Lately I have found myself spending a lot of time thinking about Persona 5, spurred by the fact that I recently played Persona 4 Arena for the first time. As part of my contemplation about Persona 5, I've been thinking about what exactly I would want to see in the game, covering gameplay, story, presentation, and core design. Since I know Persona has a pretty large following here on Giant Bomb, I thought I'd share my personal Persona 5 wish list and see what others are hoping for. These are in no particular order.
- Better In-Engine Presentation: Even if by the time this games does come it ends up being a last gen (360 and PS3) game yet again, it will still be a generation leap from the last game, so obviously better visuals and such are too be expected, but I really hope they don't simply increase the poly count and call it a day. I think it would be awesome if they didn't need to use character portraits anymore, and instead had a more modern in-engine presentation. By this I mean changing camera angles, better animations, and an overall more cinematic presentation during all the dialogue, s-links, and in game events. I think it would be great if the game didn't animated cutscenes because the in-engine ones were nearly as good. If the presentation of Catherine is any indication, I think this is a great possibility.
- Voiced Social Links: The lack of voice acting in all of the social link scenes is one of the most disappointing aspects of the modern Persona games, and I really hope this is something that gets addressed. I realize that it is common practice for most JRPGs to feature significant portions of "non essential" dialogue that is unspoken, but it's one of those genre tropes that really feels out of place in the modern landscape. I know Atlus isn't a big company and they don't make games with the biggest of budgets, but I really hope they find a way to make this happen.
- Change in Dungeon Structure: I would probably still love the game even if they kept the same dungeon structure, but it is certainly something that could do with an overhaul. I don't really have anything in mind about how exactly they should change the dungeon design, I only know that the endless corridors that made up Tartarus, The Abyss of Time, and the TV World can get very monotonous.
- Background Leveling for Inactive Party Members: Something that has been talked about a lot, for obvious reasons. Being forced to spend hours upon hours grinding or just sticking with the original party are two pretty crappy choices, it'd be nice if that wasn't an issue at all.
- MIx Things Up: This is kind of a generic thing, but I just want Persona 5 to be different while still feeling like Persona. Persona 4 stuck very close to the Persona 3 formula, so it would be nice if Persona 5 was more of a change of pace. I'm not suggesting anything crazy like the abandonment of social links, but I think it would be pretty disappointing if Persona 5 stuck to exactly the same formula of the last two games. One thing that has mentioned by many people is moving the setting to college, and I think that could be really cool.
That's all I can think of right now, I know there were probably other things I was thinking about at some point, but these are the major ones. What are you guys hoping for out of Persona 5?