Molyneux breaks down to tears over Curiosity failure.

• 70 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

In an extraordinary interview to be published shortly, a clearly emotional Peter Molyneux broke down into tears when discussing the struggles he’s had with Curiosity, and his concerns about making promises for Kickstarter GODUS.

“I can’t blame people for not believing,” Molyneux responded, when it was suggested that his history of over-promising and under-delivering might hurt prospects for GODUS. Especially in light of the very negative reaction to Curiosity’s server failures – something the creator tells us was “a disaster”.

“I know I’ve said things,” Molyneux continued. “I wish I could not say them, I guess. I just… I still believe so much.”

The developer, unquestionably exhausted after a very difficult two weeks with Curiosity, was clearly in an introspective and moving mood when we spoke to him.

“I swore that when we started 22 Cans that we wouldn’t over-promise, and I guess through stupid mistakes we have. I have to live by those. If it means that the project doesn’t get Kickstarted, if it means that people use the Kickstarter to vent their frustrations, then I guess I have to live by that.”

“I think I will be doing games until the day I die. I can’t see that, at this rate, the way I’m burning through my life… I don’t see that I’ll be alive much longer.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/22/peter-molyneuxs-tears-i-still-believe-so-much/
God damn. As much as he over hypes things I still like him. He's someone who has a lot of creative ideas but just never gets to fully realize them and is definitely an interesting character in the games industry. Poor guy. :\
#2 Posted by Morningstar (2137 posts) -

Gotta love the man.

#3 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

I will always love Peter Molyneux. Dude made some amazing games and he is someone that we Brits can be very proud of for what he's done in the industry, especially since he makes games that are often exceedingly British.

#4 Posted by jmood88 (392 posts) -

Peter Molyneux is one of my favorite developers, even if he overhypes things. When he talks it sounds like someone who is genuinely in love with games, not just pr spin.

#5 Posted by seek83 (25 posts) -

As an idol of mine this is tough to read and I wish his dreams would translate better. I understand gamers are disappointed with his modern games but I wish they wouldn't give him so much shit about his passion. He doesn't really bullshit, I think he does believe the stuff he says.

And personally all his stuff has enough charm and creativity to give me some smiles.

#6 Posted by Humanity (8801 posts) -

How did Curiosity fail? I'm not in the loop, did their servers crash and the thing just reset or something?

#7 Posted by selbie (1841 posts) -

inbeforebawls

I wish I could pledge, but I blew all my pocket money on Star Citizen :/

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

What is Curiosity? And why is he crying is he broke? I thought he had lots of Microsoft dalla.

#9 Posted by Daiphyer (1307 posts) -

:(

That is sad.

#10 Posted by Tearhead (2152 posts) -

Well that was a little dramatic...

#11 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

Reading this literally changed my life forever. I will tell my grandchildren about this day, and they will remember it forever.

#12 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

Curiosity only had server issues, right? I mean...yeah, it was a hassle for some days but in the long run it seems to work fine? For a small company to act and repair that quickly on a server issue was quite impressive. I mean...look at EA:s Battlefield/MoH launches. They usually can't handle it either. I honestly don't believe Peter thought Curiosity would get over a million users. He had high hopes but not on that level. To bad he feels like this since I personally think Curiosity is neat. An cool experiment.

Also...I really like that man. Yeah..he overpromises but I rarley get pissed of because of it. He reaches for the stars but hit's the moon. I love the way he speaks, he get anyone to believe in his visons and their is no doubt that he is extremly passionate about what he does.

#13 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

Molyneux brings all of this shit on himself.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

Aw man, got really sad reading that. Peter Molyneux is one of my favorite developers. Especially that last quote...

;_;

#15 Posted by CornBREDX (4789 posts) -

You guys ever heard of crocodile tears? 
It's another form of manipulation.

#16 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

When I saw him speak earlier in the year I saw an ernest man, tired of Microsoft wanting to go do his own experimental thing. Failures, while on your own, can be devestating. Even if he does say wild things, when I saw him speak I could ttell he genuinely believed them. Doesn't deserve the anger or malice directed towards him.

#17 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Why is he saying Curiosity was a failure?

I wish we had more people like Peter in the industry.

#18 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Peter Molyneux, a man With great ambitions, Limited by current technology.

#19 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Love Peter Molyneux. Probably the most passionate game developer ever, definately the most outwardly passionate game developer of all time. Wish Curiousity came to PC or Xbox because I'm still definately curious.

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

The guy created Populous so I'll never hate him. He's help make some of the most important games of all time with Bullfrog. He's one of my favorite game devs and it hurts me to read all of this. :/

#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

He..kinda does have a history of not delivering what he promises... 

Speaking of which. What did he do with Milo? 

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

He also discusses the potential for GODUS, his reasons for wanting to “reinvent the god game”, plans for Curiosity, and remarkably, his belief that he will die soon. “I’m one of those human beings who’s surprised he’s still alive every time he wakes up in the morning...the way I’m burning through my life… I don’t see that I’ll be alive much longer.”

Depression, perhaps?

Still, he's hands down my favorite personality in gaming because he's so over-the-top but in a passionate way. I don't believe the hype anymore but I enjoy it.

#23 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Is he trying to get people to pity fund his kickstarter or something? This is hilarious.

#24 Posted by Devise22 (202 posts) -

@Ramone said:

While it is true that he does overhype his content, a lot of the times I think he wants to believe he can achieve what he promises. It's not like he's "selling" gamers and making away with the cash with a smile on his face. He is even more disappointed it seems when his promises don't deliver. That comes from a place of wanting to take a aspect of his games and games in general to another level. From a outsider perspective that is something most should be able to respect.

The issue is though that most things that end up setting industry standards or reinventing how we look at things don't usually set out to do that on a base standard. They usually just put the time and effort into their projects and take a good idea a long way and simply by proxy end up setting the bar in certain aspects. For Molyneux I think instead of focusing on a more global perspective on what he wants his games to do to the industry, he should just sit down and put his ideas for a game in the game and let the results carry themselves.

#25 Posted by NakAttack (1289 posts) -

@selbie said:

inbeforebawls

I wish I could pledge, but I blew all my pocket money on Star Citizen :/

same

#26 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

I love his enthusiasm for this industry so many people seen jaded and bored with it. He may over promise and under deliver but without ambition like that and trying to reach for the unreachable how does the industry move forward. The world will always need dreamers.
However flawed his execution might be his ideas are genuinely exciting and if he ever does deliver on these promises it will be a great day for gamers.

#27 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

He's so full of shit. And now people are falling for his sob story.

#28 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I wish people could be less cynical. This is heartbreaking and makes me feel for the guy.

#29 Posted by cid798 (240 posts) -

What I don't get is one respect It's Peter Molyneux ! but in the other respect, it's Peter Molyneux and if one of his biggest faults is not delivering on his ideas is it that unrealistic to think he should be able to fund his own dev team and take time to produce a game where there's no excuse there wasn't enough time or pushed by the publisher.

A game with his name on it, even independantly published, PC only - no physical aspect would sell well if it was half decent.

It feels like he's getting to point of being popular now for undelivered assurances which I think if true is just being out of touch.

#30 Edited by CornBREDX (4789 posts) -

To those questioning the failure comment: When he says failure he means on his part to understand the kind of hits they would get therefore only having one server due to him expecting only a few people to get it to start and do a slow ramp up and instead they sold to 200,000 in a day. So basically they set the server on fire when they expected to only be opening the doors to a select few who were interested in the idea. This lead to other problems when more servers were then added to accomodate (apparently people were losing gold or whatever).

I don't think Molyneux completely understands the modern world. I know he intended to limit press coverage but in this day and age, being as well known as he is, even if he only gave one interview detailing Curiosity, everybody would know about it and everybody would report on it so a lot more people would know what it is. On top of that, this is Molyneux reinventing himself. Coming back to his roots. Everyone who has played video games and knows what he is about is going to be interested to see what this first project is. He doesn't seem to realize that- which is a good side of his character indeed. Very humble, even if naive. 

I don't hate Molyneux. I think his over promising is the by product of someone with immense imagination and belief in the possibilities of a video game. He would make a great PR guy if he had thicker skin it would seem. It makes sense more and more why he left Microsoft and started 22 cans. I hate Molyneux only for the ending of Fable 2. Or should I say, non ending? I should get over that, that was years ago, but it was a real bitch. Maybe I care that much because I thought the game was fantastic otherwise, though, and wanted more closure to the whole thing. 

The problem with Molyneux, it seems, is narrow vision. He gets fantastical ideas, and sets his sites on them, and while he cant fully deliver there are aspects that are brought down because of it. 

I wish him the best, he doesn't need to feel bad about the things he says or does, but I still can't ever believe the things he says.  

I do look forward to Godus, though. Even if I suspect it wont be as good as he wants it to be. The problem with him doing it kickstarter, if it succeeds, is the world will be watching. Maybe that could be for the better. Maybe the fans can reign him in more and help him understand what has been done in that type of game over the past few years even (which he seemed oblivious of in the interview). Only time will tell.

#31 Posted by BoOzak (881 posts) -

I think there's more going on than the failure of curiousity & his kickstarter thing, probably feels like he has to make one last great game before he dies. Doesnt the guy have a family and kids? Surely he has more than his work to keep him going.

@McGhee said:

He's so full of shit. And now people are falling for his sob story.

I doubt he'd go to those lengths to manipulate people. Yes he can be full of shit at times but I always got the impression he believed the shit that he was saying.

...Still I dont blame people for not funding his kickstarter given his last few games.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (23857 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

You guys ever heard of crocodile tears? It's another form of manipulation.

@Ramone said:

Yep. As much as it sucks that Curiosity is apparently having server issues that are impacting it, Molyneux deserves no pity for his inability to keep his goddamn mouth shut.

#33 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4280 posts) -

@jmood88 said:

Peter Molyneux is one of my favorite developers, even if he overhypes things. When he talks it sounds like someone who is genuinely in love with games, not just pr spin.

Exactly why I love the dude as well.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (23857 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@jmood88 said:

You don't think that these quotes aren't spin in some way? Talking about how he cried as a means to garner sympathy? He's underdelivered and overpromised so much at this point that I can't bring myself to believe anything he says.

Does anyone really believe that the secret in the cube is actually that life-changing? Because if so, I have a bottle of fairy dust I want to sell them.

#35 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1076 posts) -

I thought Curiosity was fine as a statement of intent for 22Cans, even if it was perfect server side its just a rich mans bubble wrap with a great idea. It got their name out there, and that's what it need to so.

Molyneux just sounds like a man who needed a much longer break from the grind of development, and is emotionally worn out.

#36 Posted by Young_Scott (85 posts) -
#37 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

That mans been staring at the stars so long he's about to fucking explode.

#38 Edited by HulkHanson (73 posts) -

It annoys me when people talk shit about Molyneux, he rarely spouts any of that marketing bullshit, and his ideas, whilst sometimes never fully coming to fruition, have to be admired simply for the enthusiasm that he delivers them with. He's always been a breath of fresh air and I would happily listen to him and his thoughts on the gaming industry than some other shmuck who's worried they might miss the pr department's booty call. And, yeah, his games have hardly been terrible either.

#39 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

What? Curosity is not a failure, if anything it is making people talk about it.

#40 Posted by pyromagnestir (4236 posts) -

I'm no head doctor or nothing, but this guy is starting to sound like a manic depressive to me... According to webmd:

The signs of mania with bipolar disorder include:

• Disconnected and racing thoughts
  • Grandiose notions
  • Inappropriate elation
  • Inappropriate irritability
  • Inappropriate social behavior
  • Increased sexual desire
  • Increased talking speed and/or volume
  • Markedly increased energy
  • Poor judgment

Anyone have any insights into Molyneux's sex life? Let's confirm this diagnosis! Giant bomb medical investigation team go!

#41 Posted by Mister_V (1190 posts) -

I wonder if Lionhead are hiring......

#42 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Lie to me Molyneux... LIE TO ME!!! I need hopes and dreams.

#43 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

@Ramone said:

#44 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

creativity is a gift and a curse

#45 Posted by chilibean_3 (1618 posts) -

Calling Curiosity a failure is a bit crazy.

#46 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

He may not deliver on his promises but I still love his games for the most part.

#47 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

• Increased sexual desire

Hm, he has seemed a little frisky lately.

#48 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4280 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@jmood88 said:

You don't think that these quotes aren't spin in some way? Talking about how he cried as a means to garner sympathy? He's underdelivered and overpromised so much at this point that I can't bring myself to believe anything he says.

Does anyone really believe that the secret in the cube is actually that life-changing? Because if so, I have a bottle of fairy dust I want to sell them.

...ok?

#49 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

Even though I've been disappointed by some of his games (but usually still enjoyed), it's hard not to like or be inspired by someone so passionate about their work. I know I tend to be overly ambitious or excited about something I'm working on, and sometimes I promise others (or myself) too much.

#50 Posted by aspaceinvader (256 posts) -

The guy created some of the best god games. Still love dungeon keeper 1 & 2. Peter has vision which he may not always deliver. But at least he try's to innovate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.