Official Persona 5 Domain Possibly Registered

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

According to a WHOIS domain lookup concerning the site persona5.jp (which is currently acting peculiar), Index Corporation have registered aforementioned domain name as recently as June 25, 2013.

This could potentially be a sign of upcoming news regarding the title, or it could also be some kind of mistake. It could also be that they are registering the domain as a precaution for the future. Who knows, but in any case, it’s a new sign of potential life regarding Persona 5 and it is exciting.

Here is a picture of what is currently displayed on the website (which is to say, not much):

And here is all of the information regarding the Whois domain lookup (note the registrant as being Index corporation):

Domain Information:

[Domain Name] PERSONA5.JP

[Registrant] Index corporation.

[Name Server] dns1.onamae.com

[Name Server] dns2.onamae.com

[Signing Key]

[Created on] 2013/06/25

[Expires on] 2014/06/30

[Status] Active

[Last Updated] 2013/06/25 16:39:27 (JST)

Contact Information:

[Name] Whois Privacy Protection Service by onamae.com

[Email] proxy@whoisprotectservice.com

[Web Page]

[Postal code] 150-8512

[Postal Address] Shibuya-ku

26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho

Cerulean Tower 11F

[Phone] 03-0364-8727

[Fax]

#2 Posted by CosmoKramer (53 posts) -

I wish Atlus wouldn't be in such a weird situation right now. I have hard time getting enthusiastic about this when we don't know if the Persona team will even be able to make this game.

Pretty cool find though.

#3 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Man, I really hope this is for real. It's been far too long since Persona 4.

#4 Posted by Ho_Blivion (65 posts) -

I noticed this in the amazon listing for the Persona 4 artbook and thought it was interesting. Even though they made some sort of announcement of Persona 5 why would they allow that wording in the description for the Persona 4 book.

"Featuring the character designs of Shigenori Soejima! Go behind the scenes of Persona 4, the final game of the landmark Persona series! Inside you''ll find character designs, rough sketches, backgrounds and settings, an exclusive interview with the game''s creators, and more!"

#5 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

ispersona5announced.com notified me about this earlier

#6 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19325 posts) -

@ho_blivion said:

I noticed this in the amazon listing for the Persona 4 artbook and thought it was interesting. Even though they made some sort of announcement of Persona 5 why would they allow that wording in the description for the Persona 4 book.

"Featuring the character designs of Shigenori Soejima! Go behind the scenes of Persona 4, the final game of the landmark Persona series! Inside you''ll find character designs, rough sketches, backgrounds and settings, an exclusive interview with the game''s creators, and more!"

Because Persona 4 is the final game in the mainline Persona franchise? No other has been released after it other than a bunch of ports and Persona 4 Arena.

Or, at least I'm interpreting "final" as the "last released" and not literally as the final game to be released in the mainline series. Maybe it's a miswording.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

@ho_blivion said:

Because Persona 4 is the final game in the mainline Persona franchise? No other has been released after it other than a bunch of ports and Persona 4 Arena.

I'm sure the weird phrasing in the copy attached to the artbook doesn't mean anything, but it's still weird phrasing. "Final" isn't a word that's usually interpreted is "the latest installment," it usually implies that "this is the last one." Regardless, there's not a doubt in my mind that Persona 5 will exist... eventually.

#8 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1238 posts) -

This is awesome. I can't wait.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@ho_blivion said:

Or, at least I'm interpreting "final" as the "last released" and not literally as the final game to be released in the mainline series. Maybe it's a miswording.

Miswording, traslation errors, it could be anything really.
Could also be someone who just decided to go change the describtion based on the weird news about the parent company being in trouble.

I'm sure Atlus would get picked up by somebody else though, especially if they now are working on something else.
That's a better incentive than to pick up a developer working on nothing, right?

#10 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4917 posts) -

PS3 / 360 2017

#11 Posted by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

"Cerulean Tower 11F"

So Persona5.Jp is registered to Misty?

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

Prediction: Persona 5 will be released in 2016 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Jay_Ray (1077 posts) -

I think Persona 5 is taking such a long time because they are going to try and finish the "trilogy" that Arena set up which probably is not easy to do if they introduce a new cast as well as tie in the old crews.

#14 Posted by SilentPredator (130 posts) -

Could be they're just registering it to prevent domain squatters for when the game finally comes out.

#15 Edited by Pageboy (62 posts) -

Excellent start to my day to see this news! Hope we get an official reveal soon. Also hope it's on a console rather than a handheld, but I'll take whatever Atlus gives me.

#16 Edited by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

i can't believe they didn't already have it registered. seems insane that they wouldn't just pick it up ages ago.

#17 Edited by Strife777 (1519 posts) -

I already feel bad for Jeff and Vinny. I can just hear the question and their sighs in response.

I'm also very excited.

#18 Posted by RVonE (4623 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

"Cerulean Tower 11F"

So Persona5.Jp is registered to Misty?

Nice!

#19 Posted by Alastir (7 posts) -

My god! Time to wait 4 years to bought a new game for PS3 :D I hope that goes in the line of P2 or P3, P4 and Golden is too ... "happiness"

#20 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

If it gets announced this year it will be either released this or early next year. Persona 4 was announced back in April and was already 80% or so done.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

Awwwww yeah, son! This is what I'm talkin about.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/f297L.gif

Though, to be honest, I'm kind of surprised they hadn't already registered this domain before now.

#22 Edited by wemibelec90 (1621 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

If we're lucky. Wouldn't be too surprised to see it on 3DS or, less likely the Vita, with Atlus' recent focus on handheld stuffs.

#23 Edited by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

@mooseymcman said:

If we're lucky. Wouldn't be too surprised to see it on 3DS or, less likely the Vita, with Atlus' recent focus on handheld stuffs.

They had hinted a while back that they were in the early stages of Persona 5, and I imagine that was planned for the PS3. So, my guess would be that they're retooling it for a PS4 release, as per Final Fantasy Versus's transformation into Final Fantasy XV for the PS4.

#24 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -
#25 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -
#26 Posted by wemibelec90 (1621 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@mooseymcman said:

They had hinted a while back that they were in the early stages of Persona 5, and I imagine that was planned for the PS3. So, my guess would be that they're retooling it for a PS4 release, as per Final Fantasy Versus's transformation into Final Fantasy XV for the PS4.

If it comes to consoles, I would actually expect it on last-gen, even if it won't be out for a year or two. They did the same thing with Persona 4 on the PS2. Why would they waste time on a new system when they already know how to develop for 360 and PS3 thanks to Catherine?

#27 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@mooseymcman said:

If it comes to consoles, I would actually expect it on last-gen, even if it won't be out for a year or two. They did the same thing with Persona 4 on the PS2. Why would they waste time on a new system when they already know how to develop for 360 and PS3 thanks to Catherine?

I've definitely heard that argument around, and I suppose it is possible. I just get the impression they never got too far with it and probably just decided to retool it for next gen. But then, I agree that it's quite likely they may just try to have it released as one of the last great PS3 titles.

My hope is that they have different plans. ha.

#28 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -

The install base for next gen will not be big enough for Persona 5. While it would most likely be Atlus's best selling game ever, it still will likely be under 1 million units based upon the huge install bases of PS3/360.

#29 Posted by Ennosuke (59 posts) -

My body is ready, but I doubt that the game will be ready soon :D

#30 Posted by FLStyle (4657 posts) -

Come on TGS 2013, don't let me down, show me some sweet P5

#31 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

I'd put a 99 percent chance on it being a handheld, but which one.

Or maybe they go crazy and make it a phone game.

#32 Edited by erhard (399 posts) -

I bet it's going to be a fucking handheld game.

#33 Posted by Spitznock (515 posts) -

It takes a lot to get me genuinely excited for a video game nowadays, but I would be all over a new Persona game.
It's unfortunate to hear about Atlus being in a weird spot (as they're one of my favorite publishers), but to be frank, given the popularity of the Persona series, even if Atlus goes under I'm pretty sure someone else out there would be more than happy to continue funding Persona 5's production.
I highly expect Persona 5 to be a PS3 game once it does come out (and possibly 360 as well, after P4A and all), and given how late Persona 4 was released on the PS2, this shouldn't be a shock to people (though I'm sure it will be anyway..)

#34 Edited by afabs515 (1019 posts) -
@erhard said:

Not as bad as if they come out and announce "Persona 5 will be available on iOS and Android later this year!" SquareEnix toyed with my emotions with that Deus Ex announcement last month :(

#35 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -

@erhard said:

They do still have that 3DS Persona game they announced years ago and haven't said a peep since.

Edit: weird, I can find the game in the database, but the page that my link it trying to send to doesn't exist...

#36 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

#37 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

I want Persona 5 more than I want next gen consoles. Unless it comes on a handheld.

#38 Posted by Cybexx (1165 posts) -

I hope this is actually indicating an announcement. The statement from an Atlas Representative about the Index Corp troubles is that Index Digital Media, Inc. (of which Atlas is a brand label) is unaffected. Atlas has always run a pretty tight ship, which is why they can make a profit on 125k in sales when other companies are talking about 6 million units as under-performing. They know they are niche and they budget around that, they don't expect anything to be a break-out hit, when that does happen it is a bonus, they are not depending on it to finance their next game. Persona 3/4 did well for them, the handheld versions of 3/4 did well for them, Demon Souls did really well, Catherine did well, Persona 4 Arena did well. I imagine Persona 5 is the least likely title they would cut because the franchise and the team have a profitable track record. Worst case scenario is that Index Digital Media is sold to someone else, I think the company themselves would have to be unprofitable before they start heavy cutting not the parent corporation.

There is no question if Persona 5 is in development, it was announced to be in development in an issue of Famitsu in 2011, the question is what year are they targeting for release and what platforms they are targeting. They've already said they are not using the Gamebryo engine they used for Catherine, so they are not dependant on previous tech to determine platform. Japanese companies have been largely targeting handheld platforms due to the Japanese install base and the lower bar for production values. With Shin Megami Tensei 4 being released on 3DS this indicates that they are willing to place sequels to former console-flagship series on handhelds but the Persona series has been focused on PlayStation and Persona 4 Golden is the best selling game on Vita (as far as I've heard). But they've been very success with their one-two-punch of console release followed later by a updated handheld release. My bet is on a 360/PS3 release by the end of next year with a Vita release within two years of that. Unless they are courted by Sony into a PS4 release, because back before Persona 3 came out the franchise wasn't a big deal, now it is big enough to warrant some attention.

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

Nintendo will be the ones to buy Atlus and Persona 5 will be a Wii U exclusive, much to the sadness of everyone involved. This is how it plays out in my nightmares, in any case.

#40 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Bring on the hype!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.