Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Which team constitution would you prefer?

• 66 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Basically, which team constitution design would you prefer Persona 5 to be based around?

In Persona 1 and Persona 2, there were only ever 5 people in the team, meaning that the player did not have to make any choices regarding who to bring into dungeons. There also was no tactical support, so there was no context given for discovering enemy weaknesses except for when they were discovered by chance.

The formula changed in Persona 3 and Persona 4, where there was a bigger team of Persona users and players were forced to choose who to bring into the field, most likely sticking to their initial choice for the duration of the game. There was also the introduction of tactical support characters Fuuka and Rise (who replaced Mitsuru and Teddie respectively) who, in addition to conveying enemy weaknesses and strengths, could also provide other kinds of support (like Fuuka's Oracle ability and Rise's new abilities in Persona 4 Golden).

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

I'm for more characters since that's one of my favorite parts of Persona. So I say more party members.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Oh, I don't know, honestly at this point I trust just Atlas to make a quality game. That minor detail wouldn't bother me either way. I'm really more curious about what the tone of the characters and story are going to be like. Gameplay isn't the largest draw, for me.

EDIT: I suppose I do enjoy having a support character chiming in, so if a 5-man team means not having a support character, I suppose I'll stick with the P3-P4 model. I don't mind if they shake it up a bit, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

5. Why call it Persona 5 if you're not gonna have 5 characters? FALSE ADVERTISING!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus said:

Oh, I don't know, honestly at this point I trust just Atlas to make a quality game. That minor detail wouldn't bother me either way. I'm really more curious about what the tone of the characters and story are going to be like. Gameplay isn't the largest draw, for me.

Yeah, making threads/polls for P5 even though we practically don't have any information on the game is my way of biding time for anything and this is a topic that I just thought of.

Took a bit of thinking, but my vote goes for the 4 man team + tactical support. I like the concept of a character who's powers is exclusively to support the team in terms of tactics and not just a healer. Though, I can't help but think of FFXIII's battle system when I look at option C. A 3 man party with "Paradigm Shifts" being replaced by Persona changing in a more active battle system could be interesting.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bocam

Whatever Persona 5 turns out to be, I want them to get rid of their otaku pandering. Make me feel like a piece of shit for dating multiple girls, don't have the girls be pure virgin waifus, etc.

This will never happen.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam said:

Make me feel like a piece of shit for dating multiple girls

Persona 4 Golden does this on Valentine's Day, doesn't it?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah, this series has been around long enough to show that the ability to change & fuse Personas isn't completely unique. What's stopping them from having, like, three 'chosen ones,' to control? It's an interesting idea, for sure. Persona 5 is definitely my most anticipated game at this point though, by far.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Bocam said:

Make me feel like a piece of shit for dating multiple girls

Persona 4 Golden does this on Valentine's Day, doesn't it?

Yes and it's the best thing in the fucking game.

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By aznjon12

I like 4 man teams because you'll probably get way too much coverage with a 5 man team and I enjoy paying my mans the Fox.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Commisar123

I like 4 man, covers all my bases that way but I'm not overwhelmed

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Flappy

Like other people, it doesn't really matter to me. As long as the tone of the story and the characters are both awesome, I'm pretty much sold. Oh, and the game must have style. P4's menus/art and whatnot look amazing in HD.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

An 8 person team consisting entirely of Teddie

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Turambar

@Bocam said:

Whatever Persona 5 turns out to be, I want them to get rid of their otaku pandering. Make me feel like a piece of shit for dating multiple girls, don't have the girls be pure virgin waifus, etc.

This will never happen.

So you want Persona 3 then? Very annoying to manage social links due to a hidden jealousy meter?

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By neoepoch

The way that P3/P4 did it was you had more characters that you could chose from, but each of them could only use 1 Persona and were limited in that Persona's skillset. In P1 and P2 you only had 5 party members ever (more or less) but each one could use multiple Personas, so there was a lot of variety in terms of the skills your team had (they still had their stats predetermined by the game, but you could change abilities at least). They all had pretty good stories, and that is what I'm most excited for...especially with the implications that P4A made in its ending.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Teddie

If anything, I'd like for all the characters to gain experience whether you take them into the dungeon with you or not. It'd be great if I could have switched out Naoto during boss battles without having to go and grind Kanji up 40 levels or so.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bocam

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

So you want Persona 3 then? Very annoying to manage social links due to a hidden jealousy meter?

No, I want the next game to have a tone more like Persona 2.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Turambar

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

Now that will never happen, not when the much lighter tone of the last two games sold far better.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nightriff

I'll go with something different but if they did P3/4 style I wouldn't care because I still like that style. Haven't played 1 or 2 yet so I don't know how the 5 team works.

Something different.....something different.....XCOM like with your team? I don't know, why I'm not a designer

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bocam

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

Now that will never happen, not when the much lighter tone of the last two games sold far better.

I know... I'm not delusional ;-;

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

I know... I'm not delusional ;-;

Not that this has much to do with this poll, but I don't understand when people say that P3 and P4 have a lighter tone after playing P1 and P2:IS. There were a ton of lighthearted moments in Innocent Sin, like when you discover the chaos that is Maya's room, the girl group moment, the blimp taking off with triumphant music and then a record scratch as it catches fire. On the opposite end, P3 and P4 have their share of dark moments. To me, all of them are actually much more similar than some people state.

I haven't played Eternal Punishment, though, and that might actually be the darkest one from the little I've read of its story.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By neurotic

I can't divorce the idea of 5 party members from the battle systems of P1 and 2. Which I hate. Anyway, if it ain't broke don't fix it, as they say.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunter5024

A 4 man party system is definitely bettern than 5, if anything I'd almost hope they cut it down to 3, I know most people aren't a fan of smaller groups, but I feel like the wild card mechanic already gives you so much variation that all the other party members barely matter. So I guess what I really wish is that they would find a way to make non MC's more relevant in battle, at least like a unique skill or something. Also there needs to be some sort of out of party levelling mechanic, because the current system stifles experimentation.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By TobbRobb

Support characters are annoying as heeell. So none of that please, or have the context of them taking notes of weaknesses but make them shut up, either way works.

I'm all for many characters, and choosing who I want to bring with me and I find the 4man party to be a good fit. So make it 8 or so characters and let me bring 4 into battle.

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RWBladewing

@TobbRobb said:

Support characters are annoying as heeell. So none of that please, or have the context of them taking notes of weaknesses but make them shut up, either way works.

I'm all for many characters, and choosing who I want to bring with me and I find the 4man party to be a good fit. So make it 8 or so characters and let me bring 4 into battle.

I was going to make some "clever" sarcastic post about pretending to disagree with this while being repeatedly interrupted by support characters talking but instead I'll just say I agree. Any flavor this may have added to the games is long since lost for me after hearing Rise squeal and Fuuka monotone about every single thing that happened at any time.

I've never actually dated more than one girl in these games because I would already feel like a piece of shit for doing it even if the game doesn't tell me to. Does that make me a nice person or just insane?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hunter5024 said:

Also there needs to be some sort of out of party levelling mechanic, because the current system stifles experimentation.

Holy shit, this! THIS! THIS! I actually went grinding with Chie in the LAST FUCKING DUNGEON. Spent some hours doing that because she was... Level 31? Something like that. The battle system was fun, and i had much more free time when i played it for the first time, but i couldn't do this today. And seriously, if what this gentleman said became reality, i would buy Persona 5 day one. Well, i'm already going to buy it day one, but if this happened, i would buy it day one, but HARDER.
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Terramagi

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

You're better off holding out hope for them to get off their ass and make SMT4 at this point.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Levius

I would be OK with the P3/P4 system. I would like to be able to switch out support characters though. Maybe one could analyse faster, one would give you back more Hp/Sp and one would fill out more of the map; or something like this.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By YI_Orange

@Terramagi said:

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

You're better off holding out hope for them to get off their ass and make SMT4 at this point.

Aren't they making SMT IV for the 3DS?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Petiew

I feel like the support characters were basically useless in P4. I could generally keep track of the weaknesses on my own, and even Rise's max social link power was more often than not totally useless. "Umm, probably don't use fire on one of these 3 different monsters. Not sure which one, but one of them. Maybe that big fire using monster."
    The battles were also faster paced than in 3, so the support often got their lines cut off when someone else started to scream.
     If they keep the P3 and P4 battle system I think a 5 person party would be overkill. I assume they're going to mix it up though. 

@Hunter5024: When I played through P3 I always swapped characters in and out, which made boss fights easier than if I'd kept only one party. By the end of the game the MC was a few levels ahead but I had a pretty strong cast.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tylea002

REINVENT THE SYSTEM

MAKE IT CRAZIER

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

@Petiew: I bet that method led to more overall grinding than people who just used the same core characters.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Petiew
    @Hunter5024: Probably. The night S Links and stat building can be completed really early on though, so if you're not grinding there's nothing to do at night. The structure of P3 is better for levelling, whereas in P4 you're skipping on valuable social link time.
    It never felt particuarly like I was grinding any more than in P4 though. The MC can win battles easily by himself, and boss battles were easier since I could pick and choose party members instead of having to grind if one or two of my core four were weak to a boss.
    It's basically how I play all JRPGs now. Might as well use the huge cast of characters they give you.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ: Persona 3/4 did not have main characters that had sex with old men for money and did drugs.

RWBladewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RWBladewing

@Petiew: I did this in 3 as well and tried to do it in 4 but eventually gave up. I don't know if it was just me but characters who were behind felt like they caught up a lot faster in 3, especially with the exp bonus shuffle time. The other reason was money. In 3 I could buy all the best gear for the entire group at all times while fusing personas and using the healing clock like crazy, whereas in 4 just buying 1 or 2 weapons would clean me out and healing with Fox was much more expensive than the clock. I couldn't keep everyone's gear up to date and leveling sessions seemed inefficient with those healing prices so eventually I just stopped using those other characters. The fact that the first 4 characters form a near-perfectly-balanced party also didn't help in motivating me to use the others.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hunter5024

@Bocam said:

@FluxWaveZ: Persona 3/4 did not have main characters that had sex with old men for money and did drugs.

Whoa what? I guess I really need to play my copy of Persona 2...

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By Mcfart

@Hunter5024 said:

A 4 man party system is definitely bettern than 5, if anything I'd almost hope they cut it down to 3, I know most people aren't a fan of smaller groups, but I feel like the wild card mechanic already gives you so much variation that all the other party members barely matter. So I guess what I really wish is that they would find a way to make non MC's more relevant in battle, at least like a unique skill or something. Also there needs to be some sort of out of party levelling mechanic, because the current system stifles experimentation.

In SMT Nocturne, the party consisted of the protaginist+3 personas (called Demons here), and so the party could vary as you could fuse new dudes for your team, and the protaginist was a demon as well, but had a "skill tree" where he could learn unique skills.

Some of those hard-to-get skills were OP, but it made him unique, and most definitely the strongest protagonist in a SMT game.

As for the P5 party, they should stick with 4 characters..tried and tested. However, maybe there should be more uniqueness for the party members. In P4 the only one who achieved that was Naoto because of her unique affiliation towards light/dark, but I like someone else's suggestion that party members can instill different buffs like filling out the map or treasure finder.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By mutha3

Eh, having 4 or 5 characters is a design choice, so whatever works best. I prefer having more dudes, though, so I'd like a 5 person crew better.

(the "support character" thing doesn't add much to the games, anyway.)

@Bocam

said:

This will never happen.

bocam my man.you're pretty alright.  

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

@Bocam said:

This will never happen.

I think people vastly overstate how dark the P2 saga is. There is some incredibly goofy shit in there. In fact, I'd argue that P3 takes itself more seriously, despite also being full of goofy dumb stuff.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bocam

@mutha3: I was fine with the pandering until P4G, that game pushed it over the edge.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Bocam said:

Persona 1 and 2 did not have children who's parents were killed by a teammate, causing those children to want to murder said teammate and commit suicide afterwards. It works both ways.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I've never played any if the Persona games before picking up Persona 4 Golden for the Vita. Currently in the bathhouse looking for Kanji. Having a lot of fun and the game seems to balance dark, serious sequences with the light heated shit. Are any of the previous games worth a play through? I have to admit, had it not been for all the talk about the Persona series on the forums here I would have never picked up the game. Glad I did though, it's a genre I had previously written off but I'm having a blast.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By delsaber

I'd prefer a 5-man team in the P2 style (i.e. gridless; let P1's mechanics stay in the 90s where they belong) but with a support character a la P3/P4. Mix it up a little by giving us a choice of supports, or even two supports serving different purposes. For instance, you could slot in Fuuka for dungeon mapping stuff, and Rise for battle analysis.

Regardless of how the exact mechanics turn out, ideally it shouldn't be a total reuse of either system. Keep it moving.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By phantomzxro

I would like the p3 & p4 party system system but I'm sure i would be cool with whatever they come up with. I would like a combination of the two, I kinda like in p3 that sometimes party members were unable which made me play the cast more evenly. So if they had an item they gives the wears half exp earned outside of battle would help with grinding characters you don't use.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Turambar

@Bocam said:

@mutha3: I was fine with the pandering until P4G, that game pushed it over the edge.

How is P4G doing things differently than P3FES?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Turambar

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Bocam said:

Persona 1 and 2 did not have children who's parents were killed by a teammate, causing those children to want to murder said teammate and commit suicide afterwards. It works both ways.

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but the lighter tones of P3/4 is far more structured, and walled off from the srsbzn stuff than P1/2. There was no delineation of "school life" where there was no actual danger and "midnight hour / tv world" where dangers abound in the earlier two.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By circlenine

I'd like the 4+support, but I'd want them to add in out of party members gaining the same experience as everyone else to make it viable to have everyone in. I would have loved to get some time in with Naota, Kanji, and Teddy in P4, but they were so far behind everyone else I had that it just didn't make sense to spend the time grinding them up to par with my main 3.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

I am all for satellite or broadcast oriented Persona because I think they look even crazier than normal Persona. So... I like the system from 3 and 4.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Turambar said:

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but the lighter tones of P3/4 is far more structured, and walled off from the srsbzn stuff than P1/2. There was no delineation of "school life" where there was no actual danger and "midnight hour / tv world" where dangers abound in the earlier two.

Sure, the one way I could see people arguing that the tone is "darker" is that in P1 and P2, there was an ever-present sense of danger with demons roaming all over the town. Because those games didn't have the daily schedule system of the newer Persona games, things were always "on" like and the characters were constantly working towards saving the world, unlike P3/P4 where there are times of respite. Still, I don't think that warrants people's seemingly overestimation of the older games' tone.

On topic, I like the idea some people have been suggesting of multiple tactical support characters to choose from like P3 and P4 have with their battle characters.

@phantomzxro said:

I kinda like in p3 that sometimes party members were unable which made me play the cast more evenly.

I forgot about that and I like that system, as well. Something that occasionally forces players to play with other characters in a party instead of the ones they're used to would be interesting.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50  Edited By cutyoface

I liked the lighter tone of 4 more than the dark of the 3rd.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.