Your Wishes for Persona 5

• 117 results
#101 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

Long as it is on the PS3, I'm content.  I'm more than happy to see it ported to the 360 as well, I just don't want have to buy a 360 to play one game.

The PS3 version would be all but confirmed though, being a japanese developed RPG.  Atlus isn't going to hurt themselves by only releasing it on 360 in Japan. 

So nothing else I can really ask for.  

#102 Edited by Rapid (1346 posts) -
@mutha3: 
 Indeed

However, I don't know if people picked up on this but the developer specifically kept the honorifics to because they want to keep make the more authentic, the producer (I believe) commented that he liked to educate North Americans about the Japanese Culture, and Society
For instance in Yusuke called Yukiko-SAN all throughout the beginning of game, its settle but as the game progresses Yusuke drops the SAN. In Japan this implies a great close relationship when one drops the honorifics. We notice that Yusuke almost always refer to Chie, "Chie." This is to show how much they knew each I guess before Charlie transferred.
#103 Posted by Hailinel (23905 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" Whatever they do, don't have Chie in a cameo.

@metalsnakezero said:
" Mass effect style dialog tree For more flesh out conversations."
No. Keep Bioware shit out of this. "
Yeah, Bioware's method of storytelling has no place in a Persona game.  You're completely upending one form of narrative for another.

And as far as older characters are concerned, Persona 2's cast was older, but that doesn't necessarily mean they could do more things.  Hell, even in a college setting, characters would be doing the same sorts of things that they did in high school:

1.  Go to class.
2.  Attend club activities.
3.  Work part-time jobs.
4.  Hang out with friends.
5.  Go on dates.

So no, there really wouldn't be that much more to do in college.  If they were college graduates, their schedules would most likely be:

1.  Go to work.
2.  Pursue hobbies.
3.  Do chores.
5.  Go on dates.

Unless the characters are unemployed slackers, in which case:

1.  Sleep in.
2.  Pursue hobbies.
5.  Go on dates.

And if they're salarymen:

1.  Work.
2.  Work.
3.  Hang out with coworkers until some ungodly hour.
4.  Crawl into bed after your wife has already gone to sleep.
#104 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

@Rapid said:
" @mutha3:   Indeed However, I don't know if people picked up on this but the developer specifically kept the honorifics to because they want to keep make the more authentic, the producer (I believe) commented that he liked to educate North Americans about the Japanese Culture, and Society For instance in Yusuke called Yukiko-SAN all throughout the beginning of game, its settle but as the game progresses Yusuke drops the SAN. In Japan this implies a great close relationship when one drops the honorifics. We notice that Yusuke almost always refer to Chie, "Chie." This is to show how much they knew each I guess before Charlie transferred. "

Um, the reason they kept the honourifics wasn't to educate western audiences with Japanese culture(that would be even more stupid), they claimed it added to the ''character development'' of the characters(like the example you gave with Yosuke and Yukiko).

To which I say: Bullshit. The English language has its own system of honourifics and  mannerisms, if the developers wanted(for example) to show the friendship between Yukiko and Yosuke: have Yosuke simply call her Yuki later in the story after he becomes familliar.

@Hailinel said:
  1.  Work. 2.  Work. 3.  Hang out with coworkers until some ungodly hour. 4.  Crawl into bed after your wife has already gone to sleep. "
story of my  life :(
#105 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@mutha3: After playing and finishing Assassin's Creed 2, I can safely say that I totally disagree with your stance on the inclusion of Japanese honorifics in Persona 4.  In AC2, the characters all had Italian accents, locutions and even mannerisms to make it so that you knew you were in Italy.  It improved the setting much more than it would have if they all talked like typical Americans.  Simple things like Ezio's uncle calling him "nipote" instead of "nephew" and Ezio saying "requiesta in pace" instead of "rest in peace" made for an all more engaging world.

It's the same thing in Persona's case.  The game is set in Japan.  The characters, for the most part, are Japanese and they all really speak in Japanese.  Perhaps, sometimes, these honorifics can be confusing, but they add to the world the game is set in.  Perhaps the definition of what the hell a "soba" is can be given a little better in the game, but I don't want the whole word to be replace with an English term to replace because it would be simpler for the confused Western minds to understand.
#106 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -
@mutha3:  There are ways to show respect in English and certain ways you talk to certain people in English, but levels of respect are not ingrained in the grammar like they are in Asian languages.  Or even in something like Spanish, where you have both the standard "you" (tu) and the formal "you" (usted).  Like you said, there are ways around it in English, but if this is going to be a game set in Japan, why can't it have Japanese honorifics, especially when they're not that hard to understand?

Some lines from Atlus translators: 

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168595

Yu Namba: I've looked at different forums myself, like GameFAQs and our own Atlus forums, and I know there are some fans who would prefer the game without honorifics. But like Nich said during the panel, it adds so much more meaning to the text when you add those honorifics. It was a very difficult decision that I had to make to include the honorifics in Persona 3, but I strongly believe that they have very, very important meanings, and we have to leave those intact, so that's why we've kept them for Persona 4.

Nich Maragos: There wasn't really a debate, but I mean, we are careful about how we use them and in what games. Because, I mean, there has to be a reason. We can't do it just because the audience thinks it sounds cool    

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=3&cId=3171546&p= 

Yu Namba: The honorifics are an important element of Japanese society, and as strange as they might be for the American audience, I wanted to keep them intact in Persona 4. They are a means to show respect to those who are older than you or are your superior, but at the same time, their usage creates a distinct mentality in each individual. One person may think that as a senpai, she should act like an example for those who look up to her. Someone else may treat the underclassmen like crap, just because they're his kouhai. A guy may address his friends without any honorifics -- it's his way of saying that those people are actually dear to him. Each person acts differently, and I believe the honorifics add an extra dimension to their character. They are, to me, a powerful tool that helps make the characters come to life.

Nich Maragos: We don't use honorifics on most projects -- even in other games that are set in Japan -- but because of the way this game takes place over a whole year, with many shifting relationships and such, we felt it was important to preserve that explicit way of marking how each character felt about another. As an example, if you pay close attention, you may notice the point where Yosuke stops referring to Yukiko [another of the protagonist's inner circle of friends] as "Yukiko-san." 

I suppose they don't add much to what's already been said, but at least you can see what the writers themselves thought.
#107 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The return of the Persona 3 summoning method. 

#108 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

A visit to the meat dimension, maybe?

#109 Posted by Pessh (2454 posts) -

Persona 4, just in HD and on the PS3

#110 Posted by harinosho (593 posts) -

somebody said this in another topic but..

persona 5 should NOT have high school kids. college guys and girls.

#111 Edited by MetalGearFlaccid (207 posts) -

Perhaps a closer tie-in to the first two (okay, technically three) games. Persona 1 and 2 were part of the same story arc of the battle between Philemon and Nyarthotep. Persona 3 and 4, while gameplay-wise, presentation-wise, and character-wise are superior, are more like Persona Gaidens. The limited amount of characters (read: one per game) that can carry more than one persona seem crazy when you look back at the first two/three games, where everybody is granted the power of multiple personae by Philemon. The only reason Charlie and Persona 3 Guy have this ability is because they randomly were connected to the Fool arcana. Igor, everyone's favorite creeper, is not the all-powerful dude that P3 and P4 seem to want to you to think he is: he's just one of Philemon's many servants.

Perhaps we can have a mix of the best of P1/P2 and P3/P4: the presentation and gameplay reflects the progression the series has made, and the the story and characters could be closer to the main story thread of the Persona series.

#112 Edited by Creamypies (4051 posts) -
#113 Posted by Toasty (19 posts) -

Wonder if they'll pull on other mythology/religions for more Persona? Catholic figures would be interesting, if a little weird. 

I'd like for it to have a dark tone similar to Persona 3. And more added to the S-Links all around. Being able to date people of either gender would be nice, disappointed me when you couldn't date Kanji after the big deal they made of it.

Also, hi. New to the boards but hope to stick around.

#114 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I just hope they continue to have the mundane segments in the game.

#115 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@mutha3: I would be happy if they just added explanations for what each one meant.
#116 Posted by hai2u (322 posts) -

needs to be in a university setting, im sick of high school.

#117 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@PureRok said:

" Whatever they do, don't have Chie in a cameo.

@metalsnakezero said:

" Mass effect style dialog tree For more flesh out conversations."
No. Keep Bioware shit out of this. "
Why, it's not a bad idea really.

And I as well would LOVE to see the main do more than grunt and nod. I like the way Mass Effect does this with the main speaking but you chose what he says and it just, makes it easier to relate I suppose.

@mutha3 said:
Um, the reason they kept the honourifics wasn't to educate western audiences with Japanese culture(that would be even more stupid), they claimed it added to the ''character development'' of the characters(like the example you gave with Yosuke and Yukiko).

To which I say: Bullshit. The English language has its own system of honourifics and  mannerisms, if the developers wanted(for example) to show the friendship between Yukiko and Yosuke: have Yosuke simply call her Yuki later in the story after he becomes familliar.

It wouldn't have the same effect it does with English Honourifics, Even if they did your example would be wrong.

Yukiko = Ms. Amagi

So if you wanted it this way it would just come out weird. Too formal.

I think that the san/chan/Sempai ect need to stay as they are, it gives the right feel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.