Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

"Persona Team" officially becoming its own studio?

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By DonutFever
    Article from Siliconera 

Given this, the devs saying that Persona 5 will be a fresher take on the series (similar to P3), and the removal of the SMT name from P4A and P4G, it's starting to seem like P5 might try to be a starting point for newcomers to the series. 
    dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dungbootle

The SMT name was only added on for the North American releases. The titles have always just been standalone Persona-whatever in Japan.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DonutFever
    @dungbootle: That's true, I guess I meant that Atlus and Atlus USA are trying to make the series more accessible. 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@dungbootle said:

The titles have always just been standalone Persona-whatever in Japan.

What about Megami Ibunroku Tensei or whatever? (The first one.)

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xMrSunshine

By saying it's going to be a fresher take on the series like P3 do they mean it's going to be like P3 or that the they're going to change the game like they did from P2 to P3? Probably the latter right?

I dunno how I feel about that. I would've been perfectly okay with another Persona 3/4 style Persona game. Not too many games out there that mix elements of visual novels and gameplay like Persona 3 and 4 do. I guess on the other hand it's cool that they're trying to come up with something new if that ends up being the case.

As long as it'll still have a bitching soundtrack I'm at least slightly on board. Might have to rethink my plan of "buy the next-gen console that has the Persona on it" though.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dungbootle

@Video_Game_King: They dropped it for Persona 2 onwards

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

@DonutFever said:

@dungbootle: That's true, I guess I meant that Atlus and Atlus USA are trying to make the series more accessible.

More accessible? P3 and P4 were already a drastic step in that direction, to the point that it divided the fanbase. I'm (mostly) happy with the change in direction for Persona, but I don't think there's a lot more they could do without sacrificing more than they should.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonutFever
    @xMrSunshine: I was worried about that too, but I don't think it will be anything too massive. I think S-Links and the such will still be in it, it will just be more innovative than P4 was from P3.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@dungbootle:

I'm aware, but I still wanted to list the one exception.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

@xMrSunshine said:

By saying it's going to be a fresher take on the series like P3 do they mean it's going to be like P3 or that the they're going to change the game like they did from P2 to P3? Probably the latter right?

I dunno how I feel about that. I would've been perfectly okay with another Persona 3/4 style Persona game. Not too many games out there that mix elements of visual novels and gameplay like Persona 3 and 4 do. I guess on the other hand it's cool that they're trying to come up with something new if that ends up being the case.

As long as it'll still have a bitching soundtrack I'm at least slightly on board. Might have to rethink my plan of "buy the next-gen console that has the Persona on it" though.

P4 is my favorite game in the franchise, but I'd be very disappointed if P5 just ended up being Persona 4.5. This is the perfect opportunity to try to mix things up. That being said, I'm certain it's going to maintain much of the "flavor" of P3/P4 since those are the games that pushed the series into it's current success.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Flappy

Eh, I have a solid amount of faith in the people working on P5. As long as they don't do anything crazy like block puzzles, then I'm on board. Well, I was never not on board, but...you know what I mean.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DonutFever
    @Zeik said:

@DonutFever said:

More accessible? P3 and P4 were already a drastic step in that direction, to the point that it divided the fanbase. I'm happy with the change in direction for Persona, but I don't think there's a lot more they could do without sacrificing more than they should.

I mean accessible more in how it's marketed than how it plays.  

I remember telling my friend about the series, he went online, saw how many SMT games there were and thought he would have to read the plot summaries of them to understand what was going on, while P3 and P4 have pretty contained stories. 
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I have more faith in Atlus than I have for any of the other surviving JRPG powerhouses. I mean, they actually iterate on their series' with a pretty good awesome : shit ratio. If it is an actual reinvention, then kudos to them for doing it before stagnating interest in the series, and if not then whatever - I think I could take 1-2 more of that style of game before it becomes kind of irritating and repetitive.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xMrSunshine

@Zeik: I'd be disappointed in P4.5 as well for sure but if they'd just go through the same kind of change they did for P3 to P4 I'd be happy. P4 and P3 look very similar on the outside but as everyone who's played both should know they're pretty different tonally and stylistically. Tone of the story, music and even the color palette are completely different in P3 and 4. I guess it would be pretty hard for them to come up with a new fresher style that they could use for P5 since P3 was pretty grim and P4 was a lot more cheerful.

So I guess what I want is P4.75? I just don't really see what new they would do with the game that wouldn't change it too much. I seriously hope they keep the combat more or less the same because for whatever reason I really enjoy it.

Persona 5, a modern military FPS where you S. Link with your guns. Ranking up gets you unlocks like a red dot sight and a silencer. Now you can romance your AK-47 but watch our or the M4 might get jealous resulting in a reversed S. Link that then causes the gun to jam more when used.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonutFever
    @xMrSunshine said:

Persona 5, a modern military FPS where you S. Link with your guns. Ranking up gets you unlocks like a red dot sight and a silencer. Now you can romance your AK-47 but watch our or the M4 might get jealous resulting in a reversed S. Link that then causes the gun to jam more when used.

The SEES/Investigation Team equivalent would be the NRA.
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikeGosot

@xMrSunshine said:

You know, Catherine was supposed to be a story about war. And i still want to see Atlus telling a story about war...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I hope they mix it up. I don't see them making a better game in that format than Persona 4. I don't see they making a better game then P4 regardless, but I'd like variety.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

@xMrSunshine: I want more than the change from P3 to P4. P4 was a fairly incremental update from P3, and while I thought it was a great game and I don't hold that against it I would definitely be disappointed if P5 only updated P4's systems instead of doing something new and interesting. Last gen we saw both Nocturne and P3 come to fruition, which made radical changes to the series as a whole and it ended up being for the better. While I don't want to see a complete tonal shift like P2 > P3, I do want to see some changes to system mechanics. Even if they don't end up all being for the better I'd be happy to see them take those chances rather than play it safe and just rehash what they've done before. Atlus has good developers, it would be shame to let their creativity stagnate.

I'm sure the combat will be similar if nothing else, as the Once More system was just a modification of Nocturne's Press Turn system, which has been in every MegaTen game since in some form. I do want to see some changes to that too though. I enjoy's P3/P4's combat, but there's a few things that are a bit too abuseable about it that I hope they fix.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aegon

@Zeik said:

@xMrSunshine said:

P4 is my favorite game in the franchise, but I'd be very disappointed if P5 just ended up being Persona 4.5. This is the perfect opportunity to try to mix things up. That being said, I'm certain it's going to maintain much of the "flavor" of P3/P4 since those are the games that pushed the series into it's current success.

Yep, they should improve on what they've got, like the changes they made from P2 to P3.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Winternet

Well, with Persona 4 they hit a very high level with that style of game. It's nice to see them going for something slightly different.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

After playing through P4A's story mode, I recognize that Atlus still knows how to write good stories. As long as the gameplay isn't extremely off-putting, I'm pretty much down with anything.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colourful_hippie

@MikeGosot said:

@xMrSunshine said:

You know, Catherine was supposed to be a story about war.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By toowalrus

@Colourful_Hippie: You fucker, I was just gonna... Oh man.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By colourful_hippie

@TooWalrus said:

@Colourful_Hippie: You fucker, I was just gonna... Oh man.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Per5ona.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.