Persona 6.

#30 Posted by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

No, but on some level it bums me out that this is a repeat of what happened with Persona 4. Quality aside, I'd like to see a proper Persona game come during the actual generation and not at the last second. Maybe it won't matter as much anymore since people are already on board from playing Persona 4.

#31 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

If the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, I think they will make a version for it. It will be the exact same game though.

Although it could be a 3DS game by now for all we have heard about it. I hope it comes to the WiiU though, would give me more of a reason to buy a WiiU.

#32 Posted by Morningstar (2128 posts) -

#33 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

It's never too late for some persona-fication action.

#34 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@Nottle: I was just saying that in another thread. Add FF12, the entire Yakuza franchise, Bully. DQ8 came out 1 day before the 360.

A lot of the best PS2 games came out after the generation was 'over.'

#35 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

Never to late, sequel to the greatest game ever, can't fucking wait

#36 Posted by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

Ship it for the 3DS, man!

#37 Posted by jking47 (1207 posts) -

Nope.

#38 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

ITS NEVER TOO LATE FOR PERSONA

#39 Edited by BisonHero (6054 posts) -

<p>&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;div data-embed-type="message-quote"&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;a href="/profile/arbitrarywater/" data-user-slug="arbitrarywater" data-embed-type="mention"&gt;@arbitrarywater&lt;/a&gt; said:&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div data-embed-type="message-quote-content"&gt;&lt;p&gt;Persona 4 came out for the PS2 no less than a full 2 years after the PS3 had launched. Just saying.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;p&gt;It did, but I think that led to it being an underplayed gem that was largely only played by the JRPG faithful. The series is getting good enough that it deserves to be a mainstream crossover hit like XCOM, and Persona games are certainly much more approachable than the obtuse aspects that the regular SMT games have.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I mean, it'll be fine if they launch the game within like the next 12 months (no later than spring 2014), but if it's another "2 years later" scenario, and people have largely put their PS3s in storage, and the PS4/Durango are almost certainly NOT backwards compatible, then Atlus is just limiting the potential market of that game AGAIN.&lt;/p&gt;</p>

Pro tip: Don't edit posts on a mobile browser.

#40 Posted by Hunter5024 (5511 posts) -

The giantbomb crew has this weird perception that the old consoles will cease to exist once the new hardware comes out, but if past generations are any indication, this is far from the truth. The only people who instantly stop supporting the old consoles are first parties.

#41 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@andrewb said:

No!

#42 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

It will be a PS Vita exclusive

#43 Posted by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

@andrewb said:

No!

You have two other reasons why you should have already bought one and should be happy to see another Persona game in that vein!

#44 Posted by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -

Persona 4 was the swan song of the PS2, so I don't think so.

#45 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@andrewb said:

@cloudenvy said:

@andrewb said:

No!

You have two other reasons why you should have already bought one and should be happy to see another Persona game in that vein!

The moment they start shipping Persona games on platforms I don't want is the moment I have to buy platforms I don't want! : (

#46 Edited by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

@cloudenvy: Buuuut you waaaaant a 3DS! You waaaaant~... oh okay, but my worst fear was that it would be PS3 exclusive anyway, and heck if I was ever going to buy a PS3 on top of everything else.

#47 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4906 posts) -

Just because it's not coming out on the newest toybox it doesn't mean it's too late. You can still play games on your PS3, you know, and considering the fact that no one knows how well the PS4 will sell, I think it's a safer bet to put it out on a console which people already have. So no.

#48 Posted by WMoyer83 (624 posts) -

Persona has a very loyal fanbase. They won't abandon a new game just because it is on a older console.

#49 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

10 year cycle

Also, Persona (and to a greater extent, a lot of Atlus stuff) has a pretty loyal fanbase. They aren't going to ignore it if it comes out on the PS3 after the PS4 is out.

#50 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -

It could be possible that Atlus can move development of Persona 5 to work on PS4 but if they don't they are still going to do well on PS3. Sony would need to force Atlus (With Yen) to get it on the PS4 and have it fanbase move to the new system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.