Will Persona 5 be released for the Xbox 360?

• 74 results
Edited 10 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Will Persona 5 be released for the Xbox 360? (275 votes)

Yes 39%
No 61%

Whether an Xbox 360 release is eventually announced and released in Japan or just set for release in North America and/or Europe, do you believe that an Xbox 360 version of Persona 5 will eventually exist?

There seems to be more than a few people who believe that the game will be released for the Xbox 360, as well as the already announced PS3 version, when the game eventually makes it to North America, but I just can't see it.

Have there been many cases in the past where a game was only announced for PS3 in Japan but released for the Xbox 360 in addition to the PS3 elsewhere?

#51 Edited by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

@xyzygy said:

If they develop it for PS3 then port it over to 360, do you really think it would be a sink? I know that technically speaking, I've never heard of a PS3-developed game ported to the 360 that came out terrible. All Assassin's games since AC2 have been PS3 lead platform and look at them - and then there are fighting games, RPGs, etc.

I mean, I don't know much about actually developing games in terms of code and stuff but I was always under the impression that the PS3 was the hardest to develop for - after that the 360 port is easier and less time consuming, as opposed to vice versa.

And as for the demographics, I'm sure there are enough people in NA who would buy this to make up for the porting costs. I mean it's probably the biggest niche RPG series in gaming. Sure it's still a niche, but it's a big one.

I don't know about the numbers or technicalities of development and neither do you, so that's why it could be detrimental if the costs of porting the game to the 360 just for a western audience—and everything that would entail such as making their internally developed engine function with the 360 platform—would surpass the profit they would get from whatever western 360 audience would purchase Persona 5.

All I know is that porting a PS3 lead game to the 360 isn't as simple as pressing a button, and neither is manufacturing costs, licensing costs or any other associated cost.

Nobody said it was as easy as pressing a button, I'm just saying that developers have noted that it's easier to do PS3->360. And then there's also the option of not even releasing the game in Japan to cut back more in a region where it surely won't sell - what was the most recent game that did that? Was it FFXIII-3? (EDIT - Metal Gear Rising)

As for manufacturing costs, wouldn't the 360 version technically be a little cheaper because of DVD vs BD?

Regardless I hope to see it come.

#52 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Nobody said it was as easy as pressing a button, I'm just saying that developers have noted that it's easier to do PS3->360. And then there's also the option of not even releasing the game in Japan to cut back more in a region where it surely won't sell - what was the most recent game that did that? Was it FFXIII-3? (EDIT - Metal Gear Rising)

As for manufacturing costs, wouldn't the 360 version technically be a little cheaper because of DVD vs BD?

And again, saying it could be cheaper to port a PS3 game to the 360 than vice-versa or that they would make a 360 version just for western audiences doesn't prove that it would be profitable for Atlus to do so at all. Your statement was "I don't really see why porting it over would be detrimental", and I explained why. It's simple: if the cost surpasses the demand, then it wouldn't be profitable.

We don't know what the cost would be and we also don't know what the western 360 demand for Persona 5 would be in comparison, so we can only guess whether it would be profitable for them or not.

#53 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

And then there's also the option of not even releasing the game in Japan to cut back more in a region where it surely won't sell

We're talking about Persona 5, right?

#55 Posted by Petiew (1354 posts) -

@video_game_king: They're probably referring to the hypothetical 360 version since they mentioned that Metal Gear Rising did the same thing.

#56 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@petiew said:

@video_game_king: They're probably referring to the hypothetical 360 version since they mentioned that Metal Gear Rising did the same thing.

Yeah, and games like Dynasty Warriors 8, as well. Though in DW8's case the 360 version also suffered some performance issues at launch because of that. Regardless, if Atlus had any plans to release the game on the 360, they would have made that clear by now. They're not going to do a full port to another platform just for Atlus USA.

#57 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@xyzygy: then compare it to any other JRPG. There are reasons why games like Xillia 1 and 2 for example were not released on the 360 and Namco is also "much" bigger than Atlus. Atlus has like 60-80 people in Japan and then to make even 2 versions of a probably very big game is out of the question for them. Software wise the 360 is done except some western 3rd party ports and Titanfall of course.

Hoping of a 360 version is a nice dream but we should look at it more realistically.

#58 Edited by Hunter5024 (5893 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Regardless, if Atlus had any plans to release the game on the 360, they would have made that clear by now.

Yeah it definitely would have come up at some point, considering the metric ton of information they've released about the game so far.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Regardless, if Atlus had any plans to release the game on the 360, they would have made that clear by now.

Yeah it definitely would have come up at some point, considering the metric ton of information they've released about the game so far.

I know you're being sarcastic, but when platforms for P4A and Catherine were announced, they made it clear that the games were coming to both platforms. They did not do the same for Persona 5.

#60 Edited by Hunter5024 (5893 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but when platforms for P4A and Catherine were announced, they made it clear that the games were coming to both platforms. They did not do the same for Persona 5.

Those games both had a lot more information during the initial announcement though too. We didn't even have a proper trailer for this, just a little teaser. All we know about Persona 5 is there are chairs, and we are slave, and we may or may not want emancipation, and its definitely going to launch on ps3. It just seems a little early to be sure.

#61 Posted by Nightriff (5239 posts) -

How did P4A and Catherine do on the 360? That will determine my answer. Kinda hope not because I'm a snob, sorry.

#62 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

It wont come to 360. They have been sony only for the persona series *arena is not part of that*. Catherine sold like trash on 360. Japan gives no shits for Xbox. Also, Atlus has never really cared about "Maximizing" sales as they know. If you want to play it, you will play it whether you have the console or not. They know the fans will go out and get the tools needed to play it. I would most definitely buy a console for a persona game alone, luckily, I am a sony fan so no need >:D

#63 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@mcshank said:

It wont come to 360. They have been sony only for the persona series *arena is not part of that*. Catherine sold like trash on 360. Japan gives no shits for Xbox. Also, Atlus has never really cared about "Maximizing" sales as they know. If you want to play it, you will play it whether you have the console or not. They know the fans will go out and get the tools needed to play it. I would most definitely buy a console for a persona game alone, luckily, I am a sony fan so no need >:D

Well, there is Persona Q...

#64 Edited by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

@nightriff said:

How did P4A and Catherine do on the 360? That will determine my answer. Kinda hope not because I'm a snob, sorry.

They did not do as well as their PS3 counter parts, based on the information from VGcharts, but I dunno if their information is reliable, so take that with a grain of salt.

#65 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@noctisluciscaelum said:

@nightriff said:

They did not do as well as their PS3 counter parts, based on the information from VGcharts, but I dunno if their information is reliable, so take that with a grain of salt.

All I know for sure are the Japanese 360 sales because of Media Create, but I think it's fair to assume that the PS3 versions of those games did much better than the 360 ones in North America.

#66 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@noctisluciscaelum said:

@nightriff said:

All I know for sure are the Japanese 360 sales because of Media Create, but I think it's fair to assume that the PS3 versions of those games did much better than the 360 ones in North America.

It's also worth noting again that Arc System Works, the developers of P4A, have abandoned development for Microsoft hardware after releasing a number of games on both the PS3 and 360. Their games simply have not sold as well on Xbox and they're cutting their losses with P4A2 and Guilty Gear Xrd being PS3-only.

#67 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2391 posts) -

I'm thinking ps3 only in Japan and ps3/360 for the US. (Didn't Final Fantasy XIII do this?)

#68 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

I'm thinking ps3 only in Japan and ps3/360 for the US. (Didn't Final Fantasy XIII do this?)

No, both versions were released in Japan, as well. Also, Square Enix and Atlus run on vastly different business models.

#69 Edited by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -
@oscar__explosion said:

FFXIII was exclusive to PS3 in japan for a while, but eventually a version of FFXIII with English voice acting for Xbox 360 was released in Japan and bombed. The only other game I can think of that has done this is Metal Gear Rising, where it never got a 360 release in Japan. I'm sure there are others though.

Back on the topic of P5: If it doesn't release for 360, get a PS3, tons of other great PS3 exclusives you can try out as well.

#70 Edited by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@hunter5024 said:

@hailinel said:

But didn't Blizzard do that exact thing with Diablo 3? When it was announced for PS3, Sony was showing the game off and even announced it as if it was a console exclusive, then come September and both console versions were released at the same time. I remember even reading some articles with the basic jist of it being "You probably didn't know but D3 is also coming for X360". And I'm pretty sure the exact same thing is happening with D3 on PS4/X1.

Bottom line is, wait until we know more. I know the teaser and extremely tiny amount of info about the game doesn't reveal anything, but that's not like the teaser doesn't openly say "Only for PS3". Just PS3.

#71 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Japan, like the rest of the world should have, forgot about the Xbox 360 years ago, shortly after Microsoft did.

#72 Posted by ghostyTrickster (323 posts) -

They said in a Famitsu article that they built a whole new engine for P5 and are not using what they used for Catherine. Couple that with that fact that Persona has never come out on anything other than a Playstation console, and the Xbox is a total failure in Japan, no, it probably won't. Persona has always been a rather niche series with a ton of weird Japanese culture and oddities in it and I highly doubt that the Persona team would bother porting the game over to sell a few thousand additional copies in the US when the PS3 version is guaranteed to to gangbusters in Japan and US/EU already.

#73 Posted by Master_Funk (740 posts) -

It would have been announced by now. Catherine was announced immediately for both consoles. I think its a sega yakuza style relationship with Sony, where they can release off-shoots or other games (binary domain), but mainline stuff stays exclusive.

#74 Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

@xyzygy: That's Blizzard though, they can't exactly announce an Xbox 360 game at a Sony event. D3 for consoles was announced at a Sony event, the PS4 conference if i'm not mistaken. Blizzard can put out anything on any console and it will sell just fine.

All I'm saying is If the game is PS3 exclusive get a PS3, tons of other great exclusives to check out as well. If its not, great, get it on 360. Sure we know little about the game, but based on the Persona mainline track record PlayStation: P1, P2:IS, and P2:EP. PlayStation 2: P3, P3:FES, P4. One would think they would continue to be on Sony platforms.

#75 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3505 posts) -

I doubt it, but that's based on my feeling the 360 is slipping into it's afterlife very fast. So maybe it's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.