When will Persona 5 be revealed?

• 86 results
#51 Posted by Hailinel (22713 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

If I had to guess I'd say they originally began work on a PS3 P5 release but scraped it in favour of next-gen tech that Sony must have given them some time in the past 2/3 years (I've heard plenty of rumours that companies have had the tech for quite some time).

This would put P5 in line with all the other next-gen games' dev cycles but would hopefully also explain why we haven't heard anything for so long.

No. I'd be surprised if Persona 5 isn't on current generation hardware. P3 and P4 were both released on the PS2 well after the PS3 was released. Atlus hadn't even made a PS3 or Xbox 360 game until Catherine.

#52 Posted by Nux (2211 posts) -

feel like it will be in Q4 of 2013. The last time I checked up on it sketches for the game were being drawn and approved.

#53 Posted by Nightriff (4349 posts) -

So do they tend to announce there game and with a few months to a year they release it? I haven't been on the Persona train that long so I'm not familiar with how they announce and then release their games.

#54 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

So do they tend to announce there game and with a few months to a year they release it? I haven't been on the Persona train that long so I'm not familiar with how they announce and then release their games.

Goddammit, I just realized that I messed up in the OP as I mixed up some release dates with what was just supposed to be announcement dates. Catherine isn't listed, which was announced 6 months before its Japanese release.

Gotta fix the P4 date, but P3 was announced in March of 2006, 4 months before its release date in July.

Edit: There we go! Much more handy, now. You can clearly see the delay between their announcements and the releases, which is relatively short for most of the Persona Team's recent games.

#55 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

So according to the pattern, when it gets officially announced, you could be fairly certain that it'll come out relatively soon.

I just hope it's revolutionary as far as RPGs go. Good story, fresh/fun mechanics, kickass music...it could make for some good times.

#56 Posted by SomeJerk (2971 posts) -

They're doing it right, unlike so many other devs. "Yo here's bullshots and early screenshots and musical snippets and words from script writers and designers on this game, it'll be out in five years, kthx"

And Persona 4 was released in 2008, was it delayed or intended to come out roughly two years after the PS3s release?

#57 Posted by Aegon (5117 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

They're doing it right, unlike so many other devs. "Yo here's bullshots and early screenshots and musical snippets and words from script writers and designers on this game, it'll be out in five years, kthx" And Persona 4 was released in 2008, was it delayed or intended to come out roughly two years after the PS3s release?

I think the important part to notice about P4 is that it came out 2 years after P3.

#58 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

And Persona 4 was released in 2008, was it delayed or intended to come out roughly two years after the PS3s release?

I don't believe so. The Persona Team tends to reuse assets as much as they can and they released P4 for what was already an established console instead of using way more resources to focus on PS3 development.

#59 Posted by YI_Orange (1073 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@SomeJerk said:

They're doing it right, unlike so many other devs. "Yo here's bullshots and early screenshots and musical snippets and words from script writers and designers on this game, it'll be out in five years, kthx" And Persona 4 was released in 2008, was it delayed or intended to come out roughly two years after the PS3s release?

I think the important part to notice about P4 is that it came out 2 years after P3.

And P3 came out 7 years after EP. Seems like generational shifts give them some trouble.

#60 Posted by Aegon (5117 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

@Aegon said:

@SomeJerk said:

And P3 came out 7 years after EP. Seems like generational shifts give them some trouble.

they had nocturne in 2004, DDS 1 and 2 in 2005 so they were filling the other years with other games. So the only way that's happening is if they decide to release a string of non-persona console games before P5, games that they haven't announced while they have confirmed working on P5.

#61 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

Taking a look at those release/announce dates, it sounds like we won't see an English release until 2014. 

#62 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

Never it will simply come into existence.

#63 Edited by Rafaelfc (1284 posts) -

I just hope they put this out in a console I can play... I never had a ps2 and am not really interested in buying a Vita just for Persona 4...

Here's hoping 5 sees the light of day on PS3 / Xbox 360 or whatever next gen thing (I doubt it will be a next gen game though)

#64 Posted by Zeik (2113 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

I just hope they put this out in a console I can play... I never had a ps2 and am not really interested in buying a Vita just for Persona 4...

Here's hoping 5 sees the light of day on PS3 / Xbox 360 or whatever next gen thing (I doubt it will be a next gen game though)

It's all but confirmed to be on the PS3 (and maybe 360.) They mentioned awhile back that they decided not to use Catherine's engine for the game and instead develop their own proprietary engine. Which is probably a reason it's taking so long.

#65 Posted by spykereightsix (78 posts) -

I'm betting it'll be announced at the Tokyo Game Show or E3, but not released in the US until Q1 2014 for PS3 and 360. This kind of depresses me though...

#66 Posted by wafflez (519 posts) -

The only answer I'll accept... NOT SOON ENOUGH.

#67 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

I think it will be announced during this E3, to be released before the end of the year... So, 2014 for the west.

#68 Posted by zecarlos9634 (1 posts) -

Hopefully while I'm still breathing

#69 Posted by CottonWolf (87 posts) -

Wild speculation: Announced as PS3 exclusive at E3 after Sony throw all the dollars at Atlus, not released until 2 years into the PS4 lifecycle, so spring 2015.

#70 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

I find it funny how this is the most popular Giant Bomb forum in the list, but absolutely nothing's been said about Persona 5 in a long time.

#71 Posted by TooWalrus (12977 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

I find it funny how this is the most popular Giant Bomb forum in the list, but absolutely nothing's been said about Persona 5 in a long time.

Yeah... we haven't really head a reason to talk about it lately, but we had a good long run of discussion in the wake of Persona 4 Arena & Golden.

#72 Posted by Superkenon (1191 posts) -

Tomorrow.

#73 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

Me too. I was really disappointed when the page name got rid of the SMT prefix, because when I saw that + it being on the Most Popular list, I figured it had "really" been announced. 
#74 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Have you seen the ending of Persona 4?

#75 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

@CottonWolf said:

Wild speculation: Announced as PS3 exclusive at E3 after Sony throw all the dollars at Atlus, not released until 2 years into the PS4 lifecycle, so spring 2015.

I can't see Sony spending any money to guarantee an exclusive for PS3 when the new consoles will already be out. Even if the new consoles weren't out yet, the Persona series is very niche outside of Japan, so there wouldn't be much point to buying exclusivity since it will already be a de facto PS3 exclusive in Japan given the 360's irrelevance in that territory. I also don't think Atlus would bother introducing the Xbox audience to Persona with P4 Arena if they weren't going to put the next major game on that platform.

#76 Posted by LaserLambert (165 posts) -

well judging from the data presented, hopefully it is announced in March and comes out in July, but that's without knowledge of if that's US releases or what?

#77 Posted by CottonWolf (87 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@CottonWolf said:

I can't see Sony spending any money to guarantee an exclusive for PS3 when the new consoles will already be out. Even if the new consoles weren't out yet, the Persona series is very niche outside of Japan, so there wouldn't be much point to buying exclusivity since it will already be a de facto PS3 exclusive in Japan given the 360's irrelevance in that territory. I also don't think Atlus would bother introducing the Xbox audience to Persona with P4 Arena if they weren't going to put the next major game on that platform.

I certainly think that Sony would be willing to throw money to keep the Persona series exclusive, especially if Golden sold as many Vitas as it anecdotally did. In fact, Sony paying huge amounts of money to make it a Vita exclusive would probably make more sense than to pay for it to be a PS3 exclusive. It would be cheaper for Atlus to make too. Not that I think it's in any way likely, just throwing it out there.

#78 Posted by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Coming 2014 exclusively to the Playstation 2!

#79 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

@CottonWolf said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@CottonWolf said:

I certainly think that Sony would be willing to throw money to keep the Persona series exclusive, especially if Golden sold as many Vitas as it anecdotally did. In fact, Sony paying huge amounts of money to make it a Vita exclusive would probably make more sense than to pay for it to be a PS3 exclusive. It would be cheaper for Atlus to make too. Not that I think it's in any way likely, just throwing it out there.

The Persona series isn't exactly the biggest selling franchise around, and it certainly won't be selling any PS3s in 2013 or 2014, so there really isn't much reason for Sony to pay for the exclusive rights. Almost all of Sony's exclusives are from first party studios, meaning paying for third party exclusives is not really their thing. Again, Sony isn't going to spend the money to make sure a series that doesn't even typically sell a million copies will be an exclusive for a last gen system. Golden was a big help for the Vita, but in the grand scheme it didn't really do a whole lot to change that system's direction, which isn't great at the moment. I know there is this mindset among those who care about console wars that exclusives are the most important thing ever, but they only really matter for the console makers if they are going to help push unit sales, and we are way too far into the generation for something like Persona to matter at all in that regard.

EDIT: It would certainly make much more sense for Sony to pay for it to be a Vita exclusive, but I don't see Atlus wanting to put what may be the most anticipated game they've ever made on a system that has such a small install base.

#80 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@CottonWolf said:

Even if the new consoles weren't out yet, the Persona series is very niche outside of Japan

Well it still sold like 500k outside of Japan, making it more successful than a lot of western games. Such as Syndicate. (4, not Golden)

#81 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@CottonWolf said:

Even if the new consoles weren't out yet, the Persona series is very niche outside of Japan

Well it still sold like 500k outside of Japan, making it more successful than a lot of western games. Such as Syndicate. (4, not Golden)

It was extremely successful outside of Japan, at least in terms of its budget and expectations. According to Vgchartz (I know, not the most reliable, but it's data nonetheless) Persona 4 sold 820k units total, 360k of which were in Japan, 340k in NA, and 80k in Europe. Golden sold 340k overall, 250k of which were in Japan, and 80k in NA.

However, while these kinds of numbers are probably excellent for Atlus given the budget and expectations of Persona 4, they are not the kind of numbers that prompt a console maker to pay for exclusivity. These are still niche numbers for North America and Europe.

Also, look at these numbers for Persona 4 Arena: PS3: 340k, Xbox: 80k.

That is indicative of the reason why Sony doesn't have to bother with exclusivity for Persona, it is for all intents and purposes, exclusive by default.

#82 Posted by endaround (2129 posts) -

Actually, does it skip the PS3? They obviosuly ahve been working on it, but with Sony set to declare the Cell architecture a dead end does Atlus make the move now to a new engine that can easily move between the consoles (and PC) instead of staying with an engine that is on a console that is falling off.

#83 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@endaround said:

Actually, does it skip the PS3? They obviosuly ahve been working on it, but with Sony set to declare the Cell architecture a dead end does Atlus make the move now to a new engine that can easily move between the consoles (and PC) instead of staying with an engine that is on a console that is falling off.

Gamebryo isn't a PS3 exclusive engine in the least, and that's what the new engine they internally developed for Persona 5 is based off of.

#84 Posted by hamyoh1 (1 posts) -

We'll probably find out in June this year, Atlus is attending the E3 convention, it seems appropriate for the reveal to be then.

#85 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

@hamyoh1 said:

We'll probably find out in June this year, Atlus is attending the E3 convention, it seems appropriate for the reveal to be then.

I do not think that E3 is the right place for this. It will probably announced in Famitsu and then first shown at tgs or so.

#86 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

@hamyoh1 said:

Not happening. E3 is definitely not the venue to announce a game like this unless it was something huge like a next generation console game.

This used to be a pretty interesting poll, but the site update blew it up. Going by memory, the percentages were approximately something like:

2012 - 5%

Q1 2013 - 15%

Q2 2013 - 30%

Q3 2013 - 15% (I voted for this one)

Q4 2013 - 10%

2014 - 15%

Never - 10%

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.