Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona

Franchise »

Depicting occult practices, fey heroes, and demons crawling out of the woodwork, Persona is Atlus' largest, most successful, and most acclaimed franchise. Beginning as a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, the series developed a sizable following in the West after Persona 3, and expanded into non-JRPG genres after Persona 4.

A few questions about Persona

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By HaroldoNVU

I keep hearing people talking about this series, specially the last 2 games but before getting into the series there are some things I'd like to clear up:

1- Are the games direct sequels? I mean, does Persona 3 pick up where Persona 2 ended or the games are only loosely connected? Or, they have little to nothing in common like Final Fantasy?
    2- I'm thinking of starting with Persona Portable or one of the versions of Persona 3. Any opinions on which one should I pick first?
    3- P3 FES or P3 Portable? I read that the portable version features some new content, but does it also sacrifices content? I don't care about graphics but I love voice action. I don't even know if the original Persona 3 had voice acting but is any content stripped down in the portable version?
    4- I hear the latest games have some kind of dating/social mechanics which I assume to be similar to what one can find on a Harvest Moon game, but if that is so, which Persona game started this?

Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Terry_Bogard

1. Loosely connected. 
    2. FES 
    3. See 2. 
    4. Dunno

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turambar
    @HaroldoNVU: 

1.  Persona 3 and 4 exist in the same world, and are sequels as far as continuity goes.  Persona 4 takes place about a year after Persona 3 ends.
    2. FES.  
    3. The original P3 had voice acting.  I'm not sure about the amount of voice for P3P, however, it also offers a good chunk of content that the ps2 versions do not in the forms of alternate social links.
    4. Persona 3 was the first game in the series to have that.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

1- They are loosely connected. The Main characters and story are always different, but there all in the same world. For example, in P4 you take a school trip to the city from P3. 
    2- Go With Persona 3 FES. its everything the original version has plus extra.  
    3- Again go with FES. While P3 Portable does add stuff, you do lose a lot of presentational stuff like the animations of the characters and the sick anime cut scenes. I felt that those things really added to the game. If you don't care about that though, then P3 Portable should be fine. The voice acting is all there, plus the combat is improved. 
    4- The social Link stuff started in P3.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Thanks for the replies. I'll look around for a copy of FES and maybe if I really like it, I'll buy the portable version later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.