When will Persona 5 be revealed?

• 86 results
#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

A fun thing to do is going through the Persona 5 forums here and seeing how much of a pile of broken dreams it is. If it's not people trying to guess at the concepts and systems that will form P5, it's people posting about a potential announcement that isn't anywhere near when they think it's going to be.

So I'm curious to see when people think P5 will truly be unveiled. We already know the game's in development—we've known this for a while now—but I want to know when people think it'll actually be shown. When I say "revealed", I mean something substantial like a trailer, official art, gameplay or just a bunch of info.

This should also be fun to look back on a year from now only to find out that Persona 5 still hasn't been revealed.

My vote goes to Q3 2013.

Official Announcement vs. Release Date Timeline (Japan)

Edit:

This used to be a pretty interesting poll, but the site update blew it up. Going by memory, the percentages were approximately something like:

2012 - 5%

Q1 2013 - 15%

Q2 2013 - 30%

Q3 2013 - 15% (I voted for this one)

Q4 2013 - 10%

2014 - 15%

Never - 10%

#3 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

I hope it's this E3.

#4 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -

I'm looking forward to bitching about this not coming to Europe. How's that?

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

The real answer here is "Not soon enough." I'm going to put my bet down on Q3 2013, though. I was joking earlier, of course I want them to take their time and make it as good as they possibly can- all of the writing, dialogue recording, music production etc has to be time consuming- not to mention localization. Luckily (or unluckily, I suppose), I didn't really get into SMT games until earlier this year. I'm playing through Nocturne right now, I'm going to pick up P4G, then hit the back catalog on PSP (I'd hope they'd localize that Eternal Punishment port... PS1 copies are mad expensive).

#6 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

Next TGS most likely.

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Next year as a Wii U exclusive.

#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Simulacrum said:

Next TGS most likely.

Does Atlus ever even attend TGS?

And this exact statement's been stated for 3 years now in this forum, so it's kinda funny.

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (4830 posts) -

My guess is Q1 or Q2 of next year.

#10 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I just hope the game gets released in 2013 instead of reveal 2013 and release 2014.

#11 Posted by cheebaking (123 posts) -

I'm interested how the sales of Arena will impact the development. Did it sell well? I get a feeling they could realise there's a huge gap in the market right now.

Although, Persona has always seemed to fill a gap no other games fill.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10519 posts) -

2014. It's going to be announced as a Dreamcast exclusive.

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@cheebaking said:

I'm interested how the sales of Arena will impact the development. Did it sell well? I get a feeling they could realise there's a huge gap in the market right now.

Persona 4 Arena was one of the fastest selling fighting games of all time in Japan. In North America, I don't think it blew away sales charts, but it probably did as well as Atlus USA was expecting it to.

#14 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

2014 of course ... nah I'd say even more 1 year after the new Xbox and new PS launch , so late 2014.

#15 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
Q1/2 2013 is what I expect at this point.  Unless Atlus is determined to turn this into another Versus, I mean shit-- when did they mention work on this game started? 2010?

@FluxWaveZ said:

In North America, I don't think it blew away sales charts, but it probably did as well as Atlus USA was expecting it to.

It did >50K, which might be what Atlus expected, but is still pretty poor in the grand scheme of things.

@FluxWaveZ said:

A fun thing to do is going through the Persona 5 forums here and seeing how much of a pile of broken dreams it is. If it's not people trying to guess at the concepts and systems that will form P5, it's people posting about a potential announcement that isn't anywhere near when they think it's going to be.

You don't even need to read the threads! Its pretty damn funny.
#16 Posted by Petiew (1332 posts) -
@mwng said:
I will also be monitoring every topic and doing the same. I wonder if it'll be announced before we hear about Arena.
#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

2014 of course ... nah I'd say even more 1 year after the new Xbox and new PS launch , so late 2014.

Which console do you think it'll be made for? I would imagine it being a 360/PS3 game, even if it's not announced until late 2014.
#18 Posted by mwng (921 posts) -
@Petiew said:
@mwng said:
I will also be monitoring every topic and doing the same. I wonder if it'll be announced before we hear about Arena.
Ohh! We should make our own poll about that!
#19 Posted by Bocam (3674 posts) -

After the new set of console are announced though Persona 5 will still be a PS3 exclusive.

#20 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (382 posts) -

Whenever the new consoles are out. They have to keep the tradition of releasing Persona RPG's on relatively dead consoles going.

#21 Posted by ma_rc_01 (364 posts) -

There's a guy in Persona 4 Golden that talks about it.

#22 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@ma_rc_01 said:

Ha, that would be cool. We didn't find out about Vincent 'till the western release of P3P after all.
#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@mutha3 said:

@ma_rc_01 said:

Ha, that would be cool. We didn't find out about Vincent 'till the western release of P3P after all.

I was going to say if there truly was someone like that in P4G, I would have known about it. But yeah, it seems we only knew about the "Man Drinking Alone" in August 2010, 9 months after the game was first released in Japan. How the heck did that happen?

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@AngelN7 said:

Which console do you think it'll be made for? I would imagine it being a 360/PS3 game, even if it's not announced until late 2014.

Is gonna be for the current consoles right? I'm just basing this on the fact that Persona 4 came for the PS2 two years after the release of the PS3 I'm not saying is gonna be for the new consoles just that it will be a game made for "last gen" consoles.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36059 posts) -

Several years after Persona 4. It's gonna be nothing like it except for the Japanese imagery. Persona 6 will use...Norse? Egyptian? Mayan? No clue.

#26 Edited by johnaze (73 posts) -

I'd imagine they'd include an announcement trailer or something with the release of SMT IV.

#27 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Makes me wonder whatever happened to this. :(

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Makes me wonder whatever happened to this. :(

Probably Shin Megami Tensei IV.

#29 Posted by ajamafalous (11862 posts) -
@Bocam said:

After the new set of console are announced though Persona 5 will still be a PS3 exclusive.

I'd have to imagine it'll be PS3 and 360. They didn't put Catherine out on both for nothing, right?
#30 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Q2 Next year but just something about the game soon. Playing through P3P for the first time and loving it, hopefully I beat it before Golden comes out

#31 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -

I doubt it will be out before 2014 so late 2013 (Q4) is my guess.

#32 Posted by Wraith1 (556 posts) -

It will be announced when Sony and Microsoft announce the next Playstation and Xbox; the game will still be PS3 and Xbox 360

#33 Posted by pyrodactyl (1890 posts) -
#34 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

Probably next year. It'll be out by 2014.

#35 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

Do you remember, back when Sony unveiled the PS3, Atlus had said that a new Shin Megami Tensei game was in the works for the console. I wonder what became of that. Was it recycled in something or completely scrapped ? I'm curious.

#36 Posted by Aegon (5408 posts) -

@Indiana_Jenkins said:

Whenever the new consoles are out. They have to keep the tradition of releasing Persona RPG's on relatively dead consoles going.

Yet still selling well.

#37 Posted by Zripwud (246 posts) -

There's already a post about the platform it will be on.

#38 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Zripwud said:

There's already a post about the platform it will be on.

No there isn't, unless you mean the 2 year old 3DS thread.

#39 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Next year as a Wii U exclusive.

Dear god... and I thought SMT IV on 3DS was evil

#40 Posted by Zripwud (246 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ http://www.giantbomb.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-5/61-30486/xbox-360/35-533060/#61

#41 Posted by AndrewB (7500 posts) -

When will then be now?

Soon.

When will they show more from the 3DS title? Never.

#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Zripwud said:

@FluxWaveZ http://www.giantbomb.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-5/61-30486/xbox-360/35-533060/#61

Alright... but how is that relevant to this thread?

#43 Edited by Zripwud (246 posts) -

It's not. That's why I'm saying that there's already a thread about that subject. And I wasn't even directing the post to you. But since you said there wasn't one I thought I'd point you to it. =D

@AndrewB said:

When will then be now?

Soon.

Spaceballs much? =D

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

@Zripwud: Oh, well thanks for clarifying!

#45 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@cheebaking said:

I'm interested how the sales of Arena will impact the development.

Probably not at all because Persona is big in Japan, so either way 5 is coming and the success of 4 in the west should easily be enough to justify its localisation.

#46 Posted by FLStyle (4589 posts) -

No idea, the entire development process of Persona 5 seems a complete mystery.

#47 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

Early 2031. 

That wasn't a typo.

#48 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

H. Not today...

#49 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

It's really frustrating to get so little information out of Atlus about P5. Hopefully they'll share some info shortly after Golden's release.

#50 Posted by FLStyle (4589 posts) -

If I had to guess I'd say they originally began work on a PS3 P5 release but scraped it in favour of next-gen tech that Sony must have given them some time in the past 2/3 years (I've heard plenty of rumours that companies have had the tech for quite some time).

This would put P5 in line with all the other next-gen games' dev cycles but would hopefully also explain why we haven't heard anything for so long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.