For those in the open beta: English Translation Patch

#1 Edited by Turambar (6484 posts) -
 http://www.darksyn.biz/two/pso-2/pso2-beta-patches-files/

The patch translates Menu options, item text, photon arts text, some quest text, and monster text, and will make playing the game much easier for those not semi-fluent in Japanese.  

Note that this patch was developed for the closed beta.  I haven't bothered loading the game back up again with this patch installed so I don't know how well, if at all, compatible it is with the open beta client.  Even if its not, keep this link bookmarked and check back periodically.

Edit: Confirmed that the patch is not currently working for the Open Beta Client.  A new one is in the works.
#2 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

I tried this and it sadly didn't work with the open beta.

Either I did it wrong or enough has changed to make these files incompatible with the newest version.

#3 Posted by adoggz (1952 posts) -

i think i'd rather play it in japanese. that sounds like it'd be way funner

#4 Posted by Rapid (1333 posts) -

@adoggz said:

Playing this beta is a excuse for me to practice / refresh my limited japanese.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

the SA thread confirmed it's not working for the open beta

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Ah dang, I could really use that patch.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

Wait, a thread for the beta? Wouldn't it make more sense to translate the full game? Or is there a chance of it getting an English language release?

#8 Posted by Turambar (6484 posts) -

Ah, that's unfortunate.  I'll update the thread once the new version is out.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, a thread for the beta? Wouldn't it make more sense to translate the full game? Or is there a chance of it getting an English language release?

I imagine that, if they have a way (i have no idea but it's not SUPER hard), they're tracking how many english players are signing up for this as a sign to whether this gets an english release or not

#10 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@adoggz said:

Ok.

Anyway, early indications on how the server side check works now may mean an English patch might not work this time around. Hopefully, they'll be a way to work around it.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Animasta:

Wait, this patch is official? Well, when I see "translation patch", I have a habit of putting the word "fan" before the entire affair.

#12 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta:

Wait, this patch is official? Well, when I see "translation patch", I have a habit of putting the word "fan" before the entire affair.

It's not official. It's a fan translation.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

there are still people playing without the patch, I'm sure there's pictures or something that says basically what hte important shit is

#14 Posted by jking47 (1190 posts) -

I am downloading it now. Will wait for a full English patch if someone comes out with one, otherwise I am pretty sure I can figure most of it out, I played a shitload of PSO episodes 1&2. Plus, I need to learn Japanese anyways, this is just another reason to quit being lazy about it.

#15 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

PSO-World has a translation thread for stuff like the matter board and quest details. You really don't need to know Japanese to play the game. It helps, but it isn't necessary.

#16 Posted by Commisar123 (1786 posts) -

I thought this game was half MMO half Japanese teaching software

#17 Posted by xbob42 (424 posts) -

I don't think I like that that site also tells you how to cheat/hack the game. That's pretty fucking lame.

#18 Edited by Calitar (86 posts) -

@xbob42 said:

I don't think I like that that site also tells you how to cheat/hack the game. That's pretty fucking lame.

My guess is that would be part of the reason PSO-World doesn't let people link to/ask for it. Also, I'm worried that the translation patch would get you banned thanks to the GameGuard anti-cheat software (which was not being used in the closed beta). Personally, I'm not going to take the risk and I've just dusted off my copy of Remembering the Kanji instead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.