Any nostalgia for this game?

#1 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Phantasy Star Online occupies a unique place in my memory.  I played Everquest before I ever played PSO, so it wasn't my first online fantasy game.  I guess it was probably the first pseudo-MMO (feel free to correct me on that if I'm forgetting anything), although there weren't any fees to play it online initially.

The only thing I can safely say is Phantasy Star Online was my first really solid online console gaming experience.  Sure stuff like Quake 3 came out on Dreamcast, and that was pretty solid too, but finding games and the actual netplay was very poor on the standard dial up of that age.  I remember trying to play Alien Front Online, one of the first console games with online voice chat.  Boy was that a horrible experience.  It was fully limited by technology.

Anyways, I don't think I can even say I am particularly nostalgic for PSO, but I do have some great memories of those days.  I was ripping some content I recorded onto VHS tapes back then and I decided to upload a bunch to Youtube.  So anyways I hope this might spark some nostalgia in other gamers who also played PSO when it was new.  Hope you all enjoy it regardless.

Links to part 3 and part 4 so this thread doesn't become bogged down with too many embedded videos.
#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I recall many many racial slurs in the waiting rooms. Not to mention the  

B====D   

All the time.   

As I recall..the online was not laggy at all..when thinking back..surprises me. 

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  I don't recall as much racism and ASCII penii but in another part of this video which I didn't upload people were passing around weed references like we were playing Modern Warfare 2.  The internet hasn't changed...
#4 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

I played this game on xbox and it was great.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Wanna add I remember hacker who used keyboards to kill me..one time he killed himself. And I stole ALL his money and was able to log out before he killed me to get the money back. He had maxed money. 

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (12970 posts) -

None whatsoever, but I do have fond memories of watching my cousin play PSU for hours and constantly mocking him for playing it. I know it's a different game, but they're both pretty crappy.

#7 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

From the Demo yeah, but I didn't play the game enough to build any memories.

#8 Edited by Downsize (133 posts) -

I played this game way too much, version 1, 2, then blue burst on PC.  Cant wait for PSO 2!

#9 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I only ever played a Phantasy Star on the PSP. Phantasy Star Portable I think?

Not too fond of the series, but I acknowledge that it was pretty awesome back in the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.