Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Xbox 360?

• 61 results
    casualterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By casualterror

What do you think the chances are that it'll be released on the Xbox 360 as well as the PS3?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

If it's on consoles it will most certainly be on the 360, I mean Catherine was and all. 

That said I honestly think it's going to be a Vita game, at least I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Zenaxzd: I sure hope it's now a Vita game. I don't want to buy that thing. I'd much rather they made it for PS3 and 360 on the Catherine engine.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Zenaxzd: I sure hope it's now a Vita game. I don't want to buy that thing. I'd much rather they made it for PS3 and 360 on the Catherine engine.

Me too, but Japan really doesn't seem to give a shit about consoles anymore for the most part and that is where a large part of the market for the game would be.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

What consoles is that fighting game coming out for?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Commisar123

I'd say yes, considering Catherine and all, but who knows

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dany

Damn well better be.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

That's assuming that it's coming out this console generation, or at all.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@believer258 said:

Both I think. but that means nothing for Persona 5. For one a different company is making it and it's a fighting game so course it's going to be on console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Seeing how Atlus has been publishing most of it's game cross platform now, I'd say yeah.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258 said:

Both I think. but that means nothing for Persona 5. For one a different company is making it and it's a fighting game so course it's going to be on console.

Yeah, but I figured that Atlus might be publishing the fighting game. Maybe the fighting game will be a good indication of where it will be appearing?

Also, this is going to be a JRPG. Of course it's going to be on a console, those hardly ever appear on PC's as far as I know. Except for FF7. And Recettear.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @believer258 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but I figured that Atlus might be publishing the fighting game. Maybe the fighting game will be a good indication of where it will be appearing?

Also, this is going to be a JRPG. Of course it's going to be on a console, those hardly ever appear on PC's as far as I know. Except for FF7. And Recettear.

Easy now, FF8 was on PC too iirc. 

On a more serious note if anything Catherine would be a better indication of where it will end up since they can just use the same engine, but like I said I am skeptical considering the top selling console game in Japan this year didn't even break 1 million (if you want to also dig even deeper Square only shipped 850k copies of the game) while 3 of the other 4 top selling games all over 1 million were on handhelds. 

I mean this is all pure speculation on my part but I don't think it's entirely out of the question to see P5 on a handheld, at the very least maybe some sort of Vita/PS3/360 crossover nonsense. As much as the GB community enjoys Persona it's still a fairly niche series and I am sure Atlus wants to get as many sells as they can in Japan where it will probably make a large part of it's money. 

Slight edit to fix stuff.
    shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shootermcclay

Why not buy both consoles?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Justin258

@Zenaxzd said:

@believer258 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258 said:

On a more serious note if anything Catherine would be a better indication of where it will end up since they can just use the same engine, but like I said I am skeptical considering the top selling console game in Japan this year didn't even break 1 million (if you want to also dig even deeper Square only shipped 850k copies of the game) while the other 4 top selling games all over 1 million were on handhelds. I mean this is all pure speculation on my part but I don't think it's entirely out of the question to see P5 on a handheld, at the very least maybe some sort of Vita/PS3/360 crossover nonsense. As much as the GB community enjoys Persona it's still a fairly niche series and I am sure Atlus wants to get as many sells as they can in Japan where it will probably make a large part of it's money.

Yeah, FF8 was on PC. Forgot to mention that one.

And I guess Catherine would be a better indication. It seems to me like their best bet would be a PS3/360 release, with a Vita release that tones down the graphics and resolution by a bit. I still haven't played P4 yet, anyway; if I do get it, I probably won't finish it until this is already out.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

@Zenaxzd said:

@believer258 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258 said:

On a more serious note if anything Catherine would be a better indication of where it will end up since they can just use the same engine, but like I said I am skeptical considering the top selling console game in Japan this year didn't even break 1 million (if you want to also dig even deeper Square only shipped 850k copies of the game)

isn't that because it was released in december?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Animasta: The more important thing to note is that SE only shipped 850k copies of the game total, it's still selling weekly at a semi-steady pace but so far it doesn't seem like SE is shipping more (but who knows). It's unlikely it will break 1 million in Japan, and no other console game release this year was even close to that. Not a single home console game broke 1 million in Japan this year, it's kind of startling. 

Whole thing confuses me really, I don't really get the declining popularity of consoles vs handhelds over there as far as sells are concerned. 
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Turambar
    @Zenaxzd said:
    @Animasta: The more important thing to note is that SE only shipped 850k copies of the game total, it's still selling weekly at a semi-steady pace but so far it doesn't seem like SE is shipping more (but who knows). It's unlikely it will break 1 million in Japan, and no other console game release this year was even close to that. Not a single home console game broke 1 million in Japan this year, it's kind of startling.  Whole thing confuses me really, I don't really get the declining popularity of consoles vs handhelds over there as far as sells are concerned. 
    That's just because no Monster Hunter or Super Robot Wars games came out this year on consoles.  Don't worry, at least one of them will have a console release next year and it's sales will be flying out of the water.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

PS3 exclusive is my guess.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

@Zenaxzd: it's possible to ship more, and they may have only shipped enough for two months or something, it's really impossible to know. I don't think they expected this to do as well as 13 did, which sold pretty dang well if I remember correctly, but a lot of people had a lot of problems with that game...

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FateOfNever

@Zenaxzd: It wouldn't end up Vita only. Vita and PS3? Maybe. Vita, PS3, and 360? Also maybe. But not JUST Vita. Their JRPGs don't sell spectacularly well outside of Japan in the first place, I don't think they'd want to narrow the market for their next biggest release in all territories outside of Japan just because Japan doesn't love consoles as much as the rest of the world does. By hitting all 3 they'd have their bases covered pretty well. By having it just on the two home consoles they'd also be pretty well covered. Better to lose some sales in Japan (and only some) than to have almost no market at all outside of Japan.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    @FluxWaveZ said:

PS3 exclusive is my guess.

Don't see why they would do this. Catherine was multiplatform, and that was not only Atlus, but the exact same development team. For those saying it will be a VIta exclusive, I highly doubt it. It may get a Vita port, but the Vita has not done well at all in Japan, and all the past persona games have come to consoles first, with a handheld port later.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ll_Exile_ll: Because it's a Persona game and, so far, all Persona games have been on Sony platforms only.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@ll_Exile_ll: Because it's a Persona game and, so far, all Persona games have been on Sony platforms only.

If we've learned anything this generation, it's that console exclusivity from 3rd party in prior generations means nothing for this generation. They are not in any way obligated to release it only on PS3, so like GTA, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, and many, many others, it will probably come out on 360 as well. There are just too many 360s out there to completely ignore that market out of loyalty or tradition. Unless Sony pays for the exclusive rights, which they don't typically do and would make no sense at this point in the generation, then the Persona 5 will be on 360.
    Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Flappy

I don't see why it wouldn't be cross-platform. ATLUS has to cater to their fans, y'know?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ll_Exile_ll: Console exclusives still exist. Persona 5 could potentially be one of them.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Catherine was multiplatform, so I think P5 will be.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FateOfNever

@FluxWaveZ said:

Except that up until this point Sony platforms were really all Persona games COULD be on. P4 and P3 released on the PS2, it couldn't have launched on the xbox because that was dead by that point, and the gamecube was.. well, the gamecube, and they hated third parties. The handheld versions could really only launch on the PSP (or now Vita) because at that time the only other handheld they could go on would be the DS (3DS) except that to develop it for either one of those would require completely separate versions of the game from the PSP versions and I doubt they cared enough for that sake. Now the 360 has proven itself as a console outside of Japan. It's certainly possible it could end up PS3 only, but I think citing "well, the past games were Sony only" is a bit misguided as I don't think the past Persona games were Sony only so much out of choice as it was out of necessity. Now that the game could be launched, fit, and survive on another platform aside from Sony, it's entirely possible, and not at all unreasonable, to expect Atlus to release it on both PS3 and the 360.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@ll_Exile_ll: Console exclusives still exist. Persona 5 could potentially be one of them.

Why would it be? As I have said, it would make no financial reason for Atlus, they have no contractual obligation with Sony, and the team working on this game already has experience developing a game for the 360. All the console exclusives that exist are either 1st party, being developed with specific hardware in mind (kinect), or have been negotiated as an exclusive with the console manufacturer (Gears of War). Sony doesn't really pay for exclusives, Atlus is independent, and I don't think persona is going to require move, so tell me: Why would it be an exclusive? Because you and your blue name want it to be?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Why would it be? As I have said, it would make no financial reason for Atlus, they have no contractual obligation with Sony, and the team working on this game already has experience developing a game for the 360. All the console exclusives that exist are either 1st party, being developed with specific hardware in mind (kinect), or have been negotiated as an exclusive with the console manufacturer (Gears of War). Sony doesn't really pay for exclusives, Atlus is independent, and I don't think persona is going to require move, so tell me: Why would it be an exclusive? Because you and your blue name want it to be?

...Dude, I think you need to calm down. I don't have any reasons and I really don't give a shit either way. I'm saying that at this point, neither you or I know if the game's going to be exclusive or not.

@FateOfNever: But like you said, the Xbox 360 isn't performing in Japan. If it ends up as a PS3 exclusive, couldn't you give a reason, just like the others you gave, that "the Persona series isn't as relevant in North America as it is in Japan so they didn't want to waste their time or money"?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By sungahymn

It'll be cool for it come on Xbox so I can play it, but I'm not holding my breath.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FateOfNever

@FluxWaveZ said:

@FateOfNever: But like you said, the Xbox 360 isn't performing in Japan. If it ends up as a PS3 exclusive, couldn't you give a reason, just like the others you gave, that "the Persona series isn't as relevant in North America as it is in Japan so they didn't want to waste their time or money"?

Except that Atlus has shown that they know that the 360 isn't irrelevant to the rest of the world when they released Catherine on both 360 and PS3. The PSP vs DS would require a completely separate game to be made due to the DS being such a different console than the PSP. The P3 and P4 issues wasn't "not to waste money for another console" as at that point they hadn't moved on to the current generation of systems. PS3 vs 360 the differences are non-issue because both systems would run the game the exact same way with the same controls. The time and effort it takes is minimal when you consider how little work has to be done and how much more of a market that opens the game up to outside of Japan.

Atlus isn't going to release P5 in Japan only, thus, it makes sense for them to not forsake the biggest console outside of Japan just because Japan doesn't like it. It's the same reason why it wouldn't make sense to put it on the Vita only. The series may be less relevant outside of Japan, but it isn't complete IRrelevant either, and releasing PS3 only outside of Japan costs them sales for the little amount of time and money it would take to design the game to be multiplatform for two consoles that function the same.

Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible for P5 to be PS3 only, but it would be a surprising, and probably hurtful move to Atlus to do so. The time and money required to make a game multiplatform for the PS3 and 360 is minor compared to the extra profit it brings in in the regions outside of Japan. Now if P5 had already released and was PS3 only, I'd say that yeah, they're not going to waste their time porting it over to the 360 because that takes more work than just designing it for both consoles from the ground up (plus Microsoft wouldn't want it at that point.) But to design it from the ground up that way, money and time are non-issues and I think Catherine proved that for Atlus.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Animasta said:

@Zenaxzd: it's possible to ship more, and they may have only shipped enough for two months or something, it's really impossible to know. I don't think they expected this to do as well as 13 did, which sold pretty dang well if I remember correctly, but a lot of people had a lot of problems with that game...

Well, I don't think it will end shipping more because it's quickly falling off the weekly sells charts, and will be completely gone within a few weeks (unless some bizarre thing happens and it goes up one week, but for now it's just been the typical decline downward), as for the problems I don't think that was a big issue in Japan but who knows I don't live there. But yeah 13 did ~1.6 million the first week and wasn't even in the top 20 next week so it's been a weird road for 13-2 since it did less the first week but has actually stayed on the chart a month later where as 13 fell off after the first week. Regardless it (13-2) was the top selling console game of the year and only did about 720k which looking at the past few years is a bit lower than other stuff (though when I do a few quick checks over the past few years it's mostly been Nintendo stuff breaking a million or close too) but whatever, mostly rambling at this point.  

@FateOfNever said:

@Zenaxzd: It wouldn't end up Vita only. Vita and PS3? Maybe. Vita, PS3, and 360? Also maybe. But not JUST Vita. Their JRPGs don't sell spectacularly well outside of Japan in the first place, I don't think they'd want to narrow the market for their next biggest release in all territories outside of Japan just because Japan doesn't love consoles as much as the rest of the world does. By hitting all 3 they'd have their bases covered pretty well. By having it just on the two home consoles they'd also be pretty well covered. Better to lose some sales in Japan (and only some) than to have almost no market at all outside of Japan.

You said it yourself, JRPGs don't sell well outside of Japan with rare exception (Pokemon, FF, etc) and finding some quick P4 sells shows it at 300k in Japan and 100k in North America (no idea for other territories) so it's hard to say. Clearly the meat and potatoes are in Japan I think it just comes down to them figuring out all those variables about cost to make a vita game vs console against vita sells outside of japan vs consoles sells total etc. Not something any of us can say. 

But really, on a personal level I totally hope it comes to 360/PS3 but I am preparing myself for if it does end up strictly on a handheld. I wish they would hurry up and stop the suspense, I fucking want another Persona game as it's been too long since 4 came out.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

@FateOfNever said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Except that Atlus has shown that they know that the 360 isn't irrelevant to the rest of the world when they released Catherine on both 360 and PS3. The PSP vs DS would require a completely separate game to be made due to the DS being such a different console than the PSP. The P3 and P4 issues wasn't "not to waste money for another console" as at that point they hadn't moved on to the current generation of systems. PS3 vs 360 the differences are non-issue because both systems would run the game the exact same way with the same controls. The time and effort it takes is minimal when you consider how little work has to be done and how much more of a market that opens the game up to outside of Japan.

Atlus isn't going to release P5 in Japan only, thus, it makes sense for them to not forsake the biggest console outside of Japan just because Japan doesn't like it. It's the same reason why it wouldn't make sense to put it on the Vita only. The series may be less relevant outside of Japan, but it isn't complete IRrelevant either, and releasing PS3 only outside of Japan costs them sales for the little amount of time and money it would take to design the game to be multiplatform for two consoles that function the same.

Again, I'm not saying that it's impossible for P5 to be PS3 only, but it would be a surprising, and probably hurtful move to Atlus to do so. The time and money required to make a game multiplatform for the PS3 and 360 is minor compared to the extra profit it brings in in the regions outside of Japan. Now if P5 had already released and was PS3 only, I'd say that yeah, they're not going to waste their time porting it over to the 360 because that takes more work than just designing it for both consoles from the ground up (plus Microsoft wouldn't want it at that point.) But to design it from the ground up that way, money and time are non-issues and I think Catherine proved that for Atlus.

Catherine was also an experiment for Atlus. It was their first game on either platform. It made sense for them to put it out on both platforms because it gave them an opportunity to get experience with both. However, that does not mean that Persona 5 will be exclusive to either console, nor does it mean that it will appear on both.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FateOfNever

@Hailinel said:

@FateOfNever said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Catherine was also an experiment for Atlus. It was their first game on either platform. It made sense for them to put it out on both platforms because it gave them an opportunity to get experience with both. However, that does not mean that Persona 5 will be exclusive to either console, nor does it mean that it will appear on both.

Indeed, it was an experiment for them, and it worked out pretty damn well for them too. I don't imagine Catherine would have sold nearly as many copies as it did worldwide if it had been PS3 exclusive (since 360 sales were about 93k in the US, and for Atlus just over 90k potentially more sales is not something to turn a blind eye to.) Again, I'm also not saying that it's impossible P5 would be exclusive to PS3. What I am saying is that it's not really unreasonable for people to expect it to be multiplatform or to think that it being PS3 exclusive is somewhat less likely now than it would have been in the past. Also that citing a track record of what the past Persona games have launched on is probably as flimsy of a reasoning as to where P5 will go as only citing Catherine as a reason as to of where it will go. Which is why I've said that there are reasons beyond just Catherine, and have mostly just used Catherine as an example, along with other reasons, for what I'm saying. And then saying that the extra time and effort that goes into making it multi platform for what could be an additional 90k sales (using Catherine as an example for Atlus) is relatively small. Those extra 90k sales would easily cover any difference in development cost that multiplatform might cost (of which I'm really not even sure there IS any so long as you build it from the ground up that way.)

If any of that makes any sense. I'm really just reiterating everything I've already said in this thread at some point or another, so if it still doesn't make a lot of sense that I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be exclusive, or for it to be multiplatform, but that telling people it's less likely to be multiplatform because of the Persona system track record is kind of silly when you actually look at what was around the sony platforms and the games themselves at the times that they launched.

CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By CornishRocker

I certainly hope it also releases on 360.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Catolf
    @FateOfNever: I don't think it's silly.. following a track record is a great way to see where a game (being a series) will come out and what console. Persona in general has been pointed toward sony for a long time. That experiment with Catherine was just that, an experiment. This is Square Enix where they have that kind of cash to throw around both an Xbox and ps3 version every time, ATLUS isn't a huge company, and rolling the dice on both seems like a big gamble on a series that unlike Catherine didn't have the big draw of relationships and so forth, this would be a straight up RPG, which let's face it don't do really well on the 360.

If i were to lay money down this would be a ps3/Vita title only.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FateOfNever

@Catolf: If you bothered to read my original point as to of WHY it's silly you may understand why I said that though.

Persona 3 and 4 came out after the 360 was launched and when the Gamecube was dying (besides Nintendo hating third parties at that time) and around the launch of the Wii, plus, they're M rated games so Nintendo probably wouldn't want them/take them anyway. It could not have been on either of those consoles. It wasn't a pure choice of preference it was also a choice that was made out of a sheer lack of anything else to put it on. P1 and P2 (and P2-2) came out on the PS1 and, really, the only other console at the time was the N64, which the persona games never would have ended up on anyway because they were M rated games, not to mention that you didn't see much multiplatform action back then because of the fact that designing for the N64 was different than designing for the PS1, cart vs disk, two different controller schemes, different save systems, so on. The handhelds were PSP vs DS, which, again, would be developing two very different versions of the game.

They haven't leaned Persona towards Sony out of pure favoritism, they've leaned that way because it's really been the only option up to this point. Now the 360 is also a viable platform, especially in territories outside of Japan.

You also say that the Persona games didn't have the big draw of relationships? I disagree. The Persona games OOZE with relationships. Not sexual relationships, but relationships. And RPGs may not do great on the 360, but how many GOOD rpgs that have actually received much attention and are known quantities have launched on the 360? Plus, I could argue that block climbing games don't really do well on any platform that isn't a handheld. Catherine got pushed, and hard, and it paid off. If Catherine hadn't received as much attention as it had and gotten as much marketing as it had, it probably wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

It's also not any bigger of a gamble than what Catherine was. If anything, Catherine probably was the bigger gamble. It was an unknown property that really to the general market only had the selling point of "sexy anime lady." That's a really big risk in all territories outside of Japan, especially when your gameplay boils down to block climbing puzzles and cutscenes with a story that makes relatively little sense throughout most of it. Compare that to the Persona franchise which is better known now than it has been at any time previously in its existence, has ran 1-4, has released all but one Persona game again on a handheld, and is getting a fighting game to go with it (a fighting game that will be for the 360 and the PS3.)

Do you think it would pay off to expose even MORE people to your franchise via a fighting game that's multiplatform and then release the next proper game in the series and go "haha! just kidding, now that you're invested, come over to the PS3?" Or do you think it would be a better move to expose both PS3 and 360 owners to the franchise through a new fighting game and then go "hey, if you think maybe you'd like to see some more stuff in the same universe but an RPG, check out our new RPG that's out and is multiplatform"?

We also don't know what P5 is going to be, saying that it will only be a straight up RPG is selling it, and its predecessors in the series short. P3 and P4 were both a mix of social sim and rpg. If it was just pure straight up RPG people probably wouldn't be behind it as they are. It's also not as big of a gamble when you look at how 360 sales of Catherine have done for them in the US. Plus how minimal the cost is to develop it for both consoles from the ground up (as opposed to building it for just the 360 or just the PS3 and then having to port it over, potentially at a later date.) Because, really, if designing with both consoles in mind from the start was such a huge gamble and so costly both in budget and time, almost no game would be multiplatform because it would just be too dangerous outside of the big blockbuster titles.

Atlus is a small company, yes, which is why it makes more sense for them to try and get their game exposed to as many different players as possible. Plus, it would work better in the long run for them (and for sony as well) if they launched it multiplatform and then, at a later date, released another version of the game, as they have been doing, for Vita only. Imagine how that would drive Vita sales if you suddenly had not ONLY PS3 owners who want to buy a Vita, but you hook 360 owners into it as well. It wouldn't be MASSIVE, but sales are sales, and it would undoubtedly get them some. For example. Let's say, in a very hypothetical situation, Persona 5 launches multiplatform. In the US it sells 100k copies on the 360. Then, some time later, maybe two years later, they release P5-the better version for the Vita. Let's say that of those 100k P5 sales on the 360, even only a quarter of them think that that's a pushing point for them because they loved P5 enough and there are enough other titles for the Vita now (INCLUDING P4) That's 25,000 Vita sales with 25,000 P4 and P5 Vita sales. As opposed to if it never launched on the 360 at all, and the majority of those 100k people are never exposed to P5, never buy it, and none of them ever look to the possibility of getting a Vita as a result. It's not as big of a gamble as you think it is to do multiplatform, especially in this day and age for two consoles that function the same, and the pay off could be huge for them while the penalty for being wrong is minimal at best.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EVO

@FateOfNever said:

I don't imagine Catherine would have sold nearly as many copies as it did worldwide if it had been PS3 exclusive (since 360 sales were about 93k in the US, and for Atlus just over 90k potentially more sales is not something to turn a blind eye to.)

But how many of those 93,000 people also own a PS3, that would've just bought it on PS3 had it been exclusive? I know a lot of people on here own both consoles that got it on Xbox.

So let's say Persona 5 is exclusive to PS3. Are they really losing much sales? Or more importantly, is releasing it on the Xbox even profitable?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Animasta

@EVO said:

@FateOfNever said:

I don't imagine Catherine would have sold nearly as many copies as it did worldwide if it had been PS3 exclusive (since 360 sales were about 93k in the US, and for Atlus just over 90k potentially more sales is not something to turn a blind eye to.)

But how many of those 93,000 people also own a PS3, that would've just bought it on PS3 had it been exclusive? I know a lot of people on here own both consoles that got it on Xbox.

So let's say Persona 5 is exclusive to PS3. Are they really losing much sales? Or more importantly, is releasing it on the Xbox even profitable?

I mean, compared to the cost of porting the PS3 version to the 360 (I can't imagine it'd be much), I'd say that the 360 sales were more than enough to be profitable.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Animasta said: 

I mean, compared to the cost of porting the PS3 version to the 360 (I can't imagine it'd be much)

I think it's more costly than you think.
    Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Nux

It better be.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By beforet

Ya'll kids are dumber that taxidermic baby alligator heads. Persona 5 will clearly be a 360 timed exclusive with a PC version five months later.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @FateOfNever: Not that I am disagreeing with you (since as I said, if it does come to a console it will certainly be on both 360 and PS3, arguing that much seems silly to me) but P4 came out in 2008 which is well past the death of the gamecube and beyond the 360 launch. Also Nintendo isn't that opposed to M rated games since plenty of them exist and sell fine (which brings up another question about who the fuck is buying CoD on the Wii... but I digress) which actually makes me somewhat curious as to why P4 never came out on the Wii, I mean, it's not that uncommon for games to do a PS2/Wii release.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#44  Edited By donutfever

It'll be on whatever P4U is on, with the possible addition of Vita.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FateOfNever

@Zenaxzd: Well, probably never came out for the Wii because the only way they could have had the same control scheme on the Wii was to force people to use a classic pad (and even then, I'm not sure that would have fully worked, maybe it would have though, it's been a long time since I've seen a classic pad and I forget how many buttons are on it exactly.) And yeah, some M rated games exist on Nintendo platforms, but they tend to be fewer and farther between, mostly being the bigger well known titles that Nintendo probably believes they can't pass up on (your Resident Evils, your CoDs, back in the day your Mortal Kombats, things like that) not so much/as often (won't say it never happens though as I know it does sometimes, like Silent Hill Shattered Memories) your kind of one off games that don't carry the weight behind them that the big titles do. As for why it didn't come out for the 360, same reason no PS3 launch, it was an old generation game (same for P3 really, since I think that launched after the 360 launched. Not that you asked about 360 launch though, but, I'm sure someone out there would have)

Certainly it probably COULD have come out for the Wii, but, without knowing if Nintendo even wanted it or not (Atlus could have approached them about it for all we know and Nintendo just went "eh, no thanks") or it's also possible that since the Wii launched in Nov. 06, and P4 launched in Dec. 08, if it took them two years to make the game they simply may not have even had access to the Wii development tools until after they had already started work on the game. It's also entirely possible that Atlus just went "eh, nah, we don't care enough about the Wii to bother doing this." They could have been sketchy about the Wii's ability to sell and perform that early on in development. It's hard to say one way or another I think.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#46  Edited By metalsnakezero

If P5 comes out on both PS3 and 360 I'll do what I did with Catherine, buy both versions.

@FateOfNever: P4 came out in July 10, 2008 JP not Dec, 08, that was when it first came out in English.

Regardless, we're not sure how Atlus operates, both when they were independent and now that they have a bigger company to back them up.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RE_Player1

Did Catherine sell well on 360?

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#48  Edited By metalsnakezero

@msavo: It sold more here than in Japan but overall the bulk of its sells came from the PS3 version. Still it did well.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Nope! WiiU exclusive!

No, I have no idea, but I can't imagine any reason as to why it wouldn't. Unless it was a PS2 game. That would be hilarious.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By MetalBaofu

Yeah...I'd say it's a safe bet that it will be on Xbox and PS3.

@metalsnakezero said:

If P5 comes out on both PS3 and 360 I'll do what I did with Catherine, buy both versions.

That's crazy, but I have to admit, I'd be tempted to do the same thing when it comes to Persona.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.