Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Persona 5 confirmed for 2015 North American release

• 71 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

http://atlus.com/persona5/

The official Atlus USA website for Persona 5 just went up and it says that the game will be coming out in 2015 for the PS3 (which also pretty much confirms that it's not coming out for the Xbox 360).

There's a link to a Youtube video, but it's currently set to private. Might turn out to be the original teaser with some more (proper) English in it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

It's nice to see this confirmed. It was pretty much guaranteed to happen at some point but it's nice to know sooner rather than later.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They'll announce the 360 version. They're owned by SEGA now. SEGA dosen't do platform exclusives (except for the crappy Total War games)

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mcfart: From Kotaku and the english trailer they say it is only for PS3.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mcfart said:

They'll announce the 360 version. They're owned by SEGA now. SEGA dosen't do platform exclusives (except for the crappy Total War games)

Right, mcfart.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

It makes no sense to release it on 360 since 2015 the 360 is totally dead and secondly JRPGs have not sold well on the 360 as well as Atlus last game Catherine which bombed on 360

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Teaser's up:

Loading Video...

Oh, and at this point, people still clinging onto the hope that it's coming to the 360 are delusional. Straight up.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

North American release? Yes. 2015 release? I've my doubts.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@mcfart said:

It makes no sense to release it on 360 since 2015 the 360 is totally dead and secondly JRPGs have not sold well on the 360 as well as Atlus last game Catherine which bombed on 360

The PS3 will be "totally dead" as well, and while your JRPG arguement may be correct, SEGA usually releases everything on everything, so I still think it'll happen. I doubt Sonic Colors did well on the DS, but SEGA still released it there.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By probablytuna

Has it really been three months since the official announcement? Man how time flies...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Welp, now I need to get a PS3.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mcfart said:

The PS3 will be "totally dead" as well, and while your JRPG arguement may be correct, SEGA usually releases everything on everything, so I still think it'll happen. I doubt Sonic Colors did well on the DS, but SEGA still released it there.

Tell me, why has P4AU been announced for the 360 less than an hour ago when it's not a 360 game in Japan, while Persona 5 has only been announced for the PS3?

Some people will tell themselves there'll be a 360 version until the game's on shelves only for the PS3, it seems.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darji

@mcfart said:

@darji said:

@mcfart said:

There are still coming 3 major JRPGs out for PS3 for example. The base will not change much despite that.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY CREATE A FORUM FOR EACH GAME.

yeah, I will probably play P5. Guess I need a PS3

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@fluxwavez said:

@mcfart said:

Tell me, why has P4AU been announced for the 360 less than an hour ago when it's not a 360 game in Japan, while Persona 5 has only been announced for the PS3?

Some people will tell themselves there'll be a 360 version until the game's on shelves only for the PS3, it seems.

Eh, this shouldn't be surprising. Remember all the port begging 360 owners had over MGS4? It wasn't until all that hinky MGS5 business happened that people finally let that go.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Thread", thank you very much. And it's also because when I created this one, the rest of the games hadn't been announced yet so I made them as they came gradually. It's probably also useful to have each one connected to their own forum for reference purposes.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikepopcans said:

"Thread", thank you very much. And it's also because when I created this one, the rest of the games hadn't been announced yet so I made them as they came gradually. It's probably also useful to have each one connected to their own forum for reference purposes.

You're a Thread. And I accept your reasoning's. I will destroy these lawsuit papers.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ilikepopcans said:

You're a Thread.

hahahaha.

Glad that's settled lets go back to talking about how it's not on Xbox.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

i am slave?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps3 only? Not unexpected. I will now go into my time machine. see you guys in 9 months at the jp release.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So let's say Playstation Now is up and in full swing by the time this comes out in 2015, whats the chances I'd be able to play P5 via streaming on PS4? I really don't think I'll still have a PS3 hooked up by then, at least I hoping not to.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So let's say Playstation Now is up and in full swing by the time this comes out in 2015, whats the chances I'd be able to play P5 via streaming on PS4? I really don't think I'll still have a PS3 hooked up by then, at least I hoping not to.

To be honest I expect a PS4 announcement sometime in 2014 or even 2015. Sony has build up some port and localisation studio to make these kind of games exclusiv which would be perfect for this opportunity

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow, didn't realize how bad these forums have become when 80% of the responses to this thread are about how the game isn't coming to xbox (yes I realize I'm also contributing to this). Is Darji here?....yep he's here, talking about it.....what did I expect?

Anyway, I know this series is pretty popular, but how much excitement will actually be left for a last-gen game coming out in a year and a half? Games like Infamous, Destiny and a second or third wave of PS4/XONE titles will be released/coming out. The gaming landscape will be so different in winter of 2015....But the PS3 has a large install base so maybe we'll have another Persona 4 situation.

I know a lot of people who get rid of their old consoles because they don't see the point of having a device that they use for like one or two games a year, so it would be nice to just have a next gen version ready as well. Maybe now that SEGA is in charge they'll use the Ubisoft model of releasing every game on everything.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Darji

wow, didn't realize how bad these forums have become when 80% of the responses to this thread are about how the game isn't coming to xbox (yes I realize I'm also contributing to this). Is Darji here?....yep he's here, talking about it.....what did I expect?

Anyway, I know this series is pretty popular, but how much excitement will actually be left for a last-gen game coming out in a year and a half? Games like Infamous, Destiny and a second or third wave of PS4/XONE titles will be released/coming out. The gaming landscape will be so different in winter of 2015....But the PS3 has a large install base so maybe we'll have another Persona 4 situation.

I know a lot of people who get rid of their old consoles because they don't see the point of having a device that they use for like one or two games a year, so it would be nice to just have a next gen version ready as well. Maybe now that SEGA is in charge they'll use the Ubisoft model of releasing every game on everything.

It has nothing to do with bad. It is just a realistic opinion nothing else. And I am pretty hyped about this game and this is one of the few reasons why I still keep my PS3. Except Tales of Xiillia 2 of course and some other stuff.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigjeffrey

Finally a compelling reason to get a ps3.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@vinny_says said:

It has nothing to do with bad. It is just a realistic opinion nothing else. And I am pretty hyped about this game and this is one of the few reasons why I still keep my PS3. Except Tales of Xiillia 2 of course and some other stuff.

Get out of here with your "realistic opinions". The fuck does that even mean? How many unrealistic opinions do you have? How about you talk about Persona rather than come tell us about how great sony is once again.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I don't understand why everyone thinks SEGA has their hands in everything Atlus does or makes now.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By mosespippy

@vinny_says: I think the talk of an xbox version is more about the implications of the future than about some system wars bull shit. The 360 doesn't seem to have any legs beyond fall 2014 while the PS3 does. That's probably an indication for when we can expect system updates to stop happening and when consumers should bail on their old consoles in favour of new ones.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Finally a compelling reason to get a ps3.

Welcome to 2014.

Seriously though, a bit disappointed (but not surprised) it's not simultaneous with the Japanese release. Here's hoping it's early 2015 and not holiday or something crazy like that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mosespippy: ... with some people it's only about that.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people even being call fanboy bullshit over this? We all saw this coming as soon as the game was reveal. It sucks people are not getting this on 360 but blame that on every single jrpg doing poorly on the 360. Lost Odyssey doing so poorly was a travesty, no one to blame but ourselves, even I did not buy that game until it was pretty cheap. (fyi LO ww sold almost the same as P4G on the vita, just think about that for a moment) Who knows, you guys might still get 360 announcement sometimes later. (though that would be kind of unconventional) While you wait please actually vote with your wallet and buy the new P4A.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleh! Really hopping for a 360 announcement, otherwise I need to buy anther PS3 to play this dumb game!! Also, as a person of the Europe, it will be like 2016 before it's out over here...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zeik

Part of me is a little disappointed they changed "You are slave" to "You are a slave".

@vinny_says said:

I'd maybe see your point if Atlus hadn't done this countless times in the past. Honestly I don't think it will have much affect in the long run. There is a group of gamers out there that picked up the PS4 day 1 and immediately got rid of their PS3, but I think the crossover between those people and the ones that would have actually picked up P5 are a pretty small minority. The majority will still not even own a PS4 by the time this launches, and with new game releases winding down for last gen, a big new release like that will still cause plenty of excitement.

To be fair, SEGA is a wildcard. Now that they own Atlus anything could theoretically happen. But assuming they're telling the truth about not wanting to meddle too much in Atlus' development process I would not expect them to force a PS4 port. That's not a simple thing to do. Maybe sometime after it launches, if it sells like gangbusters.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@vinny_says said:

Get out of here with your "realistic opinions". The fuck does that even mean? How many unrealistic opinions do you have? How about you talk about Persona rather than come tell us about how great sony is once again.

First of all: There are dreams and then there is seeing stuff in a realistic view and right now there is no Reason to believe in an 360 Port. Why do you think the Persona Fighting game for eyample does not get ported to the 360? Why do you think Catherine and many JRPGs bombed on the 360? The 360 is just not a console on which you can expect much support anymore especially with Japanese developers like Atlus. That my friend is a realistic view:

Secondly: I have not mentioned how great Sony is anyway because Sony has nothing to do with this at all and honestly I am tired of these accusations. Maybe you look at the Order thread when I was pretty upset about Sony's demo policy and how you should not treat people who are buying these game. Yes I like Sony because of what they do and how they think. And the games they made (Naughtydog) are exactly want I want from modern games but this has nothing to do with that. If I think they fucked up like with the Order I will say that I do no care about all this bullshit at all.

@zeik Sony has now an extra localisation team so I think these people could do the port but we will never know. The chances for that to happen is not that bad especially wiht the huge success of the PS4 but we will see about that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Good thing I own a PS3 then!

I want to see if these forums fucking explode when Persona 5 comes out. Well... I actually have to wonder if P5 is going to suffer from "overhype" syndrome, at least here. Sometimes Persona 4 is given a status that's a little too high, which I've contributed to a bit but still.

I also wonder if they're changing the formula up a lot. I doubt they'll do it as much as Persona 2-Persona 3, but I hope that it changes a fair bit.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#36  Edited By DonutFever

MY BODY IS READY MY BODY IS READY MY BBBDDY BHRUVNJLDFUUUUCK

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Darji

@believer258 said:

I want to see if these forums fucking explode when Persona 5 comes out. Well... I actually have to wonder if P5 is going to suffer from "overhype" syndrome, at least here. Sometimes Persona 4 is given a status that's a little too high, which I've contributed to a bit but still.

I also wonder if they're changing the formula up a lot. I doubt they'll do it as much as Persona 2-Persona 3, but I hope that it changes a fair bit.

I do not know If I want that to be honest. They could make the school life maybe more complex and involving but for the battlesystem I do not care as long I can control every character and not like in P3 for example.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@believer258 said:

I do not know If I want that to be honest. They could make the school life maybe more complex and involving but for the battlesystem I do not care as long I can control every character and not like in P3 for example.

Well, I do want them to change. By the time I finish Persona 4 Golden - not far off - I'll have spent somewhere in the ballpark of 200 hours with the formula that Persona 3 laid down. I also have Persona 3 Portable now and I might wind up playing through that game again. Am I going to complain about a hundred more hours of that? No, not really, but I would like to see a few new twists tossed in. Something that is a big game-changer, something that makes me really re-think social links and dungeon crawling and all of the other things that people like about Persona 3 and 4.

Or you could make it a hell of a lot bigger. I'd be just fine with the Persona 3 formula applied to a game that takes advantage of a much more powerful console, too.

I also wouldn't have much of a problem with a complete return to roots, but most people would. And that's not necessarily what I want, either.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zeik

@believer258 said:

They've talked about in the past how they want to make some bigger changes with this game, which would fit their M.O. They seem to like waiting until a new console before changing the formula.

I do hope it's true. As much as I love P4, I do not want this to be P4.5.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@believer258 said:

Well, I do want them to change. By the time I finish Persona 4 Golden - not far off - I'll have spent somewhere in the ballpark of 200 hours with the formula that Persona 3 laid down. I also have Persona 3 Portable now and I might wind up playing through that game again. Am I going to complain about a hundred more hours of that? No, not really, but I would like to see a few new twists tossed in. Something that is a big game-changer, something that makes me really re-think social links and dungeon crawling and all of the other things that people like about Persona 3 and 4.

Or you could make it a hell of a lot bigger. I'd be just fine with the Persona 3 formula applied to a game that takes advantage of a much more powerful console, too.

I also wouldn't have much of a problem with a complete return to roots, but most people would. And that's not necessarily what I want, either.

what I really want is having different people for the same social links but to replaybility make them much more different than before. Also you should be able to fuck up more. For example when I first play P3 I got caught cheating but that never really happened in 4 even I tried pretty hard to let that happen. So in general heavier consequences for your answers and reactions to these people.

Sadly I do not have a Vita so I never played Golden but the stuff I heard from it sounds really cool nice events which I wish P4 had more of. But yeah make it bigger. The power difference from PS2 to PS3 should be noticeable in some form. Maybe make everything more lively. I really do not know but do not just add better textures and a higher resolution.

Avatar image for differenceengine
    DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DifferenceEngine

Dumb move, just plain dumb. Atlus is a small-time company with a small-time mentality, and decisions like this are precisely why. This doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. Why the hell would they release the latest installment of one of their flagship franchises as an exclusive on a legacy console and in 2015? The X360 was arguably the home of JRPGs this past gen, so the audience is there among that user base.

The multiplat release of Ultimax later this year just rubs even more salt in the wound. So they're going to release a follow up to a spinoff title of Persona 4, but not release an actual Persona game for the X360? Seriously, WTF?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Justin258

Dumb move, just plain dumb. Atlus is a small-time company with a small-time mentality, and decisions like this are precisely why. This doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. Why the hell would they release the latest installment of one of their flagship franchises as an exclusive on a legacy console? The X360 was arguably the home of JRPGs this past gen, so the audience is there among that user base.

The multiplat release of Ultimax later this year just rubs even more salt in the wound. So they're going to release a follow up to a spinoff title of Persona 4, but not release an actual Persona game for the X360? Seriously, WTF?

Whoa, slow down there a bit. Are you mad because you don't have a PS3?

Atlus doesn't release anything that would classify as "mass appeal", so releasing it on a new console with a small fanbase doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the first place. The PS3 isn't really a legacy console yet, its install base is still fucking massive compared to the PS4's. Why would they put it on the PS4 when there are a ton of PS3 owners out there waiting for it, many of which keep their PS3's plugged in for this game in particular?

The Xbox 360 might have been the home of JRPG's when Microsoft was trying to court a Japanese audience but we all know how that turned out. At this point, there are as many if not more JRPG's on the PS3. And besides, the main audience for this game is Japanese anyway, and once again, we all know how well the 360 did over there. There aren't even any Japanese 360's being produced, and there haven't been for a while.

Persona 4 Arena wasn't made by Atlus, it was made by the guys who made Blazblue. It likely uses a different engine and its developers probably decided from the start that it would be on both. Catherine was an Atlus game released on the 360. Perhaps it didn't sell well enough for them to consider porting it to the PS3? Or perhaps there's some sort of exclusivity deal with Sony somewhere? I believe they were making a new engine for Persona 5, perhaps they were optimizing that engine for the PS3 all along?

You don't release the kinds of games that Atlus releases without some sort of business sense behind it, or else you wouldn't have been around since the early '90's. You wouldn't even be a growing company.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X360 was arguably the home of JRPGs this past gen, so the audience is there among that user base.

Hehehehehe

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zeik

@differenceengine: You live in a fantasy world if you think just porting games to whatever console is the key to profitable business. In a generation full of developers and publishers floundering due to bloated budgets and excessive sales expectations Atlus has managed to keep their games profitable by keeping those things in check. Besides, despite its increased popularity in recent years, Persona's primary audience is still Japanese. They'd be creating a whole extra version just for the minority of the minority. The few games they have released on the 360 all trailed behind the PS3 version in sales. If they were to put any extra time and money into a port the XB1 (and PS4) would make more business sense than the 360 at this point.

I'm not sure why you think Ultimax is comparable. That game is just an update of Arena. It uses the exact same engine as the existing 360 version. The amount of work to get that running on the 360 is not even comparable. But I can almost guarantee if that was not the case that version would not exist.

Also I doubt you could name even one remotely notable JRPG released on the 360 in the last several years. I'd be surprised if you could name much since Lost Odyssey.

DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DifferenceEngine

@zeik: I'm pretty sure Atlus games don't come anywhere near in danger of running a bloated budget, even Catherine, their one and only game with any HD content. Your comment is completely out of context and irrelevant in the scope of the discussion.

Yes, Atlus' majority audience is Japanese. This doesn't mean that the international audience is significantly smaller. If it were, we wouldn't have seen the first four Persona games (with multiple multiplatform versions of all four games) , Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Catherine, Devil Survivor, and all their other non-SMT games released across multiple platforms.

Notable JRPGs? Um, Square-Enix says hi. Wow **smh**

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I'm pretty sure Atlus games don't come anywhere near in danger of running a bloated budget, even Catherine, their one and only game with any HD content. Your comment is completely out of context and irrelevant in the scope of the discussion.

Yes, Atlus' majority audience is Japanese. This doesn't mean that the international audience is significantly smaller. If it were, we wouldn't have seen the first four Persona games (with multiple multiplatform versions of all four games) , Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, Catherine, Devil Survivor, and all their other non-SMT games released across multiple platforms.

Wait... DDS and Nocturne are only on the PS2. Persona 1 and 2 didn't get remakes until Personas 3 and 4 got way more popular than the rest of their output. Devil Survivor got re-releases on the 3DS, a system that was backwards compatible with the DS. It would be easy to assume that the 3DS's architecture isn't far off from the DS's.

Square Enix put out Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. What else ya got?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zeik

@differenceengine said:

They don't risk a bloated budget because they keep their costs in check with their sales expectations. Porting games to more consoles means an increased budget which means increased sales expectations. If the increased sales do not match or exceed the increased projections from the increased budget then you have a bloated budget. All of that is relevant to this conversation.

The Western audience is not insignificant, but we are absolutely a minority compared to Japan. The reason we get all those games is because Atlus USA has been smart with how they release their games, keeping their production and sales expectations at a reasonable level. Most bigger companies would consider the sales of the Persona games underwhelming, because they would produce much more than there is demand and lose even more profit. And even all that considered they had to pass on the Eternal Punishment remake, as Innocent Sin was underwhelming even by their minimal standards.

Name one exclusive Square-Enix JRPG on the 360 in the last, lets say, 5 years. Maybe I forgot something, but all that comes to mind is Final Fantasy.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Aegon

How long until we get to see this thing...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

How long until we get to see this thing...

I would expect maybe in the next few months we'll start seeing some actual screens. Although it will probably just be character artwork first. Could be awhile before we see actual gameplay.

DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The titles I listed addressed the aspect of the previous post that minimized Atlus' international audience. You're addressing some other point that I never raised.

And actually, FFXIII, Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4 belong on that list as well. But you knew this already. I could even include Resonance of Fate (Sega) too. I'm pretty certain at this point, given your tone that you're not actually interested in keeping a civil discussion going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.