Preparing For Persona 5?

• 158 results
Posted by Jeff (3654 posts) -
What's crackin', ho? 
OK, the trail back on this one is a little wild, so bear with me. Siliconera has done a bit of translation work on a Japanese blog post that cites a supposed Dengeki PlayStation interview with Katsura Hashino, the director on Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

Somehow I don't think that qualifies as "three sources" under the rules someone drunkenly burped at me back at the student newspaper I spent part of a semester sort-of writing for. But this is 2010, y'all. We move forward and we trust. We believe because we want to believe. Because the thrust of all this is that Hashino is "preparing to start work on the next Persona."

I still think about Persona 4 more than I care to admit, and the notion of another game is tearing me apart. I'm obviously interested in a new Persona game. But I'm also very attached to the cast of Persona 4. So I care... but at the same time I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

Unless they're going to announce a third-person character action game/tank-punting simulator starring Chie. Then it's all smiles over here.    
#1 Posted by Jeff (3654 posts) -
What's crackin', ho? 
OK, the trail back on this one is a little wild, so bear with me. Siliconera has done a bit of translation work on a Japanese blog post that cites a supposed Dengeki PlayStation interview with Katsura Hashino, the director on Atlus' Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

Somehow I don't think that qualifies as "three sources" under the rules someone drunkenly burped at me back at the student newspaper I spent part of a semester sort-of writing for. But this is 2010, y'all. We move forward and we trust. We believe because we want to believe. Because the thrust of all this is that Hashino is "preparing to start work on the next Persona."

I still think about Persona 4 more than I care to admit, and the notion of another game is tearing me apart. I'm obviously interested in a new Persona game. But I'm also very attached to the cast of Persona 4. So I care... but at the same time I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

Unless they're going to announce a third-person character action game/tank-punting simulator starring Chie. Then it's all smiles over here.    
#2 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I haven't even finished Persona 4 yet, Or 3.... or any of the rpg's in my possession

#3 Posted by ausroller (11 posts) -

They should just make a Persona game where every member of the cast is Chie

#4 Posted by evildeadron (830 posts) -

"I still think about Persona 4 more than I care to admit, and the notion of another game is tearing me apart. I'm obviously interested in a new Persona game. But I'm also very attached to the cast of Persona 4. " 

jeff this is exactly how i feel
#5 Posted by chickendoughnut (87 posts) -

The cast for P4 were amazing

#6 Posted by majnuker (75 posts) -

this is incredibly exciting, but i know it just means months of endurance run in the future. you guys think you can handle it?

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I just hope Kanji is somewhere being awkward like always.

#8 Edited by Pazy (2601 posts) -

Because of my enjoyment of the Endurance Run im totally up for giving Persona 5 a big welcoming hug and my cash day one on a chance that they can make something so great again. I hope Atlus thanks you for promoting it the franchise by giving you the first look or some sort of exclusive :)

EDIT: Though I didn't see it myself I read that Persona 3 characters made a cameo in Persona 4 so hopefully well see Chie getting into a meaty steak at some point.

#9 Posted by Milkman (17172 posts) -

I don't think Persona would ever be the same without Chie. And that scares me.

#10 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

You never know they could pull a Persona 4 2 out... but that's a bit ridiculous.

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Jeff, you should be the one producing this game. Your idea sounds fantastic!

#12 Posted by brocool (701 posts) -

Just think of the awesome new characters they will come with this time

#13 Posted by angelfan91 (892 posts) -

I really hope that when Persona 5 comes out it is available on the 360.  After playing Persona 4 though, I think I would buy a PS3 to play a new entry in the series.
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (19046 posts) -

Now we play the waiting game.

#15 Posted by adamfedoruk (223 posts) -

I feel you on the character attachment, Jeff, but why couldn't Atlus make a new cast of characters and get you attached to them? They did a fine job making me like my crew in 4, I'm sure they could do it again. 

#16 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

I'm always up for more Persona.  But for now, I have Strange Journey to tide my craving for Megami Tensei.

#17 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

we all share your feelings jeff. we are in for a rollercoaster of emotions as the facts are dribbled out over the next couple of years

#18 Posted by NathHaw (2799 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" I just hope Kanji is somewhere being awkward like always. "
Speaking of which, I think my nose is starting to bleed.
#19 Posted by rargy (437 posts) -

Change "preparing to start work" to "have already begun working" and i would be happier.

#20 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

Heh, I care about the P3 cast more than the P4 cast since I actually played through P3.

Yukari and Mitsuru totally kick every P4 girls ass!

Well, aside from Chie anyways.

#21 Edited by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I bet atlus can make another great cast for persona 5, but I do hope the investigation team makes a cameo. 

#22 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

Yeah the characters were great in P4, but I bet the characters in P5 will be just as good...I hope.

#23 Edited by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

I felt the same way about the characters of Persona 4 before I started playing Persona 3. Then I played Persona 3, and thought that it had about the same ratio of awesome to dumb characters. Though no one can beat Chie.

#24 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

I agree. I never played through any Persona game myself, but watching the Endurance Run of course got me greatly attached to the colorful cast of characters that Persona 4 brought. Not to say that it won't be good because of that, but I've really grown a liking to ol' Charlie.

#25 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

I really liked the cast in P4, although I'm confident that the Atlus guys can produce another great cast in Persona 5.

#26 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Oh hell yeah. I can totally dig this.

#27 Posted by RipTheVeins (1546 posts) -

I know how you feel about feeling attached to P4's cast and maybe not wanting to connect with a new group of individuals, but that's exactly how I felt when making the transition from P3 to P4.  I was so attached to the cast of P3 that I thought there was no way I'd be able to feel connections to the new characters, after all I did play that game for well over 100 hours.  Yet I was able to warm up to P4's cast after I accepted that these are completely different characters, so I was able to put aside my hostile feelings of disconnection to their personalities and accept them for who they were and not who they were being compared to.  As a result I think I may have even preferred P4's cast to P3's, since I was able to be connected with them after all since I spent so much time with the newer cast, as well.

#28 Posted by cuzintheboss (97 posts) -

cool

#29 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

*rolling on the floor*

#30 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

I feel the same way. I'm looking forward to P5 but the cast in P4 will always be my favorite.

#31 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

PRESS X TO CHIE

#32 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Persona 5: Son of Chie.  

Bum Bum Buuuuum!!!

#33 Posted by gzl5000 (164 posts) -
@Brackynews: GET BENT!
#34 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I totally wish they had Nanako as the protagonist and all grown up and P4 folks make a cameo.

#35 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

I'm definitely sure Atlus can produce the same quality characters contained in Persona 3 and Persona 4, again.  As stated, you just have to believe.

#36 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1718 posts) -

Oh, Chie. Before Persona 4 came out, I saw her character design and was not a fan. Then I heard her English voice actor, and was again not a fan. I thought she sounded too old. HOW WRONG I WAS. Chie is the best.

I've been ready for Persona 5 for a long-ass time.

#37 Posted by ChrisTaran (1664 posts) -

Can't wait to see the changes and improvements they make to the social link system.

#38 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

Better be happening.

#39 Edited by Spiritof (2082 posts) -

This announcement puts a shit eating grin on my face and I don't know why.

EDIT: P5 better have the return of Fox and Funky Student or I'm going to be seriously bummed.

#40 Posted by drew327 (620 posts) -

Persona 4-2?!  Learn from FFX-2's mistake!

#41 Posted by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

I Like both the Persona 3 and 4 casts equally. 

I do however prefer the darker vibe and story of Persona 3 over Persona 4. Still loved Persona 4 though.

#42 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

I'm also apprehensive about investing myself into another Persona game, not because it won't be as good, but because it'll be a constant reminder of how much I loved Persona 4 and that nothing can ever replicate that experience. That said, we owe it to Atlus to give the next Persona a shot. They made 3 and 4. Who's to say 5 won't hold the same magic?

#43 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -
@Dany said:
" I totally wish they had Nanako as the protagonist and all grown up and P4 folks make a cameo. "
How about P5 set in 2022 with an 18 year old Nanako as the main character attending University?
#44 Posted by Khann (2904 posts) -

Chie is... TANK GIRL

#45 Posted by Jon93 (156 posts) -

GET BENT

#46 Posted by Wraith1 (572 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with having a new cast. When I played Persona 3 twice, I got really attached to the characters in that game. When I played persona 4 twice, I got attached to the characters in that game. The same will happen to me in Persona 5

#47 Posted by lilarchie232 (728 posts) -
@Jon93 said:
" GET BENT "
#48 Posted by Slurpelve (616 posts) -

YES!!!!

#49 Posted by Spiritof (2082 posts) -
@Jon93 said:
" GET BENT "
Only watermelon can sooth the savage beast.
#50 Posted by metalsnakezero (2339 posts) -

It'll be hard to be introduce to new characters after building up a relationship with the past characters but I think Atlus can do it. Anyway this is good news and looking forward to more news on P5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.