Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star Online 2

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a Japanese free-to-play online action-RPG which was released for PC in July 2012, and Vita in Feb 2013. The game was finally announced for a US release during E3 2019, for Xbox One and PC in 2020.

I'm in the closed beta, ask me some things.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Turambar

I'll get the one burning question I'm sure a lot of people out of the way first.  The game is free to play, and the premium content will thus far be coming in the way of perfectly normal items such as more character slots, extra storage, and aesthetic items.  It will also gate your access to things like opening up a shop or just trading in general (I don't even...).  There might be other things, but I'm not aware of them in game at the moment.

Edit: Timed license stuff like the "my room" and "trading" licenses come in 30, 90, or 120 days tiers, and for trading licenses specifically, costs 10, 20, or 30 Arks Cash respectively.  I don't quite remember for other stuff.  I'll bet that that translates to 100 yen / 1 USD per 10 AC.  Of course, this is the closed beta pricing, so it might still be subject to change. 

Feel free to ask me questions about mechanics you're interested in.  But I won't be able to tell you if it's better/worse than the first PSO considering my experience with that game was largely based on watching another friend play it during middle school

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

Is it awesome?

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ketchupp

Is it fun?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By egg

since you asked, here's my post from another thread:

Does the character creator let you walk around and compare your height to other characters such as NPCs before finalizing your character?

It bugs me to make a character that is way shorter/taller than I had expected. (since it's not like I'd have any way to know) (and other features such like size compared to NPCs and how ridiculous your character/outfit looks when running) It's a seriously big problem with the Phantasy Star titles. Especially when you have to sit through a ton of story before and after every attempt at making a character.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Turambar
    @TentPole said:

Is it awesome?

@Ketchupp said:

Is it fun?

Game play wise, yes, it's pretty fun.

@egg said:

since you asked, here's my post from another thread:

Does the character creator let you walk around and compare your height to other characters such as NPCs before finalizing your character?

It bugs me to make a character that is way shorter/taller than I had expected. (since it's not like I'd have any way to know) (and other features such like size compared to NPCs and how ridiculous your character/outfit looks when running) It's a seriously big problem with the Phantasy Star titles. Especially when you have to sit through a ton of story before and after every attempt at making a character.

No, you can't compare character height with other NPCs.  The character creator will tell you your height in centimeters, and around 180 seems to be average compared to the rest of the NPCs in game.  My Racaseal is 178 centimeters and she's just a bit shorter than the first story NPC you meet.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar

I should note the pricing of the premium stuff as well.  Skipped my mind when I made the thread.  License stuff like the "my room" and "trading" license comes in 30, 90, or 120 days so far, and for trading specifically, costs 10, 20, or 30 Arks Cash.  I don't quite remember for other stuff.  I'll bet that that translates to 100 yen / 1 USD per 10 AC.  Of course, this is the closed beta pricing, so it might still be subject to change.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

How similar is it to the first PSO or is it more like a modern MMO?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turambar
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

How similar is it to the first PSO or is it more like a modern MMO?

It is very similar to the first PSO that I remember.  The combat is pretty action gamey down to the timing based just attacks.  (They even included the somewhat annoying mechanic of forcing you to walk for a few seconds before transitioning into a run.)  Structure wise, it's a lobby based online game where you have a central hub and then you go off with a small party to tackle a stage. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.