Is anyone as excited as me?

#1 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

God damn! Phantasy star online 2?! 

I didn't see that coming and I couldn't be more stoked. After litterally thousands of hours spent in PSO over the last decade surprisingly I still havn't quite had enough of it.  

PSO has been the game I keep finding myself called back to. The dreamcast failed, i kept playing. The servers went down, i moved to the PC. The PC community made their own servers and i've been there ever since. 

Playing PSO with an xbox 360 controller and a keyboard on a PC using translated, modified japanese code isn't quite where i expected to be after a decade but here we are! 

Sequel time! 

I'm crazy, i know. But someone here must appreciate this announcement as much as I.

#2 Posted by Blueblur1 (344 posts) -

A lot of people are excited but it would be a good idea to throttle it though. The text that scrolls on-screen during the teaser trailer mentions all of the concepts used in Phantasy Star Universe and Producer Satoshi Sakai's been quoted on it being something new. Hell, he's been teasing for ages that the next major online Phantasy Star game would be different. This is just PSO in name only. I know I'm being pessimistic but it's very likely that this game will be Phantasy Star Universe 2 with a little bit of PSO flavor. If you want that PSO vibe right now, I really recommend you pick up Phantasy Star Portable 2 though. If anything, this next game needs to emulate PSPo2 and expand upon it.

#3 Edited by Downsize (133 posts) -

I played the dreamcast version both versionn 1 and 2 which completely failed to hacking and duping.  Still I loved it.  Then went on to the Gamecube, I ordered the ASCII keyboard/controller from playasia.com so  I could do all the the emotes the Japanese players were doing, and then the ability to chat way faster for the Gamecube version.  Then went to Blue Burst for the PC.   Duplicates of rares were common.  So common people were requesting un-tekked rares on forums to trade.  You PSO players know what that means.

i really hope with PSO2 the duplicating and the hacking is gone,  Im in love with the series.  please SEGA.  No hacking.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

Wasn't Phantasy Star Universe basically Phantasy Star Online 2? Didn't everyone hate that game?

#5 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

I think Jeff might be.

#6 Posted by hllchild (10 posts) -

Excited but wary of the PSU stuff that may be used in it. Hopefully they get the feel right and move back to the more original art style of PSO btu so much of PSU was just a bit off.

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I want them to either take it back to the old style / Guild Wars style, because of the kind of 'MMO' it is OR make it a true MMO.

I only ever got into the first game on Dreamcast, because I don't think paying monthly fees is worth it for the game otherwise.

#8 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I'd prefer a straight up single player Phantasy Star 5. I messed around with PSO on the Dreamcast, but I never got too into it.

#9 Posted by VZA (6 posts) -

Two things this game desperately needs are an split screen offline mode and a console release.

I don't care if the offline characters can't go online to prevent some sort of hacking/duping but it must be done.  Also, I'm not too fond of playing games on a PC.
#10 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Yo man, you gotta feed your mag.

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

You ARE crazy, because that shit was... shit.

#12 Posted by VZA (6 posts) -
@TooWalrus: you mean THE shit
#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -
@vza said:
" @TooWalrus: you mean THE shit "
No, I mean the opposite of that.
#14 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Oh shit.
Hype got.

This is great news, I loved PSO on the DC, even more on the GC, for a while I got into BlueBurst too.
Whatever they put out on the Xbox360 though....ugh...it was bad.

#15 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

I don't know. On the one hand, I played a ton of Phantasy Star Online back when it first came out; on the other, Sonic Team really hasn't made anything good for a while now.

#16 Posted by Tenshin (98 posts) -

Yes, I am stoked. I have been itching for phantasy star ever since PSU let me down. But it was cool. Kinda. Too grindy. Half-mmo like someone mentioned.

#17 Posted by Solh0und (1759 posts) -

Sorta. If I have a good enough PC to run it that is....

#18 Edited by Turambar (6677 posts) -

I forget where it was written, maybe in a Famitsu article, that hinted at there being a micro transaction based payment system. If it's going to be free2play, that'll probably excite me more than anything else.

That and FUCK YEAH MORE RACASEALS

#19 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

I played a lot of Phantasy Star Offline for the Gamecube, and loved it. Mom wouldn't let me play a pay-to-play game, because she had to pay for it. My first subscription game was WoW, when I had my own income. 
I'm going to keep my eye on PSO2. The video makes it look like an action game, which is odd. If the game is quality, (and it's made by Sega, so it probably won't be) I'll play it for sure.
#20 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing PSO on the gamecube. I have mixed feelings about this game.

#21 Posted by JustKamToo (664 posts) -
@Zidd said:

I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing PSO on the gamecube. I have mixed feelings about this game.

Yep my first month on the Dreamcast cost me £200 (ah the dail up days...) not sure I'll this one.
#22 Posted by Tenshin (98 posts) -

Wow 200£. Unreal. :P

#23 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

I'm super stoked. Just checked out a bunch of videos today. So nice.

#24 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

I am, though I have a Mac and I really doubt they will support Mac.

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

My fucking roommate is super stoked for this... but he's an idiot with a bad taste in games, so who knows.

#26 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Bloody hope this turns out even remotely as good as PSO.

Hell, I'm game for a remake of it on current gen with online, that'd be amazing.
But yeah, lets hope, else I'm stuck playing PSO on the cube for another number of years for the next try...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.