Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

More Persona 5 details

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/31/persona_5_engine/

So, Hashino actually told us more stuff in that article. Apparently, P5 isn't going to use the middleware engine Catherine did-- They built their own goddamn engine. This stuff sounds like music to my ears:

They've solidified the themes they'd like to cover in the game. The staff wants to challenge more new things compared to even Persona 3.

Persona 3/4 are awesome, but especially if you consider the remakes, the calendar system has been worn out to hell and back. The fact that they're looking to shake things up is really satisfying to hear.

However, he warned that he expects a lengthy wait until release.

Hearing this depresses me, though:( 

Next year, I guess.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

WiiU exclusive.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Animasta

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

WiiU exclusive.

(was already announced for PS3)

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas

The calendar system has been worn out? What does that mean? I like the fact that it feels more like real life by taking place over several month and you go to school on mon-sat (like you do in Japan) and such.

How would it work without a calendar? How can Chie tell me to meet her on monday the 13th or something if I don't know what day it is? Of all the things to improve I don't see what could possibly be gained by removing the calandar.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mutha3
    @dagas said:

The calendar system has been worn out? What does that mean? I like the fact that it feels more like real life by taking place over several month and you go to school on mon-sat (like you do in Japan) and such.

How would it work without a calendar? How can Chie tell me to meet her on monday the 13th or something if I don't know what day it is? Of all the things to improve I don't see what could possibly be gained by removing the calandar.

Removing the calender systems means removing EXACTLY that kind of pacing. Its been 3 games now, and a fourth one is on the way, so no, I'd rather see these guys do something new.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nick_verissimo

If they want to take another year or two to get it right than I have no problem with that. Persona 3 and 4 are two of my most cherished games and I'd like to add persona 5 to that list someday.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Cathryn

I'm not sure the calendar system is over-used. I've been saying since immediately after I finished Persona 4 that I felt like that day-to-day format could be done really well one more time (especially now if they provide both a male and female character path right from the start) before it's time to move on to something else. If you think about the history of the series -- three games and then a reboot seems reasonable.

I'm hoping for same format with male and female character paths and fully-voiced S.links.

But who knows, maybe this'll be a complete overhaul. I kind've hope not, though, I'm personally not done with the format and would like to see one more game like P3/4

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

While it has been three games using the calendar system I don't think they should trash it at all. It's one of the defining characteristics of a Persona game to me (granted, the first two didn't have them as far as I know). Initially I didn't like the idea at all but it actually plays rather well in conjunction with the other mechanics. It felt methodical instead of aimless. Getting rid of the calendar/time based system would make it feel like any other JRPG. Time needs to feel like a resource.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I still like the calendar system but if they can create a better system them I'm all for it.

either way, I'm excited to hear more about it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

I love the calendar system. Having played dozens of JRPGs but only finishing a handful, Persona 3 and 4 have absolute perfect pacing in my eyes. The games just give you so many different things to work towards--your level, your personas, your dungeon progress, your social links, your academic stats--that as soon as I got remotely bored with one thing I had so many others to do. I mean, I'd still get the game without it, but there's no real point in changing it.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#11  Edited By DonutFever
    "They've solidified the themes they'd like to cover in the game. The staff wants to challenge more new things compared to even Persona 3." 
    I wonder if this means a reboot, or just adding a lot of new ideas in addition to S. Links, the calendar, etc. I hope the latter. 

I'm going to say a release in early 2013.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah ... time passing gets real stale after a while.  
    Hey fuck you days, get back here.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By benjaebe

More Persona! More! I kind of wonder if they'll do the school thing again or if they'll have older protagonists. They've shown they can tackle some more adult issues (Catherine) so I'd love to see them do a more adult settings, like late college age or older.

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
    deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just imagine this game on the PS3, day one buy.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By metalsnakezero
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By MEATBALL

Wouldn't mind seeing them tackle an older group of characters rather than highschoolers for a change of pace. I enjoyed that element of Catherine for the most part.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By kingzetta

Well of course it's next year, they just announced it.
    This not the Sega Saturn

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust
    @mutha3: Two years at least. Any game that has the right to be called that last at least two years, unless it is built over the predecessor's graphics engine and assets.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yinstarrunner

I love the calendar system. It makes the whole experience more cohesive and immersive. It's one of the best characteristics of P3/P4 IMO.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Vexxan

I like the calender system but I trust Atlus will make a great game no matter what they end up going with. Too bad they're openly saying we'll have to wait a while for the game though :/

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Pie

Why's everybody talking about the calendar? That quote means that they're exploring more story related themes I thought, nothing to do with gameplay 

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By s-a-n-JR

If I had to guess, I'd say a Q2 2013 release date.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
    @Pie: Because in any variation of translation I've seen of that quote, I've never seen them single out story. Here's a more direct translation of the quote rather than a dude paraprashing it:

"the entire team's really enthusiastic about trying even more new challenges than with Persona 3. "

Also, Persona 3 didn't tackle any incredibly unconventional  themes compared to 2 and 4. I'd say P2 and 4 were probably both more unconvential in terms of subject matter. What P3 did do, was turn the entire Persona formula up its head with the inclusion of S-links, a calendar system and a new battle system.  I highly doubt they're referring to the former.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Pie
    @mutha3 said:
    @Pie: Because in any variation of translation I've seen of that quote, I've never seen them single out story. Here's a more direct translation of the quote rather than a dude paraprashing it:  "the entire team's really enthusiastic about trying even more new challenges than with Persona 3. " Also, Persona 3 didn't tackle any incredibly unconventional  themes compared to 2 and 4. I'd say P2 and 4 were probably both more unconvential in terms of subject matter. What P3 did do, was turn the entire Persona formula up its head with the inclusion of S-links, a calendar system and a new battle system.  I highly doubt they're referring to the former.
    Okay.Thanks for replying
    Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sploder

I like the idea of it being set in something other than high school. Maybe the characters could be office workers who are bored with their shit jobs and they find entrances to the other world everywhere and they don't want to leave because it's more exciting. It could be like Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By dagas

Yeah the calandar system has been soooo worn out. I mean TWO games. It's not like cover mechanics or Iron sights that has been in a bazzilion shooters.

I really like the calandar system and going to school in the mornings and such. If they go the traditional RPG route I would be dissapointed. I'm not saying they have to have a time limit on the dungeons and such but for school life with tests and such the calandar system makes sense and without school life Persona is not Persona. To me that is what makes Persona so unique with the normal life stuff. I'd like to see mroe focus on that than the dungeon grind.

I should not that the school setting is probably my favorite anime genre so I am a bit biased towards it. I even played Mana Khemia for the school aspect.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By BoG

@Cathryn said:

I'm not sure the calendar system is over-used. I've been saying since immediately after I finished Persona 4 that I felt like that day-to-day format could be done really well one more time (especially now if they provide both a male and female character path right from the start) before it's time to move on to something else. If you think about the history of the series -- three games and then a reboot seems reasonable.

I'm hoping for same format with male and female character paths and fully-voiced S.links.

But who knows, maybe this'll be a complete overhaul. I kind've hope not, though, I'm personally not done with the format and would like to see one more game like P3/4

I feel the same way. Having dedicated over 100 hours to both Persona 3 and 4, I would expect the concept to be dull by now. I still love it, and I would absolutely love to see them use the 3/4 formula one more time before radical change with Persona 6. Of course, I've only played 3 and 4, and it's hard to imagine Persona without the calendar elements.

As you said, it's essential that we be given male and female paths with fully voiced S. Links. Though I'll only ever play through one path way, I think we will all feel cheated if they reserve a female lead for a PS Vita game or something. As for the voices, it's acceptable not to have them in a PS2 game, but for the first next-gen installment of this blossoming franchise, it's essential.

As for a release date, I doubt it will be early 2013 as some have said. Building an engine is a time consuming process. I'm very excited that they're doing this, it should mean a better game, but it also means a long wait. My guess is Q4 2013 is the earliest possible release window for the game.

I hope we get some more info at TGS this year.

EDIT: WAIT A SECOND THIS THREAD IS OLD.

I feel so dumb.

Avatar image for quick_stop_chad
    Quick_Stop_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quick_Stop_Chad

i really hope they stick with on gender for the main character as much as Id like to have a choice i think it would be too much for the writers and stuff with as much shit that goes on in a Persona game having to take into account the gender would be a lot of work for a game like this.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zripwud

That's true. It would mean a lot more of work and time that they could use to improve on other aspects.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.