Persona 5...on 3DS...?

• 90 results
#1 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
Source

I know it's a bit early to get worried, but is this a sign that the next Persona won't be a console game? I'd do anything to see a P5 ER with the game released to PS3/X360, but 3DS...? Hold me, I'm scared.
#2 Posted by Thegerman (105 posts) -

as far as i know it will be a remake... or a uhhm what do you call it... uhhm well some sort of sub-series.. 
But man... ER in 3D F YES

#3 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Yeah, we know atlus are developing a persona game for 3DS, but we don't know what. Personally I suspect it'll be a port of Persona 3 portable. Or a remake of the the original persona or persona 2. I wouldn't be totally surprised to see P5 on 3DS, and personally I think it would be pretty awesome, but it's not that likely.

#4 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

I really hope it's not P5. That is a game that DESERVES to be on the PS3.

If it's a remake of the P2 duology, that's awesome, though.

#5 Posted by zonerover (580 posts) -
@Shinri said:
" I really hope it's not P5. That is a game that DESERVES to be on the PS3.  If it's a remake of the P2 duology, that's awesome, though. "
While I would like to see it on the PS3 (frankly multiplatform would be good, but Atlas seems pro-Sony in general), Persona hasn't really ever been about the stunning graphics. As long as the gameplay's there, then Persona 5 on the 3DS doesn't sound too bad. The only bad thing about it would be that I wouldn't be able to play it any time soon since I have no plans of getting a 3DS.
#6 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I am going to go with a remake of an early Persona game then the next sequel.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I believe it's just another remake of Persona: Revelations, just like they did for the PSP, but this time in 3D.

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

They are totally never gonna ER persona 5 when it eventually comes out, just because people seem to assume they will.

#9 Posted by Andrela (622 posts) -

My moneys on a remake of Persona 3 moreso than a new game. I think Atlus will put a new game on an established console, maybe even ps2 again :) Although I would love to have it on my ps3

#10 Posted by SimonM7 (129 posts) -

Persona is exactly the type of experience that doesn't need elaborate presentation, it's smart about how it looks. Sign me up for a 3DS version.

#11 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

People have been saying the 3DS sports PS2 like graphics. Down that road, a Persona 4 FES 3D would be a perfect addition to the 3DS library. I'm hoping for that or a companion game to Persona 5. Hopefully they wouldn't release the straight new version for the 3DS and leave the current-gen systems behind them. If Persona 5 doesn't hit the 360 or PS3, Atlus may end up skipping a 10 year console lifespan and go from PS2 to PS4 with Persona 6.

#12 Posted by dhaikage (17 posts) -

Is this the part where I say how desperately I want a Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment dual pack remake?

#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@dhaikage said:

" Is this the part where I say how desperately I want a Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment dual pack remake? "

If it would be packed with Revelations, also, I'd be immediately sold.

@animathias: Atlus have said they'll never make a Persona 4 FES.
#14 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

They can't win either way. A HD Mara, or a 3D Mara... which one would be worse(better??)?

#15 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@makari: A portable 3D Mara would be much more fun, obviously.
#16 Posted by dhaikage (17 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: If It were packed with Revelations, no one would ever finish it.
#17 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Persona 4 Portable.

#18 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -
@Jimi said:
" Persona 4 Portable. "
Oh god I would buy that 5 times over...
#19 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @dhaikage said:

" Is this the part where I say how desperately I want a Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment dual pack remake? "

@animathias: Atlus have said they'll never make a Persona 4 FES. "
A port isn't the same as an expansion pack. 

As much as it saddens me, we will  probably see a P4P.
#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@mutha3: True, but I don't see them doing a port like that without expanding it in some way like they've done with P3P and Persona for PSP.  I wouldn't mind, though.  I'd probably even buy it.
#21 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @mutha3: True, but I don't see them doing a port like that without expanding it in some way like they've done with P3P and Persona for PSP.  I wouldn't mind, though.  I'd probably even buy it. "

I would....probably buy it. Begrudgingly.
 I'd be pretty pissed, though. I mean, P4 is a fine ass game, it does not need to be expanded upon and there isn't much to improve. If Atlus wants to waste their times doing remakes: I'd much rather they do a remake of Persona 2. A game that could really benefit from one.

P3P feels like a massive waste of time and resources:/
#22 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2933 posts) -
@CrazyChris: dude thats crazy lol
#23 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I don't see p4p happening, the game had no little cliff hangers, everything was tightly shut, no need for one. Now persona 2 I can be all over on, even a P3P port to 3DS wouldn't be a stretch.

Of course if they did do a P4P and added a female or even an option to date Kanji as the dude.. I'd be all over it.. <<

#24 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" I don't see p4p happening, the game had no little cliff hangers, everything was tightly shut, no need for one. Now persona 2 I can be all over on, even a P3P port to 3DS wouldn't be a stretch.  Of course if they did do a P4P and added a female or even an option to date Kanji as the dude.. I'd be all over it.. << "
I would blow up Atlus' offices if this happened.
#25 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
" @Catolf said:
" I don't see p4p happening, the game had no little cliff hangers, everything was tightly shut, no need for one. Now persona 2 I can be all over on, even a P3P port to 3DS wouldn't be a stretch.  Of course if they did do a P4P and added a female or even an option to date Kanji as the dude.. I'd be all over it.. << "
I would blow up Atlus' offices if this happened. "
Why? It wouldn't be a hard thing to consider happening.

And even if it did nothing can be done about it, they are a business, from once being a niche' type to getting more and more successful, if it brought money and within their capabilities than yeah. it's more likely that P4P.
#26 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

Why would you be worried about that news? The 3DS is a powerful console, has unique features, and most importantly, will be something I own.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

The persona games wern't well known for their graphics. The 3DS is almost as powerful as a PS2, so it wouldn't bother me. Some 3D summons might be cool, actually. It would make another endurance run kinda tough to capture... but hey- who's to say they're going to do another Endurance Run? lol

#28 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I'll play it wherever it may go.  

I'd just prefer if it was on a console. 

#29 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Catolf said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @Catolf said:

I would blow up Atlus' offices if this happened. "
Why?
Because, Persona 3 already has two remakes more then it required. 

Because, after P3P its flipping pointless to make yet  another version of Persona 3. There is nothing left to fix, nothing left to add.

Because, they've been making 5 fucking Persona games since Persona 3, with over half of them being remakes, and only 3 non-Persona SMT came out in that time-frame. Only one of them was a new SMT instead of a sequel.

If you want to talk financially, frankly, I don't really give a shit about Atlus's business decisions, but even in that regard a P3DS is a mind-numbingly stupid move, and a P4 remake is far more likely. 

-''Cliffhangers'' is a complete non-issue when looking at it from a business perspective.
-Persona 4 completely outsold Persona 3 in all regions,like, completely. it is a far more popular game(Atlus' best selling game ever, in fact). And thus, it will draw a ton more sales if it gets ported.
- FES sold at least 5 times less then the original P3 in US, this 3DS edition will sell even less then that. Remaking the same game has diminishing returns. Especially when you do it 3 times. P3P's''high'' sales in Japan have to do with the fact that its a portable oriented market. P1P had a massive bump in sales as well. P4 can break its own record as best-seller in Japan by getting on a Portable system.

P3DS is most likely  not happening and even if  it will, it definitely won't reach American shores.Its a miracle we got P3P in the first place(FES sold a pitiful 10,000 copies, mind you. This PSP version will again sell a small bite out of that.)

P4P is, sadly, very, very likely. Though, I'd rather have that then Persona 3 12877382th edition deluxe X.

@TooWalrus

said:

" The persona games wern't well known for their graphics. The 3DS is almost as powerful as a PS2, so it wouldn't bother me. Some 3D summons might be cool, actually. It would make another endurance run kinda tough to capture... but hey- who's to say they're going to do another Endurance Run? lol "

Even though we don't know this yet. At this point, its a safe bet to say that the 3DS is going to be more powerful then the PS2. Possibly, the GC.
#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

Don't you dare... Just, don't...

#31 Posted by LordCraven (45 posts) -

Yeah I can't see them putting P5 on anything but the PS3, and a slim chance on 360 too. 
Imagine how many character portraits they could fit on a blu-ray! * salivate*
#32 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I'm afraid that a lot of long RPGs that aren't million sellers will start going to the 3DS now (though it's been happening on the DS for years now as well). There's nothing really wrong with this because graphics have never mattered for Persona, but I'd much prefer it on console with a big screen anyway. Long gaming sessions on portables suck and Persona is an experience for the couch... I hope this is just a remake. I'd prefer the full blown experience for Persona 5.

#33 Posted by acecards (58 posts) -

i doubt it...it's probally another remake of p3 but this time you can chose a hermaphrodite mc   :p

#34 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

oh. 

my. 

GAWD

#35 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@LordCraven said:
" Yeah I can't see them putting P5 on anything but the PS3, and a slim chance on 360 too. Imagine how many character portraits they could fit on a blu-ray! * salivate* "
Yeah, I wouldn't hold out hope for that. 

360 is practically nonexistent in Japan, and that's their main target audience  and where they get the vast majority of their money. Personally, I think PS3>Wii>3DS>PSP>>>360 is the probability of the game hitting the systems.
#36 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@mutha3 said:
Because, Persona 3 already has two remakes more then it required. 

Because, after P3P its flipping pointless to make yet  another version of Persona 3. There is nothing left to fix, nothing left to add.

Because, they've been making 5 fucking Persona games since Persona 3, with over half of them being remakes, and only 3 non-Persona SMT came out in that time-frame. Only one of them was a new SMT instead of a sequel.

If you want to talk financially, frankly, I don't really give a shit about Atlus's business decisions, but even in that regard a P3DS is a mind-numbingly stupid move, and a P4 remake is far more likely. 

-''Cliffhangers'' is a complete non-issue when looking at it from a business perspective.
-Persona 4 completely outsold Persona 3 in all regions,like, completely. it is a far more popular game(Atlus' best selling game ever, in fact). And thus, it will draw a ton more sales if it gets ported.
- FES sold at least 5 times less then the original P3 in US, this 3DS edition will sell even less then that. Remaking the same game has diminishing returns. Especially when you do it 3 times. P3P's''high'' sales in Japan have to do with the fact that its a portable oriented market. P1P had a massive bump in sales as well. P4 can break its own record as best-seller in Japan by getting on a Portable system.

P3DS is most likely  not happening and even if  it will, it definitely won't reach American shores.Its a miracle we got P3P in the first place(FES sold a pitiful 10,000 copies, mind you. This PSP version will again sell a small bite out of that.)

P4P is, sadly, very, very likely. Though, I'd rather have that then Persona 3 12877382th edition deluxe X.
Actually there was something left to fix in P3P a certain death that can be reversed. Which I think is the point of the whole 'butterfly effect' that they are going with. Which I think is awesome. And whats wrong with doing it again, it was a great game, now you get a girl option. They are banking on what launched them out of obscurity. It's not uncommon.

New SMT games as I understand it are few and far between, so only ONE being new isn't exactly surprising. You've seent he storylines right? Theya re intricate, and really good. You can't expect them to pull a new storyline out of their ass every year that is as good as the last.

Apparently you DO give a shit about they business because you wouldn't be here if you weren't. Nor would you be so opposed to a business decision they may make. Just saying.

As far as sales the only reason persona 4 sold so well is because of P3. Had we not had P3 then persona 4's sales would have been just like P3's, it's because persona 3 got so much attention, (later on) that people gave a shit about 4. So as far as sales, Persona 4 sold well because of persona 3.

And actually YES cliffhanger's are something a business like ATLUS (cause they are small) needs to take care of because their fans, though the base was small and niche' are loyal and they are good to their fans.

I don't follow your logic with P4, yes they could make it portable, but why? With P3 they added a female and a way to save a character for certain doom, which does change the storyline, (a main character no less) thus the butterfly effect.  P4.. it's wouldn't be adding anything new unless they gave you a female option. (but if they did I'd be all for it. That would be the only way I would buy.)

And who's to say it won't happen? Persona 3 is popular enough to happen for the 3DS market and they could even keep the cut-scenes because of the power behind the (hand held)system. Yes, it would come to shores, just like P3P. why would that suddenly not happen? And no, I don't think it's a miracle that it happen, FES sucked, it was mostly a grind fest and .. yeah, nothing really added to it.. so XP But they knew the western market like p3 so here it comes. It's a business, and it's not like Atlus really over prints their games. I doubt they lost out on much.
#37 Posted by Jazz (2322 posts) -

I really couldn't care what it comes out on as long as it comes out. 

Personally I'd rather have a handhold game over a big console release, because it's easier for me to play in my situation.

#38 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

Please no, i want my Persona 5 in HD and on a console.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" Actually there was something left to fix in P3P a certain death that can be reversed. Which I think is the point of the whole 'butterfly effect' that they are going with. Which I think is awesome. "
Who are you talking about?
#40 Posted by Brendan (8156 posts) -

Remember when DQ 9 only came out on DS?  Man, that got alot of people upset. 
#41 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Yes please. That would be really, really funny.

#42 Edited by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Catolf said:

" Actually there was something left to fix in P3P a certain death that can be reversed. Which I think is the point of the whole 'butterfly effect' that they are going with. Which I think is awesome. "
Who are you talking about? "

#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
#44 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

It wouldn't surprise me if Persona 5 came to the 3DS. A lot of niche Japanese developers seem to be most confortable with PS2 level hardware. Disgaea 3 came to the PS3 but it still looked like a PS1 game. 

#45 Posted by Damodar (1507 posts) -

GURRRR IT BETTER NOT BE >:( 

They should put both P2 games on there, one on each screen!

#46 Edited by hai2u (322 posts) -
@mutha3 said:

I don't know where ur getting ur sales figures but P3 FES actually sold almost equal to the original P3 (FES: .20m in US, .16m in JP and original P3: .23m US, .21m JP)  and if u combine the sales of P3 and P3 FES they are actually greater than P4 (.31m in US and .32m in JP).  P3 FES was very profitable and likewise P3P has already been profitable in Japan and will do so in NA.  Sure another incarnation of P4 might yield higher profit for Atlus but it's not like FES and P3P bombed, quite the opposite from it.
#47 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@hai2u said:
" @mutha3 said:

I don't know where ur getting ur sales figures but P3 FES actually sold almost equal to the original P3 (FES: .20m in US, .16m in JP and original P3: .23m US, .21m JP) 
wat wat wat wat

P3fes sold 10,000 copies  in America.  P3+P3FES barely broke half a 100 grand.

I have no idea where you got these insane numbers from, Atlus wishes it ever sold that well in America.
#48 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@Catolf:
If Atlus gave a shit about their fans, they would stop remaking the same fucking game. And, no, only since they started remaking Persona games did we pretty much stop seeing new SMT titles.

P4 sold almost twice the amount P3 did, and even if a small part of P4's sale came from an established fanbase in 3, that does not change that Persona 4 is a far more popular game....and thus, more profitable. The only thing that influences Atlus' decision to make a portable remake. The concept of diminishing returns already assures no P3DS(thank god)

Again with the ''Cliffhangers''. The so called ''character death'' which can be prevented has virtually no effect on the storyline whatsoever. They can easily add that little bit of retarted fanservice in a P4P. Example:

#49 Posted by hai2u (322 posts) -
@mutha3:  and I have no idea where ur getting ur numbers from, I got these from vgchartz. I know theyre not the most reliable but they cant be off by more than 100k in sales. Heck according to them FES sold almost 50k copies in the 1st wweek alone. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=persona%203
#50 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

I'd LOVE a Persona 3 for 3DS.  Obviously this isn't Persona 5 listed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.