Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Online 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese free-to-play online action-RPG which was released for PC in July 2012, and Vita in Feb 2013. The game was finally announced for a US release during E3 2019, for Xbox One and PC in 2020.

How is the Open Beta going for you so far?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SuperWristBands

I've been playing the game a little bit. Not too much, but I got force and a hunter to lvl 4. Really liking the force after I discovered hitting the enemy with a physical attack charges about 20 or so PP, making casting faster using cards. I can read katakana which has made a good amount of things pretty do-able but my Kanji is lame as fuck. I recognized buy, sell and forest but I doubt those would have been to hard to guess. Well, forest isn't obvious but the other two probably are.

I also just discovered quests and the skill tree. The skill tree took me by surprise; not only was it cool to see something like that in a PSO game, but it was also a wall of mostly unreadable text. I had to go online to find a skill tree translation but it was from January or something and was no longer entirely accurate but it kinda works.

I've also been playing with a friend who can't read anything so he has to share his screen with me over skype as I tell him what I can about what he is seeing.

As for the combat, it feels really good as a force and using a controller (I seriously suggest using one if you can). I like being able to blast a fool with magic balls of fire, teleport out of his attack, smack him with a science card and keep going.

How is it going for you duders? Got any tips/ questions/ concerns?

Pro Tip: Charge your spells. They do way more damage. I had a foie going from 20 to 110 with a full charge. Also Resta actually does something useful when charged.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DarkShaper

It's a F2P game right? How outrageous (if at all) are the micro transactions?

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

@DarkShaper said:

Sorry to say but I stayed away from all of that. I'll go hope in now and see if it'll let me into the store.

Edit: So I can't actually get to the area to see how much the game money costs but as for what you can buy there seems to be something that is a "Premium Set" that has the option for 30 (1300 AC), 60 (2500AC) and 90 (3600AC) days. No idea what the set actually is though. There are also mag reset devices for 500AC, experience boosts, scape dolls (items that revived you on death in PSO, I assume they do the same) that go for 1 for 150AC, 3 for 400AC, 5 for 600AC, cosmo atomizers (no idea what they do), also some scratch cards (also no idea what those do), among 10-20 more things that I can't read. If that is 1AC for 1yen then I feel like 500 yen to reset a mag is lame but I don't know how the points convert to real world money.

So, yeah, not all that helpful but it's all I can read. I really need to get myself a Kanji dictionary.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By StrikeALight

The scratch cards provide random loot rewards (decorations, mag boosters, hats, etc..) and can be purchased using the in-game FUN currency.

horrifying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By horrifying

Loving it so far. It's the sequel to Ep I & II I've been hoping for :D Mostly getting by on familiar icons & fiddlin' with the menus. Most of the icons are pretty helpful, but there are a ton of menus outside of the basic stuff.

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/ has been pretty good for that, though. RiggidyRow on Ship 2 if any duders are down to shoot some peeps.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Benny

@Horrifying: Using that guide I found the already patched version of the game that you can download from google, anyone looking to try this should do that!

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Benny said:

@Horrifying: Using that guide I found the already patched version of the game that you can download from google, anyone looking to try this should do that!

Oh geez. Does that save you from the 6 hour patch time? I imagine it would but I just want to make sure I am not mistaking what you are saying.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Benny

@SuperWristBands: yup

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperWristBands

So I joined some random person in a forest quest and it had this HUGE bug monster that took a good 6 people to bring down. The environments are sufficiently large enough that these fights become even cooler. Very long fight, very cool fight. The guy I was partied with left but I continued on. Fought a Rock Bear boss by myself at lvl 6. Took a while to bring him down but I didn't get hit once so I feel good about that.

The large fights made me love this game that much harder.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By drwhat

The huge fights are great, yeah. Wait until you get to the huge HUGE boss bug in the city.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xbob42

I had the HUGE city boss show up in my FREE FIELD FOREST RUN.

I nearly shat myself.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By xymox

I keep getting logged out, sadly. But what I've seen so far has been enjoyable. Character creation was really nice, some new ideas there + everything looks ridiculously sweet. I wanna make like a million characters. Ran through the tutorial for a bit, but again, a lot of forced log-outs. And now I can't seem to remember what server I made my character on...

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Xymox said:

I keep getting logged out, sadly. But what I've seen so far has been enjoyable. Character creation was really nice, some new ideas there + everything looks ridiculously sweet. I wanna make like a million characters. Ran through the tutorial for a bit, but again, a lot of forced log-outs. And now I can't seem to remember what server I made my character on...

Oh bummer. If you aren't too far in I would suggest making one in Ship 2. That seems to be where all the English speakers and GiantBombers are.

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By SoulTaker

I'm on right now. Is anyone on? May I send a friend request?

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xbob42

@SoulTaker said:

I'm on right now. Is anyone on? May I send a friend request?

Send one to Xbob42/Xbob45! If you want I can toss you a Team(guild) invite.

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoulTaker

@xbob42: Ok. Figuring that out now.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xbob42

@SoulTaker: Well what's your name?

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SoulTaker

@xbob42: Soultaker

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkShaper said:

a list of stuffs that cost money if you want to

• extra character slot (No matter what, your account's first character is free. That means if you delete your old character, you can always create another for free. But if you want a second or third, pay.)
    • extra Mag (same as character slot, the first mag is given to you free after completing certain quest.)
    • adding/resetting talent tree (think of this as dual spec in WoW, except you can go tri-spec, quad-spec...long as you can pay)
    • cosmetic stuffs(you can change cloths, accessories, voice and hairstyle for free. any options in the cosmetic saloon other than these are gonna cost you money)
    • item lottery(most of the item payout in these lottery are room decorations or cosmetic items. stuffs like wedding dress, Rappy costume, rare hairstyle or voices...nothing balance breaking it seems)
    • "premium functions" like trading with others players, extra inventory slots, more item bank and the apartment or "my room" that you probably not gonna use
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

@sate2801 said:

• "premium functions" like trading with others players, extra inventory slots, more item bank and the apartment or "my room" that you probably not gonna use

Thank you for this. I saw some premium set stuff in the shop but didn't know exactly what it did.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By xymox

@SuperWristBands said:

@Xymox said:

Oh bummer. If you aren't too far in I would suggest making one in Ship 2. That seems to be where all the English speakers and GiantBombers are.

Na, not too far in. I think that's the way to go. My japanese is just a bit too rusty to handle some of this stuff :]

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Giefcookie

I've played probably 30hours or so and the game is a lot of fun. Even though I've had to redo a lot of quests so many times just because of the language barrier. Finally got my mag yesterday and got into the Caves. Did the City Spider boss and a random spawn Dragon Duel event in the caves last night, both are absolutely amazing.

My character is a lvl15 Hunter called Casmia, If some1 wants to throw a friend request my way.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaLe

Maybe it's because I had never played a Phantasy Star game before, but I find it exceedingly boring.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By originalgman

I played a Hunter for a bit, which was fun. Even at lv4 I felt like I was messing dudes up if I used the right weapon and PA. Then I had to delete my character to come over to Ship 2, and rolled a Force.

While I appreciate how quickly PP regenerates, the force spells seem exceedingly weak. Do you charge the spells by holding the button down before casting? If so, for how long? Perhaps I was just doing it wrong. I also picked up a different Foie disk, and it seems to be a targeted explosion that instantly travels far, hits multiple enemies for more damage and is the same cost as base Foie. What's the downside to that?

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SuperWristBands

@OriginalGman said:

I played a Hunter for a bit, which was fun. Even at lv4 I felt like I was messing dudes up if I used the right weapon and PA. Then I had to delete my character to come over to Ship 2, and rolled a Force.

While I appreciate how quickly PP regenerates, the force spells seem exceedingly weak. Do you charge the spells by holding the button down before casting? If so, for how long? Perhaps I was just doing it wrong. I also picked up a different Foie disk, and it seems to be a targeted explosion that instantly travels far, hits multiple enemies for more damage and is the same cost as base Foie. What's the downside to that?

Yeah, hold the button down while casting and you will see some light the colour of the spell kind of absorb into you. That's when you release for far more damage. Also if you are using cards the light appears on the card. So if you throw it then cast a spell the card will hang mid-air and fire the spell from it. You can cast Rabarta - a spell that normally attacks in an area around you - from where ever the card currently is.

As for the other foie spell I have no idea. I haven't found a single other foie disk in 15 hours other then the base one and I even went fire mastery. I'll have to get gi or ra foie eventually.

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By originalgman

@SuperWristBands: These card weapons sound pretty dope, I hope I can find one soon. Space Gambit sounds like a cool class. Is three the maximum amount of spells you can attach to a weapon? That seems rather limiting compared to the older games.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @OriginalGman said:

@SuperWristBands: These card weapons sound pretty dope, I hope I can find one soon. Space Gambit sounds like a cool class. Is three the maximum amount of spells you can attach to a weapon? That seems rather limiting compared to the older games.

You can put four on but then you lose the physical attack which is too important to take off as it regens PP on hit. What I do though is put skills on the 1-0 keys. I'm using a controller though so I just move the D-pad around and hold the left trigger to cast. I imagine that it'll be a little awkward to hold down a number key to charge a spell while trying to move with WASD but you should still try.

Alternatively you could put three different spells on three different weapons and swap through those. I found that a little awkward to do though.
    originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By originalgman

@SuperWristBands: I just switched to a controller, so now I will totally fill my sub palette with spells. These are all very important aspects of the game that I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own! Thanks.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @OriginalGman said:

@SuperWristBands: I just switched to a controller, so now I will totally fill my sub palette with spells. These are all very important aspects of the game that I probably wouldn't have figured out on my own! Thanks.

No problem. I didn't even know I could charge spells until xbob42 posted a video about charging Hunter abilities. I also thought cards were mad glitchy when I first used them. I couldn't figure out why my spell charge animations weren't appearing on me (or if the card was out of view, then I didn't see them at all) and why my Rabarta would sometimes cast itself 20 feet away from me. It was super confusing.

I'm also thinking about doing something like an inverted controls mini guide. bumped.org didn't seem to have a guide for it so it'll probably be useful information for some people like me. Also changing two of the buttons (x and y) to the right shoulder and trigger buttons makes a Ranger far more playable with a controller.
    drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By drwhat

I started an FAQ thing over here: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/help-its-all-in-japanese/2404/

Trying to put all the stuff that took a while to figure out in one place. If anyone has more stuff that seems like it should go in there, please let me know. It was mostly a way to fill time while the maintenance was going on.

amena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By amena

I'm just waiting for it to be officially released. But I am curious if everyone is loving it too.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SuperWristBands

@DrWhat: Whoo boy that looks pretty good. Honestly no idea what to add to that.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By drwhat

: Glad you like it, thanks! It got put on the front page a little while ago. Pretttty cool.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By confusedowl

Having a hard time due to not understanding Japanese at all but so far I've figured out enough to have some fun. A part of me wishes that I had of started with the first game so I had more of an attachment to the series, but oh well.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SuperWristBands

I made a video on how to invert aim using a controller for PSO2. When I was originally trying to find out how to do this I found nothing online that specifically told me how to do it. Had to figure it out. It also goes over how to move the X and Y buttons to the RT and RB. Not something to hard to find online but it fit the theme of what I was going for, which was playing a ranger with a controller.

Hope someone finds it useful.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xbob42

@Ezakael said:

Having a hard time due to not understanding Japanese at all but so far I've figured out enough to have some fun. A part of me wishes that I had of started with the first game so I had more of an attachment to the series, but oh well.

Yeah, your life is less complete because you missed out on PSO in its hayday!

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By confusedowl

@xbob42 said:

@Ezakael said:

Yeah, your life is less complete because you missed out on PSO in its hayday!

Yeah I know! =( I've tried it before and it was fun but I never stuck with it so I don't have any memories of it.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JCTango

@SuperWristBands: The game has some interesting physics.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xbob42

Good times. Goooooood times.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SuperWristBands

@JCTango: D:

D:

Giving DoA a run for its money I guess...? D:

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By roninenix

Been playing for awhile and I just got this.

No Caption Provided
    ApeGantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ApeGantz

@roninenix: PSO has mounted heads now?!

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By roninenix

@ApeGantz: Yeah and I think I got lucky with it, got it on my 2nd run. Rarity is 8 out of 9 stars

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.